Do you think CRTs will ever make a comeback, Jow Forums?

Attached: P1110-786F.jpg (1024x768, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
youtube.com/watch?v=hxv7mmKHRhs
youtube.com/watch?v=___shQiFjOY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>old deprecated tech making a comeback

do you think 486s will ever make a comeback?

Maybe with that technology where every pixel is a single crt

>Dell
>Trinitron
Is this a Top 10 Anime Betrayal like the Nintendo PlayStation?

No I think green eco-friendly product is the future

Funny you ask. I am taking the last 5 I have in my basement to the recycle center today. I will never carry those fuckers around again.

Attached: tmg-slideshow_l_1024x1024.jpg?v=1486675640.jpg (1000x669, 43K)

No.
Tell me a scenario in which it could happen, and I might reconsider.
Wouldn't it make it stuck to a single resolution and thus rid CRTs of about the only advantage to LCDs?

Yes, like other numale shit. But it'll stay pretty underground because the technology still sucks.

Attached: soyboy 4.jpg (2125x1573, 343K)

audiophiles are in a category of their own

I wish there was a way to make those bad boys.
Then I could have claimed my turbohipster award.

Attached: 7047f59616187f596c4610ae898222f8.jpg (613x640, 63K)

DESU I'd prefer an OLED, but CRTs have other advantages too.

>rid CRTs of about the only advantage to LCDs?
the advantages of CRT are response time and black levels. having one native resolution (CRTs have none) is an advantage.

>response time
Beaten for a long time
>and black levels
OLED are better

Except CRTs actually have a purpose

hopefully not
it's basically eye cancer in a box

No it hasn't, even the fastest LCDs have a latency of 14ms over CRTs.

And you don't get scanlines you need to make games designed for CRTs look nice. Don't get me started on fucking pixel doubling.

Oled already exist
It has the best and worst characteristic of crt
>very low lag
>burn in

Plus it has far better contrast and is more efficient

Well other things have a purpose too, e.g. with vinyl you can do some dj tricks, or thinkpads are actually durable when you go out, too bad the advantages are pointless to 99% of users

A Dell ultrasharp has a lag time of about 4ms, that's barely noticeable

Only with hipsters and neckbeards trying to be "deep" or whatever. CRT is inferior technology.

>No it hasn't
Use plasma

Attached: Screenshot_20180504-183332.png (1080x1920, 378K)

I use my crt as a cheap second screen in 1600x1200 and it works like a charm.

>Wouldn't it make it stuck to a single resolution and thus rid CRTs of about the only advantage to LCDs?
I don't think so

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
youtube.com/watch?v=hxv7mmKHRhs

you can do different things with film over digital retard

yes

This meme is just getting obnoxious now.

>black with crt
>advantage
I bet you never used one then.

Attached: goaway.jpg (447x390, 63K)

>CRTs
top responce time, colors, black
must have for gamers

Buttmad basedboy in denial spotted.

I want to fall for the meme, anyone can link me a CRT that has notable advantages over similarly priced modern screens ?

tiny triny

I play my SNES games on it. The graphics don't look smooth in high def.

Attached: puter.jpg (768x1024, 227K)

No, the weight alone prevents it (shipping would be too expensive etc)

If someone could make a really slim one that didn't consume an entire modern desk with its thiccness, then yes, I think they could. Probably only for enthusiasts/videophiles though.

realy gives agvantage in games

No, fuck that shit and everyone who want it back
It's shit, it weights a ton, it takes up huge amount of space, it's not pleasant to look at(visually and eye-strain), uses shitton of power
Fucking šoyboys and their retarded clinging to deprecated technology, choke on a vinyl

Do you think Pagers will ever make a comeback, Jow Forums?

Attached: 220px-Alphadual.jpg (220x149, 12K)

>inferior analog sound
>audiophiles
No, being an audiophile is defined by snake oil you waste your money on.

SED is dead, let it go

So are retro gayme faggots

Sure, those old production plants were just sitting empty (but maintained) this whole time!

>CRT
>black levels
confirmed for never using one

At what frequency?

youtube.com/watch?v=___shQiFjOY

They also had burn-in

Had my hopes up for SED, never saw anything more about it. If any of this tech was meant to be, it would be.

No. The high-end current stuff we have is pretty nice. I have one of the nicer ROG monitors, and I think it's better than most CRTs in almost every way. That being said... I would've guessed FLAC would be here to stay and vinyl would not come back.

The only vantage they really have is response time. You'll only get colors that can compare to your average OLED with professional shit. Consumer CRTs are blurry, have average colors and shit refresh rates in general (75Hz is the bare minimum for CRTs since they flick like hell)

Tube amps etc prove this...

