/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
>DO NOT OVERCLOCK ON RYZEN 2000 SERIES
If you are on the new X470 or B450 platforms letting precision boost 2 do its job gets better performance
If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO Core i7/5/3 7000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO Ryzen 1000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE Ryzen 2000 SERIES
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2600X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU (Mid range)
>R7 2700X - Best gaming CPU / VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (High end)
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1440673940045.jpg (562x525, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/TpjwzY
pcpartpicker.com/list/H9gVcY
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236599&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
pcpartpicker.com/product/2JVD4D/adata-xpg-sx6000-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx6000np-256gt-c
pcpartpicker.com/list/Q7Q2V6
youtu.be/Esy9LK2N6LY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

From previous thread since there was no response:
pcpartpicker.com/list/TpjwzY Any improvements that need to be made?
It's gonna be mixed-use by the way, for gaming, as long as most games run at 1080p60 with it I won't complain

pcpartpicker.com/list/H9gVcY

should anyone give a shit about having USB C support?

ive been out of the loop for 4 years but i could have swore that USB C was f u t u r e p r o o f

>pcpartpicker.com/list/TpjwzY
if nothing on your HDD will require much speed give this a thought
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236599&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

>AIO
retarded and shit, AMD absolutely doesn't need water cooling

and for around 500-600 you can just get a 1080

with a ryzen 5 cpu, should i be getting a radeon gpu? or does it matter?

No, nvidia and ryzen are fine

1060 gb or 580 8gb?

>>NO Ryzen 1000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE Ryzen 2000 SERIES
1000 series is better than 2000 because it supports W7

980 ti owner here, what are my options? is 1080ti affordable yet? or should i wait for 1180ti?

btw, i got a i7 5960x as a cpu.

Will the 2000 series even boot if you have Windows 7 installed?

no it doesn't

cheapest 1080ti is still like 1k usd with shipping

don't bother until it's under 800 bucks at least, or until the 1180 launches

?????

I'm planning to build a new PC a with Ryzen 2700x while using my current hard drive but I really really don't want to leave Windows 7, I tried Windows 10 and hated it.

Will there be any major issues using Ryze and Windows 7?

Better CPU recommendations for all build levels
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G5400 - HTPC, web browsing, or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 2600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 2600 for multithread perf)
>R7 2700 / i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

Attached: perfdollar.png (500x970, 53K)

Attached: perfrel_1920_1080.png (500x970, 47K)

Is the i7 8700k good?

SSD is way over priced, get this instead
pcpartpicker.com/product/2JVD4D/adata-xpg-sx6000-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx6000np-256gt-c
You can compare it to other SSDs on userbenchmark.ssd

>does it matter?
Doesn't matter

Cheaper of the two

Most definitely wait

Windows 10 sucks but I don't think it's worth installing Windows 7. Install gentoo

umm sweetie my 1500X seems to disagree with you

No.

Depends on what you mean by "good." In my opinion no, because if you're video editing an R7 is better and if you're just gaming the i7 is overkill. Better to get the i5 or R5 for games and spend more on a graphics card / monitor / SSD

>he fell for 4 core meme

>he fell for the meming on Jow Forums meme

Attached: serveimage2.jpg (293x212, 19K)

I built my rig 6 years ago, these components are still going strong with the exception of a broken motherboard which I got a cheap replacement for some years back:
i5-2500k
2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Sapphire 7950 (384-bit, 3GB VRAM)
old Corsair H80 AIO + Noctua fans
120GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 3)
old Corsair HX1050 (too much wattage I know, I was naive back then)
HAF-X version 1 + case fans

I don't play games on it anymore and I've had GNU/Linux Mint installed for the past few years, completely abandoning win7. If the socket-1155 motherboard ever fails I'm going to have a bad time finding a replacement since most are overpriced second-hand shitty lower-than-low-end boards on eBay.

I have a full-tower case that has always been too big for my needs. Looking at it just makes me feel regret and generally sadness. Looking at the "1050" number printed on my PSU doesn't help to relieve me of this big metal box of mistakes. Good computer though.

