GOING 100% USB-C

How are you surviving in the USB-C era?
What percentage of your devices have been converted to USB-C?
Which items are you still hoping to convert?

Attached: usb-c.png (810x456, 401K)

is there a bigger meme?

Fine. Zero. Zero.

I have seen and owned absolutely nothing that uses USB-C.

my phone has one. hope i never have anything else with the dongle central port. only makes sence to me for a phone or a thunderbolt 3 port.

lol

Just my phone, nothing else.

My phone is USB type-c, that's about it

What's there to survive? You use one cable for one type of port and other cable for the other.
Jesus youngsters these days are spoiled, if they knew what proprietary Hell was.

It's not magic.

biggest problem with going all usb-c is other people that havent gone usb-c

I don't have anything with type-C

Fine
1 1/2 (switch kek)
It's whatever

I'm yet to see a USB-C cable or device with my own eyes

you must never leave the house

This. I’m on standard usb for most everthing and 1 iphone with the asinine admittedly asinine lightning port (tho it was better than microusb when introduced) .

One day, I'd like every single cable to be like USB-C. Imagine misplacing your laptop charger, and using your fucking blender cable.

I have a USB-C/USB-A flash drive, a USB-C to C cable for my phone, and my laptop charger is USB-C. All my desktop peripherals are USB-A and will be for some time since manufacturers aren't switching and motherboards only include 1 port usually. Although I could switch my keyboard and printer over at any time since the cables are removable.

Really isn't difficult at all, don't really understand all the "muh dongle" fearmongering.

Attached: 1520123079223.png (800x900, 646K)

The problem with type-c is the definition of the name.
You see, when you ask for an USB, you have in mind an USB, then you add the -c to shape it accorindlgy.

We have to wait USBv4

my chinkpad is too old to into usb c.
might go laptop only and get a new one to get that usb c goodness now that my phone, keyboard, etc. has it too

how is it a meme senpai its just the new standard. its better than micro USB just like micro is better than mini USB. Its more durable and can transfer way more data calling it a meme is the same as calling data a meme compared to ide

>How are you surviving in the USB-C era?
Fine
>What percentage of your devices have been converted to USB-C?
None
>Which items are you still hoping to convert
None

But my next will have USB-C so I can get a Focusrite 2Pre.

This

Attached: grab021155.png (640x480, 435K)

spbp

Amen

i have a usb-c to usb 2 converter so i can plug in another usb in my computer.

/thread
sage in all fields

I don't even have a single USB 3.0 port at the moment, just a single zip disquette with it.
I've never had a need to use anything with usb type c, but it should be superior to micro usb, and I don't think it should cause much trouble for me.

Literally only my phone has USB-C

???
USB versions just refer to the data transfer specification. The type refers to the connector.
So by "waiting for USBv4" you would just probably get faster speeds. You will still have USBv4 type-C or USBv4 type-A or whatever.

Attached: 1516781648061.jpg (640x640, 42K)

Fine.
1/7 (nintendo switch) or about 14%-15% if you demand a percentage.
None but my phone when I next upgrade once the OS is no longer supported. (Android 7.1 Galaxy s6)

Sage and report obvious shill threads.

Just got a USB c gigabit ethernet adapter for my laptop.
Its cute and compact and no more flip-fuckery. Hell even my phone supports us c so I can have ethernet plugged into my phone too. I for one welcome the usbc era

this post made me realize i've seen it only pics too

how hard is it to use a USB port is spending 1 second to turn the plug around maybe 30% of the time such a bother too you?

I'm okay. Pretty much everything I have is micro USB. RIP mini USB. I have no USB-C devices yet. Whatever phone I get next might have it.

>%30
isnt it statistically %50

What is even wrong with USB C? Why does Jow Forums hate it

They could just not support type-A anymore with USB4. Outside of legacy devices it doesn't have any reason to exist.

None, only things I have that are USB-C are the dongles for my shitty macbook pro for my work

>Which items are you still hoping to convert?
none

My last 2 phones and absolutely nothing else. No one ever has a charger I can use.

>Outside of legacy devices it doesn't have any reason to exist.
kek, USB type A will exist for a long fucking time, expect it to be around another 7 to 10 years.

Like D-SUB VGA it will refuse to go away.

because its new and useful

Attached: @N-O_-_HIDEandSEEKwithBOOBS_11-925364328169070593.webm (1280x720, 1.79M)

Never saw USB C in real life.
Seriously.

One, my phone. And it's a real bitch trying to find charging cables, I have to carry a C-microUSB dongle with me always

>universal serial bus
>universal

are you poor?

