-Solid core

-Solid core
-Literally the most stable DE
-Great looking out of the box
-Can customize the living shit out of it and it still won't break
-Compatible with GNOME, MATE, Cinnamon and Budgie programs
-Idles at 300mb of RAM

It's time to grow up and stop distrohopping, user. Xubuntu 18.04 is the answer.

>inb4 muh screen tear
get compton

>inb4 not enough updates
it's really hard to improve perfection.

Attached: serveimage.png (1160x580, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-data-collection/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I distro hopped to Xubuntu 6 months ago, it got stale. Now am using Manjaro which BTFOs xubuntu out of the water. Fixed release distros are for old and boring people, rolling release is the future. All these distros based on debian are all just boring as fuck. Arch is using it's meme magic to reinvent the linux desktop

KDE Ubuntu uses less Ram in the 18.04 installation than xubuntu.

I think I might switch and stay with Manjaro but idk

so this is how FUD looks like

My workflow requires expose and workspace switching triggered by hot corners. skippy-xd does not work and these features aren't included out of the box.

>My workflow requires expose and workspace switching triggered by hot corners
kys

I'M TOO LAZY TO MANUALLY INSTALL SOME CHERRYPICKED FEATURE THAT HALF THE PLANET WILL NEVER USE
-The Reply

Screen tearing is fixed with the latest xfwm, but Xfce 4.14 hasn't been released yet and Xubuntu doesn't ship with dev builds of Xfce. The only bad thing about the DE is slow development. But yeah, it's the only 100% stable DE.

I don't really believe that bar graph that was posted here.
I checked out KDE, even if it uses less RAM, Dolphin doesn't pre-load therefore it can't launch instantaneously, it takes 1-2 seconds. I'm sure I could get used to it but I don't wanna.

>outdated packages

1- Kubuntu
2- Ubuntu MATE
3- Xubuntu

And I'm not really sure if Xubuntu comes before Lubuntu Next.

Fedora XFCE spin > Xubuntu

KDE use 450mb of ram on my 8GB ram computer

xfce is the first DE I've used since coming to windows and I love it - got it customized to a fair degree but still got a lot more to do.

One thing I've been unable to figure out though - is it at all possible to have only the window borders of program change transparency upon mouse enter/leave? I want the bars above programs to be completely transparent and show only when my mouse goes over them, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that, I've given up assuming it's not possible.

theres an option to hide the panel(s) or at least make them invisible until moused over... fyi.

Xubuntu use less than 350.

>lack of functionality
>shitty panel and tray management
>mediocre file manager
meh

>lack of functionality
source: your ass
>shitty panel and tray management
>mediocre file manager

>I checked out KDE, even if it uses less RAM, Dolphin doesn't pre-load therefore it can't launch instantaneously, it takes 1-2 seconds.
Dolphin is literally the only good graphical file manager available. 1-2 seconds doesn't make a difference.

I'm compelled to record it and post it here. It makes a very noticeable different. Shit should load instantly.

don't lie on the internet.

Attached: kdeshilldetector.png (1526x844, 679K)

I prefer lxde. besides the looking good part it's pretty much the same but lighter and slightly harder to rice

1. XFCE is not bad
2. KDE is good only on OpenSUSE, under 350 mb with poettering crapware.
3. No usar Windows, mierda.

mamador de verga dura

Why don't they just include a Compton config out of the box like Ubuntu MATE? Scrolling in Firefox after a fresh install looks absolutely atrocious. There is no excuse to not polish up your final build.

Try editing the start menu on xubuntu by adding a category and moving objects into it

Windows 2 minutes

xfce learn all about the menu file syntax
spend a couple of hours getting the menu just as you like it
oh you made a mistake it doesnt work
spend 3 hours learning how to put that right
ah fuck it - may as well just stick with wangblows

nigga how long has it been since the last time you used xfce

Yea that's for the desktop panels though not window borders.

I like xfce but thunar is shit, and screen tearing is real.
And systemd being implemented by default now...
I will have to switch to something less nonsensical at my next install.

All your points are valid but I don't see how that leads you to recommend systemded, non-rolling, bloated Xubuntu.