Attached: haf-x.jpg (590x443, 132K)

Why shouldn't I go with two packs of this for an upcoming 1950x build?

Attached: ram.png (989x651, 151K)

Sell everything and buy a thinkpad

Because that would still only be 32gb and more importantly it's not ECC.

I want to build a server to store all the shit I download, pretty much only music and tv/movies, my 2TB western digital shit the bed and now I lost everything and want to build a media server, what's the cheapest bare bones I can do?

I don't want a torrent box, I use seedboxes to torrent just to store and organize shit.

How long till my current build is obsolete?
>4690k
>z97 g-5 gigabyte mobo
>gtx 970
>ssd samsung
don't play much vidya anymore but like having a decent build because of meme reasons.

I retired my last first gen i7 and sli 560ti's after I built my current build in 2015 and use it as a media PC but I feel my mobo will hold me back in future upgrade potential.

Attached: 453354435.jpg (337x450, 14K)

shuck easystores for cheap 8tb wd red drives

>4c/4t
>3.5GB VRAM
>How long till my current build is obsolete?
2.5 years ago.

user pls, don't make me feel bad, I OC'd my i5 to 5ghz and go the most stable OC i can on my 970, pls be nice.

thx user.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Q7Q2V6

any suggestions welcome

Attached: 4chan.png (1158x637, 60K)

literally, a meme build.
>mini itx

i like smaller builds

Monitor?

Probably til the PS5 if you want to play games

already have a monitor

Any news on when the next gen is coming out?
I heard rumors were q2-q3 this year but looks like that's not the case

Next gen of graphic cards that is

You can do the fix for both of them retrard

Q3 2018 aprentley for Nvidia Volta. Starting to hate new releases again, makes my shit feel old again, I was happy to get rid of my SLI 560TI's but now I feel outdated again and I barely play vidya.

B R O K E N
R
O
K
E
N

I'm looking for a micro ATX case that can fit a custom loop with a 1080ti block and a x399 monoblock. Been looking at the fractal define mini c and the meshify c mini and also crazy unrealistic stuff like the Caselabs Mercury S5. My budget is fairly flexible. Anyone have any recommendations?

No

I plan on building my new computer soon and this will be the first time I will have built one.

I have a few programs on my current harddrive that I would like to transfer to my new computer. Is it possible to just plug the old hard rive into the new computer with the new hard drive and transfer the files?

feel free to tell me that I'm a humongous retard

ryzen 1000 series are more reliable than the 2nd gen

yes user.

#waitfornavi #waitforzen2

thanks

Attached: 1500226030780.png (595x644, 275K)

Is there a specific brand that i should avoid when buying mainboards?

Not really, just pick the cheapest one with the features you want.

Biostar is complete shit. Everything else is basically fine. Just look up in depth reviews of specific models you're thinking of pulling the trigger on

$500 build or $750? Which one is better?

youtu.be/Esy9LK2N6LY

Attached: 1524811799823.jpg (240x240, 4K)

Not good for what you pay for.

What's a good CHEAP GPU to pair up with my FX-8350? To play games like PUBG, Fortnite, LoL, Minecraft, emulators, and a couple other games? My R9 290x unfortunately fucking died at the most inconvenient time when GPUs are expensive. I don't know whether to get a good GPU or a cheap one since I plan to upgrade in a year when prices go down.

>inb4 "muh normie games"

I have a FX-8350 and HAD a R9 290x (it died, rip) and I could run GTAV at ultra at 60+ fps with a few dips, and FO4 as well. It gets hot though.

Attached: 1516148241132.gif (200x200, 244K)

Is pirating Win 10 as easy as it was with Windows 7?

If you aren't concerned with the price, then yes it is currently the best CPU for gaming. But if you want similar performance for a slightly lower price then get the R7 2700. It does everything else better then the 8700K except for gaming.

If you play at 1440p, put more money towards the video card.

