Powerline adapters

Why is it so difficult to find reliable powerline adapters?

I've replace adapters something like 3 times and they all had issues where they would basically lock up and disconnect you from the network until you unplugged them. I live in a shitty 1950s house that likely has crap wiring which doesn't help but possible spikes and interference shouldn't crash the adapter.

Are there actually any brands that go for reliability? Reviews are useless as they only hook them up for five minutes and do some speed tests.

Attached: 61WOqw3n4rL._SL1280_.jpg (1280x775, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/TP-Link-AV500-Powerline-Gigabit-TL-WPA4220/dp/B00HSQAIQU/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're all complete garbage and the only reason ever to use them is if you're in a building with lead walls

>wall too thick for wifi
>wires too shit for powerline
>don't want to run Ethernet around the house

Living in old houses is suffering.

It's generally not the adapters that are shit, they're highly reliant on your internal house wiring be good quality.

If your wiring is shit, your powerline adapters will be shit.

Speeds fine, it's the adapters just locking up that's the pain. Shit wires shouldn't result in that.

It 100% does, I have seen powerline adapters lock up whenever a microwave was used on the same circuit.

They are super susceptible to certain high current devices like microwaves, hair dryers, etc.

>power line adapters
>reliable

pick one.

They are fucking shit, I use them and have to buy a new pair almost every year. With time they start to get slow and sometimes completely stop to work and have to unplug and replug them.

Pissed me off. It can't be that hard to make a reliable one.

I've had my pair for a couple years now, they work great.

I did have some of the random network disconnects that other anons mentioned, but i solved that by having my computer ping my router every 10 seconds automatically.

My adapters are rated at 200mbits, but my connection actually caps out at 50mbits when transferring data over my own LAN. I guess my home wiring is just getting old

It's probably just your house wiring. Some plugs in my room have horrible speeds and intermittent connection and one is perfect.

i'm planing to get one of these, should i? or just stick with 5Ghz wifi? my building is sorta new

I used some cheap TP-Link ones (TL-PA211) from one side of the house to the other side upstairs. They used to unpair themselves for some reason about once a month and did only manage to pull 35Mb from my 200Mb connection, but aside from that they never had issues with high current drawing devices and the ping was the same as being wired directly into my router (this being the main reason I was using them). My house was also built in the 50s too.

I had those exact model. One of the adapters developed weird high-pitch whine after a couple years.

In theory Powerline is better, just seems to be an issue of most adapters being shit. Outside of the crashing the connections are high speed and rock solid.

However if you can get strong signal throughout your house and never experience dropouts, dual band Wifi might be better.

if your house is wired for Coax you can always use MoCA.

Bonded MoCA 2.0 can get 800mbps+ in practice.

I highly doubt these are the issue as you said you've got a 60 year old house. I was in an even shittier 1930's house and this happened to me all the time. It's because voltage regulation was terrible and would spike all the time (i'd get beeps from my UPS all the time) and my network would shutdown essentially because the only other option was to run so hot the house caught on fire.

Run a wire like you're not useless.

>>don't want to run Ethernet around the house
>being this apathetic
You should just strangle yourself.

gotta love shitty cheap transformers.

I have the same problem.
Annoys the hell out of me. These things just sit there for an half of hour without even trying to reconnect and you always have to manually unplug and plug one of them in to force them to.

>reliable
>TP-Link

I thought about getting one pair of these, but the powerline circuits are a lil bit weird in my house, they seem to be overlapping.

So I'm not sure they would even work.

I'm glad I didn't buy yet.

Will probably just get some cable and an extra simple router to extend the reach of the network in the house.

How can you tell if your house is a good fit for powerline?

>walls too thick for wifi
Suck yourself.

I've had mine for almost 2 years now and haven't needed to unplug mine due to lock ups and disconnections.

amazon.com/TP-Link-AV500-Powerline-Gigabit-TL-WPA4220/dp/B00HSQAIQU/

This is tthe one I'm using now.

I would sooner relocate, at great expense, than live with the indignity of ethernet-over-AC.

They're shit. Tried using them and they'd fucking drop out every time the boiler turned on/off, the microwave got turned on, someone in the next road farted, etc. In the end I just ran flat ethernet cable under carpets.

This. What OP described is a common issue you can solve just by pinging your router. A firmware update should normally be enough, but these have no way for you to do that.

just asking, do you live in america?

This. As soon as I boot my PC I just open a command prompt and run
ping -t 192.168.1.1
and drag the window to an unused virtual desktop. Have had zero disconnections since. I think it has to do with some sort of power saving feature on the powerline adapters that I was too dumb to figure out how to disable

Also in b4 insults for not automating - if I started the script via Windows' task scheduling tools it would only run for like 2 hours before killing itself. I forget the timing but it wasn't forever.

I wasn't able to get it fully automated through the task scheduler either, but a better way to do that is to turn your bat file into an executable through iexpress and just dump a shortcut of that file in the Startup folder. Just works.

Oh, and by the way turning it into an executable is done so you can actually hide the cmd window, otherwise a bat file would work too.

my d-link pair work flawlessly and have for over a year
maybe your shitty american voltage and wiring or shitty euro wiring aren't up to the task?

I got a TL-WPA8630P + TL-PA8010P and haven't touch them since the day I plugged them. In fact I am on the fence on wiring my house with cat6 or just use Powerline. The only thing I am missing is PoE for 2 devices.