/spg/ - Smartphone General

アニメ is back edition.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>Recent news
>Xiaomi Launches Mi Music and Mi Video in India
xda-developers.com/xiaomi-launches-mi-music-mi-video-india/

>Asus ZenFone Max Pro M1 update brings Face Unlock and April security patches
xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-max-pro-m1-update-brings-face-unlock-and-april-security-patches/

>Return of the stylus: What will it take to beat Samsung?
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-S-Pen-vs-Apple-stylus-rumors_id104555

>Gameloft launches Dungeon Hunter Champions on Android and iPhone
phonearena.com/news/Gameloft-launches-Dungeon-Hunter-Champions-Android-iPhone_id104640

Previous:

Attached: 1511537958024.jpg (850x1133, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1509265.html?wid=1349303
techrankup.com/smartphone-processors-ranking.php
amazon.it/Samsung-Smartphone-Espandibili-Versione-Italiana/dp/B079XF85SP/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yo

Just discovered my note 2 is supported by lineage+microg so trying out the """ degoogled""" phone thing, even bought a new battery for £4

What are some little foss gems that you would recommend other than usual (newpipe, kiss ..)?
Is f|loss browser any good?

Attached: Screenshot_20180504-100446.png (720x1280, 25K)

F|LOSS Browser is fine, I've been using it for about a month.
As for good FOSS applications, good examples that come to mind are:
primitive ftpd
>fast ftp/sftp server, by far the fastest way to move files to and from a computer without cables
Maps (yes, just Maps)
>offline maps application that pulls from openstreetmap, surprisingly detailed
Mi Manga Nu
>manga

All FOSS and available on F-Droid. K-9 Mail is an excellent email client, but you probably already know that one since it's popular.

Can anyone recommend a keyboard to carry for note 4? Ive seen case/keyboard for s4, iphone exc that you attach and connect via bluetooth but nothing for the note 4.

My Nokia 7 Plus will arrive today but I can return it no questions asked to Nokia within 14 days.

I can buy the Redmi Note 5 from Ireland for £227. Should I just buy that instead?

The lack of a notification LED will really bug me I feel.

Attached: s-l500.jpg (462x500, 40K)

>Note 5 for £277

ishygddt

You can buy it today for £138 on Gearbest.

Best phone under 300 eurobuck ?

see

Anyone else unironically very keen to see what the rumoured iPhone se2 is gonna be like?

That's the nota 5a, nu-retard.

Clipstack and share to clipboard are handy

>tfw finally getting oreo on honor 8
>tfw it includes treble
Finally I can install a working AOSP ROM.

Attached: 491.jpg (3264x2448, 752K)

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1509265.html?wid=1349303

Is it now

retard

So that would be a no, that's not the 5A then?

What smartphone should I buy if I'm looking for the state of the art and not having a bunch of disfeatures hammered in but I'm also not interested in getting scammed by paying absurd prices for brand identity on top of the actual phone?

USA, carrier to be determined, phablet preferred but not necessary.

What's the deal with Qualcomm SOCs? Is the 800 series aimed at being more power efficient or is it the 400/600 series?

800s is high end
600s is mid-high end
400s is mid end
200s is low end

400s are low end and 200s are for feature phones.
Hell I get lags on a redmi 5 plus.

the keyboard in my blackberry keyone just died and overall i wasn't a huge fan of the way blackberry handled android updates and shit like that with the phone. i want a decent phone with an actual headphone jack and a design that isn't all flash and no function. something that was actually built to last longer than 6 months. what are my options?

Is it possible to get a higher capacity battery for my S6 or are the ones online all fakes?

Attached: 2int.png (188x264, 57K)

I have a Redmeme 5 Plus too and I've never had a single lag, what do you do with it?

You can get the S7 battery, but the back glass will stand out a bit.

Will LineageOS ever support some of the recent phones or are they fucked?

Moto G5 Plus

People sell OEM S7 and S7 edge batteries on Ebay, just buy from people that have lots of confirmed buyer reviews of their product.

I put a S7 edge battery in my S6 and it works great. There's a very small gap on the back glass (fingernail size), but it's unnoticeable with a case.

I need a smartphone with a removable battery. I'm looking at either the LG G5 or an S5 Active. Durability and reliability is also very important to me, which I'm sure the S5 is better in. Is the extra performance of the G5 worth the extra price and durability sacrifice?

Are OP5/T, galaxy s9.

Compare benchmarks and see if the performance increase is worth the durability trade

8xx is usable, everything else is trash.

800 is high end, 600 was high end for a little while but was replaced (still pretty decent) 400 is ass, 200 is unusable.