Because Apple supports it, that's literally it. Apple does something good for once(drops proprietary charging port, drops jew HDMI, drops inferior USB-A) for a better port future and Jow Forums shits all over them because they can't connect their gaymen peripherals or TV without a small hub. Shockingly as soon as Dell does the same thing you suddenly see a lot less threads bitching about "donglelife".

It takes time to become one. The switch over from the madness of everyone having their own charger to micro USB didn't happen overnight. Though since micro USB is pretty much "fine enough" for most stuff, the switch is taking longer. But little by little it's getting there.

Fine.
0%
None.

pretty good

fuck if I know. I have 3 devices that I actively use with USB-C. My current phone, my previous phone, and my switch.
The rest of them.

fine;
0% and 0%

150% of the time.

Attached: kYGTLjc.png (480x480, 200K)

>youngsters these days are spoiled
this

I don't mean ubiquitous, I mean a unifying standard, which it isn't, since it moved to a different connector from usb1-3

I don't hate USB-C, I just haven't purchased any hardware with it yet.
My computer is Haswell era and still doesn't need upgrading. Beside that only really cellphones and Mac peripherals use USB-C which is irrelevant to me. I've got a phone I won't need to replace for another year or two at the least.

one device. Still stuck in micro usb land here

My Xperia phone has it
In my experience file transfer is superior to USB, at least through my shitty 2.0 ports
Also charging speeds are much higher, but that could be because of the phone and not the cable itself
Not that turning a USB cable around was that big a deal, but not having to thing about it is nice.
I don't mind either.

>>universal

As opposed to having a port for mice, and a different port for keyboards, and a different port for printers, and a different port for joysticks, and a different port for digital cameras, etc. etc.

Here's my experience with USB C so far: I have a Bluetooth header that charges with USB type C. It came with a USB-AUSB-C cable. The only difference between the USB-C and MicroUSB on the headset is that I have to use a special cable for it. That's it. I have never ever used the USB-C port on my motherboard. Not once. Ever. Never seen or used a USB-CUSB-C cable.

The joystick thing was the worst, really. Computers all had a parallel port and mouse and keyboard ports. But you had to actually buy a soundcard to get the "midi"/joystick port.

Why the fuck are people in this thread defending type-A? It's trash engineering, a clear flunk of user-centred design.

Type-C, despite being a meme, is better, and anyone getting nostalgic about Type-A can eat shit.

My phone is type-C, everything else I use is type-A.

>Also charging speeds are much higher, but that could be because of the phone and not the cable itself

If it has Quick Charge I think it can benefit from a USB-C cable as it has far more power options.

>The only difference between the USB-C and MicroUSB on the headset is that I have to use a special cable for it. That's it.
MicroUSB is mechanically inferior.
>I have never ever used the USB-C port on my motherboard. Not once. Ever.
Why would you? Peripherals are still Type-A. Up until recently nobody charged their electric cars at gas stations, now some do...what is your point?
>Never seen or used a USB-CUSB-C cable.
The whole point of Type-C is to make the connection of the devices that you regularly pug/unplug reversible. The detachable cable for my phone's AC adaptor is USB-A to USB-C, the USB-C is REGULARLY inserted into my phone, the USB-A is RARELY inserted into the AC adaptor.

>FUGG
i've been cheated

Type-A wasn't terrible.
It was better than most ports that came before.

But yeah, type-C is superior in every way.
Jow Forums just hates technology.

is it just me or do those images where it's supposed to look different as a thumbnail than as the full image no longer work? She doesn't slam her skirt down when I open that pic.

anyway 100% of my USB devices are wither vanilla 2.0 or 3.0. I think one of my machines has one of the modern ports, but I've never used it, and I don't anticipate I will anytime soon. USB 3.0 is backward compatible and fast enough for anything that isn't an external GPU - and external GPUs are an idiotic meme anyway.

Works on my machine.

>is it just me or do those images where it's supposed to look different as a thumbnail than as the full image no longer work?

Still works on my machine.

Clusterfuck of a "standard". Faulty cables and faulty devices. No way to know what is actually behind the port itself. Big as fuck plug on the outside of the connector.

Browser? I wonder if this is due to using Pale Meme

Firefox 52.7.4

It's no different from knowing whether an HDMI port supports 4k or not. Read the manual/product page.

Phone and computer both use it. Feels fantastic to just have one charger with me.
Also quickly swapping the cable from my laptop to my phone. Good stuff.

>Big as fuck plug on the outside of the connector.
wat?

>Phone and computer both use it.
Same. Having a standardized laptop charger is good thing but otherwise I don't really care. But does the laptop charger charge the phone as quickly as a normal phone charger? I've never actually tried it.

