Using a development board as a desktop

What are good development board that can be used as a deskop running Linux ?
Something not as expensive as a PC, but more beefy than a latest raspberry Pi, it should be able to handle web browsing, watching movies and programming

Attached: orangepii1.jpg (724x480, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

up-shop.org/4-up-boards
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Odroid XU4

Figures also the beefier OrangePi, Espressobin and so on.

BTW at some level you might still want to just get a low end ryzen or onboard pentium or whatever to run Linux for your web-browsing-while-programming needs.

They still are dirt cheap, unlike your time.

Okay, I'll take a look at the Odroid XU4, do you know if it runs great on Linux ?
I was originaly planning on buying an OrangePi but I've heard that there's a lot of drivers issues and stuff like that

Is there any reason why you can't use a used PC?

No, but a lot of things seemed quite convenient with development boards.
They're small, quiet, cheap and the hardware will be new so I know that it wont die on me in a month.
The other downside in buying an old computer is that I'll have to buy a wifi dongle because there's no ethernet connection available in my dorm

What about getting a chromebook and installing linux on it?
They're cheap, have wifi, and if all you're doing is browsing and coding they have enough power. Also 8 hours of battery isn't bad.

Samsung Artic SoCs
theyre basically your average 2016 smartphone processors (with full-hd graphics unit), 4 or 8 core, packaged with everything you expect from a smartphone except cellular RF. you could even run windows CE or whatever their ARM version is called.

Udoo X86 my man
I've been demoing at it game dev cons and fucking with people by working on their saggy stomachs.
Its hilarious, I've actual made mobile computing.

Unironically buy a Raspberry Pi if you want ARM, or a used Mac Mini if you want PowerPC or Intel. The Intel Mac Minis have 2GHz Core2 models that are pretty cheap, and the PowerPC ones are 32-bit and up to 1.6Ghz I think. Intel will allow 4GB of RAM, and PowerPC might allow the same, but probably 2-3GB. I'm not sure.

Seriously OP, go look into used PowerPC based Macs. They were pretty solid and Debian or OpenBSD can breathe new life into them. Just pop in an SSD and repaste them.

Thank you user, this board seems quite powerfull and well fited for my needs!

if you install linux on a cromebook, are you really installing linux as an os? Or are you installing it as an app running on android or whatever?

is it good for running win 10?

If you install linux, you install linux. You wipe chrome OS off and install debian, ubuntu or something.

What are you even asking??

Attached: Derp.jpg (269x260, 44K)

yes that's exactly what I was asking. I saw something on youtube. It gave me the impression that you weren't really getting rid of android.

XU4 is beefy af. You may even get away with a C2, OP.
Orangepi's are known to overheat, even going as far as disabling a core to keep temps under control. And yeah, there used to be driver issues with the Mali GPU. Not sure if that's still the case

Yep. It works really well with 12 volt batteries to make it truly portable.
get a cheapy screen off ebay and make a great tablet or even like me, a wearable.

>A better future, underground
>Buy your spot in a vault today.

Raspberry pi is more than enough for all 3.

Crouton basically installs a Linux environment inside the chrome OS, not as a replacement.

I think the UP boards are pretty dope. I used one at work (can't remember which model) which ran ubuntu and I was very impressed.

up-shop.org/4-up-boards

I has to use my PI for surfing the web once. It was awful. (Though it's possible I just fucked up the graphics drivers)

Speaking of graphics, can any of these do discete graphics?
I find the intel integrated choke easily and would like to add a card in.

just buy a mini itx board with some shit like N3150 soldered.

You can also get a NUC.

They have VESA mounts. Is like a DIY all in one.

This. A NUC or similar competitor has modern hardware, WiFi, and is super compact. Plus they actually look good.

You just have to get storage and low voltage RAM.