Free culture and Open source movement /FcaOsm/ - git init

This is a new general dedicated to free culture and open source movements.
ITT we discuss and share free and open concepts and practices, organizations, activists, projects and movements, whether software, hardware or cultural. Shill here your favorite product, ask for recommendations or talk about recent updates.

I'll kick off the thread with an overview of a key concept:
Commons-based peer production (CBPP) or social production which describes a new socioeconomic model of production in which large numbers of people work cooperatively (usually over the Internet). Commons-based projects generally have less rigid hierarchical structures than those under more traditional business models. Often—but not always—commons-based projects are designed without a need for financial compensation for contributors.
Peer production enterprises have two primary advantages over traditional hierarchical approaches to production:
>Information gain: Peer production allows individuals to self-assign tasks that suit their own skills, expertise, and interests. Contributors can generate dynamic content that reflects the individual skills and the "variability of human creativity."
>Great variability of human and information resources: leads to substantial increasing returns to scale to the number of people, and resources and projects that may be accomplished without need for a contract or other factor permitting the proper use of the resource for a project.

You can find the Gimp xcf file of the pic I'm using at:
mega.nz/#!SqRXFJQC!4GzPdT4EUsLF4cWMvkkdTnJDIryO03GNrekVhEjI8pE

Attached: FcaOsm.png (640x400, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/
static.fsf.org/nosvn/FSF30-video/FSF_30_720p.webm
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2018-May/194213.html
github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v0.50
gitlab.com/GrafX2/grafX2
grafx2.chez.com/
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
framasoft.org/?l=en
framatalk.org
archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt
bountysource.com/
gitcoin.co/
youtu.be/ZX5kjC5qvnw
hooktube.com/watch?v=ZX5kjC5qvnw
youtu.be/KoKCs0LaLZ8
hooktube.com/watch?v=KoKCs0LaLZ8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>communism general
bye

I'll bet you don't know what half of the buzzword jumble you spouted actually means. A thread died for this.

>communism
free and open source is very anti authoritarian thus isn't very communist, it's more libertarian or anarchist than communist
>implying
I didn't even use difficult words, do I need to elaborate something?

Open source is not communist because it doesn't force people.

Good resources to add next time OP:
fsf.org/
static.fsf.org/nosvn/FSF30-video/FSF_30_720p.webm
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
less memes, more informations

Ever read the GPL, user?

This

I want Gno part of this.

You're right, should've added more links. Will include this in the next one.

Choose your favorite FOSS OS, is it Linux?
BSD? GNU? Do you want a microkernel? Hoping ReactOS will get beter? Are you a believer in TempleOS? Haiku?

Attached: FOSSOS.png (640x400, 190K)

Why are there so many animal OS mascots?

The FSF says I'm free to make any decision I want, as long as I decide GNU.

gahnoo sucks, BSD is the future

do you know what a mascot is?

Is Linux foundation corrupt? The chair members aren't really pro FLOSS.
Is embrace, extend and extinguish in progress?

Attached: Corporate Members - The Linux Foundation.png (1352x2076, 457K)

A thingy?

yes but they all hate each other too so they havent gotten around to extinguishing yet

85% of the time its an animal, 10% of the time its a human, and only like 5% of the time its a thingy like bridgestones tire man

suprised google isn't on that list

Google is a silver member, the list of members is huge.
linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

when will HURD be finally usable?

communists are necessarily anarchists. anarchism is the final form of humanity, when history ends. like hegel thought his book would be, but real instead.

The Linux foundation is certainly pretty corporate and corrupt. But it isn't really EEE because the whole point is that a bunch of companies that use GNU/Linux fund development so they can all benefit from it and not just one company control it all and fuck others over. The corruption comes more from the insane prices for the conferences they host and the mostly useless staff members like the director who uses a macbook.

It's a diverse ecosystem

>Commons-based peer production

How will this work with hardware?

cloud, nigga

>hurr communism
proprietary shitware is more of a communism because you have a proprietor (dictator) who does whatever he wants with stuff that you have on your computer and you can't do nothing about it, only people who work in dictator's company (a Party of Workers) have power to change something, if you use proprietary software in other way than the dictator wants, someone can tell the Party about you and you'll go to jail, also in most caaes a Party is spying on you, etc. etc...

