Google to start charging for Google Maps usage

Google to start charging for Google Maps usage.

What the fuck?

Attached: alv.png (607x647, 40K)

pajeets btfo

>even if you want to only use free tier, you have to enable billing, which automatically costs you if you go over the free usage
wow what a ripoff, that's just asking for accidental mistakes

Year of the OpenStreetMaps.org

Attached: 1456875653362.png (298x256, 125K)

This is only for fags using Maps in their apps and shit, it will be free for We the Users.

MAPS.ME seems pretty good for mobile

This is for API usage. Can you not read?

strange it's as if Google is not a non-profit organisation

>Using API is not using Maps at all

Yeah well, after several years using their service (which is honestly great) for free, receiving this letter makes me mad.

>Jow Forums
>ever reading

You're still stupid; it clearly says they will continue to offer a free tier.

>Free tier as long as you intruduce your billing information, if not, lol sorry you cannot use it.

Who's the stupid, stupid.

I think OP already knew that, but tried to stir up fake, artificial outrage by presenting it as if Google were going to charge the general public to use Google Maps website and apps.

I guess you can set budgets of 0 for everything like you can on Google Cloud Engine
/thread
aka a shitload of apps will get wrecked by this new policy

>If you use Mobile SDKs but don’t use Street View on mobile, there’s nothing you need to do. If you do use Street View on mobile, please visit the Transition Tool page to ensure billing has been enabled. You will be charged for Street View usage starting on June 11, 2018. You can view the Street View rates on our pricing table.

Nothing to do or worry about yet for 99% of shit apps

>can't change language of the maps if you're looking at a foreign country
>limited functionality compared to commercial products in general
Can't wait.

Go to openstreetmap.org, and login to your account. Then click on your user name, in the top right corner, which will take you to your user page. Then click on the link for "My settings".

Part way down that page, there is a box for "Preferred Languages:". So you can enter the codes for the languages you would prefer. For Spanish, just enter es. Then click the button for "Save changes", then the OSM page should be in Spanish (whenever you are logged in).

But what about my Minecraft map renders which are hosted using Google Maps?

Is that a real thing?
It sounds too retarded to be true.

have you heard of this great service called mapbox?

tell them peter referred you

Attached: 1509602945122.jpg (403x497, 37K)

Still you.

Those kiddos should've used OpenStreetMaps, they walk against the wall that is closed source proprietary services. Maybe some will see the light and accept stallman in their heart

>free 200$

That's more than my rent. I'm safe.

You're on Jow Forums you tard.

Time to fully switch to the "HereWeGe".

Attached: Screenshot_20180502-233929.png (1080x1920, 636K)

Maps.me is just a handy mobile UI for OpenStreetMap, they make no maps of their own.

>Kristozozdhestvenskayatserkov'

Jesus fuck

Attached: double wat.jpg (512x384, 20K)

It's easy in Russian.
Translates to "the church of the Christ's birth"

>reading
>on Jow Forums
lol go back to /lit/ or something

HERE and Mapbox provide easy to read pricing, however Bing Maps requires you fill out a request for quote form. Good one, Microsoft.

I say it's you. Some of us here are developers and now we have to go back and switch to OSM on all projects we use google maps for if we want to avoid potentially having to pay up the ass. Even if it we go over our free limit just a little bit, it will add up to a significant amount if you have say 20 or more projects.

THIS JUST IN
Maps too successful, Google wants it to fail (and has ensured it will!)

>Search for some directions to a town 40 km near me
>It gives directions to a town in fucking Zimbabwe, 2000 km away

I was already migrating away from Google Maps. But now I have to accelerate it. Which fucking sucks because I don't have time for the coming month.

>alv
Fuck off underage spic

It's just for developers, not for you as an end user.

They're completely right to do this. There are apps that do the exact same thing as google maps does using google maps. No point in them. At least this will repel that sort of developers.

Uh, doesn't this change make it way better? Before if you wanted to use Maps commercially in non-mobile software you had to pay for a premium subscription/contract. I think I remember seeing $10k per year or something. Now it looks like it's pay for what you use with no contracts.

The official site doesn't have a proper UI for navigational use, it's mostly to edit, use and contribute to the map data. There are plenty of clients available, try maps.me

>Sad Akvarium
lmao

That's for devs, not users.

>aka a shitload of apps will get wrecked by this new policy
You already had to pay for API usage above a limit.
>we'll continue to offer a free tier

Basically they're just requiring everyone to set up a billing account, by the looks.

Furthermore, now that I think about, could this change have been influenced by Pokemongo changing its maps source recently to OpenStreetMap? Seems Google really would like developers to use its map services for gaymes

Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitänsarschlochhämorrhoidencremetubenhalterverkaufsverreinsanstalt

>registering for something that can be accomplished with a localstorage write