/spg/ - Smartphone General

The fold is coming

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>Recent news
>Xiaomi Launches Mi Music and Mi Video in India
xda-developers.com/xiaomi-launches-mi-music-mi-video-india/

>Asus ZenFone Max Pro M1 update brings Face Unlock and April security patches
xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-max-pro-m1-update-brings-face-unlock-and-april-security-patches/

>Return of the stylus: What will it take to beat Samsung?
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-S-Pen-vs-Apple-stylus-rumors_id104555

>Gameloft launches Dungeon Hunter Champions on Android and iPhone
phonearena.com/news/Gameloft-launches-Dungeon-Hunter-Champions-Android-iPhone_id104640

Last

Attached: Samsung-galaxy-x.png (960x533, 303K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
youtu.be/wlboZNEP6bs
forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-p2
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone know how to root a Sony Xperia E D2005 smartphone without using a PC?

Attached: Sony Xperia E1 D2005.jpg (796x844, 79K)

Huawei Y9 or P20 lite?
>inb4 >huawei

Does the LG G5 really bootloop?

No. That’s why they got sued, oh wait.

iPhone X

?

Just upgraded my Samsung galaxy s4 for an iPhone X 256GB for $600. How'd I do?

What is the most weeb smartphone?
Probably something Xperia, right?

Attached: 1514947143228.png (901x931, 1M)

why would I buy an S9 for $700 when I can get a mix 2s for $540

I just got a ZX1 Compact and it is very classic Sony. It looks like their '80s hifi units. It's very Japanese, in that the interface is clean, the phone is quick and efficient, and there aren't any surprises or weirdness.

hey im on verizon, need to get a new phone. have about 300 to spend. Use cell phones a lot, so i was hoping to get a phone with a decent battery. Was thinking of getting a refurbished s7 edge w/ snapdragon cpu for 280 since the edge has a larger battery than other phones. You guys think its worth getting? Was thinking of getting a lg g6 instead, however im getting a phone due to my lg g4 getting the bootloop issue, which makes me wary of getting another lg phone. Really dont want my phone to have bootloop issues in a year. Anyways thanks, open to suggestions to, hoping to order a phone soon.

Is there anything better than the moto g5 plus i can get this very moment for less than $250 on verizon?

Still too much on a phone, but a solid deal on the iPhone.

My shitty lumia's battery is dead, so I thought I should invest in an actually decent smart phone.
Budget is around £200 ($270) but I'm flexible.
I'd like this to last me a good few years of light use, without having to deal with update problems or something stupid bricking it.
Definitely want android, I'm not gonna rice it, but I want to get all the apps I need, and some ability to tweak the UI, make it more minimal and only have the stuff I use on it.
>4"-5", maybe 5.5", I'd like it to fit comfortably in my pocket
>sim unlocked
>don't care that much about the camera, just that it works
>decent internal memory, and preferably expansion like microsd
>audio jack is required
>I won't cry over notches, and bezels aren't that bad
>primarily for calls/text/music, and sometimes apps and browsing
>a solid battery life would be good, and a removable battery would greatly extend its lifespan, right?

So far I've heard I should consider Moto, LG, Samsung, maybe Pixel, anything else? Anything more specific?

Any help would be appreciated.

Used original pixel or Motorola G6 when it comes out.

>android
>2012+6
LOL

Attached: IMG_20180506_004147.jpg (960x1280, 90K)

>USA
no, but a chinkphone would be better value if you were in europe

Has there been any development on the project so far? I remember seeing a similar pic like 4 months ago.

Yea windows aarch64 works beautifully

Attached: IMG_20180506_004208.jpg (768x1280, 136K)

Oh fuck it's 10, those old screenshots I remembered were Win8.

Moto G6 or Moto G5 Plus, whichever is cheaper or whichever you prefer (both available as 4/64 for memory/storage). They're already stock Android aside from the Moto app which merely serves to add functionality to the capacitive button/fingerprint scanner (swipe left for back, right for recent apps, tap for home, hold half a second to turn off the screen, and hold a full second for Google search) as well as gesture functions when the screen is off (chop twice for flashlight/torch and twist twice for camera).

Interesting, thanks. Can you give me a rundown of the differences between G5+, G6, G6+, G6play?

??

G5 Plus uses the SD625 which is the most efficient SoC of its time. It can handle all games, but you'll experience some FPS drops in demanding shooters and racing games. This is the model if you prefer a 16:9 display. It also features an f/1.7 rear camera (Google aperture if you don't know what this means).

G6 uses the SD450 SoC which is only a slight downgrade from the SD625 in that it has lower maximum clockspeeds for its CPU cores (1.8 GHz versus 2 GHz), but both its CPU and GPU are otherwise the same as the SD625. This is the model if you prefer an 18:9 (2:1) display. It features an f/1.8 rear camera.

G6 Plus uses the SD630 SoC which is basically an overclocked SD625. This is unfortunate given they're both 14nm fabs as it'll consume more power than performance it'll offer and extra heat it'll generate (the SD625's thermal efficiency is perfect, so this is a big concern). It features an f/1.7 rear camera. I wouldn't recommend this phone unless evidence comes to support better thermal management in the future (possible better thermal paste under the hood, who knows), and even then it'll still offer less SoT (screen on-time).