I got rid of my Panasonic P110 21" Monitor a few years back, great monitor, but 64 fucking pounds. Seriously just got tired of lugging it to every house/apartment I bought.

Are there 144+ Hz 1080p plasma monitors?

Link me some professional CRTs that kick ass ?

I can't fucking wait for /CRT general/ threads next to /mkg/ and /tpg/

Crackle crackle pop snap crackle.

What high-quality!

There is one on

>pirate FLACs
>use tube amp
there I just saved every vinylfag 999999 jewgolds

Attached: DUSRs_PX0AA64Fw.jpg (600x600, 36K)

Dunno. Never seen 144Hz LCD personally either.

1) Perfect black levels
2) Flawless off-axis viewing
3) Much faster refresh rate than LCD
4) Warmer, more natural image (thanks to scan lines and small granules)
5) Far longer life-span
6) Not subject to manufacture problems such as dead-pixels
7) Good range of compatibility with lower or non-standard resolutions without blurring

Given ultimate space and money the world's best CRT could easily crush the world's best LCD. So tell me Jow Forums, why do you like your inferior screens that companies such as Samsung have brainwashed you to think is better than what already existed? The only cost-savings are on their end.

And the funny thing is you guys keep buying this crappy LCD technology and giving away your free CRTs on Craigslist. A fool and his dollar are soon parted I guess.

And before you start yapping about IPS panels:
Enjoy your slow G2G response to switch pixels already, not to mention that hidden input and scalar lag. Luckily, CRT has no such bullshit.

The only semi-legitimate point I've heard against CRTs regards weight, but you don't bitch about the weight of a prospective couch while furniture shopping, do you? Didn't think so.

Attached: 1512477704609.jpg (1024x768, 374K)

>The only semi-legitimate point I've heard against CRTs regards weight
which is a moot point because slim CRTs existed, although I don't think they'd scale well with size (i.e. no 40+ inch screens)

Attached: Tabgamb.jpg (494x223, 64K)

>5) Far longer life-span
Bullshit.
I'm CRT-connoisseur myself, typing this on the CRT right now, but crt are slowly getting worse and worse overtime.
Let's not over-exaggerate.

couch takes up 1/4 of my living room, no reason my TV needs to do the same. How big/heavy would a 65" CRT be by the way?

t. nu-male with spaghetti arms

Lol, it's not 2001 anymore

Attached: monitors_27.5in-LCD_24in-crt_walls-1.jpg (800x449, 72K)

Well I have one. My specific model is the Acer kg240.

CRT might make a comeback if they find some limitation in increasing the Hz of LCD screens. like maybe its impossible to make a LCD higher than 500hz or some thing then maybe in 5 years we will have 1000hz CRT..
? perhaps.

thou I think CRT might be more limited than LCD.

perhaps DLP will make a come back pretty sure the design of DLP makes it possible to have 1000hz etc just need a super fast spinning color wheel.

its already been said that VR will eventually need 1000hz. and very low response time. that might not be possible on LCD. while DLP is 1ms and CRT is like basically 0ms or some thing.

my 21" was 65 pounds, not sure I've ever seen a TV that big (that wasn't shit rear projection) Plus I got nu-male money, I can just pay someone to deliver it :)

I had the Dell LCD, it was total shit. Also, bad photo, gloss vs matte with flash.

oled has poorer color reproduction than even TN
people need to stop hyping up inaccurate blown out saturation with non-unfform wear

[Citation Needed]

I use a 109b6 Philips I have 3 of them and plan to keep using them one at a time until they are all dead. all manufactured in 2005 so they have a fair bit of life in them thou the current one I'm uses makes random clicking sounds some times I assume its just temperature changes. had a Apple VGA crt before that was super nice but the cable was cut even thou it worked and couldn't require it (was a dimondtron) also had a 19inch dimondtron but it died :(

if you have a 10 series gpu don't bother with CRT the 10 series don't support VGA and the converters don't support higher than 60hz which is the entire point of having CRT along with 0ms response time.

also the 1ms LCD monitors are really 9+ ms lag so imo don't waste money on them if you want best monitor for esports get a CRT only reason to get a LCD is literally if your team gives you one for free.

maybe if we run out of indium

> in b4 pajeet metal

Attached: indium-3454.jpg (420x350, 25K)

i use my fathers film camera and cassettes and no amount of numale memes will stop me from using them

i'd just give you "biased" information, so since you're so well-informed about the liquid crapstal display technologies, consult your most trusted review site that gives information about color reproduction in its reviews

I have a really small CRT monitor as well, but I don't use it. Ya I have an Nvidia GTX 1060 by the way. Though I do have a converter though and have been able to get it above 60hz.
It's such a shame though that CRT monitors literally are not even produced anymore.
Also I know about the "1 ms" thing too. It's advertised as response time, they don't even advertise output lag.

