What does MacOS offer over Windows and GNU/Linux? Any exclusive features?

What does MacOS offer over Windows and GNU/Linux? Any exclusive features?

Attached: macos.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/697686/how-many-bits-of-memory-address-will-be-randomized-by-aslr-in-32-and-64-bit-linu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

On a platform it was meant to run on, it is easily the most stable and easy to use unix like desktop OS.
It's also good for music and video production, that's literally it.

the only reason I can think of using macOS for is editing film with Final Cut Pro. Despite what autists will tell you, Sony Vegas is trash and there's a reason its not used in any film industry in the West. The only other thing I can think of is it being idiot proof and the tech support is actually based in America so the people who do run into problems won't have to try and negotiate with pajeets and juan pablos about what their issue is. Its too cost inefficient for most people to justify buying it.

Adobe shitware that's also available on Windows. Also, every time you go to the Apple store and ask for the special edition of the latest install media, they give you a free Apple Certified Anal Plug (TM) with your copy of OS X. This special butt plug will ensure that Apple is not only metaphorically ass fucking you, but also physically now as well. Be sure to get your free iToy today, faggot.

over Windows: no ads, no botnet, just works, well-designed, coherent, not anchored to 30 years of legacy cruft

over Linux: just works, well-designed, coherent, compatible with more commercial third-party software (even if said software sucks donkey dick because the developer spends 90% of its resources on Windows)

Child-safe rounded corners on everything.

>it's the daily mactoddler makes a shill thread so he can answer his own questions to shill his gay fruit shit episode
Reminder to report and sage.

>A desktop nix that *actually* works.
>A superior file system
>A superior kernel over Microdicks and Linux
>(over windows) largely open-sourced
>(over most Linux distributions) contributes upstream
>clean and simple code
>low latency kernel
>great software suites that aren't retarded
>not botnet
>backed by the most profitable corporation in the world
>triggers both Windows and Linux neets

/thread

It has the utility of GNU/Linux and the professional software support of wangblows. It has a lot of issues, but it is miles in front of Microsoft's garbage OS.

it's the last viable commercial Unix-like for general purpose desktops with a commercial software base and polished interface

>Unix-like

It’s actual Unix.

Snapping windows to the side for 80 bucks

>Hackintosh
>Check how it works, decide to try it because "user your GPU is one of the best for it" 2 years ago
>Run it for a while, have some issues here and there, can't use my dedicated sound card
>End up paying 5 bucks so I snap windows to corners and do some stuff
>Slow as shit
>Try recently
>Same experience

Polish, even over KDE5 which is clearly the most polished of the DEs.

>A desktop nix that *actually* works.
>(over windows) largely open-sourced
>(over most Linux distributions) contributes upstream
>low latency kernel
>great software suites that aren't retarded
True.

>A superior file system
>A superior kernel over Microdicks and Linux
>not botnet
>clean and simple code
>backed by the most profitable corporation in the world
>triggers both Windows and Linux neets
False.

>press enter to become root: the 20th sequel
Apple is a fucking joke, and appletards are the dumbest fucking sheep on this planet.

turns you into gay

>press backspace 28 times to become root: the 28th sequel
Linux is a fucking joke and linuxtards are the dumbest fucking sheep on this planet.

>one time linux bug that was fixed within hours of discovery
vs
>applel pajeets shitting in applefag's mouths every other week and applefags claiming it tastes amazing

The apple bug was also fixed hours later...
You've just got a massive haterboner for Apple since it's cool circlejerk thing to do.

-t. Linux, OSX, OpenBSD and Windows user (also one router with VxWorks, not really my choice though)

>The apple bug was also fixed hours later...
And unfixed an hour later because applel pajeets just shit everything out with zero testing and appletards happily pay a premium price to be betatest slaves.

Except that didn't happen... You're literally making shit up to try and continue your ridiculous circlejerk.

>exclusive features
forced updates to install software, walled garden, locked down BIOS.

