KDE vs Gnome (rant)

Since I cannot use Gnome and still enjoy my life, I recently gave KDE another try and it has actually changed a lot.

It used to be that Gnome2 was simple, elegant and easy on resources. Now it's exactly the other way around. KDE has a super sleek and professional look (especially the dark theme) and is customizable in every imaginable way, while Gnome looks like a kid's toy and feels like it, too. While trying to copy Apple, they've created something that is worse than MacOS ever was. I've taken shits that looked more coherent than Gnome's current design and probably would have had a better use as a computer desktop, too.

And here it comes:

I installed the latest Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu (LXDE) for testing. Fresh install with all defaults. Memory usage:

Lubuntu: 275MM
Kubuntu: 480MB
Gnome: 1015MB

Like.. are you fucking kidding me Gnome.

tl;dr: Don't like Gnome, give KDE a try. It's good.

Attached: dynamictheme3.png (1920x1080, 942K)

I know, right. I'm just waiting for KDE Neon to update their base.

Saw your original post on Reddit and was very moved by it. You got my upvote. Just thought I'd drop by and let you know.

I agree, I run KDE Plasma on Gentoo. comfy af

redditors off my board
thx

KDE master race

I stole that screenshot, sorry to disappoint. Not OP from Reddit.

But the default Kubuntu dark theme looks even better imo, I just don't have a screenshot here.

I like KDE best because it's the most windows vista out there

No, I can tell by your unique use of words you are the original author. It's fine, relax, Reddit's campaign against Gnome deserves to be seen elsewhere. People need to be made aware of the scary, angry, men behind the Gnome project. *fries you some bacon*

KDE has its share of issues but it is by far the best DE considering all the alternatives.

You even write reditty style. Gnome and reddit are both shit, but reddit more. We don't like you here, gtfo.

Fractional display scaling is somewhat decent on KDE

On Gnome everything becomes blurry lol

>tfw KDE with Freeze window borders and some theme that makes the panel translucent

Attached: 1516971661528.jpg (512x512, 74K)

#### AN OPEN LETTER TO THE GNOME PROJECT####
Dear Gnome developers,
Without your usual bile laced,mansplaining,rants,please justify your removal of desktop icons and total disregard for the feelings of
those of us who want a proper file picker. Your decision to exclude these two items from your desktop environment simply reeks of facism,and leaves many of us feeling oppressed and alienated. Please put your outdated, machismo ideals in the trash and open your eyes to the diverse wants and needs of your users from the Reddit/Jow Forums communities. We're a diverse group, full of wonderful ideas and we truly have our fingers on the pulse of technology.We only want to help. KDE devs listened and they now have a great desktop.

Attached: dankest_dead.jpg (2048x2048, 208K)

>DE
why?

This. Puts. A. Smile. On. My. Face.

Attached: i3w8ky38zov01.jpg (720x877, 54K)

Yeah, KDE is pretty nice, I would use it if actually wanted to torture myself and use linux

Have you tried MATE? It's basically GNOME before they decided to go with their retarded design.

Sad thing is those gnome fuckers are sure their piece of shit is "default" Linux and they even appropriate GTK+

I understand people how likes Gnome, I was one of those peoples. It just worked for me.
But, you have to learn to live with it's limitations and at the end of the day it's unbelievable unoptimized, an embarrassment. How that limited DE can use so much resources and be so slow?
Now I'm on KDE and all praises are deserved. Out of the Box is just a better DE, and it gives you all options it can to please you, and none of it it's in your face, it's all out of the way. And it does this using as little resources as XFCE, a good example of optimization and intelligent use of resources.

How the Gnome and GTK community derailed so bad? All news you hear of then is just about making the DE work, not better. It's a plague that needs to be corrected.

Kubuntu 18.04 here.
So comfy my man, so comfy.

I would use MATE if Plasma wasn't so good.

