I just inherited

one of these ugly beasts.. what should i do with it?

everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_dv_plus_450.html

Attached: cd9151c31572d5d11eb3a32df82cdbb3[1].jpg (300x300, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPC601.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

piss on it and uplaod to u2be

ebay
maybe there is someone dumb enough to buy it

for some reason i thought the first responce was going to be install gentoo ... it boots.. but seems kinda dirty. had to set the time.

going to try flash update (bios) and update to os x 10.4. but first going to see what kind of crap the owners had .. (nutscrape communicator.)

If you get it up to at least 256Mb of Ram, you might be able to put Lubuntu 16.04 on it

if i can find it i can stick a gig of ram in it..

turn it into an aquarium

>had to set the time.
Get used to it, most of those old apple internal batteries are toast

this
or a kitty cubby

Attached: imac-turned-cat-bed-designboom-07.jpg (818x352, 49K)

hrmm kitty cubby seems to be the better idea (i do have a cat.. he'd go nuts trying to get at the fish)

with apple products theres always someone dumb enough to buy it

meet these guys half way

an aquarium with yellow tint so it looks like piss

SSH, programming, old games

>what should i do with it?
Drop it off at the recycling center for proper disposal.

CRTs are very expensive and that one seems to be quite good. sell it and get some monies

>SSH, programming, old games
i was wondering if it would be possble to run a remote termninal to connect to a windows server.. mess with people who see wanglbows running on it.

get some shitty g3 linux distro and make it boot into rdp.

Do what you want. It might be aplel, but keep in mind it is ppc - so no Spectre and Meltdown. It also has enough horsepower for casual shitposting. Slap on a ppc compatible linux distro (gentoo?) and you will be good to go.

do you by chance own a boat?

shitpost from Mac OS9

one of the things i was thinking about. but ti's a lowly shitposting box. . don't we need i9's to shitpost with?

>do you by chance own a boat?
nope.. i'd use it as an anchor then..

>shitpost from Mac OS9

i need to make desk space for it.. or find an airport upgrade that works with it. (need to plug it in to the network untill then)

This

>Linux
I've never had a good Linux experience on a PowerPC Mac. OpenBSD's my go-to and has been flawless other than no IP over FireWire

Scoop out the old guys, build a good pc that can fit in there

This.
Company I used to work for retired a ton of their old macs that they deemed too old. They wiped everything and let employees take them. Most actually brought them back because they couldn't figure out how to "fix" them i.e. reinstall OSX. I ended up taking like 30 of them, clean installed OSX and flipped on eGay for $500 each. That was an amazing $15k for nothing. Mind, these were Core 2 Duo macs and were basically unusable trash that could barely handle Youtube, but macfags gonna macfag. Fruit cultists are the most gullible fucking retards on the planet. If you get the chance, milk them for everything they're worth.

Fuck off

Both excellent options.

>were basically unusable trash that could barely handle Youtube,
This is the point where your credibility crashed.

Don't those things have trinitron screens?

This. Even modern Macs can barely handle Youtube, I doubt those pieces of shit could even boot.

Attached: 1517984510619.jpg (1944x2592, 1.04M)

You have never used a Mac, have you?

Why would he do that when he could just shitpost with ignorance and prejudice

dang

Attached: sold.png (952x876, 401K)

PowerPC CPUs work best on Gentoo.

/thread

What the hell, i bought two of those for $20 a piece

In pooper

This is almost as funny as people still playing $400 for a G5.

Put Linux on it and enjoy having one of the most A E S T H E T I C machines that Apple ever put out. Spend your time getting an appropriately A E S T H E T I C desktop set up on it too, just don't try to use the original mouse.

>it is ppc - so no Spectre and Meltdown
Pretty much anything PowerPC is vulnerable to Spectre, including the entire Power Macintosh line. The PowerPC 601 processor, which was used in the first Power Macintosh computers, already offered branch prediction and out of order execution. It should be noted though that attacks exploiting the various Spectre vulnerabilities need to be targeted, and I don't think it's likely that people will go out of their way to write a version to attack PowerPC based machines so you may still have security through obscurity going for you. I guess the real question is if any of the Motorola 68k line is vulnerable.

Info about the PowerPC 601 processor that mentions it offering branch prediction and out of order execution if you want it:
nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPC601.pdf

Funnier, $400 for a top of the line dual dual core Power Mac G5 is a far better deal than hundreds for a G3

Throw it in the trash, where it belongs.

Collectors in general are retarded.

Attached: 3Dfx boxes.jpg (744x655, 130K)

No, the most A E S T H E T I C mac in that style is the eMac.

Attached: 30858627-2-440-overview-1.gif (830x467, 65K)

Remember, they were probably iMacs. Those are built with laptop parts, and mobile Core 2 hasn't aged nearly as well as desktop Core 2.

