Combat robots are tech, right? What are your favorite bots?

Combat robots are tech, right? What are your favorite bots?

Do you prefer Robot Wars or Battlebots?

Attached: Hazard_3.0.png (580x387, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4ofH34HezHE&t=2s
youtu.be/NA4e1Hj8gMw?t=124
youtu.be/fB9dlhDzuLE?t=2115
youtube.com/watch?v=VDmpxLXpAFo
youtube.com/watch?v=J-xQuS92N1g
instagram.com/p/BiagCWVgcBW
youtube.com/watch?v=LxeWvw3AwUA
battlebots.com/robot/double-jeopardy-2018/
youtube.com/watch?v=79mJV12TsyA
youtube.com/watch?v=T2gSdOmm_UU
youtube.com/watch?v=BymOPWL7FS4
youtube.com/watch?v=IWB5ge8Iw0k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hypno-Disc will fuck your day up senpai

Attached: hypno disc.jpg (310x162, 7K)

I think Bumblebee is the coolest one

Attached: file.png (220x241, 106K)

Attached: Biohazard_sfb01.jpg (580x387, 40K)

Remember those magazines that would come out with new parts included each month and you'd be able to build your own robots up more and more each month? The greatest battle bot IMO was that one that had that razor arm that came down and it's body was the shape of a ramp.
Did any robots ever destroy the huge bots that were a part of the arena?

Attached: tumblr_mym8jmRrJO1qzqnxxo1_500.gif (500x280, 1021K)

I think chaos 2 managed to flip one of them over and hypnodisc absolutely trashed another

Attached: mad-cat-big.jpg (541x657, 68K)

FOR FUCK'S SAKE WHY DID EVERYONE TRY TO FILM THEIR SHOWS ALL AT THE SAME TIME? Now literally all of them are missing big names because of it, Robogames was already a disappointment when so many people were missing already.

Spin Doctor goat

>Mad cat

the niggerMech, firing LRM all the day and running like a chicken

>mfw light gauss to missile racks

Attached: 1523667269762.jpg (945x674, 53K)

I wasn't the only one here that watched KoB it seems.

I think that's razer

>roomba with a spinny blade or a spike on a hinge
>that's apparently considered a combat robot

Attached: 1523372373067.jpg (1002x857, 69K)

>tfw Nightmare isn't going to be in BB2018

I wish more classic bots would show up. I guess it makes some sense because of how the metagame has changed over time, but it still doesn't feel good.

Nightmare is my favourite
It might not win often but the match is guaranteed to be entertaining

Who's gonna nut this year?

Attached: DccjXPRUQAMjsp4[1].jpg (864x486, 74K)

youtube.com/watch?v=4ofH34HezHE&t=2s

>tfw watched the show in 2002
>2018 now
>tfw the glorified RC cars are still the same garbage they were back then with little to no added variety
>the most creative ones are going to lose to some retard-tier cube with a slope on it
how this show gets funding is beyond me

I always liked Razer but it never achieved it's full potential.

Attached: Razer_2016.jpg (696x470, 200K)

Wedgebots are pretty much gone from the current meta though. It's more about who can make the hardest-hitting spinner now, which at least results in more exciting matches.

Razer see Also Chaos 2 was always flipping the house robots, it's party piece was flipping robots clean out of the arena. It was the first to be powerful enough to manage that iirc.

Attached: Chaos_2.jpg (600x407, 47K)

youtu.be/NA4e1Hj8gMw?t=124

Blame BB. They were the last ones to confirm its show, but wanted to film immediately, and it ended up clashing with every other show and event.
>Nightmare didn't enter
>Beta didn't enter
>Stinger didn't enter
>And so on
At least I ain't even mad about losing Beta, because Spectre is an absolute blast to watch.

It's not meta, it's that BB doesn't allow bots without weapons. I'm sure that is a placeholder for the mysterious 56th bot.

Also the rule changes in the last season were heavily favoring spinners. No surprise everyone and their mothers switched to spinners when it pretty much guaranteed you 3 out of 5 points on every match already.

Why doesn't someone make a super soaker robot and just splash all the others

What name is Spectre competing under?

It isn't, it's still competing in China. It's just that Beta and Spectre are built by the same team (RoboChallenge), and they aren't large enough to split between the 2 events, so if they are filmed at the same time you can only have one or the other.

Attached: Spectre_KoB.jpg (640x480, 31K)

What's the point of house robots? Always seemed dumb

They are supposed to be the ultimate supper strong robots to keep the contestants in line and finish them off if they're mortally wounded.
They have a huge budget and aren't subject to the same rules as the competing robots, e.g. Sgt Bash's flamethrower.

i remember this one got f-d up pretty bad!
i think the wheels went out, or , no, didn't the other one set down a box, and it had a net inside it?

