Alright Jow Forumsents...

alright Jow Forumsents, when i was building my pc a while back i fell for the razer meme and bought one of them mech blackwidow v2. it was only until recently that i gazed upon things like the IBM mech board. why do people by them and should i get one myself?

Attached: 0Hefhby.jpg (2688x1520, 639K)

bump for interest

People buy them because they're sheep constantly looking for the next trend to lord over other people with, you should not buy one.

There seems to be a few different variants, which one should I look out for?

I would not get one unless you like typing code or stories.

should i stick with my razer blackwidow chroma v2?
i have no clue but the IBM Model M5-2 looks neat with the track ball and all but everyone buys that 1995 IBM Model M (P/N 1391403) so i was thinking about that too
i mostly game and the occasional shitpost, but its clickity clack interests me. why shouldn't i get it?

If you're unhappy with your current keyboard then by all means look for something else but unless you can get one for a good price I wouldn't fall for the meme.

Look at the "Jow Forums memes you fell for" threads. Never see anyone parading their model M keyboards in there

I've had a Model M for almost 15 years now and desu it's the best keyboard I've ever owned. Right now I'm using a keyboard I got as a gift, and while Cherry MX blues aren't anywhere near as bad as elitists make them out to be, they're nothing on an original buckling spring design.

Basically this. If you're playing a game, it's just an okaaaaay board. But if you're typing an essay, it's your go-to.

If it has a ps/2 interface, should I get a ps/2 to usb adapter?

if your motherboard is a piece of shit then yes but if you have a decent motherboard they don't pull as much power as people make them out to be. The Model M is a fairly popular board so I feel like board makers have started making their PS/2 ports full power again

That keyboard is missing the super button, looks pretty annoying. I use that button all the time no matter the OS.

basedboy detected

Your motherboard probably has ps/2 ports.

Yes, he is quite the based user.

it does, but I'm wondering what the advantages/differences are between ps/2 and usb

redpill me on ps/2

not mentioned: nkro on ps/2

Attached: virgin usb and chad ps2.png (908x444, 80K)

My friend knew I liked old tech so he gave me one that he'd happened across. I took it home, cleaned it up, and ordered some new keys for it.

It's just a keyboard, like any keyboard so take it for what you will. I will say though that it's much more satisfying for me to type on. At first it might seem like you really need to press those keys, but then going to an mx or topre keyboard, they just don't feel nearly as responsive. Also, the boards are made with a lot of plastic, they're build to last. Same with they keys themselves. Even if you don't get an old Model M or something, you should still give Unicomp a shot. They're a great company. I love coding on this b-boy.

Attached: archmodelm.jpg (3264x2448, 1.46M)

USB is better. It's hot swappable, and universal. ps/2 is basically shit for today. I had an old ps/2 keyboard that i liked for autistic reasons, but other then that; its a no for me.

it's trending and it's cool and unique with buckling springs. same with the alps switches on the at101w and other memes.

model m is largely outdated (no ghosting to my experience but it is 2KRO) but it's a nice beefy keyboard that emulates typing on a typewriter. it's super fucking loud, it's a heavy keypress, it's got a lot of travel but actuates very precisely, and it's a damn brick. these days decent model m's using ps/2 would run you way more expense than they are worth, more people buy them as collectibles than for actual typing these days. mine was 10 at a garage sale so i got away with a bargain but don't buy it off of ebay or the 140 buck remakes. there are probably shitty chinese outemu based keyboards that are more mobile, don't ghost and have nkro, with the satisfying tactile+clicky sounds for much less.

keyboards from the 90s lag 30-55ms I dare to imagine how much lag these keyboards from the 80s have probably like 100ms+

keyboards made in the last 3 years have 0.2ms lag.

Iconic industrial design, super high build quality, feels robust and expensive, give "analog" raw typing feel.

This being said I don't really like typing on those but that's just my personal preference.

citation needed