Ubuntu 18.04 vs Linux Mint 18.3

Which is best and why?
Never used Mint. I think Cinnamon is a mistake, they should improve Gnome rather then forking their own DE. I also don't like that there's no way to distinguish propietary software from FOSS, while in Ubuntu propietary stuff is in restricted and multiverse repositories.
But still I don't feel home with Ubuntu. I'm glad they dropped the Unity Desktop, but still Gnome3 feels like shit. Shall I give Mint a try? Maybe switch to Kubuntu or Mint KDE edition? I'm reluctant to switch to KDE becsuse I'm used to gtk apps...

Attached: Logo_Linux_Mint.png (220x200, 23K)

Mint is a terrible distribution for several reasons, including the ones you mentioned.

But it does the "it just works" thing better than ubuntu.

Mint KDE will die soon. Look at Ubuntu mate or MX linux

LM >>> Ubuntu shit.

>Mint is a terrible distribution for several reasons

Elaborate, please.

Honestly, the Cinnamon DE is the best thing about Mint. It's a very solid DE.

Mint 19 will be available soon if you want to wait. If you don't like Cinnamon try Mate instead.

Cinnamon is a solid DE, but it has all the same memory issues that GNOME has plus it's own leaks which have been around for years and still havent been fixed

>hey should improve Gnome rather then forking their own DE
I thought that everyone made their own fork of GNOME because GNOME devs never listened to their suggestions. Even Canonical was told to fuck off and forced to make their own thing (Unity).

There's no reason to use Mint anymore. Ubuntu has its DEs in its repos now.
The primary advantage of Mint for me was always that it had flash player for FIrefox preinstalled, but that doesn't matter anymore thanks to HTML5 Video.

To be honest, right now I would just suggest Manjaro for your desktop needs. It's stable, while being able to utilise Archs reps and people actually gave some thoughts into its spin offs designs.

If you're just after a completly proprietary free environment, look into fedora.

Attached: 2ETsCJf.jpg (1072x1440, 208K)

Kernel doesn't get security updates, bloated and it doesn't have a professional feel like other distros.

>funded distro maintained by paid professionals including a security response team
vs
>debuntu original distro do not steal neckbeard basement dweller autism respin

18.3 is way behind now. Wait a month or two for 19 if you want the comparison to be fair at all.

...it gets updates?

Ubuntu 18.04

Don't fell for Arch or Mint memes. Not worth it.

Windows 10 LTSB is the best modern OS for casual users and tech savvy pros alike.

OP here
Why not Debian? It's more stable than Manjaro, has better support and it's a propietary free environment by default
Fuck you

I disagree. Cinnamon is great and gnome should just stop trying. I guarantee cinnamon will have thumbnails before gnome does.

also what do I do to get thumbnails in KDE?
I'm using Kubuntu 18.04. The only good version of ubuntu currently.

>also what do I do to get thumbnails in KDE?
Use plasmazilla or grab a non-firefox browser.

oh I see, firefox issue
figures

why can't file pickers / file choosers just simply open up the file manager? why even use a separate program. it can open dolphin or thunar or nemo or w/e and everything would be fine.

Just use Xubuntu.

Xubuntu, it just works

Wut?
My kernel is uptodate

>
>oh I see, firefox issue
What issue?

This.

i have never encountered leaks in cinnamon

I prefer mint over Ubuntu. Not sure why. Maybe because last time I tried Ubuntu it was during unity de, and it ruined it for me. Now I use Linux mate on my laptop, and pure Debian for my servers. Either one will work. Setup two virtual machines and try them both, or live USB of each.