I loved that show, it was nerdy/glamorous

youtu.be/fB9dlhDzuLE?t=2115

the way i saw it
success=
1. protected wheels
2. ability to shove into hammer and arena side saws.
3. ability to flip itself upright, or function upside down.

>mfw Duck!
Well it already proved it can stand up to Tombstone.
youtube.com/watch?v=VDmpxLXpAFo

oh that's brutal
dang that thing's good.
they're good on the controls.

i must be thinking of the japanese one with the cat ears on top

Yeah, I'm definitely excited to see how duck performs

Razer was badass.
Like the claw of a jew it pierced anyone who stood in its path.

youtube.com/watch?v=J-xQuS92N1g

that's good!

I WANT to see Free Shipping literally lift a bot and dump it out of the arena, but I'm not holding much hope. Unlike Duck/Whoops it lost a big part of what makes Original Sin so good.

Motherfuckers are not gonna reveal who the last one is, are they?

Attached: ITS_STONE_COLD.png (864x486, 449K)

Its lifter is faster than I thought it'd be, but the best part of it is the ridiculousness of having what is basically just a miniature forklift competing in battlebots

Attached: 1.webm (800x450, 2.38M)

That's quite fast yes, and I hadn't noticed the back wedgelets before. Still won't do him any good though, if Gary has to resort to ramming opponents into the wall after eventually losing the lifter, he can definitely do it, but he'll score negative points in Aggression for not using the active weapon. Seriously, fuck Battlebots' rules. Oh well, let the man have his fun I guess.

It'll probably be slower under load.

I'm probably going to be the only one posting on /tv/ when it airs, aren't I?

And probably tip forward the moment it starts lifting a bot the same weight as it.

To be fair I don't think Gary even plans on using the forks mid fight, it's pretty much another
>ok, so what can I strap onto my rambot to sneak it past the rules

I think Robot Wars has a fundamental problem of the most interesting bots being the least effective.
When my brother and I were young, we always rooted for the bot with the scorpion-style claw that would stab opponents and carry them to arena hazards. It always lost to the other bots because "hur dur I put a disk on my bot that spins real fast" and the competition became quickly dominated by that really bland design.
It's fair play, but the game is fundamentally less interesting for the clearly dominant (and bland) strategy of using no-skill, no creativity bots..
But yeah, I liked the one with the scorpion claw

I think the little wedgelets will help keep it from tipping, at the expense of making it harder to move

I feel like arena hazards make it worse.

Depends. On a Battlebots styled show, which is all about immobilizing your opponent, yes. Robot Wars on the other hand put some more emphasys in control, as in the driver takes a lot more of the spotlight, and some of the hazards put some more focus in that.

I really hope Tantrum does well. It seems to be the first properly designed spring loaded flipper.
It also seems to pack quite a punch.

Video of them testing their flipper:
instagram.com/p/BiagCWVgcBW

Simplified version of their retraction mechanism:
youtube.com/watch?v=LxeWvw3AwUA

Robot Wars has too much hazards in my opinion. Battlebots and King of Bots did it better.

The pits make sense, but house robots are too far.

Something about it gives me the feeling that it'll lose in a dumb way and never get a proper chance to shine.

Rules about no flying, no projectiles, etc. make sure it always becomes a battle of simple machines.

>no projectiles
battlebots.com/robot/double-jeopardy-2018/

And there are drones, but they're always shitty and pointless. How would one design a 250 pound flying robot that could still fit in the box and be effective?

youtube.com/watch?v=79mJV12TsyA

Probably, yea.
Though, with the new format, it will have multiple fights, no matter if it failed spectacularly in one of them.

Also, have you had your daily dose of freedom yet?

Attached: cap_shredd-1140x602[1].jpg (1140x602, 67K)

Have you?

But seriously, Cpt Shrederator looks so much better this time around.

Attached: mlf15ento3w01[1].jpg (1536x2150, 224K)

For the same reason you don't just put spikes into your boxing gloves.

It's pretty much a patriotic megabyte now.

Attached: 1523556968767.gif (240x240, 274K)

Nah, it's flatter, wider, and megabyte isn't totally fucked if it lands upside down

Electric Boogaloo was the bot I was the most disappointed for pulling out of this year's Robogames. Last Rites as well to a point, but gave me a lot to consider. Ray said he brought Swamp Thing to Robogames because he couldn't rebuild Last Rites in time, possibly because Tombstone had to cannibalize it for parts. That in turn possibly means Tombstone had to go through some hefty repairs at some point, and I think I know what fight caused it based on a leaked photo someone put online.