Attached: vmware_2018-05-07_18-30-27.png (424x124, 15K)

>What does MacOS offer over Windows and GNU/Linux? Any exclusive features?
Memory compression
Application sandboxing (jails) and application memory containers (fast sleep/wakeup)
Selective graphic rendering

All of these leads to vastly improved battery life. I triple boot Windows, macOS and Ubuntu on my 2014 MBP, macOS lasts ~7 hours without needing charging, Windows lasts ~3 hours and Ubuntu drains my battery within ~2 hours.

Windows 8/8.1/10 have memory compression. (Linux doesn't)
Linux also has ASLR (Windows doesn't)

Linux doesn't coalesce timers either.

>Windows 8/8.1/10 have memory compression
Not the same thing.

>Linux also has ASLR (Windows doesn't)
ASLR is a security feature, has nothing to do with increasing battery life. It's also not the same as a jail.

it doesn't suck

>fagOS
>doesn't suck

Attached: images.jpg (225x224, 7K)

I'm not implying it's the same as a jail, but Windows does have ASLR for security, as does OSX but not Linux.
Windows Memory compression works exactly the same as OSX.

>Linux also has ASLR (Windows doesn't)
Actually, you're wrong. Windows does support ASLR for 32 and 64bit versions but obviously isn't as well utilised in 32bit versions of Windows with a problem related to the amount of entropy.

I was able to find a question on StackExchange that pretty much sums it up for you:
superuser.com/questions/697686/how-many-bits-of-memory-address-will-be-randomized-by-aslr-in-32-and-64-bit-linu

It's actually pretty good for a laptop OS.
Comfy AF.
For a single monitor desktop OS, it's 'OK' but honestly, Windows and *nix using anything but Aqua is better.
For multi-monitor, OSX is garbage. Windows and most every *nix/X11 DE is better.

Meanwhile in the real world:
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems

Attached: 1511992585766.jpg (1290x1645, 468K)

>but Windows does have ASLR for security, as does OSX but not Linux.
Linux has extensions for it, and also PIE for libraries.

>Windows Memory compression works exactly the same as OSX.
Does it? Maybe I've mistaken. I would appreciate some documentation, if you know of any?

>my anecdotes are better than yours
I'm sorry that my personal experience upsets you, but macOS has demonstratively better batterylife on my 2014 MBP.

Nothing.

Which is exactly the same as other computers, nowadays.

>actual tests performed by highly credible tech publications are anecdotes because i say so
This is why no one takes mactoddler sheeple seriously.

>muh microbenchmarks regarding a model I don't even have prove everything

and this kids is a perfect example of the type of "opinion" to automatically ignore and disregard.

>For multi-monitor, OSX is garbage.

u wot? I am currently on 3 screens and it's fucking great. On top of that I'm using the magic mouse and hot corners which makes it even better

Unless you're building for the App Store why would you use xcode
And if you're building iOS apps why are you shitting on macs

>superior kernel
>sometimes doesn't kill programs stuck on I/O with kill -9
>you literally have to reboot to kill them
>not even windows is this bad
I swear it's a kernel that's literally written by hipster javascript developers

Linux is shite for battery life. Windows is better but I can't stand anything past Windows 7.

The Mac desktop feels designed for consumers in mind, while the Linux desktop feels like it’s haphazardly designed around barely working tech.

Unstable, outdated, proprietary. Absolutely no redeeming value.

how does this instability manifest in your experience?

All I heard was a mac can't get a virus... is it true or just a meme?

Nothing. I was a life long Mac user until the fall of 2017. I got my Surface Pro (5) and I have never looked back. I have fully stripped macOS out of my iMac and MacBook Pro. I will never go back and I just built my first gaming PC. I'll be honest and say I'll probably never leave iOS. I know how great Android is but I do love my iPhone and very much enjoy my iPad.

pic for no reason

Attached: 31949830_1955457451341665_5056487666418188288_n.jpg (375x480, 20K)

Not much, really.
And you need third party software for basic stuff such as windows snapping and arrangement.
Still, it's very stable and quite enjoyable once you get accustomed to its "non-standard" shortcuts and shit.