>Some AMD B350 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Pinnacle Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Does this mean my build won't work out the box?

Probably a GTX 1060 6GB.

But honestly man, I had an FX8350 and the single threaded performance is absolutely fucking abysmal for gaming.

I ended up getting a used i7-3770k off Craigslist for $120, found a cheap super basic motherboard online for $40.. and ran it at 4.5ghz. Night and day performance.

R9 cards do run hot as fuck tho. Had an XFX DD edition that fried itself.

But to answer your question probably a 1060 6GB card. Dont get a 1070, get a 1080 if you want to save up. But I would wait a few months because GPU prices WILL come down.

>R9 cards do run hot as fuck tho. Had an XFX DD edition that fried itself.
Same here, my Sapphire fried itself while playing PUBG. And the FX-8350 is also a space heater.

The 1060 looks good for my needs. Yeah I'm waiting a few months anyway. I'm thinking of buying a better cooler than the stock cooler for the FX-8350 so that I can overclock it and squeeze a bit more juice before I upgrade.

I'm also torn between AMD/Intel and Radeon/NVIDIA for my next build.

Nevermind I don't think I can overclock with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard.

Depends on the BIOS the mobo ships with. If it doesn't post and you've done your troubleshooting, you can get a boot kit for free from AMD with a first gen Ryzen CPU.

>I ended up getting a used i7-3770k off Craigslist for $120, found a cheap super basic motherboard online for $40
I know you were probably trying to reuse your DDR3, that swap may not have even been recent, but I'd always recommend getting a modern platform if you're bothering to upgrade.

Honestly I can't recommend an 8350 for PUBG. The new update helped IMMENSELY (I have a 6350), but you'll still get stuttering in some areas. Recent gen emulators are notoriously bad with FX as well.

You can pair it with anything from a 1050 to a 1060 if you don't want to upgrade yet

$750 build is significantly better, but get a bigger SSD (the one in the OP pcpartpicker) and use 2400MHz RAM because the i3 can't use faster than that on a B360

Yes but put all your important files in a folder on the root of the drive. Sometimes Windows gets jealous of the files in My Documents type folders, encrypts them, and then won't release them

Yeah, I figured. My point was that unless you have a really nice monitor your build is a waste

>q2-q3 this year
Probably July for 1180 and 1170, Fall for lower cards

>Same here, my Sapphire fried itself while playing PUBG. And the FX-8350 is also a space heater.
What's your experience with PUBG on an FX?

It wasn't perfect but good enough. Some patches would let me turn up some settings and the next patch would make it run like shit. But usually I would play it on low and it ran well, 60 fps and I don't recall many performance dips. It was playable, ~200 hours on PUBG.

The GPU died about a month ago.

New update is a dream, relatively speaking. You'll love it. If you really want the cheapest option for a decent graphics card, look into a used 970

Alright. Summer is coming and I'll be relieved of responsibilities so I really need to pick up a GPU.

I don't know whether I should get a cheap card so that I can hold for a year until I can upgrade my PC, or get a good GPU. I plan no recycling my RAM, case, and PSU. And if I get a cheap GPU then I would also like to integrate it to the new build and run it along with a better GPU so that I can connect multiple monitors.

Found a couple of oddities today on a ryzen 1700x + crosshair vii x470 + corsair mem ram
Mind you I didn't install hdd, sdd or OS yet. Just plugged the cpu, mem ram, (vga), psu to test them out. So no stability or further tests beyond a simple successful posting.

The cpu can go into 4.1ghz @ 1.32v, bclk 100 multi 41 (soc @1.2v) with a NH-d15 (temps seemed fine... at least idle in the bios, low 40's ºC) but it doesn't give a scrap more. 4.125 @1.45v doesn't even post. I found this quite baffling.
The ram, 32gb x4 (vengeance 3600 cl18; already confirmed it's a b-die), can run (it posts) at that 4.1ghz clock @ 3333mhz, 14-14-14-16-34-50 (+other tweaked values, mainly 60ohm, 1t, gear down off) but it doesn't give in any more on tightening the timings nor increased freq, even at 1.5v it doesn't post for 3400mhz; or cl13 for that matter.
I also tried to tighten the timings under 3200mhz, but it also wouldn't (as far as 1.45v not even 13-14-14, etc).

