Precalculus Logic

Precalculus:This class is meant to prepare students for calculus as a whole and any classes after that.

Also Precalculus: Students are going to learn about these in calculus 1 instead, it's not like these things are the most important concepts in calculus.

Attached: derint.gif (511x295, 12K)

How stupid are you that you're complaining about this? Calculus is literally one of the easiest branches of maths

Can you even read??
I wrote nothing about calculus being difficult, i wrote that precalculus should teach more about the core concepts in depth(integrals,derivatives and limits).

Calculus is fantastic if you understand what's going on and why. Everything you'll study in real analysis was discovered out of necessity.
Unlike abstract algebra which is just dogshit made for job security.

You are deraliling the fucking thread!!!
I know that calculus is a topic worth knowing, but the topic of this thread is on precalculus failing to teach the core topics of calculus in depth.

Precalculus isn't even a class outside of highschool because there is literally not enough material to warrant its existence.

Calculus being taught in depth would be fucking calculus, not precalculus
If you care so much just pick up literally any calc book and read the first few chapters, there aren't any complex ideas hiding here

I never got calculus unlike linear algebra, should I pick up spivak?

>preschool
>literally doesn't teach me school stuff in depth
>have to actually go to school afterwards
Wtf guys

if you never "got calculus" spivak is too advanced, do something easier

>highschool because there is literally not enough material to warrant its existence
Then why was my book 13 chapter long while I'm only doing 6 chapters in calc 1

Attached: 1525210264326.jpg (1826x1795, 218K)

The same reason a C class can be taught with 100 pages of K&R or 3000 pages of an over-elaborate textbook.

depends on your book m8. My calc book has lots of chapters for integral specifically for parametric equations, polar equations, vector equations, etc

The 3000-page textbook actually covers all the undefined behavior.

You're on the wrong board. This board is for code monkeys and website designers.
You might want to try - Homework and popsci.

Recently i realized i can't actually integrate a lozenge shaped probability surface (amazon urn problem)

Where do I learn this?

I was a high school level math tutor for a few years... from what I've seen, in the US, at least, the "precalculus" curriculum is basically just a rehash of "advanced algebra" but with the subjects handled in a more advanced way, plus a small bit of intro to fundamental calculus (mainly limits). I wish it weren't called "precalculus" at all, since when I hear "precalculus" I naturally assume that the word means something that leads up to calculus logically, but in reality "precalculus" is actually just something that leads up to calculus due to curriculum order, with a small bit of actual intro calculus stuff mixed in.

>Unlike abstract algebra which is just dogshit made for job security.
Wut

I didn't even learn about derivatives or integrals in precalc
It's for various advanced trig subjects and learning matrices and other stuff

Ohhhh, you brainlets are adorable. "Depth" in precalculus. Go to the math general on /sci/ and only come back when finishing Papa Rudin.

Nah, complex calculus is a nightmare, assuming you're going to some place with good standards. Can't even graph those R2->R2 functions easily.

I failed calc 1 three times. Should I just quit and face the fact that im a brainlet?

that's why it's called precalculus and not calculus, brainlet

GET BACK TO

A la uade

What stumped you about it, more specifically?

Assuming calc 1 is single variable calculus dealing mostly with integrals/derivatives, and you still have to pass calc 2 + 3 afterwards, sounds like you're fucked.

/sci/ has been invaded by /x/. There's still a lot of good content but there is also a ton of fringe dumbies there now too

Try taking it at a community college

Attached: 1486792374749.png (720x644, 31K)

At least it's not the religious shitfest it was when the board was first created.

Isn't Precalc generally recommended to make sure people trying to go into higher math classes have their basics solid enough to pass? (Algebra and Trig)

Yep if they're placed into it :)

What said. In HS my pre-calc class was basically just more algebra and introduction to radians and trig stuff (it was precalc and trig technically) The closest to for real calculus we did was taking derivatives using limits and some really tedious algebra.

If you're not using the superior Lebesgue integral kill yourself.

Riemann-lets, when will they learn?

Attached: 2403467.jpg (175x266, 10K)

Try not being retarded.
t. math knower

He might even mean one of those classes where it's just lims and divs

Attached: 1523064839832-1.png (1291x658, 67K)

> precalc should teach calc

What an amazing innovation you have there!

why are we having a precum thread?

>This class is meant to prepare students for calculus and any classes after that
What about Lin.Alg?

>Calculus is literally one of the easiest branches of math
See answer above this.

