Linux is garbage for desktop

The whole Linux scene is such a shitshow for anyone who wants some kind of Windows replacement. I've used Linux for several years before realizing how much time it wastes and stress it causes.

No distro is able to fit 3 parameters.
>Stable, fast, and not-shit-design. >Ubuntu just got slower and uglier. >Elementuary OS is unstable and slow.
There's almost no reason to use Linux from day to day.

On Windows I have a sensible and polished OS that works and looks nice out of the box. It's not as fast as it could be but does the job. With Linux this doesn't exist. If your distro works it probably looks like shit from 10 years ago. Fanboys will argue that it's your job to spend hours customizing it to something not ugly. With Windows I get UI designed by people who have even the smallest sense of style.

If you have a problem with a distro it's your fault for not knowing everything. It works on myachine so that means it should work on yours automatically and you're doing things wrong.

If the community focused on one distro we could have something in par with Windows. But nothing can compete because the casual user isn't in mind. It's made for people who want to spend hours tinkering with broken parts that keep breaking.

It's funny how a lot of people just argue Windows sucks and Linux gives privacy. I'm practically trading my computer for a toy using Linux. If privacy even is that real on Linux, it's the only asset it has. It can't compete with Windows. I don't even have to argue that Windows has software and games against Linux because that would be murder by fucking words.

I just wanted variety in how my computer looks. I wanted Windows but with better performance and customizability. Instead I get half-assed distros that can hardly emulate Windows. The OS scene is such garbage since Windows 7 and it's pretty unbearable and disgusts me. I wish I kept my Linux knowledge to the bare minimum for server and project work. I've wasted so much time on this garbage.

Attached: penn.jpg (300x400, 31K)

Cool blog dude.

No shit, Sherlock

You see Linux is an operating system design by autists for autists, so are you really surprised why it's so shit

Pardon me for one moment. What you are calling Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I have nicknamed it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system by itself, but it is just another part of the GNU system, which has been extended in functionality via various GNU components (including GNU's shell utilities and corelibs) which only then fit the definition of a complete operating system as outlined by POSIX.

There are many people today who are running the GNU operating system without even being aware of it. Through a strange turn of events, a misnomer has emerged where people refer to a widely used version of the GNU system as "Linux", unaware that the proper name for the system they run is the GNU operating system.

Now while they are in fact using Linux, it is only one component of the system that they run. Linux is used as the kernel: the part of an operating system which distributes a machine's resources to other programs which request them. While this functionality is essential for the successful functioning of a system, it cannot function on its own, it needs an operating system within which it can carry out its functions. Linux is commonly paired with the GNU operating system: the entirety of the system is GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every single "Linux Distribution" is actually a distribution of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1507677442876.jpg (500x375, 57K)

Retarded
try Manjaro, it's number one now

Attached: Manjaro.png (2390x768, 377K)

>Windows replacement
not my reason to use linux

OP... just read Major Linux Problems
on the Desktop, and don't bother with this board.

Jow Forums will never get it.

Linux is a kernel.

it's another "none of it matters arguments" episode

I know shercock, stop sucking cock

Oh, the site where Windows XP and 10 use the same drivers and applications? No thanks. The author have mental issues nonetheless.

Most Windows 95 applications work just fine on Windows 10, let alone XP ones. You're full of shit.

Drivers work fine since Vista, over a decade ago.

copypasta from reddit and unpaid microsoft shills took the bait

shit thread

>Drivers work fine since Vista, over a decade ago.
pretty much everyone blames drivers for the failure of vista

OP you obviously haven't tried [insert toy distro here]. It's the latest craze. It's been the least buggy and most polished distro for the last 3 months.

>Jow Forumspcmasterrace/comments/8hdyhc/linux_is_garbage_for_desktop/

>95 applications work just fine on Windows 10
Being this delusional. If it's "work just fine" why MS needs compatibility environment (that may work or not)?
Since the backward compatibility is shit, MS can sell paid support to idiots who realized the "work just fine" isn't that great.
The WDDM changed heavily since Vista, so it's still a hit and miss on 10 thanks to some spaghetti code that can be forked out any time from 10.

Attached: 1524762240418.png (814x806, 15K)

Are we reddit now?

Attached: b688517a4b8ac14961df83cc53a440b316f4a66c5f41b2a8a595bc5e5243394b.png (701x720, 357K)

You mean the default DE for Ubuntu is ugly.

Linux desktop is far more soi than Win7/10. It's fucking Unix-like.

ebin

Attached: pooinloo.png (808x233, 38K)

cancer from pcmasterrace get reposted here constantly, so... yeah

You hear this a lot: "A thread died for this." While accurate, this phrase generally carries no weight. But just this once, if you would do me a favor and hear me out, it would do all of us a lot of good.

A. Thread. Died. For this. You woke up this morning, poured yourself a bowl of Faggot Flakes, moistened them with your impotent Faggot prostate milk (which IS in fact impotent, because you're a fucking faggot) and, within seconds, decided that today of all days would be the time you decide to cut your synapse firing quota by just a little too much.

So you hopped online, carved out this uninspired chicken scratch, probably failed the captcha once for every strand of peach fuzz on your half-empty sack, and clicked Submit.