I like every desktop environment but gnome is so bloated that it actually needs to be rewritten imo and it's a shame too because If it wasn't so jerky and cpu intensive, It would actually be pretty sweet and very nice for tablets

They finally fixed the memory leak, but yeah, the entire Gnome Shell running on the same thread is absolutely retarded. I, personally, haven't experienced any issues with it, but it seems like a really bad idea. Also, when Gnome 4 comes out, all of the extensions I've come to know and use, will no longer work. It's really depressing to know the whole cycle of bugs and regressions is going to start all over again. It's the similar to the shit I went through with KDE (and the reason I dropped KDE). Prolly going to go with Budgie when it goes QT.

Don't use either, they're both shit

Wish there was some other toolkit for graphics.
GTK+ ist turning to shit by gnome guys and qt is ugly and has 1000000 deps for everything

>It's a plague that needs to be corrected
Agree.
Wish somebody else was updating GTK+ instead of them.

>It would actually be pretty sweet and very nice for tablets
Yes.
But they want to push that shit to actual PCs.
And they cripple everything for that.
Yet still use more resources than windows 10.

You KDE shills are getting on my nerves. Just use the DE thats best for you and stop making threads

Indeed. I was very surprised by how well KDE runs and how customizable it is (without fucking around in absurd config files).
I still have some occasional problems with it because Gnome likes to pretend that it's THE linux desktop, ruining compatibility for other DEs.

>How the Gnome and GTK community derailed so bad?
They're all Big Idea people. Back when they switch from Gnome 1 to Gnome 2 people had to beg to get the file tree back in nautilus because the gnome people were mesmerized by this Big Idea of spacial browsing (whatever that means).

I want a DE made by obsessive refinements, not sweeping visions.

>I want a DE made by obsessive refinements, not sweeping visions.
Xfce?

That's what I'm using now. But it's more a good-enough approach which is, well, good enough.

Oh god I remember that spatial file manager bullshit. Possibly the dumbest thing the Gnome project has ever come up with.

KDE is the Arch of DEs. They're self important and have an inferiority complex that they try to ease this by letting EVERYONE ELSE know that they use Arch/KDE. They insist that they need whatever bullshit to do "real work" which is curious since you'll never find either of them in a professional environment.

KDEfags are absolutely livid that no distro worth a damn cares about their windows clone DE and will find every opportunity(or manufacture one) to cry about something that Gnome has done. They actually can't comprehend why Gnome is successful and think that if they scream about desktop icons and thumbnails enough that people and companies will abandon their coherent design and optimized workflow.

Attached: login.png (1604x1168, 130K)

>Gnome devs actually believe that
I'm not using any DE, but if I was forced, it will definitely NOT be gnome.

nah, it still looks amateurish, and definitely less coherent than gnome

It's been mentioned before but; MATE. It's my favorite by far, light on resources, looks good. It's turning into a meme but i don't care because its so good. It's pretty much what I feel a DE should be

14 years

Attached: gtkfilediafrog.png (742x828, 232K)

can i do the blur thing in kubuntu 18.04 or is it only for kde neon?

Attached: 1523382012875.png (1838x1966, 1.32M)

Every time I try KDE I lose my will to live after just few months (or upgrades). It's literally less painful compiling GNOME for elogind and patching it for things like typeahead every 6 months

The issue with Gnome is quite simple, it's not aesthetically pleasing.

Take Windows for instance, it is quite a beautiful beast, you can see that effort went into it, and it's easy on the eye. It also blends into the background so you can work (inb4 forced restarts)

KDE has actually looked at Windows, and to some extent emulates it's aesthetics, to anyone who once used Windows it looks natural and although it's not as nice as Windows, and still lacks proprietary polish, its most definitely more attractive than Windows.

Gnome is out of proportion, buggy, and unintuitive. Due to it being so horrid to use, nothing can be overlooked. The fonts are horrid, they use SANS out of the box, wtf? So basically every single image of it online that has it vanilla look like shit, and thus ISOs like tails look like shit.

I cannot understand why anyone would use this DE in their distros. Ubuntu maybe because they'll make it into something half-decent. But it's a complete load of shit.

rant over.

Gnome's coherence falls apart the moment you open a non-Gnome program or even their own terminal which still uses a menubar by default. KDE's doesn't.

