Why do universities require you to take and pass "general education classes" that has nothing to do with your major?

why do universities require you to take and pass "general education classes" that has nothing to do with your major?
im the type of person who is highly proficient in a subject im interested in, but tune out on subjects i dont find interesting.
for example, im a 4th year comp sci. student who finished all of the courses relevant to the major.
faggot school wont give me my diploma until i take one "diversity" class and few quarters worth of "visual arts" classes and "additional writing" classes.
what the fuck? these fucking jews just want more tuition right?
i regret falling for the bachelors degree meme

Attached: 1524876202679.png (601x434, 352K)

It's the only way those shitty liberal arts programs can stay afloat.

The argument it that it would make you a more rounded person. I'm with you on non-major classes being trash for the most part.

I can understand why they'd require writing, because it relates to communication, and you'd be doing that to some degree in any job. Then again, it may be too much of a stretch if you have to waste more than one or two terms getting a grasp on writing skills.

Most core classes are dogshit and're a waste of your time.

>multicultural requirement

Attached: 1525502991500.jpg (250x205, 6K)

Then go to a trade school.

i knocked all of those out when i first started uni
>tfw past 2 years have been only math+cs classes
feels gud

Because knowing fucking anything about the world at large is hugely important to being a decent person. You aren't a fucking robot who exists solely to perform your job then jack off into a sock until you fall asleep then do it all again.

I do agree most of the gen.ed. requirements are really poorly done, though. It'd be really cool of universities would recognize that and go with a more free-form method of exposing students to the interesting shit they won't see in their major courses.

Things like writing and public speaking are useful classes, but yeah in general I agree. Hell at my shit school half the CS classes were also useless

because college is more of a business rather than education institution, and people taking those general classes is how they make their money.

Seriously. I’m going to school for mathematics (might change to CS) and while the major itself consists of 10 mathematics courses, the university will not allow me to graduate unless I also take 30 general education courses ranging from astronomy to women’s history and I am required by the university to take half of my math classes in the final year only.

Otherwise I’d just take the math courses and drop out with 75% of tuition saved, but no job will hire me without a degree in mathematics or CS if I want to join a startup

welcome to the jew

Because that's the foundation of Western society: the well-rounded liberal arts education system.
You learn art, history, and literature to give you additional tools of critical thought. Then you spend the rest of your time focusing more specifically on your major.

It’s such bullshit. I don’t know if building a portfolio would even matter if I don’t have a degree, even if the only difference between me without one and the next guy with one is that he took 30 classes completely unrelated to his skill.

>all these historically literate, close-minded university drones that regurgitate the fruit of their own “enlightenment” fresh from the crops of their professors are the bastions of critical thought our system produces.

Fuck that noise.

>faggot school wont give me my diploma until i take one "diversity" class
Japanese 101, ウェーアボーさん.
>and few quarters worth of "visual arts" classes
Computer Graphics 303
Game Development 420
>and "additional writing" classes.
History of Math 401
History of Science 402

>im a 4th year comp sci. student

I am so sorry.

Attached: 1375242018674.gif (948x543, 142K)

>go to community college
>chill while you basically repeat junior and senior year of high school
>go to uni and start working on a major
do you see any problem with this?

>unless I also take 30 general education courses

So? Pick interesting stuff and it might turn out useful.

Physics 1 & 2
Macroeconomics 201
Microeconomics 202
Econometric
Financial Engineering
History of Economics
20th Century History
Intro to Philosophy
Intro to Religious Studies

30 credits done.

30 credits is all the credits of math courses I need for my mathematics major. I need 90 credits of non-math before they give me the degree, or 30 average classes.