Other things, did anyone else notice the ridiculous voltages in the optimized defaults AND safe boot in the Crosshair VII. 1.46v, 1.45+ (for 3.4ghz~ default clock for the 1700x).
Also, for some reason I couldn't find out how to maintain the manual values entries unless running TPU II option (auto OC tuning) first, and then changing to manual over it otherwise the auto tuning kicks in and override all of your values, which you had to set to manual to even enter them. Which was also a bit strange.

Yes, I'm a noob in Overcloking, and was simply trying out the cpu and ram before I finish my system later. Any ideas?

>I don't know whether I should get a cheap card so that I can hold for a year until I can upgrade my PC, or get a good GPU.
Depends on if you absolutely need it soon or not. GPU prices are high regardless of where you look.

Best thing to do is it wait, but if you can't you're going to pay usually 30-50% higher than MSRP only to just upgrade soon.

>The cpu can go into 4.1ghz @ 1.32v
just emphasizing that I know this doesn't mean much without even booting into windows (or another stability tests), remember that my only test was posting or fail.

>I plan no recycling my RAM
Can't if you want anything recent

Did the Intel shills finally get cracked down or something?
This thread is now pretty logical and understanding for Jow Forums standards.

No, actually it's because the Ryzen shill started the OP and then fucked off.

Attached: Ryzen 2 gaming average OC.png (1920x1080, 1.19M)

>muh 10fps gayms performance in exchange for:
>security hardware flaws
>shitty TIM
>literaly no or absolute shit cooler
>loses to Ryzen is basically everything else but gayms
>delid this
Ok shill or buyer's remorse Intel Coffee Lake owner.

>3333mhz, 14-14-14-16-34-50
@ 1.35v

I don't need it soon, I can just do something else over the summer than stay inside playing games. But yeah you're definitely right GPU prices are fucked so I'm definitely waiting.

I've read on Jow Forums that 32GB is the new 8GB, and that I need high MHz. I've got a 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz x1, can't I just throw it on with some new 3000MHz RAM?

IT DOESN'T MATTER DELID

Attached: 1501991613334.png (882x758, 241K)

And the 2600 is 60 dollars cheaper than the 8600k and the 2600X is 40 dollars cheaper than the 8600k

Honestly what's better for overall computing, AMD or Intel CPUs? I do a lot of different tasks:

>creative software such as After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, PaintTool Sai, music software, 3D modeling software, etc...
>having tons of internet browser tabs and windows open, many PDFs open, reference management software, MS Office software, and so on simultaneously open while working on scientific shit
>Gayming with internet browser open in the background, comms software, and whatever else, and streaming at the same time
>Multiple monitors (3+)

No fanboyism please.

Tried to reply to your post.

>And the 2600 is 60 dollars cheaper than the 8600k and the 2600X is 40 dollars cheaper than the 8600k
how would they compare if the 8600k was cheaper than the 2600 by about 25 bucks?

>Honestly what's better for overall computing, AMD or Intel CPUs?
AMD by far

Still depends on the use case. Outside of gaming 6c/12t is still a better deal. Any reasonable overclock is going to need another cooler so add $50-100 as well. If gaming then it's a great deal, but meh otherwise.

You can see who the problem is, here I'm honestly surprised they can even spell delid correctly

OC doesn't give you more threads but its ok for regular desktop use.

Yes, that wall is just really quite a wall.
Maybe there is some tom foolery with the SoC voltage regulation but idk.

second the AMD by far.
You have to be beyond autistic to buy intel CPUs at this point

Depends on total cost for CPU+motherboard. You can use a fairly cheap b350 board with Ryzen 2000 series.

luv u

the thing is, those were good results. Didn't take much to reach them. But the fact that it won't give in a single inch more, with lots more voltage left me quite confused.

