When is more than 8GB of RAM needed

For someone who does not game, video edit, nor make 3D models. Would a programmer or anyone in a different compsci field ever need more than 8GB?

Attached: elation.png (2560x1440, 61K)

bump

Running multiple virtual machines.

Does anyone need more than 640k?

What bout personal tech related hobby like with a raspberry pi or etc?

would you consider 16GB plenty for 1 linux host and 1 windows VM for the sole purpose of bidjeogames? as in only one will be put under load at any one time

when you use firefox to visit one of those image sites that tries to load every single image in their database onto the one page.

When you use Chrome

I have that and upgraded to 32GB of mem. a waste of money, as you can count the number of games that benefit from 8GB+ (or 8 Threads, for that matter) on one hand. If you need, say 12GB for GTA V, just assign 12 GB to the VM.

at this point in time, usually virtualization. if you're running a bunch of virtual machines at the same time (maybe simulate a network for school) that's gonna use up massive amounts of RAM

That should be great.
Maybe, maybe not, but anyone with a little foresight should at least have expandable slots left to put in more RAM later.

I built my system with a 16GB stick and left the other one empty, maybe to upgrade as the system ages. Maybe I should simply save for a replacement at that point.

The number of cores is more important if you want to simulate a network.
You can use very minimal VMs and 8 Gb can be enough for 8-12 of them if you give them 512 mb of ram.

If you weren't such a newfag, you'd know that adding more ram (if you have 8Gb at least) usually doesn't change much the performances.

>ramdisk

If you use GNOME

if you scroll down in facebook you better have 64

I have two chrome tabs open, and a song playing on the spotify app.

8gb isn't much these days. Modern programs are RAM hogs.

Attached: uhoh.png (242x264, 6K)

If you write orchestral music using sample libraries. My old cubase template used 48gb just for strings, brass and woodwinds.

This. Virtual machines and Tabs. If you are a tab whore like I am I routinely crash an old Windows 7 core i7 920 machine with 6gb and no page file because: Browser Tabs

Funny thing it's just the modern Internet. When I was running opera with JS turned off when I bought it in 2008 tabs were practically unlimited and it never happened. Foward progress my ass.

tfw I have 4gb of ram because I still use a laptop I bought in 2011 and haven't bothered to put some more ram on it since ram is so expensive nowadays

Got 32gb of dd4. It was a impulsive buy, but I don't regret it. Plus I got it when it was relatively cheap.

I have the same question but for 8k ram

why is ram so fucking expensive?

Yeah. If you are doing DB related work it helps insanely if you put parts of it into ram for faster IO.
When extracting or decompressing big files it also helps if you have at least 32gb ram so you can just put the files into memory.
Obviously every VM and containers.

Attached: 12345.jpg (320x567, 58K)

major ram manufacturers colluded to artificially raise the prices. if you bought ram in 2016 to current, then you;ve been ripped off big time.

Always

Yea, if you use Java and give garbage collector free rein, you're RAM usage will skyrocket.

>Would a programmer or anyone in a different compsci field ever need more than 8GB?
I have a couple of friends who uses Net beans to program in PHP. That shit loves memory like jews love money. Apart from IDEs written in java, virtualization is also a factor for exesive memory usage. But i strongly suggest the use of Docker instead of a hypervisor like virtualbox or vmware workstation if you just need linux boxes to test your shit.

If you work with network, shit like GNS3 can be extremely memory hungry depending in the size of the network you are emulating.

Phonefags and shit

More ram you have, more is cached by modern OS Check how much memory is used in user tab.

Yes, even the so-called "minimalist" pages are only minimalist in style, they still download and upload a MB or so to all the social networks and contain 4000 lines of javascript just for stylesheet manipulation while you scroll. Fuck modern web design

DDR4 just come out. Manufactures have a cartel to protect their product and they rise the value for some time because they know that people will buy it anyways.

Point is I need a fat amount because I'm a fucking idiot who loves me some modded video games. And can't just play it vanilla

>they know that people will buy it anyways.
They kinda don't have a choice. It's essential to phones and computers.

Martin Shkreli raised a $13 pill to $750 because "he knew people would buy it anyways".

He did it for the lulz.