Mate > Xfeces > all

xfce is more stable and uses less ram. matelets btfo yet again

Xfce > KDE > Budgie > Mate > anything else

If I wanted to use a Red Hat distro I'd simply use Fedora.

i switched to mint xfce few months ago and i have never been happier

I don't mind XFCE but seriously I will never not hate having to use compton. FORCEFULLY.

Also, it's lacking on quite a few features and includes a very barebones file manager. Don't make me install Dolphin on XFCE for fucks sake.

>>source: your ass
>source: your ass

What more do you want from a file manager?

So what, we've got Gigs of ram today. Its not 1997 anymore, come join us in the future

source: long time xfce user since 4.6
it's minimal but nothing compared to gnome2/mate, never was and never will be. back then when nautilus wasn't complete garbage (gnome2 times) it would still provide more functionality than thunar. you kids just don't know how it feels to have to switch from a decent DE to a mediocre one

>10 yo laptop
>3 gigs of ram
>dual core cpu
>feelssnappyaf.jpg

what exactly is the file manager lacking ?
it can browse network stuff
it can browse local stuff
what else do you need from your file manager ?

>what exactly is the file manager lacking ?
The network browsing is buggy as fuck. Sometimes it just throws "no route to host" error for no reason while Firefox opens the FTP link just fine.

compton is a great compositor though

>connecting through IP
>no connection issues or anything

i thinks thats a network issue of yours my dude

>recommend systemded
cant avoid it unless you use some barebone obscure shit
>non-rolling
you enjoy upgrading everyday?
>bloated
define "bloat"

>of yours
If it were true then Firefox wouldn't work either. It's definitely thunar.

> cant avoid it unless you use some barebone obscure shit
Gentoo, slackware are neither barebones nor obscure. Void isn't barebones. That's just off the top of my head
> you enjoy upgrading everyday?
I enjoy upgrading any time I feel like it. I have just as much freedom as you to wait a few months between upgrades if for some reason I am masochistic and want to experience outdated packages, but I additionally have the option to actually get upgrades when they come out.
> define "bloat"
Having software that I will literally never use, nor is in any way necessary for any basic functionality, come preinstalled with no way to opt out during install

hah yea, i have arch with kde and on startup its 450-550mb

>uses Manjaro
>Thinks he can shit-talk any other distro

Oh I am laffin

Attached: 2018-05-03-153801_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 308K)

is it possible to make image drag on drop to save from browser work in thunar? one of my only gripes with xfce

I resolved those problems installing MATE programs. Dropbox for MATE (Caja Dropbox) and Caja itself work perfectly on Xfce and are better than the native programs.

If MATE didn't break so easily I'd totally use it instead of Xfce, but it's not the case. I even tried Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and just by testing stuff from MATE Tweak I managed to break MATE.

I too used manjaro until I realized Antergos shits on it's corpse literally as an installer

I made the switch from Xubuntu to Fedora Xfce recently. I really dig Xfce, I was just tired of Ubuntu's retardation.

What do I use to send compton.conf to config? Dolphin and nautilus and thunar are a no go.

Nice projecting.
Hotcorners are nice.

What distro do you suggest for a Plex server?

this feature exist in xfce

Attached: aQ3oo7K_700b.jpg (431x341, 32K)

Just use nautilus.

Absolutely agree. XFCE for new PCs, LXDE for old (but not super old).

>entry level pleb taste
>thinks he can shit-talk anyone else

>-Solid core
No
>-Literally the most stable DE
Pretty much, and it works.
>-Great looking out of the box
Yep.
>-Can customize the living shit out of it and it still won't break
Yep.
>-Compatible with GNOME, MATE, Cinnamon and Budgie programs
KDE is also compatible.
>-Idles at 300mb of RAM
Not true.
>inb4 muh screen tear
>get compton
It will not fix it. KWin will fix it and proper xorg config.
>it's really hard to improve perfection.
There are things to fix, like GTK. But it is too difficult to do that.

>>-Idles at 300mb of RAM
>Not true.

see

it's slow on large amounts of files, thumbnails are slow as fuck and aren't indexed as windows does it, property configuration of files and directories is missing shit like selinux context permission changes (nemo and nautilus can't do that either).
icon tray is just fucking horrible, default trays are garbage, like orange calender or the fucking framed clock with broken spacing.
project is worked on what feels like once every year

I agree, just switched (posting from a fresh install) and loving it. Out of all the Ubuntu distros and Mint variants, this one keeps me coming back.

