/fglt/ - friendly GNU/Linux thread

old: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: tad_003_libremon.jpg (800x636, 246K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=g++-4.9
wiki.debian.org/WindowsDualBoot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Using a WM, what program do people use to control their brightness? xbacklight, redshift, etc

Good thread.

xbacklight is comfy

g++-4.9 is only available in xenial
packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=g++-4.9

If you need that version you should create a development chroot using xenial or debian jessie.

What's the difference between CUPS and lpr? Can I just use lpr if I want something minimal?

How do I su into a user whose password I don't know. A program created a user on my system and the permissions are wrong and I can't debug it.

Good post.

More of a lurker here, so this might be wrong, but why can't you fix that as root?

Nvm when I do it as root I just get "this user is not currently available". Probably because the shell is set to nologin.

I have a service which says "directory x not accessible [permission denied]

However the directory x definitely has read access to all users.

I'm reading that ".bashrc" is always started non-interactively (and that it should be kept like this for safety reasons).
I thought aliases on ".bashrc" were not-interactive but functions on ".bashrc" were interactive.
Where do I put my functions that I wanna use with my scripts (therefore non-interactively) then??

Ok I've narrowed down the problem. The home directory of my user is not accessible to all users. But the files I want are. Is there any way to make some of my files accessible to all users without making my whole home directory readable?

No.
You should put that folder to outside somewhere and set appropriate permission on it, then you can create a symlink inside that home dir.

Okay, extremely stupid question here:

How do I use R? As in, the stats software. I know it's installed on my computer:

root@admin-PC:/home/user# apt-cache search "^r-.*" | sort
geki3 - R-Type-like horizontal shoot'em-up
r-base-core-dbg - GNU R debug symbols for statistical comp. language and environment
r-base-core - GNU R core of statistical computation and graphics system
r-base-dev - GNU R installation of auxiliary GNU R packages
r-base - GNU R statistical computation and graphics system
r-base-html - GNU R html docs for statistical computing system functions
r-bioc-affy - BioConductor methods for Affymetrix Oligonucleotide Arrays
r-bioc-affyio - BioConductor tools for parsing Affymetrix data files
r-bioc-altcdfenvs - BioConductor alternative CDF environments
r-bioc-annotationdbi - GNU R Annotation Database Interface for BioConductor
r-bioc-biobase - base functions for Bioconductor
// Carries on for a while, point is I've got a shitload of R packages installed

But how do I actually run it? From what I remember you used to just type "R" in the command line, but that's not working.

What's an appropriate place in the linux hierarchy to put media files?

Lower case r??

/srv is a good choice.

apt-get search lists all packages in the repo, not on your machine.
try

dpkg -l | grep r-base

if no output, you still need to install it.
(Alternitevly check if "apt search r-base" says installed behind it)
Yes it should be uppervase R, what happens if you try that?

>apt-get search lists all packages in the repo, not on your machine.

Whelp, that's what I get for blindly following instruction pages. Installed r-base and it's working perfectly now, ty user.

Ur cute.

n-no u

Please Jow Forums I need your help.
How come the line number 7 works but the line number 6 doesn't? (executing the script with one or the other commented, of course)
They should do the same thing.
That command opens a terminal with an instance of the emacsclient on it btw.
Thanks in advance...

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180506180828.png (424x236, 2K)

i'm not that good at bash but maybe "emc" is only defined as a bash function but "urxvt" looks for a program named that?

you could try this instead:
emc='emacsclient -nw -a ""'
urxvt -e $emc

This makes a lot of sense.
Instead of having a function I'll just have a string variable.
I don't know how I didn't thought of this. Thanks ma dude

So I haven't come to Jow Forums in quite a while. What's up with all the anti-gnu/foss/linux/etc... threads? It feels like walking into a propaganda factory.

Normies happened.

Attached: 1525444666673.jpg (1280x720, 358K)

Microsoft isn't hitting their profit margin

a huge portion of it is how fsf is kind of being shitheads about it spending more time on shouting at people for not putting their dumb G-names in front of everything even if it is a completely different project

but mainly corporate shilling

People say that downloading and installing packages is so much easier on linux than windows however if you don't have the program in your repo or know the name then you have go open a web browser and figure it out that way, a lot of the time is more difficult or time consuming than finding the .exe and hitting run.

