Leave old 2011 macbook with low battery in closet since not using it

>Leave old 2011 macbook with low battery in closet since not using it
>One month passes by
>Try to use it, find out the battery has become so swollen that it is quite literally a danger
>Can't even use the laptop because the battery will explode if attempted to charge
>Can't take the battery out and safely discard it because the thing is held in by some weird ass fucking Y screw

Quality. This shit could literally burn my place down at any time. I guess it serves me right for buying apple.

Attached: 20180506_153044.jpg (1500x843, 337K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tri-wing-Triangle-Screwdriver-Macbook-Battery/dp/B00QNW968G
autismspeaks.org
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yep.
Even my old HTC Legend from 2010 has the stock battery in it and it works.

Is it a good idea to get to work on Friday morning at work and then head to work on Sunday morning to get my stuff done for work tomorrow morning and I will be home around five or so then I gotta call me when you get home. I just got to work and I got my lunch at dinner and then I gotta start to get to work.

I have the exact same model and it did the exact same thing under the same circonstances, lets sue them together user

>macshit
Found your problem.

Attached: 1522057751969.jpg (989x1006, 165K)

I use my Late 2011 one semi-regularly and don't have this issues. That said, was the battery completely drained, as in 0% charge? Completely discharging a Li-ion battery is extremely bad for the overall health of it. For future reference, Li-ion batteries should be charged to roughly 50-60% and then put into storage. It's a shame though OP. Hopefully getting it fixed isn't too expensive. Maybe an iFixit kit and a Chinese battery.

take it to some old car park and hammer a nail through it

>Completely discharging a Li-ion battery is extremely bad for the overall health of it.

There is a change of flipping the polarity, in which case it's fucked.
If the polarity doesn't flip it should be fine though.

And I'm not 100% sure but I don't think a drained battery can swell.
Isn't the swelling a way to get rid of the energy and prevent worse?

that 'weird ass Y screw' can be removed with a fucking $8 screwdriver
amazon.com/Tri-wing-Triangle-Screwdriver-Macbook-Battery/dp/B00QNW968G

then spend $40 on a new OEM battery and you suddenly have a new laptop. Leave it to a fucking macfaggot to complain on Jow Forums about being outdone by a fucking screw type rather than finding a solution and fixing his own problem. hope your fucking battery explodes on you when you remove it causing all of the skin on your hands to melt off.

Yeah it discharged, mostly because of the design flaw with the dedicated GPU causing the thing to completely lock up and become unusable until the battery is discharged completely. It would work fine for a week or so, and then it would do pic related whenever it booted up (IF it could even boot at all).

Buying a mac with a dedicated gpu was the dumbest thing I have ever done, what a piece of shit.

Attached: 20170317_140908.jpg (1000x562, 346K)

A fucking $8 screwdriver? I would rather just drill the fucking thing out for free and then replace it with a piece of shit $40 battery that will last for 2 months before not holding a charge.

Doesn't matter since the laptop is literally built with failing hardware.

>completely lock up and become unusable until the battery is discharged completely.

Oh wow.

I remember a colleague with an iPhone complain he couldn't receive calls for a several hours because he was waiting for the battery to drain so he could un-freeze it.
I laughed so hard.

>fix something inexpensively? fuck that I'd rather destroy it!
autismspeaks.org

I guess thats what happens when you buy a $2400 laptop brand new and expect it to last. At the same time my x220 works just fine

Mac macbook from 2008 is also trash. (Has not been used in 3 years because of issues listed below)
Here the issues:
>mother board broke, because cpu and gpu came off, was a issue of the 2008 models where they used bad lead solder
>fans broke after 2 years
>battery unusable abfter 3-4years
> monitor started to get darker and black and white patterns all overthe monitor, got worse over time
>graphic card failed after 8years,
Non of my other laptops had as many issues

This
Macfags should be banned from the board

Seriously what are you supposed to do if you live in a flat and a battery ignites?

>Non of my other laptops had as many issues
I don't have any apple stuff, but m8, not a single computer or gadget I own that's eight years old is even vaguely usable anymore. Lithium ion batteries have a lifespan of 2-4 years, LED displays have a lifespan of 4-6 years, fans have a lifespan of 2-10 years varying greatly based on load intensity, graphics cards and other boards have a lifespan of about 6-10 years. Electrical components wear out, dude. They're not magical and infinitely hardy just because they don't move or use vacuums anymore. The only thing you mentioned that isn't within tolerance is bad solder. That comes from Foxconn or whoever cutting corners, either because they're trying to cheat Applel or Apple has instructed them to find ways to make it cheaper. If you're going to shit on Apple, shit on them for the cheap 2008 solder job, not because a luxury good is somehow just as fragile as a consumer good.

In that case, I would have discharged it completely and then charged it to about 50% and put the laptop in storage. The cell health would have taken a hit but not produce a bunch a gas like yours did. Sorry m8. I fucked up too by buying this piece of shit.

I have 1st generation LCD monitors that still work, I have IDE hard drives that still work, I have a box of old as fuck 80mm fans that still work (if anything the bearings get fucked), I have cell phones that while the battery might not last as long they are not in danger of literally exploding.

An 8 year old laptop should be still usable today, just like any other 8 year old computer.

>old 2011 macbook
found your problem.

All memes aside, same thing happend to my 2014 rMBP (pic related), but Apple replaced it for free even though my warranty expired 1 year ago.

Stop being a faggot and get a chink one on Ebay, get the fucking screwdriver and replace it yourself, older ones are even easier to do so.

Attached: macbook.jpg (3264x2448, 1.41M)

Leave.

And call the fire department if you think it's bad.

>graphics cards and other boards have a lifespan of about 6-10 years.

Only shit boards.

Even with liquid capacitors decent quality electronics easily lasted 20+ years.
With modern solid state capacitors there are hardly any reasons for electronics to die.

Same thing happened to my samsung chromebook

youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

I got mine free with the battery :/

I would replace the battery if the damn GPU wasn't failing. I'd use the battery for a week before it fucked up and had to 100% discharge which would just cause the new one to puff up again.

It's funny because about 5 minutes ago the thing just made a loud popping sound from part of the cover tearing because its literally growing still. The cells are becoming exposed and if the enclosure gets punctured or tears it will catch on fire.

I'm just going to leave it outside in a bucket until I take it to the shooting range and put some incendiary rounds through it for fun.

Attached: 20180506_165527.jpg (1200x675, 532K)

Toss it in the bath tub or kitchen sink, open the windows and call the fire department if shit goes nuclear.

Probably would prefer the kitchen sink, since it's stainless steel and it will likely not manage to catch anything else on fire.

Did you use a chink charger?

Same thing happened to me, but that's because I was using a chink replacement charger.

Thankfully I have a y-wing screwdriver since I open up used vidya to clean them, so it wasn't an issue.

You can get a y-wing screwdriver for like $2, you dumb shithead.

>you're charging it wrong

Forgot to mention that the optical drive was failing very fast. It failed twice before just buying a external one. The replaced one was rarly used but still managed to fail after 2 years.

>You can get a y-wing screwdriver for like $2, you dumb shithead.
That's not the issue here.

Attached: 1486833204645.jpg (570x587, 43K)

>This shit could literally burn my place down at any time.

Then throw it in garbage can.

Bullshit. I've used mine 17in with express port to edit and recorded audio with apogee at 96k24 next to a drumkit and I still have the same battery. All of which no other os could do let alone with the lowest latency.

lol OP take that battery out and throw it as hard as you can at something

>held in by some weird ass fucking Y screw

Tri-wing screws are both common fare, and easily able to be worked around using a philips head and a wide elastic band.