What is the technical reason for Jow Forums not being able to support VP9 WebM's?

What is the technical reason for Jow Forums not being able to support VP9 WebM's?

Attached: VP9.png (1200x545, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

caniuse.com/#feat=webm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Browser_support
wiki.webmproject.org/zz-obsolete/devices
wiki.webmproject.org/hardware/socs
github.com/dnsev/4cs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

laziness

incompetence

There isn't one. The reason is likely that hiroshimoot and his gang don't want to enable it because they don't want to deal with sound on all boards given the amount of retards that would theoretically "abuse" it or theoretically complain about screamers or whatever.

A non-issue, essentially.

What does audio have to do with this?

greed

its the excuse they gave for a long time years ago

>The reason is likely that hiroshimoot and his gang don't want to enable it because they don't want to deal with sound on all boards given the amount of retards that would theoretically "abuse" it or theoretically complain about screamers or whatever.
>Already can't post webms with sound outside of a few boards (/gif/, /wsg/)
Is this nigger even trying to lie to us?

There's no excuse to give, OP is asking why they support VP8 but not VP9.

Same reason webp isn’t supported yet.

>yet
>Implying it will come

The implication is that they gave us an inch, we'd complain until they gave us a mile (sound on all boards).

I also can't speak to the technical issues with having to scan VP9 vs 8 for malware/etc or whatever else. Isn't it also the case that mobile browsers (where nipmoot gets most of his profit I'm sure) don't support VP9 for the most part? That's probably the real reason if that is the case.

we just ask to at least replace vp8 codec support by vp9, nothing about sound

VP9 is a video codec. This has nothing to do with audio.

>reason
historical reason was that not all browsers with support for vp8 could decode vp9. today it's just a lack of updating the site to support it. perhaps hiro doesn't know how

sound has nothing to do with it. sound's already restricted to just a few boards. they can do this with vp8 and vp9 or mp4 videos for that matter

See Fucking spastics. It's literally the next question every single time it's brought up, and you'd make the connection if you'd been here for any length of time. But the next part of this post is key, the mobile client compatibility.

If that was really an issue they could make default sound levels 0% for webms for all boards. Problem fucking solved.
They're just lazy.

>But the next part of this post is key, the mobile client compatibility.
Because vp8 is supported and not vp9 on mobile devices?

I've heard Edge support was as an excuse...
caniuse.com/#feat=webm

It's becoming stale now.

>mobile client compatibility
Isn't VP9 in nearly all browsers worth caring about?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Browser_support

Not with hardware decoding. That's important if you care about your battery.

Same reason they don't support mp4's or audio.

Their logic is that they want to 'preserve' the culture of Jow Forums by sticking to the tradition of it being an image board. In reality it's an excuse to never update the site.

It's why I'll never buy a pass or support Jow Forums. This site will be exactly the same 5+ years from now. Our only hope is if hiro quits and someone that actually wants to improve this site comes onboard.

There's no reason to support audio outside of /wsg/ and /gif/, and it would collapse those boards. Why would you want raw audio or video anywhere on the site? The only place raw audio would make sense would be /mu/, and that'd be such a liability for staff it wouldn't be worth it. Video can be accomplished with webm.

Culture of the site should be preserved, even though there's maybe 5% of users that even obey the original "guidelines" of the culture of any given board or the general site. The only improvements that could be made to the site are:

>open sourcing the software entirely
>overhauling said software
>banning all mobile clients, browsers, and making it as hard as possible for phoneposters to shit up the boards with zero effort posts
>non-Google anti-spam solution
>remove on-site archives
>actually banning people for misusing trips
>removing the nip and his staff appointments
>removing cloudflare botnet, setting up first party CDN/colo load balancer
>destroy general formats, destroy /vg/ entirely
>gas most of the nu-userbase
>remove all ads, remove the pass display in the namefield

Other chains have audio support and get along just fine. It always sucks not to be able to share a relevant clip here.

ten years later and insufferable idiot still bitch about screamers

wut? other imageboards support mp4 with audio and nothing bad has happened.

aids ridden owner

same reason why Jow Forums isn't a single page app written in Vue/React

There's also zero point in allowing for it. Other imageboards are irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure even Futaba supports audio on most of its boards. It certainly supports mp4.

>Why would you want raw audio or video anywhere on the site?
Because it doesn't make any sense for video to be muted. If something is supposed to have sound, I want to hear it.

Video is already everywhere on the site and it made no difference as far as how Jow Forums is seen. MP4/VP9 being allowed would greatly improve video since its possible to encode them smaller. It also means I don't have to waste time converting my files to webm.

>non-Google anti-spam solution
I think this would be the biggest improvement. Google's ReCaptcha fucking sucks. 8ch has it setup so you only enter a catpcha once a day and they don't get spammed to hell.

>destroy general formats, destroy /vg/ entirely
What's the point of this? People would just use /v/ to make the same daily threads which would be used as general. That's counter-productive. It's the entire reason /vg/ was made.

Most people use /wsg/ to post an audio webm then link to it from whatever thread they're posting in. It's so stupid. Just allow audio already

This!

There is tons of reasons to have audio. Audio memes are the best memes. If you want minimalism go to a text board. Why even support images, let alone animated ones?