Theres GOT to be a better way

>a lot of the time is more difficult or time consuming than finding the .exe and hitting run.
First of all, are you fucking joking?
And second of all
>if you don't have the program in your repo or know the name then you have go open a web browser and figure it out that way
are you fucking joking?

You're going to have to try harder than that windows shill.

If you don't have the program in your queriable repositories, docker or other options, it's exactly as "difficult" as finding a Windows installer, yes.

But this happens rarely, and in that normal case installing and updating software is just easier.

snaps/flatpaks/appimages were invented so fucking casuals like (You) who cannot use ppas/layman/AUR/similar 3rd party repos can have their """"""""""""""""apps"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" too.

AppImages are literally
1. download appimage
2. set it to executable
3. run it

People imagining they were born into the "right" choice and that everything else is too difficult.

Possibly corporate astroturfing.

/v/ hates what it can't understand.

I have a thinkpad x230, and i'm using manjaro is it normal that I can't run games like unturned ? I'm having like 20fps on a shit game

Can anyone help me find a partition scheme or a guide for dual booting?
I only find contradictory information on google.

how about this wiki.debian.org/WindowsDualBoot

If it's too confusing you can install linux on a USB stick and unplug it when you want windows.

Does anyone actually use pidgin anymore? I only ever used it for AIM, MSN, and Google Talk, and none of those exist anymore. (yeah, google talk became hangouts, but you can't use that with pidgin)

Is /media only for removable drives? Where should I mount extra internal hard drives?

Im using ubuntu mate, but i dont know if i should be using majaro or mint.
There is any less botnet in mint?
Manjaro is stable enough?
Or buntu mate is ok?
I dont want gentoo or arch, i need something oob

it's just a recommendation. You can mount anything to fucking anywhere. Well, ALMOST everywhere you probably don't want to mount your USB drives to /proc.

I for one use /media for removable drives and /mnt/ for local nonremovable.

manjaro is a fucking meme
mint is ubuntu with added cancer
ubuntu mate is fine, keep using it if you like it.

>try to install alpine linux on a raspberry 3
>no wlan0 interface
>driver fucks something up on load
>search on the internet all day
>there's a few results with the probably the same problem I have, as far as I can tell from the link on google
>it's the alpine linux forum
>it doesn't exist anymore
>"uh so sorry but it's gone, here try reddit instead"

Which fucking asswipe decided it's a good idea to 404 the whole damn forum full of helpful questions and answers, just to link the generic linux reddit or their irc, jesus christ I hope someone shoves the old forum server up their butt I hate these people

use debian instead because then you get the problem of multiple years of conflicting (but valid for that time period) information

How do I get KDE installed on the side the right way in Debian if I already have Cinnamon? Is it also possible to get the notorious file picker thumbnails to work in KDE without breaking the existing Cinnamon while doing it? The last time I tried this I ended up having a very unstable KDE that was practically unusable. I think it's because Cinnamon is GTK and KDE is Qt and my KDE was still using some GTK perhaps. I'd like to ease myself into KDE but it's not happening if it's buggy. Cinnamon never is.

>How do I get KDE installed on the side the right way in Debian if I already have Cinnamon?

apt-get install kde-core|kde-base|kde-full|task-kde-desktop

Then you can select which DE you want to use from your login manager. You can use kdm or whatever login manager cinnamon installed.

is mounting with 777 the only way to give write permissions to normal users? im dealing with a smb drive

What are groups for?

AppImages
Flatpak
Snaps
or just learn to compile :)

f2fs or ext4 for m.2 disk install?

Attached: 1525334746536.gif (540x304, 1.22M)

f2fs

What exactly is the difference? Why is this one so special? Supposedly it's better for flash, but all I've seen is benchmarks showing similar performance to ext4.

anyone with experience setting up a ftp server ?
I would like to give users access to a personal space (their home directory) + one shared directory
Is there a simple way to do that ?

whats the best way to counter another pyro? reserve shooter combo?

Is there a ubuntu bare bones version anymore? I just downloaded the server version and it comes with ubuntu advantage tools and possibly other weird crap I am going to have to find and kill.

