Is Doom the greatest open source software?

Is Doom the greatest open source software?

Attached: john-carmack-vr-script.jpg (800x1000, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fabiensanglard.net/doom3/index.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>not under bsd
it was almost the best open source software.

cuck license

Welcome on board, John!

Attached: TEAM_BITCOIN.jpg (968x768, 199K)

No, because Quake exists

Explain.

>BSD license
beware of anyone pushing this shit in gamedev, they are likely working for sony/microsoft/ea/actiblizz/etc, aka people who will gladly take your shit and put it on a locked-down game console

Plz sir come and steal my code. Do not contribute to the original codebase or opensource your copy of the software. Also could you make fat stacks of money that I will never see.

Lol you're right. Even sounds like BBC

That would be nethack

Do we need to explain well.

You are anonymous and so am I.
You are part of us.
I am part of you and us.
Anybody who comment on Jow Forums is part of us.
We share a consciousness.
We are not just people on the internet.
And we are not a community.
We are one entity. -> aka user
We are the monster under the bed.
But not just the monster.
We are the kid who is scared of the monster.
We are the bed and the lamp in the childs room.
We are everything and nothing.

We are anomalous
We are a region
Forgive and forget
Expecto patonum

Attached: 95e.jpg (579x852, 71K)

Attached: th.jpg (255x155, 3K)

>muh magic inverse sqrt

Reminder that Carmack made Doom with emacs. Vim fags BTFO and seething.

Oh yes, BSD, the "please fuck me in the ass, big corporations" license. Fucking shills here I swear.

Attached: retardation.jpg (650x650, 80K)

Reminder that nano is the best text editor.

ed is the standard text editor

So many doom clones these days.

Attached: 1257991522006.jpg (173x197, 45K)

Yes, but it's too bad id outsourced Doom's sound system to a "shithead" who, to this day, refuses to open-source his crappy code.

I love classic id though. They understood the value of a loyal fan community and how it could extend the life of their games through mods, add-ons, and eventually source ports. Because of this, Doom continues to shift and evolve to this day, rather than exist as a static artifact played through an emulator, and it will always be around as long as there are computers and the internet.

You are now aware that there are hundreds of video games from the last 30 years where their source code has been completely lost to time and may only exist as some really old version in some random devs personal backups somewhere, but the code from the final released version has been gone for quite some time.

best man ever

hundreds, but only some are worth lamenting for. and doom ain't one of them.

And the best one to this day is still Duke Nukem 3D.

Delicious Iga.

Linux, Doom and Quake are the best FOSS softwares, following thia order.

quake isn't as good as doom tbqh

Name?

Attached: IMG_3132.jpg (640x640, 74K)

no

kys

that's because quake was the start of muh polygons meme

It was if you had friends and

Yes!
/thread

Thoughts on level design Jesus?

Attached: pAqySx7.jpg (2048x1456, 189K)

No. It's Chromium.

Too bad without Carmack, the best he could do was a game with great level design but didn't even work backwards.
While Carmack made Quake 2, a pretty damn good game (Q2 hater babbies need not apply).
Carmack>>>>>Romero

doom, or to give it its real name, Dood. was awesome. Dood had a face like a thumped scrotum even when he was healthy, but when he got shot his face looked like a punched scrotum that an over-zealous acupuncturist had raped. My god yes doom was great

Since you're brain dead, and you'd take words from someone who you consider to have something "good" seriously, I'll quote Torvalds (who I don't think too highly about, linux is cancer that killed off superior hurd):
>Over the years I’ve become convinced that the BSD license is great for code you don’t care about. I’ll use it myself.
>-- Linus Torvalds at LinuxCon 2016

He didn't work on quake's levels (which is THE BEST id game) as well as Q3A (which is the second best game from them).
The only thing he's good for is wasting money and making spectacular mistakes (daikitana).

>Steal your own tech from your shit game company
>Give it to Oculus
>Get bought by Nosebook
>Get sued by old company because you are now worth billions
>Loose, but you don't care because Nosebook will pay
>Sue the old company back for missed wages and revenue
>Admit you stole it in a blog post because "they suck and I can get away with it"

All hail. As soon as he teams up with Elon I can leave this gay planet.

Attached: john_530_big.jpg (530x424, 209K)

Game technology have always been interesting.
They needed to be very compact and efficient.
The way they constructed the graphics were brilliant at the time, but there were clear limitations to this method.
A 3d world is not just a bunch of projections of 2d images although this is a good way to create it.
With that said, It was a good game, even though it was before aim mechanics, it was enjoyable to play.
If someone were to write this style of game today, it would be mocked for the simplicity even though it is not an easy feat to make.
I can't remember the context of why it was linked in another thread yesterday, but someone linked a lunduke video where lunduke compared the memory usage of doom to browsing cnn.com on a modern browser.
When you put it like that, it is weird that a game that automatically projects images so it almost feels like you move past them is lighter than displaying a document with text and images.
And even worse, it is not even close to be comparable.

However comparing the best game of the time to the worst document system ever conceived is not exactly fair.
A better comparison would be to other games of the same nature.

>implying all open basedrce licenses arent a cuck licenses
>hey! Dont include my shit in your PROprietary shit
>Yeah kk *literally forks your shit*
>EULA: Decompile and we will sue
>Le happy merchant face

>4 episodes of Ultimate Doom
>all the best levels are frontloaded into the first episode
He was /ourguy/. Also his episode 4 levels were arguably the highlights of that episode.

This article was really insightful regarding the doom3 source code, which is supposedly an amazing sight to behold.
fabiensanglard.net/doom3/index.php

This. I used to go to gamedev almost daily until I realized what was going on... I hope that place fucking dies and soon.

>run strings on a binary
>look for unstripped symbol tables
>look for parts of your code in binary by comparing it with your compiled code
You don't need to decompile to find stolen code, and GPL lawsuits are a thing.

>take parts from open basedboyrce program
>use them in a very different program in a very different way
enjoy!

if hurd superior we'd be using it :^)

What's the TLDR of this

there's a tldr of it by kokatu