But many non retard countries can nullify patents for medications and allow other pharmaceutic companies to produce the exact same product and sell under a generic flag for a really inferior price.
We do it here in brazil, FUCKING BRAZIL!

You new here mate? Lulz is dead and fucking gone you ED trash

vms, docker, or just beingable to open browser + ide at the same time

Martin Shkreli did it for lulz*
Sorry, i got carried by the subject. Also, what is ED?

Docker

>Also, what is ED
A famous subreddit, go check it out

You'll be fine with 4GB.

This.

The Linux host and hypervisor software will run fine on 1GB of RAM if it's all the host is running and you aren't using Gnome. You can give the rest to the Windows guest.

>4000 lines of curryscript
The kernel I wrote has around 3700 lines of C and a bootloader written in assembly that goes on a floppy or flash drive that's 81 lines. Why is it that I can build a basic operating system that's smaller than the average web page? What went wrong?

Docker has a small memory usage (unless you are running some 5 different databases in your computer). And memory is not the first bottleneck in this case, it's the IO.

MAKE ME.

8Gb is the sweet spot for normies, eg 20 browser tabs, a couple of pdfs, outlook and a big excel spreddy at the same time. Pros might need more.

To browse the web.

Honestly, just opening a few tabs on Chrome, a secondary instance of a browser for debugging, an IDE and any collaboration tool (Slack not even being the worst offender) and you'll easily use a steady 10GB RAM. Then you haven't opened any media applications yet.

Lol

Always

Jesus. Christ.

People don't pay the higher price, the insurance does. If their insurance doesn't cover the cost, he gives them to the patients for free.

>You'll be fine with 4GB.
No I won't you fucking faggot

My home machine has 16GB which is enough, but my work machine has 32GB and i regularly use it. A couple of VMs running tests, two visual studio solutions, 20 browser tabs, one or two sql servers running. That shit eats up 20-25GB easy.
Mate of mine is an architect and the software he uses benefits from 64GB.

What's wrong with 4GB? It's quite enough.

using mozilla firefox

Whats wrong with 256MB? It's quite enough.

Yeah, it's a shame. My minimalist website is legit minimal - CSS and HTML only, no Javashit. I'm pretty sure it takes up less than 1MB or total space.

Honestly I get by just fine with 4GB on my mba from late 2013. Granted, I have no need of running VMs so your mileage may vary. I have Ubuntu installed right now (with a tiny macOS partition for fallback in the event something goes wrong) and everything is buttery smooth with KDE.

I think if you don't need VMs, a 2013-2018 i5, a decent sized SSD and 4GB of RAM is plenty for a Linux workstation. You could build a decent programming machine for next to nothing with those specs if you're not planning to try any gaming. (Though surprisingly, the Intel graphics on this thing can actually handle a lot of games prior to 2016 if you don't mind playing on low at 720p, probably better if I ran them on Windows instead of using wine)

When looking at a picture of your mum.

Attached: 1525173659432.jpg (249x249, 8K)

For example, Qubes OS 4 - need 64GB + for comfy working. It support PHV, HVM virtualization.
For Gentoo compiling - more ram faster compile time.
All distros that need Development tools.

he cute

4GB runs the Linux kernel, the Debian base system, XFCE or LXDE, Firefox with 10 tabs, Open Office, QEMU, the AQEMU graphical frontend, and Windows XP VM with 512MB of RAM dedicated to it, and it does this all at once with some to spare. I do this on my Corebooted T400 with 4GB of RAM nearly every day. The biggest bottleneck is video memory since the VM uses 64MB of it, and that old GM45 chipset has a weak iGPU to begin with.

>Whats wrong with 256MB?
It can't run a modern web browser and full desktop environment comfortably, if it could even run them at all.

For big ZFS parity arrays.

48K masterrace.

But 256MB is not the same as 4GB which is still enough.

>Would a programmer or anyone in a different compsci
Of course!

I hate this World

Realistically how much money could this guy make in a week? minus the electrical cost which is probably $1000+ a month.

Audio edit

Gaming dev: Unity /Unreal engines

Serious Graphic design
Gimp is an ugly, buggy and outdated piece of shit.
Krita at least is torelable and improving but it has KDEqt as dependency so it's bloated af

doing some heavy duty compression can require many GBs of RAM