Fedora or manjaro?
And is i3 worth learning?
I want to try something different
I've been on mint for the past few years

same question as yesterday night.
I have an OK desktop and tried emulating qemu to use as a sandbox so i can check if a torrent of MatLab i want to try is infested with a virus or not. The emulated machine worked fine but slowed down and stalled after 2 minutes post boot-up. What the fuck do i do? Is there another way to get files virus-free? All i want is matlab and i'm too poor to pay their butt-fucking fees so piracy is my only option.

Please help?

It's called net installer.

I don't have any issues, but I just wanted to share how satisfied I am after solving a problem I was having. After spending around 2-3 hours with no success, I ended up fixing the problem within 5 minutes of waking up the next day.

Attached: 1342723664349.jpg (300x338, 45K)

i'm trying linux for the first time. i had these DVD+rs around so i just burned linux mint to one of them. that will work right? i am tired of using windows.

i know this experience all too well.

i use virtualbox

Yeah. That will be fine

I need a good image viewer for Debian.
Currently using feh, but it doesn't support gif.

mpv

Starting with 18.04 ubuntu mate has the same telemetry that the standard gnome install does. Mint has none of this, although they do have their own problems regarding security. So I recommend any flavor of Ubuntu that isn't gnome or mate.

geeqie

nomacs

How do I change my desktop environment?

Attached: 1512775682702.gif (138x292, 55K)

Slow as shit compared to qemu.

reminder that arch users are the scum of linux community

Attached: Screenshot_20180507_005334.png (916x833, 113K)

pacman xfce4-meta

Attached: 1512775682702.gif (138x292, 51K)

Reminder that hating whole groups of people is Jow Forums tier.

Ubuntu is the workers OS,
Arch is the NEET's OS

what's a good, not bloated music player that has folder view? not clementine pls

mpv

mocp
ncmpcpp

Why does every GNU/Loonix enable "screen blanking" by default? Just let me control my own damn monitor.

The only people who bring up arch are people who couldnt install it and then raged against it, such as your self

>workers os
Having all your personal information being sent to amazon is what work machines are for? I wonder how many military secrets they know about

What is the best lightweight Linux distrobutions ?

Since version 4 has anyone else noticed constant traffic in qbittorrent that wasnt there before?
I've getting constant spikes upwards of 1megabit of traffic since the upgrade. Before i could leave it open with no torrents and no rss and it wouldnt have any traffic logged for hours.

By size, Alpine
By functionality, puppy linux.

If you're using the default Ubuntu with GNOME, then yes, you are a retard.

t. Arch User

Hanna Montana Linux

It's Gnome, not GNOME.

>t. started using GNOME in May 2018

so it is. Thanks.

Ok, so I made this
SSD
win 120gb
/ 120gb ext4
HDD
data fat32

Is this okay or am I missing anything?

Linux noob here, so I was trying and checking out the latest ubuntu release and decided to move some files over the local network from my laptop to my pc.
Unfortunately the power went out for some reason, hasn't happened in years,but now the files disappeared from both my laptop and the pc.

Now my question is, is there a way to find a log for the files that were lost during moving or to analize the traffic and see what was lost?

Attached: blurred-blurry-bokeh-220118.jpg (3840x2160, 424K)

well amazon is getting government contracts with aws no?
they know enough already

Btw, if they disappeared from both computers, where did the files go?
They should be somewhere unless overwritten right?

it seems unlikely that a reading operation would destroy files like that

Fat is archaic use ntfs if windows compatibility is necessary

How can I limit my internet bandwidth? I need to download stuff, but everyone complains the internet becomes unusable when I do. I tried trickle but it did nothing.

QoS

You can use the iproute2 package's command tc.

will drop something indisputable here, y'all ready

Ubuntus 16.04 lts is the greatest Linux distribution ever released in the history of Linux distribution releases

Boom!
*Drops mic*

How do i remove packages I don't use and not accidentally uninstall a dependency

Hello, im getting pretty desperate here, i can't for some reason put debianton my usb using rufus, everytime it give me this message. been working that shit for hours now

Attached: Capture.png (1227x608, 183K)