For me, GNOME user, the issue is the Shell, a monstrosity I can't believe paid programmers at Red Hat came up with. I like the look of GNOME way better than KDE or Windows, though

Is there any series reason as to why such a frequently requested feature has never been put in?
Is Nautilus/GTK just that much of an absolute fucking mess?

KDE's coherence bla bla bla the moment you open a GNOME program or their own kirigami apps. Just to make you realize the level of your nonsense

KDE is built with tried and true UI paradigms like status icons and menu bars in mind. Gnome says "fuck all that" and does their special snowflake thing making anything not developed with Gnome (or elementaryOS I guess) in mind not fit in. On top of that Gnomebhas pretty bad integration foe non-GTK apps making them look even worse. KDE themes GTK applications pretty well.

Just drag it from the file manager that you already have open. The filepicker is basically a legacy feature for dinosaurs who have one window open at a time.

>the moment you open a GNOME program
Which of the 5?
Or did you mean GTK+ Programm?
If the latter, there are themes that support both GTK+ and Qt.

If you meant gnome program, then it's because they look like out of place shit anywhere except gnome. And even then they look like shit if other GTK+ Apps are open.

Pretty comfy with Fedora-KDE spin

>Just drag it from the file manager that you already have open.
I don't.
When I do my file manager doesn't support mouse.

Just use MATE

Every time I have a secondary or tertiary machine for whatever purpose (server, gaimz, testbed) I go with a different distro and/or desktop environment, and the only setup that doesn't make me want to kill myself out of the box is KDE. The shit is simple enough that I can hand it to any of my normie friends and they can do whatever on it and it has all the shit a desktop environment should day one and if you feel so inclined, you can go as crazy as you want with customization and other bullshit. It's great

>Gnome says "fuck all that"
In real world, it's somewhat the style you are already accustomed to on your smartphone.
>bad integration foe non-GTK apps
That's your stupid Qt changing the styler around 5.7 or so...
>Or did you mean GTK+ Programm?
I meant specifically GNOME programs, to make the guy realize that if you mix different higs and they don't match it's just duh. Captain Obvious on the watch!

agreed

Attached: Screenshot_20180426_202322.png (1366x768, 1.38M)

The good thing is that GTK+ seems to be slowly loosing ground. Two desktops are switching to Qt now and a bunch of popular applications like Krita, OBS, Dolphin Emulator and a whole lot more are using it. These are all high profile apps. If you compare that to relatively new GTK applications the quantity still seems larger but a huge part of it is all really simple small apps. Just look at the elementary app store they're so proud of. Nothing but that.
The future looks good for Qt adoption.

I think it's a wontfix

Problem is I don't like Qt either.

I was happy with GTK+2. But his even GIMP and xfce are being posted to GTK+3

What's wrong with Qt?

Millions of dependencies (sometimes very strange ones) and never really liked as good as some GTK+ themes.

MOCs

The now infamous memory leak makes no difference when the thing already uses by default triple the memory of the competitors.

The dependencies are partially down to Qt having things more separated than GTK (which is a good thing), Qt doing a lot more than GTK and it's also partially to blame on maintainers, many of which just have packages depend on all of this.
As far as themes go I'd say it's mostly down to GTK having been the leading toolkit for a long time. All the most popular themes currently seem to be available for KDE at least and the separation of themes in KDE is far superior to GTK theming.

not an issue
this is an issue

>I was happy with GTK+2
Enjoy TERRIBLE HDPi support

>Enjoy TERRIBLE HDPi support
You know what I really enjoy?
Ability to set the correct DPI for fonts without scaling UI or getting terrible giant smudged icons.
Something GTK+3 is completely incapable of.

So you scale each app individually? nice one.

We can tell you're from Reddit, you use fucking Redditch spacing. You need to go back. Sage in all fields

>dat memory usage

Attached: file.png (929x710, 143K)

Stop. Typing. Like. This.

>Kubuntu: 480MB
Bloatware, OpenSUSE does 350 MB with KDE.

