People say Linux isn't mainstream but

It is mainstream in supercomputers

It is mainstream in servers

It is mainstream in hobby computing

It is rather mainstream in programing and development, at least as recognizable as windows and macros.

The public is aware of the benefits of Linux to a degree (through distros like Ubuntu)

The only place it might not be mainstream is kiddy stuff like gaems etc.

So how isn't it mainstream in the mentioned fields?

Attached: 1vqvWmv.png (602x500, 45K)

Yes, but desktops still 4% or so.

Normies use the preinstalled OS, so it isn't mainstream on >90% of desktops

>4%
Don't get too crazy there

Most people use desktops for fairly mundane stuff and don't have the time or will to switch from vendor provided windows

Sure they aren't the target audience of Linux but even then I think it will eventually encompass them, with Linux itself having quite passable office apps etc.

Hasn't even come close to happening in 20+ years. I don't see it happening any time soon.

>It is mainstream in hobby computing
>It is rather mainstream in programing and development
Neither of these is true. They use Windows.

Also, Windows is gaining ground for servers...

Stuff like SBCs almost always involve Linux, and clearly distros like ubuntu are widely used by developers

>Windows is gaining ground for servers
imagine
>Jow Forums is running on windows now
>browsing Jow Forums as usual
>suddenly server cannot be accessed
>on the server side
>Please wait... Windows is updating

>People say Linux isn't mainstream but..
They mean "hardcore" linux, android is everywhere

>citation needed

No they use MacOS if they don't use Linux pajeet. And windows server is not gaining in use. Why do you think Microsoft is opening up their products to be used on Linux also? They need to make money.

>it will eventually encompass them
Google is abandoning both ChromeOS and Android. So Linux development will slow down. It will again fall to 1% desktop use.

A good point

Every android run with a linux kernel. There is more people playing in cellphones than in computers, this mean that linux is top in gaymens too.

Wow wow woow
Chill androfagg

>It is mainstream in servers
wut

Attached: 1491923427773.png (1385x945, 200K)

Doesn't matter how many people use it as long as it works well enough for me (which it does)
After all, even 2% of the desktop market is a lot of people, and a lot of that 2% is power users, devs, sysadmins, etc. so things tend to be fairly well supported.

>212 participants
Nice try rajeesh. Easy to skew results by surveying certain companies. I work for a Forbes 250 company and every server is Linux.

Perfect system is a Windows host running loonix vms

>androfagg
Ohhh god, no.
I only use my cellphone to wake me and play music. I don't even have gaymens installed.

Care to explain why Microsoft has so much bigger profits from operating systems then, faget?

Attached: 1486738720589.png (507x316, 42K)

>2011
Nice try rajinsh. Here's a (You). Have you also considered the preinstalled windows that every computer in a store has that is part of the price?

Microsoft essentially ensures only they have the ability to properly fix and service their server OS to the fullest extent, as is with more propreitary software

except windows server doesn't update outside of critical security updates
of course someone who hasn't worked a day in their life wouldn't know that