Ubuntu>debian(on desktop)

ubuntu
>just works out of the box
>large variety of software,including popular software
>corporate backing
>extensive hardware support
>you can add ppas if you want software that is not in the repository
>reasonably up to date software
>large user base,meaning there are many documentation,tutorials,forum posts,articles concerning ubuntu

meanwhile,debian
>need extra configuration after install
>large software collection(but still smaller than ubuntu)
>development and testing are done by volunteers
>supports less hardware because of philosophy
>you have to compile from source if you want software that is not in the repo
>you have to use testing/unstable branch and/or use backports/pinning/mixing ubuntu packages/ppas oif you want more up to date software

prove me wrong

Attached: debian<ubuntu.png (960x480, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions?wprov=sfla1
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just use the OS you like

But isn't Ubuntu just Debian with extra packages?

i am not living in third world shithole known as united states of america
thanks

So half the population wanted president A, but you wanted president B, therefore the half that voted for A are less worthy in your opinion?

You know, rural folks deserve to be listened to as well. They are humans too.

Both were terrible options and I am in fact happy that you voted that clown for president. It will accelerate your demise.

aaand that is how to turn a technology discussion thread to US politics discussion thread

ubuntu
>söy

debian
>red meat

>red meat
you eat fresh red meat or processed red meat?
processed ones are bad for health

>prove me wrong
Debian defaults to oss drivers.
You need to add contrib and non-free repos and install your non-free μcode.
After that it's like ubuntu without the bloat and the de/dm/wm limitations.

No.
Ubuntu is debian with less packages and proprietary drivers by default.

Your retarted.

I like TempleOS, but obviously, i can't use it to browse Jow Forums

>Ubuntu is debian with less packages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions?wprov=sfla1

Ubungu is just debian except that encourages non-free software and install proprietary drivers by default and bundles buttnet that spouts GNOME scat all over the place.
If you want everything to 'just werk' out of the box, you are not welcome in the *nix world.

>b-b-b-buttnet!!!!!!1!!1!!!!11!!!!1
get a real argument next time
>If you want everything to 'just werk' out of the box, you are not welcome in the *nix world
yeah because that way you cannot feel superior to the others anymore
>t. edgy school shooter

Go back to mint, proprietary slave.

What is this retarded new squirrel and why did they decide to get rid of a logo that was simple and aesthetically pleasing?

i just found this image from google
>retarded new squirrel
probably the animal in the codename of some ubuntu version

ubuntu
>botnet
>apt shits itself each update
>still can't install broadcom drivers during install
debian
>difficult to install
>no drivers, difficult to install from deb, due to retarded dependencies
>old crapware
Fedora
>doesn't shit itself
>new software
>rpm
>drivers are not included, but easy to install from rpm or repo.
>SELinux is enabled by default
OpenSUSE
>rolling or stable
>fresh software
>rpm
>drivers are available from packman and can be installed as rpm with no problems
>german quality, rollbacks and shit.
>Apparmor
>KDE just works

>t. red hat and suse

Ubuntu is only good for Intel tablets and laptops really, due to all of the power management tweaks that are finally providing battery life better than Windows on all of my devices. The downside is that it's extremely bloated and won't run well on anything less than a 2.5GHz dual core, 6GB of RAM, and a SATA3 SSD. Debian on the other hand is perfect for toasters and has good PowerPC support for old Macs, and you can get WindowMaker for a super light desktop. Debian is also decent for servers, but OpenBSD really beats it in stability and security. OpenBSD is good for basic file, backup, and email servers. Debian is good for setting up VMs and other things due to the amazing QEMU support. For embedded devices I'd go for NetBSD or TinyCore.

Easiest way to add non-free drivers on Debian is to add them at the time of installation. Easiest way to do that is to download the net install or other ISO and write it to a USB flash drive. Then go to the non-free unofficial ISO page and download the firmware zip archive. Extract the files and drag and drop them into the firmware directory on the flash drive. When you boot from the flash drive the installer will automatically detect and use any non-free drivers you might need. You don't have to do anything extra with the installer or locate the files. It's all automated and done behind the scenes for you. This way you won't have to fiddle with drivers post-install.

You should try the Budgie version.

Doesn't OpenSUSE also have an official patched version of Firefox which fixes the stupid file picker thumbnail issue by allowing it to call the native KDE file picker? I've been putting off trying OpenSUSE KDE for a long time, but that sounds nice. On Debian based distros I use the unofficial patches.

Attached: 8809f2d15982b5489bd.png (741x609, 18K)

You hear this a lot: "A thread died for this." While accurate, this phrase generally carries no weight. But just this once, if you would do me a favor and hear me out, it would do all of us a lot of good.

A. Thread. Died. For this. You woke up this morning, poured yourself a bowl of Faggot Flakes, moistened them with your impotent Faggot prostate milk (which IS in fact impotent, because you're a fucking faggot) and, within seconds, decided that today of all days would be the time you decide to cut your synapse firing quota by just a little too much.

So you hopped online, carved out this uninspired chicken scratch, probably failed the captcha once for every strand of peach fuzz on your half-empty sack, and clicked Submit.

At that moment, a thread died. A thread that could have been bumped. A thread that could have been resurrected with content, or valuable discourse between its denizens. Hell, it could've even been bumped for absolutely no reason. And that would've been okay. Because, had it survived, a few more seconds could have been spent without having had your abortion of a post been born in this world.

>Easiest way to add non-free drivers on Debian is to add them at the time of installation. Easiest way to do that is to download the net install or other ISO and write it to a USB flash drive. Then go to the non-free unofficial ISO page and download the firmware zip archive. Extract the files and drag and drop them into the firmware directory on the flash drive.
That's not the easiest way. Easiest way is to create a bootable USB from the nonfree ISO itself. It requires zero extra steps. This also proves that OP is a stupid faggot.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/