>if something is supposed to have sound I want to hear it
Then use /wsg/, /gif/, or post an offsite video like we've always done. This isn't a necessary feature. Webms are meant to be a gif alternative, that's it. VP9 with stripped audio would be just fine.

Also, with more data being added with audio you're talking less lengthy videos and more complexity, which means more cost. Jow Forums isn't some dead literally who spinoff with maybe a handful of users, we have millions of users to deal with.

>what's the point of destroying generals?
I see you're new.

With /v/ in particular, there were non-stop threads with a general format before /vg/, yes. Most of that for awhile was pokemon stuff, which is why /vp/ was created. Then it spread to other things, and then to other boards.

However, if you also removed general format threads site-wide we'd maybe have a chance of reverting to the original chaotic, ephemeral threads that were the norm before 2008. It'd mean simpler, more organic discussion that you'd be able to glance at and see what the new hotness of the board was instead of setting up filters to autowatch certain threads, manually scan the board catalog for the only 'correct' thread still up in order to post nothing of value day after day. How many general threads are actually discussing something interesting or new or on topic? Not many, I'd wager.

But really I just want to be rid of you fucking cripplecuckchan phoneposting dipshits that have taken over this shithole.

Exclude normies from fun.

Attached: webm.png (609x85, 12K)

>Then use /wsg/, /gif/, or post an offsite video like we've always done
Why should I be forced to use an entirely unrelated board? And people are less likely to click links to offsite videos.

>which means more cost
That doesn't make any sense. The file size limit is still exactly the same, therefore the cost is exactly the same.

>I see you're new.
I've been here since 2005.

>How many general threads are actually discussing something interesting or new or on topic?
That can be said for non-general threads too.

Isn't wsg have larger files? Still pathetic from (gook)moot while hotwheels implemented much more formats and larger files.

They allow 4MB webms instead of 3MB.
Audio barely adds anything to a file size,especially since it's .ogg and can be encoded at 96kb. I might add an extra 100kb~200kb?

>"We have concern about sound and people abusing it to make screamers"
>Already can't post webms with sound outside of a few boards (/gif/, /wsg/)
>"Huh, we have concerns about compatibility, E-e-edge doesn't support webm, 2% of Jow Forums's demographic is pretty damn important !!"
>Edge now partially supports webm
>"Shi..huh we have concerns about support for mobile users !"
>VP9 in nearly all browsers worth caring about
>"Hum...hum...hummmm, huh, what about battery life"
Really nigger? gookmoot must just admit he's incompetent, like if looking at a few VP9 webms will have more impact than now... what next? "we don't want to because some users have bandwidth/data caps"
>VPx-supporting devices are too numerous to track.
wiki.webmproject.org/zz-obsolete/devices
wiki.webmproject.org/hardware/socs

>less likely to click
Good. You could discuss it instead and post short clips or images if you must.

>filesize is the same, cost is the same
Except when people insist on profiling the entire issue in a video instead of discussing it, which means multiple webms to chronicle the entire thing. Say per big post someone posts one more max size webm to fully explain it or three other retards post part n to really explain it, multiply that by n.

>been here since 2005
No you haven't.

And non-general threads are where the actual interesting content comes into play, as before the format took over and all originality was stripped offtopic posting in a thread was fine because it'd be gone in an hour or two on its own. Maybe the offtopic posting would even spawn a new, interesting thread of its own after the thread was over. You know, organically.

It's a question of scale currently.

Fine, I could not care less about audio, but a better compression for the same quality? Why the fuck wouldn't you want that?
Jow Forums can even save bandwidth with VP9.
Hope at least we will have VP9 webm support when AV1 becomes mainstream.....

gookmoot is waiting for av1 i'm sure of it

Where exactly did you see anything against VP9 in that post?

ignorance is bliss...

>pic
The chan plays webms in app without any problems

at this point just wait for AV1

Attached: av1-logo.png (250x139, 10K)

>they think AV1 will not be discarded by gookmoot for the same bullshit reasons VP9 is right now.

Is there a particular reason you're being a faggot?

because it will cause meme overdose

why do webms have a 3mb limit while images and gifs have a 4mb limit?

So people compress their videos smaller.

we used to be able to embed audio into pictures way back win and play it with Jow Forums Sound, but then moot completely blocked any pics with embedded files. audio webm would bring some of that old fun back

Bump

And then people abused it. Embedded malware, embedded file parts, etc. We also didn't have reliable spam protection until, what, late 2009 or 2010? Should we head back to color spam and boards being wiped for a few days every few weeks?

I'm pointing out that sound in pictures was already a part of chan culture, but were removed for security reasons. allowing audio webms would bring that piece of our culture back in a more secure way.

retardation

>still no sound for literally no fucking reason

Limited sound. On a limited number of boards.

love how hard you tried in your post and no one replied lmao

go find the long winded explanation by moot of how saving a few kb can turn into terabytes savings. thats why.

botnet

>Should we head back to color spam and boards being wiped for a few days every few weeks?
I am honestly thinking it would be better than Jow Forums's current state at this point.

I want APNG just to fuck with people.

fpbp

i think it's to save space. why would you turn down volume when you can rip out audio stream from video altogether?

he's using iphone

Mods hate fun historically, remember sound threads?

github.com/dnsev/4cs

because webms are bad mmkay

this, Hiro is an useless piece of shit, and this site is dead.