What is real analysis? Or did your CS track not require you to take it?

>Rudin
meme.

Try

Precalc is a summary of all the foundational math (algebra, trig) that you use in calculus. It's not a preview, it's a prerequisite

Attached: EFGd.gif (400x400, 9K)

but user, that sounds fantastic

I've taught both precalculus and calculus for a couple years.

Nobody fails calculus. They fail algebra while taking a calculus class.

Precalculus is a last-ditch effort to teach you some algebra (and some trig) before you get to calculus and fail at integration because you can't factor polynomials.

unless you're at Cal Tech or taking Math55, yes.

>It's not a preview
The last portion does limits and derivatives using the limit of the difference quotient as x approaches 0 thing

>as x approaches 0 thing
hot.
what habbens if they almost touch?

I'm sure there are regional differences to what 'Precalc' is considered. I took mine over the summer so it was condensed (it didn't seem worthwhile to spend a whole year on what it covered). My high school offered calc I and II, took those over two years and started multivariable calc in college.

I personally see nothing wrong with Precalc as a class, but I think it's something you teach over a semester, not a year.

Attached: 1263148869540.gif (400x400, 3K)

universe explodes

Attached: 1485911050942.jpg (882x731, 132K)

>but I think it's something you teach over a semester, not a year.
this gets more intriguing by the post

now there is a surprise.
excuse me, got to take a call

Attached: 1495645793767.png (657x525, 24K)

You're not a brainlet, you're just fucking lazy, literally anyone can learn calculus 1. Calc doesn't get harder than "annoying" until infinite series and even then it's just grindy.

>bought ti nspire
>tfw prof didn't notice me using it in exams
feel bad for everyone who had to do all that algebra manually

Attached: 1524891186388.png (344x299, 70K)

I took it in college.

When I took precalc they just drilled trigonometry into our heads. You have to know trig functions/identities like the back of your hand when you go into calc. Honestly teaching how derivatives/integrals work in precalc is a waste of time because they do it in calculus.

You probably just have bad habits like I did, I tried and failed 3 times too. The closest I got was a D and I feel like if I had actually done the homework regularly and gave a solid effort I would have actually passed with a B or at least a C.

Try taking it at a community college instead, or find a professor that is actually good. The one time I did well was because the professor's format was good, he explained things well and was awesome. He used an open source, free textbook, took pictures of the board to upload later so you can review, and gave some partial credit if you managed to properly work through the steps for problems (e.g. understanding the process). I loved that dude, took him for stats too and it was great.

If you can't pass it, you can go the IT route like I did, continue programming anyway and learning operations work and then just find a gig all the same. That's what I did and I ended up getting a job doing exactly what I wanted, programming and operations work and it's great.

Wherever you went is a joke then

fuck you, everybody should have to learn calculus the way I had to: a FOB Indian professor whose accent was impossible to understand, zero explanations, scribbled on the chalk board in chicken scratch. Basically self taught the shit using my $200 textbook

Nah, just use the HK integral whenever you're just dealing with the real line.

No, I just never took it in highschool (my final math course in HS was just an intro to precalc), not that it would matter. Unless you took AP courses that counted as college credits or equivalent, or got requisite SAT scores you would be required to retake precalc regardless.

I had something similar for my AI course I took during my brief stint in a masters. Professor that doesn't use a book, but draws from it, doesn't tell you really what we're covering, swings from one random topic to another, gives you no idea at all what the exam will cover, exam questions ranged from vocab to literally describe how a neural net works and every step (something we only touched on for a single day that he scribbled on the board).

The only redeeming thing about that course was the projects, they were fun for the most part. That and I did research work for him so that was fun. After that course though I instantly decided the master's program was not for me, I already had my degree, I wanna get fucking paid.

i legitimately have an IQ of 92 and I aced the calc sequence at UCLA

how do people fail, i'm genuinely asking

No, whatever college offers an actual Precalc course is a fucking joke. There is nothing substantial to be taught in precalc, you either take Calc or nothing at a uni that is worth anything.

>Berkeley is a joke
lol

>what are lie algebras
also,
>things like the lebesgue integral were invented out of necessity
I'm sure there was a real need to integrate the rational indicator function.

Dude, colleges vary across the entire nation, one college is not going to be setup 1:1 with another. Not to mention degree programs, their general ed requirements, etc will differ slightly from one to the other as well.

I got my degree, it doesn't matter anymore, I'm just telling you what the reality is, calm down.

my school offers precalc and it's a top 10, incel