Maybe you could pad it out with learning a new language or two?

you need to be able to communicate clearly, therefore writing requirements.
you don't need nigger/spic appreciation classes but the college gets negative press if they don't force it
foreign language should be easy if you're competent in a programming language, plus is a decent conversation starter
visual arts probably aren't necessary but rich donors love the student art galleries that lets them get cheap wall decorations

6 semesters of 5 classes each, so 3 years of classes outside your major?
fuckin' lol dude, your college sucks pick a better one next time

You’d think, but they limit how many non-major credits can be in each field. I can take 6 credits of language before anything further doesn’t count toward the requirement of total credits to graduate.

I’d have to major in a language (which is dumb without either a passion or a practical application for it that will fill the gap between study and fluency )to have those credits count

You got a link to your school's class list pdf or anything?

>90 credits of non-math before they give me the degree
if you don't mind, could you mention this university?
sounds awfully like a diploma mill. i can't see a reputable university requiring less than half your credits to be related to your major

I agree with you on the diversity calls 100%.
Arts I mostly agree with you because it can be useful to a degree depending on what it is like. Art class for design directed towards cs and ece majors could be good but there are a lot of useless ones too.
Writing I also sort of disagree because knowing how to write a good technical paper is important but anything above that is retarded.

Kek this

>tfw had to take a sexual harassment class before the semester started
>forced to sign a document that essentially says im a man and thus a rapist
>woman dont need to take it

Attached: 1427034399819.jpg (1002x583, 202K)

My school simply had an online quiz with 5 questions for sexual harassment.

What university is this.

It's a free country. I really don't care if you go home and masturbate into a dock. That's your choice

Presumably you do care if I'm a giant shitlord at work or not. These general education requirements are, in part, designed to try to teach a person how to not be a garbage fire. That they're largely a failure at that isn't really an indictment of the *intent* behind them, more the implementation.

>designed to try to teach a person how to not be a garbage fire
not him, but no, that's the job of the person's parents and primary schooling.

SDSU a few years ago, which is funny because its a party school

>65819572
literally this. they need warm bodies to fill the 101-level classrooms for $

OK fine, rather than "garbage fire" how about "to give a (brief and incomplete) survey of the state of what we think we've discovered about being human so far in the hopes that the student will think a little bit about that." AND TO REITERATE I DO THINK THESE GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FAIL TO ACHIEVE THIS GOAL SO DON'T FUCKING COME AT ME WITH "lol but they don't"

UT Knox, I’ll try finding the document after dinner.
Mississippi state was better but I can’t afford it. Same with Duke which I couldn’t afford even with a partial scholarship.

>and while the major itself consists of 10 mathematics courses

Any math major worth its salt requires at least
>Calculus 1-2
>Vector Calculus
>Matrix Algebra
>Ordinary Differential Equations
>Proofs / Transition to Advanced Math / Discrete Math
>Linear Algebra
>Abstract Algebra 1-2
>Real Analysis 1-2
>Complex Analysis
>Point-set Topology
>Partial Differential Equations
+ a couple of math electives

this
>art requirement
>foreign language requirement

So you need courses from 15 different departments?

I’ll have to see if I still have the guidebook since I fucked off and am looking to go somewhere else at the moment. It wasn’t 15 different departments literally (at least I don’t think so) but there were mandatory minimums for a good few irrelevant departments.

Mine doesn't. Is this a non-stem issue or an American issue

American issue.

God bless the land of forced ideology

Here in the Netherlands 11 year old kids go to different schools depending on how well they do. If you do badly in two subjects, you get dropped to a lower level.
If you want to reach university you have to be good at literally everything, as you'll be put on a middle/high school that goes all out on you in all fields.

I was bad at German and French, so I was basically deemed unfit for university and had to take a very long route. Your lucky you don't have to.

Universities are not vocational schools, they're for the intellectual elite.

I had to do an hour and a half long online module on “gendered violence”.

If we didn’t do this we’d be punished by the dean. New this year.

Big wew

This is only true to America since they don't get any education during high school. In other places unis just teach you stuff that is absolutely required to your profession.

They do it so you won't turn out like the sperg you clearly are. They failed.