Xubuntu and Antergos Xfce, the patricians' OSes

I've tried all the mainstream distros and DEs and keep coming back to XFCE. It's crazy to me that people don't think this is the best DE.

Productivity and functionality through the roof, no wasted space, prefect looks... And somehow it's only considered good because of how little RAM it uses. I guess people don't try customizing it and think it's like GNOME.

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't tried XFCE if you haven't used the xfce4-goodies.

pcmanfm. Absolutely shits on thunar.

Better yet, pull on your bigboy pants and use mc like a grownup.

Have some blueboard tits since I'm being a rude cunt.

Attached: peopleofplatt_28438863395_workshop last night.jpg (2048x2048, 484K)

>get compton
why do that when you can fix the screen tear with your display driver manager

my KDE works just fine, why would I gimp myself with XFCE?

you have my full support to continue being gay

>the most stable DE
i3 has never crashed for me. no problems.
DE's are bloat. Just use a WM.

>i3 has never crashed for me. no problems.
I had a number of crashes and programs not behaving correctly on i3.

What programs? I've never had an issue.

it's been a while since I've used i3, so I barely remember.
I think VLC wouldn't render correctly unless I fiddled with the window a lot.
I had a bunch of issues with video games and steam. steam had one bug that would trap all my mouse and keyboard input, softlocking the WM. I vaguely remember having some other issues getting games to render correctly, especially on WINE.
There was one program that would just cause the WM to hang. It was an internal tool I was using at work.

The only good thing to come out of xfce4 is thunar.

Sopa de kubuntu uma delicia

i like xfce because I trust the little mouse mascot

Attached: Wizard_pepe.jpg (323x250, 14K)

I have a shitty laptop, what DE and/or WM should I use?
Ideapas 100S, the 14 inch version.

>7 min uptime
Quit LARPing and go back to Windows

Even that's not great. The icons don't line up correctly.

Compton is shit, unmaintained and a hack. If the Xfce devs can't accomplish what other devs can do then I don't trust their abilities.

>no usar windows, mierda

Attached: 1525119835319s.jpg (250x209, 9K)

This. Best logo, best DE.

Why not Ubuntu with Xfce4? At least the official Ubuntu will be supported for much longer.

xubuntu has less useless packages than ubuntu with xfce and once the next LTS version comes out, I can upgrade straight to that before the updates for 18.04 end

Less of the useless shit in Ubuntu, fair enough. Gnome is okay but it's a bloated pig. So there's no Amazon telemetry on Xubuntu by default? Some say Mint has similar privacy issues; I can't tell if it's just people bitching about systemd or something else.

>So there's no Amazon telemetry on Xubuntu by default?
No, canonical removed the amazon search completely from ubuntu's search tool (part of the unity DE so it never was on xubuntu) in the 16.04 version.

makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-data-collection/
Ubuntu 18.04 also has a data collection service (which you can opt out of) but xubuntu doesn't have it at all.

>Some say Mint has similar privacy issues; I can't tell if it's just people bitching about systemd or something else.
One reason for this is because someone hacked the mint website couple of years ago and put on their own .iso that had a backdoor in it.

>Stable release: 4.12 / 28 February 2015; 3 years ago

>compton
fuck off, it's absolute garbage

How? werks on my machine

if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it

I'd switch to Manjaro of it had proper font rendering like Debian-based distros

>-Great looking out of the box

share some confy xfce setups anons

Attached: 1524951480130s.jpg (125x125, 2K)

>Idles at 300mb RAM
>Not true

Yup, idles at

Attached: neofetch-2018-05-04-04-05-28-6628.png (1366x768, 787K)

>4.10 released in 2012
>4.12 released in 2015
>4.14 will be released in 2018
Their dev cycle has been like this for a decade. It's the most stable DE, doesn't need that many updates. You're free to run the dev builds of Xfce which get monthly updates.

Does 18.04 offer any advantages over 16.04 other than the fact that 18.04 will be supported for longer time?

It's still screentearing, which is a damn shame. You could try to get kwin running, but when I tried that, the advantages of having Xfce in the first place vanished.

KDE is barely heavier and is a billion times better.

XFCE doens't even have Wayland support planned.

did you make a netinstall? so few packages you got there considering is Debian.