So the french government is apparently making a messenger service. Which got me thinking...

So the french government is apparently making a messenger service. Which got me thinking... I don't think I've ever knowingly used any software made by a government(or state agency) other than tor, but even that just to try it out.
Did the public sector(non-profits not included) ever produce any good consumer software?

Attached: 0417macron.jpg (1440x960, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dinsic-pim/riot-android
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ever use TCP/IP protocol? The internet?
senpai pls

Attached: .png (719x720, 262K)

Yes, mate. All of that is true, but I specifically said consumer software as in something to install and run or a service on the web would also be fine. Not protocols and stuff like that.

all smilies will be white flags and the moment you type in an english word the app will uninstall itself.

thanks, but no.

Are you trying to say the internet isn't a service? Are you a retard user?

Tor was developed by the US Navy

>software made by a government(or state agency) other than tor

lmao. fuck off of Jow Forums with fake news shit

>current ~US~ gov sponsors:

US Department of State Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (2013-2018)

National Science Foundation joint with Princeton University (2012-2018)
National Science Foundation via University of Minnesota (2013-2018)
National Science Foundation joint with Georgetown (2015-2018)
National Science Foundation joint with Rochester Institute of Technology (2016-2019)
National Science Foundation joint with University of Illinois at Chicago (2016-2018)

You are using one now fagot. The internet

Attached: morpheus.jpg (231x218, 6K)

providing internet access is a service, offered by your ISP. the internet itself is only a network

similar like an electricity provider which offers a service, but electricity itself is not a service

>did the public sector ever produce any good...
No.

I don't think it's aimed at the general public but to be used in French ministries and the sort.

The internet wouldn't work without IP, ARP, TCP/UDP, Routing Protocols, etc. most of which were funded by US DARPA grants.

A protocol is just a specification of a method, not a consumer software, brainlet. It's not a fucking program you can download on your machine.

>It's not a fucking program you can download on your machine.
Are you trying to tell me that I can't use any protocol on my machine?
Fuck off, any implementation of the protocol is using the protocol, it's not some magical thing. They are used in the real world.

Probably this.

And governments "make" such thing all the time.
They usually end up costing hundreds of millions and are far shittier than the consumer equivalence if they even work at all.

How often do you buy TCP/IP implementations? The standalone implementation of a protocol is still not a consumer software.

>How often do you buy TCP/IP implementations?
Included in every copy of windows, which is "consumer software".

Utilizing a protocol in a software doesn't alter its classification. Are electrons consumer softwares, too?

>Utilizing a protocol in a software doesn't alter its classification.
The implementation of the protocol is the software that is sold to consumers.
>Are electrons consumer softwares, too?
If you mean the hardware doing computations or storing data for the program, yes. The actual physical manifestation of the program includes electrons.

No you didn't specifically say consumer software you fucking retard.

This thread became a thread about whether the internet is a service/software. Not intended. TCP/IP is clearly not consumer software as in something the end user interacts with directly.

Literally the last two words in the original post, you complete idiot.

The French government has a history of producing soft/hardware, and, all things considered, they did a pretty good job.

Attached: minitel.jpg (620x465, 271K)

The minitel was a fucking joke, useful, but an awful design choice.

I've been expecting something like this to happen. European governments fund all kinds of stuff, and for tech stuff the only thing that has been holding them back is ineptitude and lack of creativity.

They are making a fork of riot.im.
It will be good software probably.

Attached: riot.png (480x480, 13K)

No, will be public but will not be use for any confidential data.

Source code of their messenger app:
github.com/dinsic-pim/riot-android

Dude. You are a fag.

Well I think a government run messenger service would be horrendous I've long thought non-profit video games have the potential to do something great.