>Be me
>Attempted to switch to Linux multiple times before
>Annoying trying to get Windows only programs running
>Always run back to W7
>Several months later
>Build new computer (Ryzen)
>Install W7
>MS "No u don't"
>Refuses to get updates because (((incompatible hardware)))
>Meh
>Spectre happens
>Can't install updates to fix it
>Mobo manufacturer still hasn't released bios level fix
>Pic related
How do I make the switch to Linux as relatively painlessly as possible? I'd prefer not to spend a week trying to get my programs to work through WINE
>inb4 "Use a VM"
I'll only use a VM if it can do something similar to what XP Mode programs can do in 7 (emulating the program instead of having to launch the whole VM)

Attached: Oh no.png (620x500, 352K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What you need help? Just download arch linux and install it.

1. Go to Ubuntu's website.
2. Go to 'Downloads'.
3. Follow instructions, precisely.

Forget Wine. Use GNU/Linux programs.

Install Debian, install a VM, get comfortable fiddling with WINE.
There is no other solution. If you want to run a windows only program its either WINE or a VM.

Codeweavers to run Windows programs.

Ok I'm stupid, but not that stupid.
You're right! I didn't want to play these games anyways!
I was afraid of that.

first understand that you don't just get distros (ubuntu, debian, arch etc..) but you also get desktop environments.

As your distro being a beginner I'd say stick with ubuntu (don't hit me Jow Forums). But ubuntu comes in different flavours that use different desktop environments you might prefer that are closer to what windows does.

Xubuntu (Xfce), Kubuntu (KDE) and Linux Mint (Cinnamon) are worth looking at.

As for the software, try to stick to GNU/Linux native programs, WINE generally leads to headaches.

The only obvious problem with that is a lot of games don't have native linux support. A lot do and you can install steam and it will give you the shit that can run, there's a community dedicated to getting native windows games to run on linux called PlayOnLinux, that's worth looking into.

As for other games that can't run through a compatibility later and have no native support, I don't know what to say other than windows 10 isn't half as bad as what half the autists round here make it out to be

Install Windows 10 LTSB.

I made the jump awhile back and the only thing I really need a VM for is Photoshop. I installed Lutris for games and it autoconfigures WINE really smoothly.

this

Windows 10 is 100% as bad as its made out to be, just not for the usual DURRR WANGBLOEZ reasons.

it's just unfortunately for the sake of convenience, the positives of compatibility outweigh the negatives of it being dogshit, at least when it comes to games

> games
> annō MMXVIII dominī

Thank you, user. I'm not entirely a Linux novice, but I've had many problems in the past. I've been hearing a lot here about Ubuntu Mate. In the past I've tried Linux Mint and Xubuntu. I'm thinking I'll either go for Unbuntu or Mate. As for the game issue, I've been receiving a few good suggestions here for ways to try and play them through Linux, which I'll be trying out. I'm open to more ideas and suggestions, of course. I seriously wish I had known some of this stuff earlier.
>Install Windows 10 LTSB
GTFO Pajeet

>> nogames
>> annō MMXVIII dominī

Attached: images.jpg (225x224, 7K)

No I mean Windows 10 specifically is irredeemable garbage. Install Windows 8.1.

The biggest thing about using linux is that it's not a one-size-fits-all system. Lots of distros try to bundle DE's and applications together and do lots of auto-detecting to try and make it as painless and easy to use as possible, but just like sometimes you have to fuck with windows to get drivers to behave you're eventually going to need to faff about with linux configurations to get things working the right way.
Once you just accept that you're going to, at some point, have to fiddle about with things to get them working right, Linux becomes a lot easier to use.

MATE is alright, not a fan myself but it's decent. what games is it you're looking to play?

ReactOS

fair

fucking kek

Fuck a VM. If you are not working in graphics design/editing almost everything you need is in the repos. The biggest problems you'll have will be replacing these:

>Office
try WPS Office, an almost 1:1 MS Office clone (including the botnet) or Libre Office. If you are willing to learn something then learn LaTex and shit on the above.

>Photoshop
Gimp is not great but okay for most daily tasks (except for drawing a circle, kek). Beware of unintuitive and autistic interface. Well fuck it, Krita is better in every aspect...go with that.

>gaymes
Grow up.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Mostly games that are already on Steam. There's a couple older PC games I don't think will work (Tyrian 2000 comes to mind)

a fucktonne already have linux support, Tyrian 2000 is supported by PlayOnLinux

Install Linux Mint (or Manjaro if you like to have the most recent versions of software).
Install WINE (or playonlinux if you want a GUI).
Use this site appdb.winehq.org/ to check software compatibility.

Attached: 1524244507924.jpg (1446x2048, 213K)

should clarify I meant a tonne on steam already have linux support, I think it's something like 160 out of my 500 or so. It's not great but it's on the rise because of the whole SteamOS meme

this but if you want arch and you're scared of command line installation use antergos not manjaro

>SteamOS
I thought that was dead after the meme machines failed.

Is that the OS that just stares at you and only reacts when you break down into tears?