The G6 Play is an absolute meme. It sports the SD430 SoC which is the same garbage SoC featured in the G5 base model. It has the 18:9 display equivalent to 720p (so 720x1440). I wouldn't recommend this phone to my worst enemies.

Is there a phone that
>works in US
>has OLED display
>has microSD slot
>has headphone jack
>has battery life that you would call "great"
>is comfortable to hold in hand and can be operated one-handed

any samsung phone if you're not a handlet, no?

Lumia 950XL

One thing I found after cracking my screen like a retard was that sony doesn't do first party repair services in the US, and just tell you to find a phone repair service.

I was considering a G5S or maybe the G6
But then I realized I could get a V20 and extended battery for literally ~220 on amazon. And that was that.

Not a fan of displays over 1080p except for 1080x2160 (18:9) displays which have solid reasoning behind them by being able to increase screen real estate without widening the screen. Maybe when 4K becomes the new standard, my opinion will change.

Other than that, I don't really see a problem with the V20 since it has a removable battery to make up for its bad SoT, so you can just change it out if you don't have the time to stop and charge it.

You can literally get 6k mAh and 10k mAh batteries with phaaat backs for the V20. Problem resolved.
But also there are ROMs and mods that extend battery life further and make those problems negligible.
The camera set up on the V20 and quad DAC make up for any short comings. Its the only sub $500 phone right now that does slow motion if that appeals.
I had an S4 active (job pays for service) but couldn't get an upgrade through work, finally caved and bought one. I cared about the camera above all else. NO RAEGRATS

Attached: 31530925_633666766972625_8810928552212955136_n.jpg (540x543, 39K)

This seems like the place to ask. Is there an android device that isnt considered a phone but can serve as one? Like a tablet but also not a tablet.

S9

Considering getting the LG V30, but I noticed that some reviews complain of screen problems. Was that just a first run issue?

Thank you for warning me off G6 plus, it looked better, but if it has worse battery life, and a risky heating issue, then I'd rather the only slightly worse G6 standard.
I'm not interested in a great camera, or mobile gaming, but most things seem to point me toward the regular G6 as my best option, I'll try to get the 4gb/64gb version.

I looked it up, and while the V20 looks good, I can't seem to get the same deal for a new one.

If I'm getting the moto g6 4gb/64gb, is there anything I should look out for, any flaws or minor issues? Any major faults?

Yeah, man. Sounds good. I'm glad you found something you like.

Is the Pixel 2 all its hyped up to be?

I understand why they did it (to technically increase performance), but the cost of that in overclocking a smartphone's processor outweighs it in terms of efficiency since smartphones generally run on batteries (limited energy in between charges) and are passively cooled (no fan or anything) whereas such makes more sense on desktop computers which don't use batteries and can be water-cooled.

I enjoy mobile gaming on the fly (mainly card games and RPGs), but I can't stand playing intensive real-time games like shooters and racing games with smartphone controls at all, so these midrange phones are essentially perfect for me.

The cameras are all good as far as cameras go; you won't need anything better unless you're an actual photographer anyway. That said, I absolutely recommend the 4/64 variant whenever possible. 4 GB of memory is incredible for those instances where you're doing a lot on your smartphone at once (or if you like to maintain a lot of tabs in Chrome or Firefox at any given time), and that 64 GB of storage means you'll only ever want to add in a microSD (128 GB for only $40 USD by the way) if you want to maintain an extensive music collection or a decent video collection on your phone.

would be the s9 with the stipulation that you have to get a case or skin otherwise this fucker will fly off your hand.
also since the curve is there, if you go caseless anyway, sometimes the portion of your hand below the thumb may pass by the curve. really should have kept the non plus variant flat.

Why are smartphone so fucking shit now

I'm still holding on to my LG G4 and it's like the perfect phone (I got one out of the bootloop range)
>Re moveable battery
>good battery life
>not a fuckhuge piece of glass for MUH MOVIES
>good camera
>comfortable button placement
>good dev community
>removable storage option

and this is nothing from somebody who owned the peak of smartphones: the nexus one. Is there anything that even comes close these days or are we just stuck in a hell

Attached: 1466996898493.gif (300x300, 2.17M)

wanting to make the switch from an iphone 6. It's been fucky lately, had it for...only 2 or 3 years, what a piece of junk.

G4 is xbox hueg and runs on housefire chip.
G6 is better in every way.
If you're that autistic about battery get G5 or V20.

Looking to upgrade phones as my 6P is dying.
Don't have any particular preferences for a phone outside it having a good battery life, expandable memory and compatible with Australian carriers.

iPhone X

XZ1
XZ1c for extra battery

any iphone

GF wants to get a new phone. She's wondering between note 8, S9 or waiting for note 9. Upgrading from the Note 3.

>Country
Australia

>Features
NFC, ideally a good camera. Good variety of cases (specifically KakaoTalk characters).

Budget/size are whatever.

Used S7 for $175USD worth it as a replacement for a bootlooped Nexus 6P

Kill yourself

My next phone will likely be a Pixel 3 or iPhone X-2.