I have a Droid Turbo which has a SD 805. It's still really snappy but battery drains a little fast, I was wondering if a downgrade to something like a SD 630/636 would be more power efficient and run cooler while also still performing well

Ayy boys where do you buy your chink phones from?
Some of the phones I were looking that were supposedly $200-$300 were about $360

How do I close this on redmi note 4

Attached: IMG_20180504_170724.jpg (1080x1746, 958K)

I got my Xiaomeme from the local Ebay site. Don't use Amazon, chinkphones are way overpriced there.

I really want to buy HTC U pic rel for 350usd .
But i am worried about headphone jack, i love listening to music to large closed headphones. How is the quality of cheap DAC's and are there any good connectors or bluetooth dacs?
Will they destroy usb connector. Is this a good choice, i like that it is an old flagship, snapdragon 821, have nice camera, have dual screens. isn't a chink phone, so i can buy it in poland,

Can you reccomend any other phone to 250 usd (i have to pay 30 % tax +duty on chink phones)

Attached: htc u.jpg (1000x1000, 91K)

techrankup.com/smartphone-processors-ranking.php

I'm pretty sure SD630/636 are faster than a SD805 in addition to being more power efficient and running cooler too so it's not a downgrade

650 maybe, but definitely not 630.

What’s a direct upgrade from the Oneplus 3t that’s not the 5t?

the 4t

Set it up and use it for maybe 10 mins
I got it for my mom, during my 30 mins with it it refuses to respond a few times.

Get the pixel 2 dongle.

Who uses the LGV30?

Is it any good?

That AMOLED and SD are calling to me.

It's also one of the only devices that will work on vzw and I'm not messing around with samsungs

What does /spg/ think about going on plans and paying over 200% the price of the actual phone just for the convenience?

What's wrong with the 5t if I may ask? I'm thinking of getting one for myself.

So brand new hardware and software without a bunch of nonsense bloat?

I'd say Moto actually or LG. Don't know much about LGs though.

Definitely stay away from Samsungs and also the Pixel. Samsungs you'll be spending the first week getting rid of stuff you don't need and Pixels are as expensive as other flagships but don't have key pieces of hardware.

5t owner here.
The camera is really bad, even with gcam
It's also really slippery
And then it just turned off one day and I'm sitting here waiting for a replacement.
A smartphone just suddenly turning off into a brick is not acceptable.
I'm getting a pixel now.

How long have you owned a 5t? It's currently the only SD 835 phone within my budget so I really don't know any other options.

Wasn't the camera on the 3t pretty acceptable?
How did they degrade it

When will Icecat Mobile get the Quantum update?

What's the phone equivalent to the RN4 that has band 700 and good community support (Custom Roms)? Jesus this chinkshit would be the perfect phone for me if it had the band that I need the most. I was looking the MotoG5S Plus but in term of custom roms is pretty much dead on XDA.

What's the best carrier on the US if I'm going to get an unlocked chink phone?

>Can get a 64GB Mi Mix 2s for $549 with coupon
>but only in black/gold and not white/silver

Damn it.

Any Samsung users in here? I wanted to ask about their proprietary keyboard software what with Swype being discontinued. I got a cracked version of the last Swype version that was released, but who knows when their personal backup, dictionary, and sync server(s) will go down.

Anyway, I seem to recall the Samsung keyboard including Swype, so my question is this: Is that still the case, and does it support the standard Swype gestures for Copy, Cut, Paste, Select All, Shift, and Caps Lock? Those gestures are what make Swype completely and utterly indispensable for me, and no other keyboard has them unfortunately.

I generally buy whatever the best flagship phone is out on the market, what would you recommend? I've been looking at s9, pixel2, and iPhone x.
Currently own LG G6 from Verizon in America. Or should I just wait for something better than what's out now?

Oh, yes! iPhone SE 2 with iPhone 5's size and a bezel-less screen (with a notch) would kill every other phone for me. The specs don't matter that much anymore, I can't see the difference in speed between iPhones that came out in the last few years. I could use a better camera though (the front one at least).

Moto G5 Plus

Moto X4 looks promising; is there any reason to not get one?

Check some benchmarks

Geekbench 4 (single-core/multi-core)
SD630: 900/4100
SD636: 1300/4900
SD805: 1000/2500

Antutu 7:
SD630: 90k
SD636: 116k
SD805: 76k

Meant for

Absolutely retarded

G5 Plus? Which band is it you need? 700mhz is just the frequency

T-Mobile, AT&T or one of their MVNOs

What's wrong with the G6?
Or are you literally just asking because you like having shiny new toys every 2 years

I'd look up the specs. See what it's missing.

I used to love moto, but they don't update things ever and don't have the best customer service. But in terms of user experience (they're take on pure android) it's quite nice.

I cracked the screen is a big reason for me. Other than that I still have one more year with this phone but I was just curious. I like LG the most so I'll just wait for something.

How so?
You may monthly for the total retail of the device

I have a Galaxy S7 and for the last few weeks it's been running like fucking shit.
Hot and drains battery like a motherfucker.
Any tips to fix this? It's in pretty much mint condition physically and I don't want to buy a fucking new phone yet.