Oh no, whole 4ms of delay, literally unusable.

Also funnily, the arguments are exactly the same as vinyl, either bullshit or flaws posed as pros.

unobtanium

I must be from a parallel dimension since the multiple CRTs i used for 15 years had shit black levels and the screens made my eyes sore after a few hours, but people keep claiming they had great blacks and are nicer to look at.

Attached: 125913703866.jpg (480x721, 48K)

lcds can technically run at millions of hz
and there's not much reason to go above 500 hz when jet pilots only perceive 300 hz or so

But my PC runs at 4ghz and they need to match to work optimally

>eye-strain
Not if you overclock it, though.

i remember this post

>the lcd is angled just right to reflect the light source and make blacks look bad
subtle

They're still around in niche applications, user. Apparently they're better at getting messages through than SMS. You can decode the messages with a SDR dongle and PDW and see factory automation alerts, first responder messages and notifications of organs available for transplant, if that's your thing.

Pretty sure it's pre 2010 originally, I post it once in a while to trip over the newfags. It always brings the (You)'s.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, some of the issues that make service cost so much for one way pagers could be solved with modern technology (bit rate, as I'm pretty sure they're still on the same standards that were used along side 1G cell phones), but the demand for them is so low that it doesn't make sense to spend the money to upgrade the infrastructure. If you really want to play around with pagers though, there are pagers (such as the Motorola Minitor) that can be set to work on amateur radio bands and therefore can be used if you have an amateur radio license. Come to think of it, given the average age of amateur radio operators plus the whacker community who tend to get amateur radio licenses, this idea might actually work.

>You can decode the messages with a SDR dongle and PDW and see factory automation alerts, first responder messages and notifications of organs available for transplant, if that's your thing.
I'd like to point out that this is technically illegal to do.

IT'S THE LAD

HE'S HERE

In a post apocalyptic scenario where led displayed stop getting manufactured.
In my experience flat screens DO eventually burn out but I've never had a crt of any kind stop working.

plasma's suffer from burn in so there not ideal for still displays

I have a 40 inch stranded crt i bought from goodwill for $25 (cost 9k in 97) thing weighs about 200lbs.

do you think goutenberg printing press will ever make a comeback ?

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (720x1005, 226K)

>bringing back pagers via amateur radio
I never realized that I needed this in my life. I wonder how hard it would be to implement at a larger scale for anything beyond voice pagers though.

I should specify that by "larger scale" I mean more than just a small group of people with the ability for other people to somewhat easily get in on it.

not really. placebo memes vs playing a game without huge stuttering and sync issues aren't comparable in my eyes

> jet pilots only perceive 300 hz
No, this is wrong. That test that jet pilots do has nothing to do with continuous motion perception. Their tests are about perceiving an image flashed on a screen for 1/300th of a second.

There is already a 480hz monitor out there, blurbusters tested it and already confirmed that there are differences. I'll post some of the relevant parts for you:

>Is it a noticeable difference from 144 or even 240 (in your opinion)?
>Yes. Although there are certainly diminishing returns, the difference between 240Hz (on this display) and 480Hz (on this display) is still visible to the human eye. There is also a greatly reduced mousedropping effect.

>Even Michael Abrash, the chief scientist of Oculus, have said this:
“…the sweet spot for 1080p at 90 degrees FOV is probably somewhere between 300 and 1000 Hz, although higher frame rates would be required to hit the sweet spot at higher resolutions….”
Modern display researchers now agree. NVIDIA has tested a 16,000 Hz augumented reality prototype, and Viewpixx has a 1440Hz laboratory DLP projector.

>The bigger the FOV and/or the more pixels, the more visible the issues are. Bigger displays, retina desktop displays, VR headsets too. More rez + more FOV = more pixels to track eyes over = more Hz needed for matching reality. The Hz limiting factor includes eye tracking speed.

i bought an amp off a guy who demoed it for me.

he said "ooh did you hear that? That's the record popping."

I really don't fucking get it. good audio is good audio but weird stone-age playback media is another entirely

Perhaps but only for very niche things like people who want to play retro video games.

practically every high-end vendor worth a shit had a rebadged trinitron

>I'd like to point out that this is technically illegal to do.
I thought it was legal to do, but not to act on the information you receive (UK here), so as long as I don't rock up claiming to be the courier picking up the liver for transplant or whatever, I should be OK. Could be wrong though.

no? what kind of question is that?