>kde
>arch
KDE works out of the box, KDE doesn't do shitty package grouping, KDE is easy to use. I could go on

I'd like to install Gentoo Linux + GNOME3 without systemd but as I read GNOME3 doesn't support openrc therefore I'm obliged to give KDE a try, r-right?
>inb4 TWM advices
I work mostly in tmux env, not interested at all in another twm like i3, xmonad, etc.

if I am using KDE and I install gnome to try it out but then dont use it, does my start up RAM rise anyway?

>dependent on systemd

nah

GNOME has been patched by Gentoo to work with OpenRC but it takes some extra configuring.

>but it takes some extra configuring.
welcome to linux

Maybe they're a Mac user and their spacebar is broken? If you leave autocorrect turned on, it'll put a space after periods with more than a single character before them and capitalize new sentences.

does anyone here have links to the threads on gnome bugzilla where the devs are closing feature requests.

there was one where they just closed with no explanation

another where they just said, "No."

Honestly, I was on the "GNOME sucks, KDE is the best" train for a while. But then I started to think for myself instead of just lapping up the GNOME hate. I started reading up about the GNOME philosophy and history, especially on Allan Day's blog. I had an epiphany. I saw the light.

GNOME is actually great. Yes, it has its issues, but so does KDE and everything else. None of the existing DEs are perfect. But GNOME is honestly the best there is. It's the standard Linux desktop for a reason. What KDE has over it are more features and customization, and better performance. But GNOME has a polished, user-friendly design. It's aesthetic, it's uncluttered, it's easy to understand and operate. They do actual user testing to see what makes sense to users and what works. KDE is a clusterfuck of menus and options all over the god damn place, and no sane defaults. It takes hours of going through all the settings to get it to work right.

I've honestly really come to appreciate and respect the GNOME guys for what they do. I still respect KDE as well, but I've switched to GNOME and am enjoying it a lot. It just looks and works great out of the box, or maybe with a couple of extensions to fix things up. It really is a much nicer and more polished experience than KDE.

Plus GNOME has the best Wayland support by far, and is more stable than KDE. KDE is a buggy, crashy mess, and barely functions at all on Wayland.

I do like how KDE follows standards and traditions, and the global/titlebar menu thing. But I also like how GNOME is innovating and isn't afraid to change things up and tell people to fuck off if there's a better way. Headerbars are actually really nice now that I've given them a chance, especially considering that a Unity HUD like feature is still possible with them (see the GNOME Plotinus extension). Firefox can even be styled with headerbars using userChrome.css (look up firefox-gnome-theme), and it looks awesome and fits right in. I love it.

I really don't feel like I'm missing much from KDE to be honest. I thought Dolphin was the best, and the file-tree sidebar was neat, but GNOME Files looks way better aesthetically and has some cool features of its own. GNOME provides an entire suite of software that's all cohesive and integrated with the system in a polished way, whereas KDE is just a mess. I suppose the only real thing is the file picker thumbnails, but it seems like they're finally working on that after all these years. I saw something on the bug tracker about making GNOME Files work as a file picker.

It feels to me like KDE has most of the developers and GNOME has most of the designers. The design, the front end, the user experience, the cohesiveness, the aesthetics, etc. are all so much better on GNOME. But I can't deny that GNOME uses up far too many system resources, and lacks features (like the file picker thumbnail), etc. There is no best. But between the two, I pick GNOME now.

Nice pasta.

is it worth installing kde base for a few kde programs like dolphin and the image viewer? Not using a DE

Dolphin is the best file manager there is unless you really want a commander style fm or miller columns. Totally worth it. Not worth it for Gwenview though imo.

I used to prefer GNOME, but I switched to KDE when I switched to Gentoo, because getting GNOME and systemd running on Gentoo is a fucking hassle. Now that I gave KDE more of a chance, it's unironically better.

>So you scale each app individually?
No.
I use lxappearance.

Once again, GTK+2 dir What I need easily and perfectly, GTK+3 sucks ass.

Lxde master race reporting

>GNOME has a polished, user-friendly design.
Hahahahaha. No.
It's some gimped tablet interface that looks awful by default.

>the standard Linux desktop for a reason
It's not. There is no "default".

