OOP is garbage

The most retarded form of programming there is.

Prove me wrong.

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f75706c6f61642e77696b696d656469612e6f72672f77696b6970656469612f636f6d6d6f6e732f746875 (2000x1590, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/03/execution-in-kingdom-of-nouns.html
youtu.be/QM1iUe6IofM
youtu.be/IRTfhkiAqPw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

depends what you're making tbqh

Daily reminder that Jow Forums has not a single argument against OOP that's not just stupid cat -v parroting or functional programming shilling.

Hello there. As far as paradigms go, I am with you that a functional paradigm is superior. However, in the real world Imperative languages are rightfully used in situations where performance is invaluable, and things like memory addresses and other low level things are interacted with directly. This is mostly just given the true nature of most architecture.

Your functional language rests on top of many imperative things that it abstracts away from you so that you don't have to think about them. They are still there, and the compiler certainly still has to consider them.

Also guys it's gonna be 2020 soon can we move on from this at least 50% of you are like a year out of your CS major.

OOP is a tool you can take or leave depending the situation

It's great for allowing your corporate bloatware to accrete "features", while hopefully keeping your herd of codedrones from tripping over their own shoelaces.

Attached: 1519259330493.jpg (1200x630, 192K)

I love this thread. It's been a while since the last one. I love shitting on OOP because it's so fun and easy, even though I love C#.

steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/03/execution-in-kingdom-of-nouns.html

>Most successful software companies use it
>The most influentatial programmers of the last century switched over to it or even started with it
vs
>Yeah I mean sure I use it wrong and will only give worst-case-artificial scenarios but that means that even when its done right its bad right? Just like nitroglycerin makes people blow up and can't save them if dosed right.
>Dude trust me I might be unemployed or have nothing to show nor have I ever done anything cool but surely my subjective opinion is worth more than the above two points?!?

All replies after this will be sage for me. Grow up kiddo.

Attached: 12314.jpg (628x314, 31K)

OOP will always be superior when handling complex data types or expected states.

Attached: 123123.jpg (283x267, 26K)

You do what you must do, if you have to bite, you bite, if you have to use OOP, you use OOP.
Of course, using OOP won't win you many fights, but may prevent one.

Attached: bruce_lee_a_p.jpg (349x466, 53K)

t. Brainlet who got a D in his OOP class and had to retake it.

You can't understand functional programming.

Functional programming is what everyone learns in their first 2 semesters of cs.

false:
youtu.be/QM1iUe6IofM

youtu.be/IRTfhkiAqPw

so you admit that you're not old enough to be browsing this board

Attached: 1516488880242.png (1217x960, 1.69M)

>1st video
>OOP is bad because it doesn't work, but I won't give you examples or an alternative to inheritance and polymorphism; I'll shill FP though.
>2nd video
>OOP is bad because these people misused it in piss-easy projects.
Try harder.

OOP is not garbage. The proof is that every piece of software you are running was written using OOP.
I agree that it is the most retarded form of programming, but that's what makes it so powerfull. If even a retarded is able to use OOP imagine what an engineer could do with it!

This guy speaks truth

OOP is garbage
Functional is better, but I think it's still garbage
Imperative is closest to the CPU, obviously

I personally think multi-paradigm languages are best cause you can use the right tool for the job

You replied to the wrong post.

>imagine being such a brainlet that you exclaim "try harder" when your don't even bother trying yourself
how retarded do you have to be to think that a procedural programmer is shilling FP, miss the fact that examples are literally provided in the second video, and then simultaneously complain about "easy" examples, when he follows it up with a rewrite of a real-world emulator project as an example in his 3rd video?

Dense ass pajeet.

Attached: 1522317048443.png (457x140, 12K)

functional programming is really just the harder and more autistic form of OOP.
what else do you call it when you have to explicitly pass around structures of data because you are too afraid of global state?

decoupling interface from implementation makes complete sense,as does strong typing, but yeah the rest of OOP is shit

>stupid cat -v parroting
you mean "actual arguments"

OOP just doesn't work for me. I tried java, I tried smalltalk. Both seemed shitty

GOF design patterns are referendums on missing language constructs, yes.

My University doesn't not teach functional programming for beginners. It's imperative then straight to OO. Most American Universities are like that. Functional programming has been phased out for a long time.

Just use a Monad if you want state.
If you pass a lot of shit around you are doing it wrong.

Object oriented programming is a method of thinking adapted into various languages, not the other way around.
Each programming paradigm exists for a reason and have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Many great things have been created with it, and to deny that it has benefited many would be an outrageous claim.

Go fuck yourself OP, you're the true retard here.

Kind of like English. The dumbest, most retarded language in the world, and yet it's the most used, most versatile, and home to the most beautiful collection of words ever put to paper (Shakespeare). Just goes to show a crappy medium doesn't prohibit spectacular results.

Strange, we learned to write functions and not use global variables long before learning oop

For short, I believe that people don't know how to do OOP code and how to structure it, and will immediately rely on shitty concept that only manager with no programming knowledge would want to push.
You end up with a lot of garbage and a over engineered code to do simple tasks.
maybe 80% of the people at my college courses wanted to use inheritance and other abstraction thing to do simple tasks, and according teachers it's the same shit everyday, people feel forced to use some OOP concept cause they are "cool" and "ease programming"

OOP fixes some "problems" that functional and others had, but at the same time introduced its own. If you think one is superior to the other in an objective fashion, you're severely mistaken.
Comes down to preference.

State is the root of all evil.
Imperative scatters state everywhere, like pajeets on a street.
OOP tries to hide state within objects, but it's an illusion, since no one designs objects with strong invariants.
Pure FPL denies state, and thus makes things harder to write, but easier to reason about.

>Pure FPL denies state
No. They just force you to be explicit about state.