>does the laptop charger charge the phone as quickly as a normal phone charger? I've never actually tried it.

If both your phone and charger have Quick Charge it will be faster.
If not it should be the same assuming both deliver enough ampere.

> does the laptop charger charge the phone as quickly as a normal phone charger?

Definitely faster. My pixel XL says "charging rapidly" when I use the charger, which is from a chromebook pixel.

The argument applefags use to defend them keeping lightning. The connector looks bigger on the outside because lightning puts all that shit hidden in the device. They're about the same size when that's taken into account.

>implying people willingly wanted to convert

Attached: works on my machine.png (200x193, 30K)

>She doesn't slam her skirt down when I open that pic.
Then how did you know that she's supposed to slam her skirt down?

1.) You can see the outline of the second image. Those images have a particular grainy texture to them that's very distinctive.
2.) I remember seeing them work properly at some point in the past, including that specific image.

>How are you surviving?
All good

>What % of your devices have been converted
None of my devices, just bought a few new cables from eBay/Amazon etc.
Example: USB-C to HDMI for my monitor, Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter for my external storage. Micro-usb to USB-C for my Ledger Nano S and other devices using micro-usb.

None atm. Maybe a smaller storage device but it's easy for me to just use my satechi hub with a regular USB.

You know what's hilarious? The chip in the plug of a lightning cable is ONLY there to detect if the cable is plugged in upside-down and switch the signals on the pins to the correct orientation. It does nothing else. A fucking $10-$20 premium because Apple can't design a connector that is actually reversible.

You forgot that it makes Apple money.

Got a laptop ages ago with usb3, thought nothing of it until I got a set of 16gb thumb drives for $8 each. The speed boost is well overdue. Also have a phone and a camera with c connectors. I can transfer 64gb of photos from my camera to phone in 1/10th the time it takes on usb2

> How are you surviving in the USB-C era?
Fine, but I-m not in that era yet.

> What percentage of your devices have been converted to USB-C?
One single phone that isn't my main phone.

And it's Type-A -> Type-C, not pure Type-C.

> Which items are you still hoping to convert?
I won't mind if all become Type-C over time, but I also don't really care to hurry anything along at this point.

>until I got a set of 16gb thumb drives for $8 each. The speed boost is well overdue.
It takes like 5-6 minutes to copy the whole stick at USB2 speeds. Yea yea, USB3 is faster but you can go make coffee or swap out your dragon dildo or something.

Most likely the bigger part of the improvement is just that you got faster storage.

>imagine micro USB, except far more durable and double reversible and capable of transferring as much energy and data as USB A
>"no, that's a fucking meme, nobody will want that."

Funny you should say that; I've yet to see a device without it. I'm actually shocked at how fast it took over.

The chip and circuitry probably only cost like 10 cents, but apple owns the spec and makes a fat premium on all licensed lightning devices.

That's why lightning cables are so cheap off of ebay, since the chinamen don't give a fuck about apple's premium.

I'm not hoping to convert anything since I don't care to such a degree about the shape of the connector and everything I own still does its job just fine. The only device I have with a USB-C connector is my phone, that's it. Even then the phone is actually USB 2.0 IIRC, but the reversible connector is nice to have on a portable device.

USB c is fucking phenomenal. My laptop and phone use the same charger, and both can go from 0 to 80% capacity in an hours charge. That's amazing.
The biggest meme on thus board is contrarianism without a hint of thought. The adoration of windows 7 is one example. The rejection of USB C is another

>The biggest meme on thus board is contrarianism without a hint of thought.
Quite literally the defining characteristic of Jow Forums.
People will sit in threads and claim that only manchildren with no life play games, and then proceed to spend 12 hours ricing their linux desktop.

Or caring about how many megabytes of RAM your DE takes up before you load 5GB of web tabs.

the only thing I own with a USB-C port is my motherboard and that's only got one. I've never used it.

> My laptop and phone use the same charger, and both can go from 0 to 80% capacity in an hours charge.
What stopped you from having a proprietary quick charging standard back then with with USB A or micro-B plugs?

These already did that and were widespread at least on phones. Putting USB ports on laptops is a new maymay I guess, but you had normal round plugs and things before that didn't have any less juice either.

Fine
One (the nin switch)
I wouldn't mind a phone with type C (they usually include an adapter for micro usb anyway)

>is there a bigger meme?
Yes, still using USB A, B, micro, or mini in 2018

> replacing all your gear because you can use a new USB plug
You are a true source of wisdom.

>buys entirely new devices instead of a $2 adapter
More wisdom than you, friendo.