What fight? Post the pic

Not gonna spoil it. The photo was before they clashed, they were both still in one piece. All I'm saying is it's a grudge match more than 10 years in the making, from a superheavyweight match that at the time Tombstone lost. It should be one hell of a clash, that's for sure.

Well where'd you get the leak?

inner sphere fuks gonna die

LockJaw?

He probably means the official teaser photos of Tombstone vs. a certain drum spinner and another one of Tombstone vs a certain shell spinner.

>REEEEEEEEE
ditt
Both horizontal spinners, not necessarily both bars

Pretty sure Tombstone v Minotaur is in the first episode, and gigabyte is in the trailer.

youtube.com/watch?v=T2gSdOmm_UU
?

>Tombstone v Minotaur
Main event likely. Speaking of which wasn't there a fight card of one of the days leaked out? If I'm not mistaken it had Icewave vs. Yeti as the main event.

This so much. The aesthetic was so cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=BymOPWL7FS4

Skip to 2:20

Why didn't they call the fight as soon as Tombstone's wheel came off?

youtube.com/watch?v=IWB5ge8Iw0k

Heh, didn't know this was a thing. I knew already they live in the same town, but not that they actually had a pushing bout.
Not seeing Monsoon do much honestly, after seeing how easily it was pushed by a 15 year old bot.

Tauron 2 and Monsoon don't necessarily have the same drive train, do they?

I'm not seeing it change too much honestly, if the chassis is the same. Depends on how much available space it has to fit a larger and/or more complex drive train. That is assuming the problem isn't due to the chassis design itself.

Tombstone still showed some degree of mobility. I also don't agree that spinning in place should count as movement, but each tournament has its own rules on this.

>fucking Battle Royale with Cheese

Attached: Battle-Royale-With-Cheese.jpg (1140x760, 120K)

>inb4 it advances to the semifinals
But seriously, it's such a godawful memebot, how can you not love it?

Yeah I hated the house robots too. The two robots battling should be the most powerful.

Who said I don't?

Sorry, that was a generic you

It won't. The bacon spinner is mounted way too high up to even hit some of the bots.

Child

Attached: vintagedoomba.jpg (1200x900, 351K)

What is Cheese even supposed to do? Is it just a mini-pushbot without a wedge?

u talkin shit m8?

Attached: (JPEG Image, 265 × 190 pixels).jpg (265x190, 5K)

memes

But seriously, it possibly did something, since Battlebots said they'll change the rules so in the next season the minibots must also have active weapons.

That is nigger vacuum.

I haven't watched battlebots in years, but from my knowledge of other sports, people bend the rules a lot. Do people ever make "active weapons" that really are just wedges in practice? Kind of like "accidental headbutts" in MMA and boxing

It's more of a plow, but you have Duck! this season. They essentially took Whoops! and fitted an electric lifter to the plow.
In any case, the biggest problem with this is the scoring. Battlebots' production doesn't want wedges winning, so in season 2 they released the controversial rule where attacks NOT using the active weapon (eg. ramming instead of lifting) scored negative points towards the Aggression stat. Since at that point Aggression was worth 2 points out of 5, if you lost the active weapon you might as well just tap out. A famous battle for that bullshit was Chomp vs. Disk'o'Inferno.
This is why everyone switched to spinners that season. As long as the weapon is running, all you need to do is ram the opponent to score points.

Too bad that it forces people into a repetitive situation. I would probably still go with something somehow considered active that was still effectively a wedge.

One of those wedge + recessed spinners like 2018's Brutus or Bombshell or Parallax? Or a lifting wedge like Vanquish?

You still can. Sandstorm in King of Bots is doing it very well (same guy that did Pulsar and Magnetar for Robot Wars). It is technically a lifter, but it just pushes around and rams all bots in the same vein Storm 2 did back then.

Attached: Sandstorm.jpg (1000x563, 115K)

Is that hamburger Billy Mitchell?

Attached: 2018-04-16-image-27.jpg (1680x945, 91K)

I am just armchair guessing based on my knowledge of battle bots/robot wars from a decade ago, and my general assumption that in competitions you should try to specifically do what is banned if you can get away with it.

And it doesn't lose aggression points because it's using the "active weapon", correct?

It's King of Bots, not Battlebots, rules aren't the same. But yes, it would work. Sandstorm is a front hinge lifter, just before hitting the wall it lifts up so it's the opponent that goes face first into the spikes. Would post a webm, but I'm on the phone now.

Has anybody ever tried to make a giant mousetrap that snaps shut after it slides something very flat under the other robot?

Yes there was literally a bot named Mousetrap back in the day.