I just wish it wasn't $1,000

I just wish it wasn't $1,000.

Attached: Teenage Engineering OP-1.png (1200x428, 751K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h9tMFyKxbrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Should’ve spent more time on Jow Forums you’d be able to buy that by now

I've spent time on Jow Forums and now I'm a bit poorer

Attached: 20171231_025451.jpg (617x670, 126K)

Most people can afford it but it's just not worth it

There's much more efficient alternatives for getting the job done user, this is just for posers.

it's literally an overpriced fucking toy.
ALL OF IT you can do with a decade old shitty laptop running Ableton Live.

it's not the tool that makes the artist.

Attached: 1505974736799.jpg (300x300, 14K)

the op z is about to drop,just wait a few weeks
idk senpai, hardware synths just feel nicer when I'm making shit. it's nice to have stuff on a desk and twist knobs and have that feedback idk. I use all physical synths and just master in Ableton. stuff comes out easier imo.

>hardware synths just feel nicer when I'm making shit.
then don't complain about prices. what you want is luxury. you can some USB midi controllers and a laptop and have a great mobile workstation for a fraction of the price of this meme.

"hardware synths" were a nice thing when they were analog and not just tiny ARM processor computers with keys.

>ALL OF IT you can do with a decade-old shitty laptop running Ableton Live
True, but the appeal of the device lies not in the idea that it can do something that can't be done elsewhere; it lies in the fact that it's a surprisingly powerful single unit that requires nothing but a full battery.
It would be much easier to take an OP-1 to a picnic than a shitty decade-old laptop running Ableton Live. That's the appeal; the fact that this tiny little toy can accomplish something that can also be done on a huge laptop with midi controllers and cables and software (paid or otherwise).
I'd much rather just casually play around on my couch with just an OP-1 than, say, an Akai MPK Mini MKII + a laptop + Ableton/whatever DAW + a bunch of vsts + cables all over the place. etc etc.

or you could just get a $5 phone app that does the same shit, or be even cheaper and run puredata on a raspberry pi, you just are a typical audio brainlet who gets suckered into caring about "designer" devices

on the plus side the OP-1 isn't just a fucking raspberry pi

>have an idea for a song in the middle of the night
>want to quickly sketch out the melody so I don't forget it just until I can elaborate upon it tomorrow
>
>better boot up the 10-yr-old thinkpad, wait for ableton to launch and start mapping the MIDI controllers right now, this is gonna take a while
this is where op-1 has a slight advantage.
but I agree, it should be $600, not 900

have fun with that insane latency and those microscopic virtual keys.

Attached: confuson.jpg (900x900, 37K)

>or you could just get a $5 phone app

now that's where you have to fucking stop.
that's just outright disgusting.

My attention span is way to short to sit at a DAW for very long. I think it's alright though most of the fun stuff I find I get from used music stores or old wizards who have wives telling them to ditch their gear.

1/2

Attached: oberheimdx.jpg (1024x768, 298K)

i've got a ton of old gear, a bunch of new stuff too. they just don't do metal chasis and big ass sold knobs like they used to.

Attached: rhodes.jpg (1024x768, 297K)

market is ready for cheaper version of it or something like it
op-z isn't the same sadly (but still looks interesting)

Roli Blocks are a better option than OP-Z.
Same basic principle: connects to an iPad or iPhone and allows you to sketch shit out real quick but also doubles as a modular MIDI controller and is way more playable than the OP-Z. Those buttons are wayyy too tiny and stiff to replace keys.

I want to get into modular synthesis but it looks far too complex for my brainlet mind to comprehend.
Should I just jump in or is there some sort of class one could take to prepare one's self?

Attached: messy modular synth.jpg (640x608, 355K)

you should get an MS-20. it's 2 VCO's with a few different wave shapes that feeds into an LPF and HPF filter, along with a modulation generator and an envelope generator. it allows for external signal processing to. for a starter it has probably everything you need to learn basic subtractive synthesis without getting an actual rack and spending a billion bucks. the ms-20 mini is a great starter, if you get a real modular after that it can plug right into that shit.

yeah it is but if all OP wants to do is dick around in his living room then that's literally who those shit apps are made for

>insane latency
learn to use realtime kernels
>microscopic virtual keys
then invest in a small cheap midi controller, it's a fraction of the cost and more useful than some gimmick synthesizer

this guy sums it up pretty well. also a good tutorial to learn about synths in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=h9tMFyKxbrI

>not having a bunch of pre-saved sessions with everything setup beforehand precisely for that occasion
>not taking it a step further and buying a shitty casio keyboard for $1 at a yard sale and then keeping it by your bed

>tfw want one
>don't even know shit about making music

>tfw 2 years on Jow Forums made me more poor than niggers on welfare
t-thanks Jow Forums!

Then apply for welfare brainiac :^)

Your music would suck anyways.

Why must you hurt me in this way?

Attached: oze4t.jpg (412x351, 39K)

>>insane latency
>learn to use realtime kernels
Cheap? Yes. Convenient? Hell no.
>>microscopic virtual keys
>then invest in a small cheap midi controller, it's a fraction of the cost and more useful than some gimmick synthesizer
Missing the point entirely: the post

The OP1 is definitely not a toy, it's been used for way too many hits for it to be one. It is however not necessary to produce music, it's one of those luxuries that you should only buy if you're making enough money that it won't hurt your wallet. At least that's my opinion. The Ableton Push will give you more bang for your buck if you want real knobs.