Is there any good microATX motherboard options for Ryzen Gen 2, all of the ones that I looked at had issues with them.

user, chill.
For gaymen purposes, intell is pretty good, for almost everything else, Ryzen is. I have built two systems lately for two friends, one like a month ago with an i5 8400 and a 1060 (it was going to be a 1080ti, crypto stuff), and he doesn't encode, streams, whatever, just gaymes, he wouldn't take any advantage of a Ryzen here. The other system was like 6 months ago or more and was a 1700 with a 1070 for a friend who will edit and encode some videos.
Even if someone doesn't just want to gayme, Intel might be still a good choice, sine it still can do pretty much the same but like 10~20% slower I guess (just a random number, maybe it's higher or lower).
If I had to get something for me, I'd get a 8400, thought I don't just gayme, but I don't care waiting some extra time encoding or whatever, but I do care about those extra 10~15 fps.

>32GB is the new 8GB
16GB is the new 8GB

>DDR3 @ 799MHz x1, can't I just throw it on with some new 3000MHz RAM
No, definitely not

8600K is a bad deal period considering Z mobo and cooler. Compare the i5 8400 to the 2600/X and you'll see it's the other way around. "Muh overclock" on the 2600/X is pointless considering they're already clocked at their sweet spots and you can barely get a 15% OC at the expense of thermals and power consumption

For all that check benchmarks. I'd say something like a Ryzen 6 or 8 core provided none of those programs can't deal with Ryzen. Photoshop likes Intel slightly better

pretty sure there aren't.
If Ryzen series 1 sets a precedent, you'll can only get tier 2 or B450 boards under that form factor.
You are welcome to wait for the summer season if anyone maybe release one, but I wouldn't my hopes up. You'd better resign for ATX; and/or get a bigger case.

Just get another 8GB 1600MHz stick of RAM, even a 4GB stick should do the trick.

Well fuck. I was hoping to save some money by using my original OEM xps 8900 mobo with my new tower, but it appears the Front Panel prongs are not compatible with the front panel power connectors from that tower

Look in the manual for it, there should be pinouts available. Use those to figure out how to connect the front panel.

That's disappointing

you could get an adapter or maybe just get a power button from aliexpress and use that, or maybe even cutting the cables and just fit them manually could work
show a pic of both and your feet and see what you can do

It's just the gayms advantage, look at all the overall downgrades like shitty TIM & hardware security flaws & shit stock cooler or no cooler at all.
Intel is not bad at all in terms of performance, but overall Ryzen beats it and comes to performance in games to a difference that no average gamer would ever notice. Why pay more for less when you can pay less for more?
Funny thing is that this is barely Zen + and Zen 2 is set to be even better in 7nm. Intel just doesn't reward their consumers at all for some reason (more $$$).

>Depends on total cost for CPU+motherboard
165€ 8600k + 154€ asrock z370 extreme4 = 319€ + something like the thermalright macho rev.b for 53€ for the cooler; that would total to about the same price as a 2600x with the cheapest x470 board (msi x470 gaming plus). I'm not quite sure about b350 boards. Also not sure about ram compatibility and speeds.

What a shit time to be in the market people are still trying to part with Old gpus for msrp I think everyone should just wait for the new Nvidia or Vega not sure how long we are going to have to wait for the 3rd party cards and not reference versions though

*It's not just
Point is:
I like competition from AMD's Ryzen CPUs :^)

>shitty TIM
Irrelevant if it gets well cooled.
>hardware security flaws
Not a problem unless you have secret work that can't be seen by anyone right now like a movie or whatever, or if you have child porn on it. These security flags can be patched.
>shit stock cooler or no cooler at all
On the 8400 build I mentioned, my friend is using the stock cooler and never got over 60ºC on a smol case.
The i5 8400 is like 162€ while the r5 2600 is 195€.
I will tell my other friend to get a 3700 or maybe even wait for the Zen 3/3+ if it's still compatible, but the intel build will do just fine until that time.