I was always partial to the LC500 cases.

Am I retarded? It seems like even Mac collectors hate them and just strip them for parts for modded Color Classics

Attached: 575.jpg (400x349, 26K)

damn

So who here remembers the XGI Volari V8 Duo?

Attached: xgi_volari_v8_duo_ultra_f.jpg (4548x2544, 971K)

still bullshit. My 2009 Mac mini is c2d and most definitely made with laptop parts and it more than handles YouTube. It's hooked up to my TV because I'm too cheap to replace a 65" TV that works just fine with a "smart TV" when I can repurpose an old Mac mini into htpc. It runs Plex for streaming to other devices, Kodi for output to TV and YouTube at 1080p.

I'm using a 2008 iMac right now, 1080p YouTube works fine.

I do but not for good reasons.

It's garbage. Take it back and get one of these:

Attached: macssh.jpg (1632x1224, 832K)

You're not retarded. You just likely fall into one of two groups: you either grew up on the //e as one of your first computers so that "feel" sticks with you, or you're way too young to have ever had the chance to use one and only know of them in old pictures and shit, maybe an older cousin using one in an old family photo looking totally happy.

Older? You hate it. Too young for it to be one of your first computers but old enough to have used one in your youth? You hate it.

Mine is a cat bed. The kitty likes it.

at least the monitor runs at 95hz native

make a custom pc in it with ready rods

Not the superior Tangerine model.

Ugh.

Ubuntu is fucking garbage.

>running 10.4 on that
No, just put 9 on it. Download a bunch of shit for it on the Macintosh Garden plus Classilla and it will make a fun general use system.

If you really want OS X, 10.1 will probably run okay with it, and you can dual-boot them.

My elementary school had a huge number of these in classrooms. Pretty sure they were LC520s, but we almost never used them (teachers didn't allow it without "supervision"... because lord knows those skilled hackers could get into a 68k Mac that wasn't connected to the internet). Whenever we needed to do something involving computers, it was done in the library, on DEC desktops like pic related. The Macs were almost a charming novelty. When my parents bought our first computer in 1999 (a beige G3 we bought used), it seemed instantly familiar. But it never had the same comfy feeling these LCs did.

I tried snagging one when I found out my old school was trashing them in 2004, but almost had the police called on me for "theft of school board property". Seriously, taking a computer in a bin that was going to be hauled off to an e-waste recycler.

Attached: DEC_celebris.jpg (1600x1177, 245K)

Osx9 is better than any Linux kernel even current ones and no systemd

take it with you when you travel back in time and use it to beat the shit out of the asshole who designed the round mouse that accompanied it.

Throw it from the highest building you have access to.

Grind it up in a Cuisinart and eat it

Attached: iMac g5 g4.jpg (1280x720, 383K)

Why would someone want this?
The only reason i can see someone buying one of these is to be used as a prop in a movie or something like that.

Nostalgia

A little bit of me is nostalgic for the coloured plastic aesthetic or even the old White Polycarbonate.
I dunno, Aluminum is everywhere now, so it's gotten boring.

nostalgic/sentimental attachment, historical interest, novelty, cool aesthetic, whatever else
a good quad G5 that's been well maintained is more than worth like half a week's pay if you're gonna get more than half a week's use out of it, though I'm pretty content with my $50 2.3DC

>this is the criterium of success for crapple fangays
lmao

Why’d you reply to such an ancient post with something so shitty and not worth reading?

Why do newfags try so hard to fit in like this? Like do you actually think it’s funny or are you just thirsty for attention even if it’s completely negative, like some kind of animal?

Is this a retro thread?

I could really go for a retro thread.

Attached: IMG_20180311_145616.jpg (2340x4160, 2.51M)

OP here, this looks like the best option. Gonna clean this up and list it. Thanks Jow Forums.

>>running 10.4 on that
>No, just put 9 on it. Download a bunch of shit for it on the Macintosh Garden plus Classilla and it will make a fun general use system.
>
>If you really want OS X, 10.1 will probably run okay with it, and you can dual-boot them.

i actually managed to get 9.2 running. got the flash update as well. os x is being a bitch to install.

thinking about installing some kind of shitpostingbrowser but goddamn shit is so outdated no websites open. or don't look right. gonna have to maybe try get a virtualization going to run xp on it? lol

>OP here, this looks like the best option. Gonna clean this up and list it. Thanks Jow Forums.

LOL not.. but it is probably best idea. i think i'll try restore it and flip it .. got it for free. few hrs installing 9.2 and trying to get it to shitposting status. clean it up (some pen marks arround on the body are going to be a pain to remove) and see how much i can get for it on ebay when i'm tired of it.

Attached: gtfo impostor.jpg (1914x792, 236K)

Fuck me, that's aesthetic.
I miss when computers and monitors we're all off the wall looking crap