>phone reboots while I'm sleeping
>only see this 10 hours later
>for 10 hours the screen stayed open on full brightness
>can make out a vague burn in
fucking androidtards aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Gotcha. Totally.

There's the V30 and new LG G7.
The S9 is also supposedly balls to the wall

Hey Jow Forums.
I'm looking to buy a certified refurbished galaxy s7 Verizon from amazon. Is this safe, and what is the quality of these types of devices. Also how does Verizon's unlocking policy work?
Could I use it with 3g networks in Europe?(Will it need first registering with Verizon card)

Just watched a review of the g7. I love everything about it except the Google ai. Button. The new power button. And the lack of an actual upgrade from the g6 other than minor differences. Time to wait for the g8

I fucked my post, I was referring to the Band28.

I noticed i wrote it wrong, is actually the Band 28.

when the FUCK are phones going to integrate the fingerprint scanner behind/in the screen just like the huawei porsche design

Reset it, root and uninstall bloat

I need advise, should i buy xiaomi mi mix 2?
My last phone was xperia s and is horribly outdated

Attached: 1523570853421.png (214x245, 71K)

>OnePlus 6
OHNONONO

Attached: 1510825163617.jpg (660x499, 18K)

get mi mix 2s instead

when the esr gets quantum

I don't like the iphone x style camera at the back. Hence i didn't consider it. (also sale here in flipland) around 400 usd

Is it really a big improvement when compared each other?

Attached: 1518808674832.png (1040x1517, 1.29M)

how the fuck do i get my whatsapp chat backup from my s7 to my iphone 8+?

Try Google Drive backup

what i've gathered is that whatsapp in ios doesn't even let you choose a google backup

Is Mi Mix 2S with 2 year Assurant warranty @ $563 a good price?

ok guys can somebody redpill me on these kryo cores in the new snapdragons? aren't they just rebranded coretext cores??

S9 is already under €600
amazon.it/Samsung-Smartphone-Espandibili-Versione-Italiana/dp/B079XF85SP/
But the S8 is barely under 500, I know its a pretty light refresh but wtf? Give me my sub 400 S8 you bastards

Bump

>It's currently the only SD 835 phone within my budget
You can have the XZ1c or the Nokia 8 at 330€, I don't know where you live but here it costs 100€ more to buy a 5T

Got my redmi 5 plus Global edition this week from aliexpress, I gotta say i am pretty impressed. I expected it to be a piece of shit like other phones in the price range but i am having a hard time hating it. inb4 china botnet.

canadian btw, popped in my telus simcard and it just worked without any tomfoolery from the phone company. GPS and 4g work fine which i know was an issue. The UI is nice and overall experience is great, would reccomend/10

>software wants me to downgrade whatsapp so i can back it up from android to ios

yeah no m8

Verizon Burger here. I have a Pixel XL that I am thinking about replacing. I have had it since it came out at launch. The headphone jack on it is kinda broken, and I am getting worried that at some point it will break fully and it will be time for an upgrade. This will most likely be in the future, so my main question is:

What are some new high/mid tier phones to be looking out for in the future? I like the size of my phone, I like having a high quality camera, and retaining a headphone jack would be a must. I was looking at the essential phone. I thought everything looked great until I noticed it didn't have a headphone jack. I mostly just want something I can get great performance on. I don't play vidya, just mostly use it for browsing. Saving some money would be nice too. I would hate to pay the same as I did for the Pixel, and if I can get away staying under $600 that would be awsome.

Attached: 1525215018489.png (950x610, 832K)

Just get the Pixel fixed

Is there a way for me to block minorities from buying my items on eBay?
I swear, the vast majority of my returns are done by minorities.
Ex:
>sell a smartphone
>i state in the description that the phone won't work with verizon
>later buyers ask to return the phone because it doesn't work with his carrier, which happens to be fucking verizon
>buyer returns the phone and it's usually greasy and dirty and missing the charger or manual that it came with
>check the buyer's name and it's almost always something like Carlos, Miguel, Jamal, etc
Shit's pissing me off!

Attached: 1479034941836.jpg (960x960, 73K)

How's the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 if i mainly want to use it to play apps like FGO for exemple?

Any good midrange phones that work on AT&T/T-Mobile/MVNO?

la creatura thinks they are still monorities

When will that be?

Nokia 6.1 (6 2018)
Huawei Mate SE
Sony XA2 / XZ1 Compact
Moto G5 Plus / G5S Plus / Moto X4

>6 and 6s have the best screen size, but the may be phased out soon, 6s is way more expensive though
>best compromise would be the SE but the screen is too small to watch jewtube on all day
Also, what the fuck is the deal with the SE's screen? It's the same resolution and pixel density but for some reason everything looks sharper (most notably colors)

Attached: iphone-6GREY.png (468x600, 256K)