3d cad design on the internet and distributed production with for example 3D printers, take a look at opensourceecology

>open source == GPL

Attached: 1517179307576.jpg (887x900, 232K)

Attached: 1525125929932-pol.jpg (196x257, 8K)

Mesa 18.0.3 released!!!!!!
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2018-May/194213.html
>Mesa 18.0.3 is the latest stable version of Mesa3D for these open-source OpenGL/Vulkan drivers. This latest point release is on the very small side with only about one dozen changes in total. The work in Mesa 18.0.3 includes fixes for RADV Vulkan, fixing a VCN MPEG4 issue for Raven Ridge, a GFX9/Vega workaround for RadeonSI, Intel ANV Vulkan driver allocator fixes, and other minor fixes.

Why is Mesa so based? Remember a few years ago when it sucked and now it's fucking awesome.

Attached: mesa.jpg (300x300, 10K)

DXVK 0.50 Released!!!!!
github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v0.50
>DXVK 0.50 presents support for non-native screen resolutions, D3D11 vertex fetch rates when the appropriate Vulkan extension is exposed, optimized render target clear operations, and a number of RADV driver focused optimizations. Additionally, for those using the NVIDIA proprietary driver, for games using 24-bit depth buffers there should also be improved performance.

Attached: vulkan.jpg (428x428, 81K)

GrafX2 2.5 Released!!!!
It's a cool little pixel art editor, check it out:
gitlab.com/GrafX2/grafX2

Attached: FOSI7kq.png (322x271, 18K)

official website btw:
grafx2.chez.com/

"Open Source" forgets all of whats important about the free software movement, user.

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Attached: gnuslashmeme1.jpg (800x533, 194K)

Fuck you Stallman, people care more about the development methodology than the social movement.

Attached: Eric_S_Raymond_portrait.jpg (491x736, 277K)

I don't even understand this lol
>open source misses the point because they don't give a fuck about proprierary shit

Can someone explain this to me?
Ok, lets say that we are in the future where all software is free software, how programmers are going to get money now?

foundations, patreon and donations.
best would be if they all became livestreamers and they just code and give snarky comments.

According to the Free software movement's leader, Richard Stallman, the main difference is that by choosing one term over the other (i.e. either "open source" or "free software") one lets others know about what one's goals are: "Open source is a development methodology; free software is a social movement." Nevertheless, there is significant overlap between open source software and free software.

The FSF said that the term "open source" fosters an ambiguity of a different kind such that it confuses the mere availability of the source with the freedom to use, modify, and redistribute it. On the other hand, the "free software" term was criticized for the ambiguity of the word "free" as "available at no cost", which was seen as discouraging for business adoption, and for the historical ambiguous usage of the term.

Developers have used the alternative terms Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), or Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS), consequently, to describe open source software that is also free software. While the definition of open source software is very similar to the FSF's free software definition it was based on the Debian Free Software Guidelines, written and adapted primarily by Bruce Perens with input from Eric S. Raymond and others.

The term "open source" was originally intended to be trademarkable; however, the term was deemed too descriptive, so no trademark exists. The OSI would prefer that people treat open source as if it were a trademark, and use it only to describe software licensed under an OSI approved license.

OSI Certified is a trademark licensed only to people who are distributing software licensed under a license listed on the Open Source Initiative's list.

Attached: Desktop-Linux-Mint.png (1600x900, 302K)

Bug bounties, feature bounties, things like patreon, paid support

>look at GNU project software donors and boards
>nearly always giant corporations and boards full of guys who work for proprietary software companies
GNU wasn't enough, bros.

Free as in freedom, retard.

Thats why i said "...software is free software" not "...software is free" niglet

You can still ask money for a binary, most users won't compile it themselves

Hey! That's actually a pretty cool idea!

Using the GPL is a choice.

There's nothing stopping you from charging people to receive a copy of your source. Other people are free to distribute it too, but if you're the creator you can pitch yourself as more reliable since most people wont look at the source they're compiling.

What's your favorite license Jow Forums?

Attached: 1450px-Software-license-classification-mark-webbink.svg.png (1450x345, 50K)

There are still people who pay for Windows.
Let that sink in.

Attached: sink.jpg (341x600, 35K)

MIT

Linux is not an os

It is.

Attached: Linus_Torvalds_(cropped).jpg (234x298, 15K)

>Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

>/FcaOsm/
>/FacOsm/
>/FascOsm/
>/Fascism/
Mussolini will be proud

>that brainwash graphic
Thank you, now people are dumber than before.