I'm curious about the iCould service. Is it encrypted? Do American accounts Sync and continue to work in China?

The most weeb thing would be buying a smartphone that's only available in Japan, like Fujitsu or Sharp

Nokia 6 2018

I'm looking into buying a refurbished Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE. Is this a good QWERTY-phone?

I'm a little worried as being a Scandicuck I'm going to need letters that are not present on the actual keyboard...

Attached: 1520387804130.jpg (600x471, 94K)

>expandable memory

Those kinda suck though, in terms of software.
Sharp is just chinkshit now.

What is the best phone for around 200 EUR that is UNDER 5.5 inches and has a fast CPU?

Xiaomis are all fuckhuge except the Redmi 5A which has an SD 425

Mi5, used mi 6 maybe.

unironically iphone or docomo for full weebness

Attached: fade.jpg (1366x768, 145K)

Does Daschan support notifications already?

Mi A1 owners, what rom do you use? Also, any other tweak?

iPhone 8

Been on the fence between LG G6 and Samsung A8 2018.

The former seems a little more powerful (snapdragon 821 vs. Exynos 7885) and with slightly better battery, but the latter have better support (updates) and compatibility (would probably use sidesync a lot).

Aside regular phone use, main activity would be games and watching videos.
Can get them at pretty much same price.

Which one would you suggest grabbing?
Is either of them prone to overheat or have any issue with games after some time?

>tfw the only phone with back volume buttons and fingerprint powerbutton is the V10

So i got a loaner phone (sg-360) while my galaxy 8+ is being repaired. Im actualy debating just buying this phone as a work phone because i do manual labor and the galaxy 8+ screens are ridiculous to repair let alone find a screen shield for.

Anyway, i dont know a whole lot about phones so can someone tell me if (i think) i decide to buy this loaner for $100 am i being stupid with my money?

Tldr: I want something that does the same functions as the galaxy 360 and is cheap

Attached: 1318440758001.jpg (500x375, 50K)

>not updating news
Shit OP.

Is the iPhone X really a good phone

V30

Lenovo P2, Redmi Note 5 (Plus).

>Redmi Note 5

no OLED

>Is there anything that even comes close these days
An inevitable bootloop.
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/

>Redmi Note 5
>no OLED
No burn in even if you tried?

>chink botnet

Attached: alice no.png (371x404, 235K)

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY SURFACE PHONE REEE

Attached: microsoft-foldable-surface-phone-feature-720x720.jpg (720x480, 43K)

Nadella, you twat, this could save your god forsaken company

Attached: 31192427103350-t1200x480.jpg (1200x480, 76K)

Redmi Note 4X Miku blue edition

use a mac

Firing a gun to answer phone calls.

Bump you faggots. Answer this 30 year old boomer's vague question. Also post a meme

Has someone experience rooting xiaomi and this bootloader ? fucking nightmare. I already went to different stuff. Say try the locate device,. But the fucking site isn't locating the phone

youtu.be/wlboZNEP6bs
Well for some reason this ad reminds me of the Vita so I guess.

I swear to fuck you faggots never give me any advice. Im going to reddit fuck you guys

Yes

Anybody got a recommendation around Note 8, S9 or Note 9?

Moto E4

>chink botnet
Except both of those devices have ulockable bootloaders and good custom ROM support. But surely you knew that, right? How couldn't you, with the greatest form of argumentation - smug anime girl?
forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-p2
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5

Attached: aa.jpg (777x656, 66K)

the botnet is in the cpu itself, rom doesn't matter

>the botnet is in the cpu itself, rom doesn't matter
How do you know? Also, what would be the alternative? Building your own? Surely that seems reasonable. Many Intel processors are not protected against exploits either.

not that user but FGO works on chink phones, you just have to make sure it's not rooted and usb debugging is off. It only stopped working once because devs fucked up, there were also some guys reporting it didn't work on their chinkphone but they probably got some shitty chinkphone that already came with root and malware. You will have no problems playing it on something like redmi note 4 or mi a1

Yeah, as long as in good condition, it's a good choice

Thanks breh

iPhone

Nobody uses it?

About to trade in my Axon 7 for a Nokia 8. Have to spend 40 extra Euro's but idc. It's 270 Euro's in total for SD835 as the axon was 230 last week when I bought it.

What to expect from Nokia 8?

>5.2' or bigger 16:9 display that gets reasonably bright
>3.5mm jack with a decent DAC, volume and no hissing
>microSD slot
>removable or at least high capacity battery
>android
what do i go for?

I'm thinking of buying an LG V10, v20 or a blackberry priv
Which is the better option?

iPhone X

>removable
You go for older devices - Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016), LG devices which will inevitably bootloop or underpowered current devices (Moto G5).
These and many similar devices is what you'd realistically want to consider.

Is Xiaomi worth buying? Up to $200

>Is Xiaomi worth buying?
If it has an unlockable bootloader and a good custom ROM support any brand is worth buying.

lost my nexus 6p the other day, thinking about getting a p10 plus. any suggestions?

Good phone (especially at that price), camera is meh but if you install gcam it gets better