>GNOME is innovating and isn't afraid to change things
You mean cripple, remove features and break compatibility on purpose? Yeah, great.

>entire suite of software that's all cohesive and integrated with the system in a polished way,
What? While KDE actually feels tight, integrated and feature full out of the box, Gnome looks like a cheap Chinese tablet interface.
There is no integration.
There is nothing like KDE's kio.

Oh, and the way it relies on systemD is awful.

>There is nothing like KDE's kio
what do you mean?

Fuck off back to that place you turbonigger

Unstable builds of Neon. This is supposed to be a 5.13 feature.

I approve of this message.
GNOME2 then Unity user, can't stand GNOME3.
Thought KDE3 was bloated
Laughed at the KDE4 mess.
KDE5 is pretty much perfect though.

Attached: shot.png (1244x524, 106K)

>both slow and laggy
>both have file scanner for whatever reason that kidnaps full core whenever I unzip archive or clone git repo
>both have trash file manager
>both have trash workspaces controls
>both take forever to turn on
>personally consider GTK and Qt to be ugly (from programming perspective) desktop widgets and both Gnome and KDE put yet another wrapper around it
I lost faith in Linux desktop ever getting good and since I'm not planning to use Apple or M$ any time soon I don't see any other option then quitting computers for good.

first of we don't fucking need a campaign to know that Gnome is shit.
Then comes the big issue... WHY THE FUCK YOU HAVE TO CAMPAING? HOW KEKED ARE YOU!!!

you fucking redddit piece of shit, stop engaging in free propaganda, shit communist like you have to burn and go back to plebbit we don't fucking care about your drama! shut the fuck up and leave!

Just installed Kubuntu on a laptop with Nvidia Optimus, and when I reboot after switching from the dedicated card to Intel graphics it won't boot. I didn't have this problem with standard Ubuntu and Gnome, OP you're a faggot and you made me lose precious time

Retard. You have horrible tastes in aesthetics, you're burying your head in the sand and ignoring that it is shipped by default by all major distros, are ignoring the popularity and success of GNOME, etc. etc. You're welcome to your own opinion, but it's just your individual opinion. Most people love GNOME and use it every day.

Look, at the end of the day, you have to just accept that GNOME is the best. It's the king. It's the standard Linux desktop, shipped by all distros that matter. If someone installs Linux, they get GNOME out of the box. It's the standard. It's what's supported. It's where all the manpower and funding is. Red Hat is building Linux almost single-handedly, and GNOME is a part of that. KDE is like a side hobby project by a group of devs. I'm not saying it sucks - it doesn't - but it just can't measure up in terms of polish and manpower.

GTK is the standard Linux toolkit, used by default by most Linux programs. Qt is cool and has interesting features, but it's really just more of a cross-platform toolkit. It lacks support for native Linux features like GNOME headerbars. Budgie's switching to Qt for its shell, but it's still going to use GTK (native Linux) applications. Purism is making a Linux phone, and it'll support KDE as an option, but it's going to use GNOME and GTK apps by default. That's just the standard.

GTK uses C, whereas Qt uses C++. It's well known that C is superior and cleaner. If you've spent much time on Jow Forums then you'll know that's a fact. And now it's 2018, we have Rust, which is a modern programming language that does everything better than everything else. It's the future of programming. And guess which toolkit has the best Rust integration? GTK.

Just accept it. GNOME is the standard. GTK is the standard. And there's a reason for that. A good rule of thumb in life is to go with the flow. Don't fight and swim against the current. You won't win like that.

If some wise ass faggot from reddit hadn't pissed off the devs,this would have been fixed by now.They aren't fixing it to spite them.

Why half of the shit in KDE still looks liek a misaligned clusterfuck of and why KDE devs think that every single textual fucking button and menu item needs an icon (rendering the concept of a helpful visual methaphor moot)? Is that's what a 'sleek and professional look' is? You little faggots think that coating something in a misguided freetard programmer's interpretation of visual design trends, yet completely disregarding the actual layout of things is 'professional'.

Attached: 18194925_1288689197852825_3614723041612623528_n.jpg (549x537, 36K)