Attached: 7UvRN.jpg (806x938, 337K)

witnessed

>people still fall for it

Attached: 1525463034291.jpg (645x968, 106K)

The stallman was fake, the linus was not

Hello, Lunduke.
>REEE THINK OF THE CHILDREN
*cough* brainlet

I know it's fake but the arguments are legit. Why should you have to include the name of the tools ontop of the kernel as name for the OS?
Linux also just sounds nicer than GNU/Linux, the whole interjection has become a meme so everyone knows the huge part GNU has played in the creation of the OS

Yeah that's why the account and comment is deleted by google, right?

Also did you even read the pasta. It's completly missing the point (obviously, since it's trolling).

GNU (1983) has been an OS long before Linux (1991) was written. GNU/Linux doesn't imply Linux with GNU tools, it implies GNU with Linux. A useful practice, since you can use multiple kernels in GNU like Linux-libre, kFreeBSD, etc.

You can also have linux without GNU

Yes, but Linux is still just a kernel and GNU still an OS.

What's your definition of OS?

android doesn't have any gnu too, why not call android just linux?

>GNU Hurd is the multiserver microkernel written as part of GNU. It has been under development since 1990 by the GNU Project of the Free Software Foundation, ..
>It has been under development since 1990
>28 years ago

Attached: 1525672151697.png (543x435, 128K)

Hurd isn't a priority project and nearly nobody is working on it since there's Linux. If it becomes ready, it's because someone loves his hobby.

They are the same.

Trying to ignore your employer's politics by calling it "development methodology" and only considering how it affects you and your team just makes you oblivious, and intentionally so.

>llvm/linux

Because it's marketed as Android and is called Android in the settings,etc.
People use "Linux" to describe the OS everywhere

GNU is free software that can be executed by the linux kernel. It is a toolkit of libraries and utilities. Not an OS. The kernel is the operating system.

See

>can't operate on its own
>operating system

Just call it Debian, Arch or whatever distro you're using.

What do you guys think of movements like this one ?
framasoft.org/?l=en

Their freeservices are pretty neat, there's litteraly everything.

Looks cool, exploring it now. I don't speak french though.

yeah, sadly things aren't always translated, but some stuff are pretty easy to understand.
Their VOIP service is pretty good and easy to use + it can do screen sharing

framatalk.org

>Guerilla Open Access Manifesto
archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt

Attached: Copyright is slavery.png (700x700, 20K)

Plan9 or the HURD.

Their developers don't want you to port programs. Yes, you hear me right.

That is cool, but why didn't they make the interface like Deluxe Paint? I like a paint program that works in the framebuffer.

Great read, Aaron Swartz was a hero and an inspiration.

bountysource.com/
gitcoin.co/

Why aren't you already making money?

Attached: 0c90336b0bc5662a9af8fd6130e11cad99cd68b006648660730ebb7746af1bec.jpg (225x455, 39K)

sweet

Attached: 1456875653362.png (298x256, 125K)

I am honestly thinking to submit a couple features I want myself for some programs. I wish more stuff like this existed. For example, I need this outliner to work with markdown, is super minimal and almost vi like, is just the markdown support that is incomplete.

Is open government the real redpill?

russian fake news is a threat to democracy

*all fake news is a threat to democracy
*censorship is a threat to democracy

I'd love if this general caught on, but Jow Forums is full of winbabbies and consumerism. This is one of the few cases where an equivalent board on 8ch would be better due to the fact that they actually discuss technology instead of blindly dismissing arguments and calling others faggots.

>inb4 banned by mods

Attached: 34c.jpg (330x357, 95K)

Absolutely this

Attached: Welcome newfriends.gif (720x405, 517K)

Why the fuck isn't this called "FLOSS and Free Culture General"? (/ffcg/)
Don't you know that open source is not the same as free software?
Why make a FLOSS general if you can just make a thread about whatever piece of software you want to discuss?
What does "free culture" have to do with technology?

Attached: OPisafaggot.jpg (665x574, 25K)

free culture stems from the free software movement thus relavant

I think a less cluttered logo like pic related would look a bit better.
It has a nice CLI aesthetic to it.
Why are you browsing cuckchan then?

Attached: Logo.png (769x435, 22K)

nice, can you upload the xcf? Will use it next thread

Just found this: youtu.be/ZX5kjC5qvnw
muh dick, how do I get a woman like this?

Please use HookTube when possible to avoid giving channels revenue.
hooktube.com/watch?v=ZX5kjC5qvnw

I don't mind giving channels revenue desu

7/10

Naomi Wu aka SexyCyborg is better though
youtu.be/KoKCs0LaLZ8

Attached: redditor-sexycyborg-uses-printing-to-make-futuristic-2.jpg (600x800, 74K)

hooktube.com/watch?v=KoKCs0LaLZ8