At that moment, a thread died. A thread that could have been bumped. A thread that could have been resurrected with content, or valuable discourse between its denizens. Hell, it could've even been bumped for absolutely no reason. And that would've been okay. Because, had it survived, a few more seconds could have been spent without having had your abortion of a post been born in this world.

Windows has powershell because of the unified API. Even BSD users know that their OS's are unified. Linux is just a spaghetti mess of shit.

>pretty much everyone blames drivers for the failure of vista
... because they changed between XP and Vista, going from NT 5 to 6. Hasn't occurred since then.

So stop comparing full systems with kernels.

The only question is if it just werks. Nobody but Microsoft and losers like you gives a shit how.

Are you even aware WDDM is only for graphics?

>Windows has powershell because of the unified API
More like because cmd was pure garbage and rather fixing it, they tried to make the bloated mess even worse. At least now they have man pages too. :^)

Don't you think opensuse qualifies?

Linux is pretty backwards compatible. Provided you have the correct libraries and environment set up, you can run pretty old linux binaries on modern distros.

The Linux don't have legions of salesman and hard to use it for money laundry. Think about it.

>The only question is if it just werks
it doesn't really werk

What if it's just werk? Will you apologize for your bs?

Linux is a fully operating system, not just kernel. Richard Stallman has zero contribution to anything other than creating Emacs (probably that retard commie didn't even program it). what you are reffering to as GNU/Linux is in fact just Linux, there is no GNU, there is only Linux - as its sole creator Linus Torvalds intended.

This, but unironically.
(Though Stallman did create the GPL virus, not that that's a constructive contribution obviously.)

This. If you have a problem which is on that site, you can only have a workaround for those issues, although it might got resolved since then ( unlikely ). While linux is not ready for normie desktop usage, the Jow Forumsentoomen can usually make it work as one.
t. the user who has started collecting workarounds for issues listed on that site

Richard stallman did gcc initially appoint other utilities still used today.

Every OS is shit. I won't deny that Linux on the desktop needs a lot of work but for basic home computing it's better than the spyware and Windows rot or the horrible security and lack of software on OS X, and it's a lot more user friendly and complete than BSD. Ubuntu is actually taking steps in the right direction and is extremely fast and power efficient on modern devices that have an SSD. If you want to use it on mechanical disks then install XFCE or MATE instead of Gnome.

Attached: 1475293208458.png (640x640, 12K)

disgusting fucking Jew. but I guess it has its place in a board full of inbred autists like Jow Forums

>The current state of wangblows

Attached: winbabbiesBTFO.webm (464x536, 420K)

I'm using Linux right now. It's not as good as Windows 7.

Linux generally just works. The vast majority of issues I've had with it are lack of software, but even that's barely an issue since a ton of the shit I use on Windows is multi-plaform
haven't had issues with sound in years
haven't had issues with wifi in years, barring this one machine I've got that's literally held together with duct-tape, so I dunno if that's Linux's fault (it's running Fedora)
would be really nice if there was something approaching a stable driver abi so that video performance didn't suck (I've got one machine that gets literally half the 3D performance under Linux)

It's rough, but it's not the complete pile of ass that is Windows 10. Windows Update is beyond terrible, and MS is releasing major, breaking changes all the time, negating even that advantage. All of the new, "modern" Metro-style programs are less responsive and have wildly differing UI conventions, also negating a traditional Windows advantage. It's a shitshow.

Hope you're trolling OP :/

Paid MS shill propaganda. Fucking buy your advertisements like everyone else.

>Stable, fast, and not-shit-design
Void Linux.

It's a pasta from reddit.

Wangblows utterly ANNIHILATED

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation. Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ. One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you? (An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Attached: 1503647025902.jpg (400x300, 25K)

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it. You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument. Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD? If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Attached: 1508458912468.jpg (770x578, 31K)

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag. Thanks for listening.

Attached: 1519477015934.jpg (498x474, 49K)

Oh no, a buggy animation! I'm sure Linux's quality control doesn't let any of THOSE slip through...

Fedora is stable, fast, and not-shit-design. Seriously, I couldn't load more than 3 tabs with Windows (and I'm not the one who put this out).

Literally everything you're saying is wrong. The sense of style of Windows is non-existent and I don't know why I'm even reading your post.

The Internet isn't a place to make friends. I could hardly discuss about pic related with the friends I have *now* (and hence I can't sleep), but trying to discuss with strangers with no AFK power is a social candy, not the food you consume to live.

Attached: 1494357118576.png (1000x1024, 668K)

pic related is my answer, what's your opinion?

Attached: 1510872661799.png (714x299, 10K)

It's Ganooo plus linocks

Linocks is a kernel

Faggot

Attached: 1523224575968.jpg (400x427, 74K)

kys microdicks pajeet

Attached: FeelsBatonMan.png (112x112, 22K)

Pshht, get smart frogposter

this.

wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

>I can't find a perfect Linux distro
>I want Windows on Linux
>welp I guess it's back to Windows, which I know isn't perfect either, but memes
>picrelated is a shill

nice bait