Another update broken on the meme distro

archlinux.org/news/js52-5273-2-upgrade-requires-intervention/

Why do people (Reddit) put up with this bullshit

Attached: arch meme.jpg (1024x768, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because I prefer choice and up-to-date software over stability and don't mind infrequent breaks.

>let me intervent for a moment

Gentoo, Debian testing, and Open Suse tumbleweed all exist

>This is now fixed and both files are present in the package.
>update was fixed
>why do users put up with people fixing mistakes?
are you actually retarded, or are you merely pretending?

literally uninstall update reinstall
didn't even have to look for any answer

>gentoo
I don't want to complie for days
>debian testing
I don't want something broken to be broken for 6 months

HO shit, I did a manual intervention without reading the ArchLinux home page. That was fucking hard.

>only impacted users are mozarella firefucks users

And nothing of value was lost that day.

>lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

>Arch has always been a simple distribution in terms of the developer perspective, not the user one. Using systemd made it simpler than ever in that regard because much more work is taken care of by both the systemd developers and all of the projects shipping unit files
>It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible
>It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian
>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian
>Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc
>Arch is the opposite of a distribution with lots of user freedom
>It's clearly not based on what you say it is, and *never* has been. It has always used significantly more disk space and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development perspective)
Indeed, why do Archfags use such an anti-user distro? Why do they like having blobs in their kernel?
>j-just compile your own
Nobody compiles their own, because that's the antithesis of the AUR, which lazy Arch users love to use and tout the benefits despite no vetting or security.

What browser do you use?

>and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian
What a lie!

From my experience TW was breaking a lot more compared to Arch. Luckily you have snapshots so you can just roll back the update. Ez. But I haven't had an update break Arch yet, during the two years I've used. This would've resulted in the update not going through but wouldn't have broken anything AFAIK. But I'm subscribed to arch-ammouncements mailing list so if there's manual intervention necessary I've always heard about before I've updated, at least so far

Why would an Arch dev lie? Straight from the horses mouth, can't even defend Arch, just goes on a passive-aggressive tirade. Also, it's from 2015. Debian offers a minimal CD, you can build a minimal system just like you can with Arch. Arch is not minimal.

Didn't break anything (in the system), but without manual intervention the update wouldn't have gone through. I haven't had Arch update break the system for me, but I'm subscribed to arch-anmoucements (or something like that) so I've always heard about the manual steps necessary before anything happens.

I did install minimal Debian and minimal Arch. Arch won.

> Windows releases a broken update
> AJAJAJAJA WINDOWS KEKS ENJOY YOUR SHITTY SOFTWARE BOTNET LOL
> Linux cucks release broken sub par shit
> Who cares?
makes you think

Attached: 1525488625806.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Yeah whatever arch is still better than your shitty noob distro.

It's Arch, this is expected. It isn't Ubuntu or something.

>I prefer choice
You sound like a feminist... Not that i pictured arch users differently
>up-to-date software
How does 4.16 work for you differently than the 4.15?
How does mesa 17.3.9 affect you negatively than the 18.0.2?
What does X 1.19.99.905 do more for you than the 1.19.6?

When I meet archfags face to face, I ask them those questions...and nobody knows even the major version of their programs. They don't know why the hunt for the latest updates, they have no idea why their s/w has to be "bleeding edge"

They do, though, some of them remember the infamous kernel bug that erased partitions.

I was on the hunt for up-to-date mesa for my SI gpu a few years back, but I wanted the implemented features earlier than my distro offered....so I either repackaged/backported it, or imported the experimental repos.
I had a reason for a part of my system to be bleeding edge. Now that the updates on mesa doesn't affect my gpu, maybe some day in the future when they implement xfire, so I don't need to chain-update every fucking day every fucking dependancy.
I know why you use bleeding anus s/w, when it breaks you have something to do.

>Yeah whatever arch is still better than your shitty noob distro
Why does it feel like tech illiterate underage twerps flock to Arch nowadays? The wiki has a Steam page, walks you through enabling DRM to watch Netflix, has Discord in the AUR, ships blobs and non-free firmware, adopts anti-features like systemd simply out of convenience for the devs, etc. Nobody actually uses Arch for productivity, and anybody that cares about freedom/isn't an ignorant gamer doesn't touch it. Anyone who can install Arch off the top of their head just moves on to Gentoo.

Attached: 1409285028059.png (383x400, 31K)

>Why do they like having blobs in their kernel?
Their devs like to have blobs in their kernel.
More blobs, less time deblobing, easy fast-food packaging, less time maintaing the distro and more time ricing some random WM.

>Implying arch isn't a nub distro

Arch is just Windows for hipsters.

>Windows releases broken update
Microsoft: go fuck yourself, just re-install or something, if you want something that just werks buy a Mac.

>Arch releases a broken update
Arch Wiki: OK, that's annoying but here is how you fix it.......

If you complain for having to manually delete a file the Linux is not meant for you.

>check option

Attached: check.png (225x225, 892)

>up-to-date software
kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/

"If your Linux systems are running a normal Linux distribution, go update your kernel. They should all have the updates in them already. And then keep updating them over the next few weeks, we are still working out lots of corner case bugs given that the testing involved here is complex given the huge variety of systems and workloads this affects. If your distro does not have kernel updates, then I strongly suggest changing distros right now.

However there are lots of systems out there that are not running “normal” Linux distributions for various reasons (rumor has it that it is way more than the “traditional” corporate distros). They rely on the LTS kernel updates, or the normal stable kernel updates, or they are in-house franken-kernels. For those people here’s the status of what is going on regarding all of this mess in the upstream kernels you can use."

Looks like there's an argument for bleeding-edge, friendo. :-)

>delete one file
>move on
wow that was hard
i'm not gonna tell you what i put in the options field since mods are particularly autistic these days, but you know.

Anti-Archfags BTFO.

>Oh no Arch is shit and breaks up every update.
I don't have the proper slowpoke picture for you OP.
Why do you think only NEETs trying to rice their shit and talk about how bloated other distros are use it? Did you really believe the pony fedoralords were right?

Attached: 1524329798725.gif (556x720, 335K)

>having to delete a file to perform an update is comparable to the bullshit windows shoves down your throat like gwx
Unironically neck yourself. Remember to jump from a high place so that the rope snaps your neck and it all ends quickly.

Let's see a nub install it.

I didn't think people actually used Antergos.

Attached: 1503940221367.png (460x460, 91K)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Arch. I use Fedora though

We all know you haven't left your house in months...

Anti arch threads pretty much always devolve into mouthfoaming autism. Enjoy your thread my dude.

Why Arch over Gentoo?

Hi, I had no prior linux, programming, or any cs experience and I was able to install Arch just fine on a laptop and desktop just by following the wiki.

just switched to arch linux after using ubuntu for 8 years. I don't know, it feels faster.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-05 21-42-04.png (735x502, 70K)

>t. plebian

>i use ff from mozilla
LOL

and?

>documented issue is the same thing
yeah no