Official macOS upgrades render the device unusable/unbootable more than 50% of the times on about 20 different machines of different models and years.

Say that to my face mothafucka.

Attached: 2011090916412127.jpg (270x378, 16K)

Former Windows and Linux user
MasOS is comfy AF

I like the email client.

Right? It just has this non stressful vibe to it.

Current macOS user here, it sucks.

Current macOS user here, its pretty cool.

>Memory compression
I have no idea what you're mean by this, but memory management on Windows is leagues above macOS. MacOS is utter fucking shit when it comes to managing resources and setting up priorities.
>Application sandboxing
Win10 has it to the same extent - meaning it's not omnipresent.
>leads to vastly improved battery life
MacOS throttles your hardware disregarding your opinion. Windows only does that when you set it up for it.
My T460s usually lasts about 4 hours of relatively active usage, while MBP 2017 will last about 7 hours of doing similar stuff. That's until you tell Win10 to go full eco-mode - then T460s lasts just as long, if not longer. The problem is, the only way to make MBP work "full-power" (which for MBP means "utilize 70% of its hardware at best because its OS is shit and it'll thermal throttle itself anyway") is to connect it to a power source, while on a Win10 laptop you can just flip the switch.
Arguably, MBP's screen looks better when it's dimmed, and its speakers are somewhat better. However, that's about everything it has going for it.

hallo daar

Final Cut Pro has gone to shit since FCP X.

I just got 9 hours of full use, albeit only things like writing documents from my xps13 (9360) running Arch and i3.

Note that I was listening to music with cmus constantly, and also had multiple tabs of Firefox open literally all the time.

Apps

Well, over Windows, macOS is generally a lot more stable. It's faster too, because there are only 4 or 5 modern mac models that Apple has to support at any given time, so they can compile the software with specific targets in mine, unlike Windows which has to support every machine on the market, so you get a slower one-size-fits-all install. But the main advantage it has over Windows again is stability. Microsoft really went to shit in the past few years.

Nope.

> Over Windows
More stable, faster, UNIX/GNU tooling, consistent and prettier UI, bespoke OS.
> Over GNU/Linux
Consistent and prettier UI, third-party software, bespoke OS.

coreaudio>>>>>abism>>>>>rest

If it is at all bearable to use osx's horrible window manager, it is with multiple monitors, since it can't snap windows to the side or corners

Maybe I have to make ios apps and don't want to?

>More stable
false
>faster
false
>UNIX/GNU tooling
present on Win10
>consistent UI
true
>prettier UI
subjective. Looks like garbage to me.

You haven't ever used your OS for anything productive, have you?

Thats true, but osx has really shitty kblayout :((((

>very stable
Hmm I had more freezes and crashes on macs than on windows in the last 10 years (2 of which I used a mac)
Maybe it's just my Mac at work... Oh and the one my boss uses because he had a 15 minute freeze while he wanted to show me how to add network drives to finder on his freshly booted iMac

Because you can't do anything with it anyway

I was programming probably before you were born.

I like Linux and its flexibility. Lots of cool stuff comes to Linux first but it’s not very polished for desktop usage. I work with Linux servers. Using Windows is painful and alien. OS X is a great middle ground.

coreaudio, literally nothing else

>UNIX/GNU tooling present on Win10
That’s a dirty hack and anyone who works with POSIX systems will point that out to you.

It's no different to a 'normal' keyboard, excepting the lack of one control key, and the addition of the command keys.

Keyboard shortcuts are more consistent across applications too. Windows is a complete clusterfuck in this regard.

>Lots of cool stuff comes to Linux first but it’s not very polished for desktop usage.
How so?

Haha! Then why is it unusable piece of shit with endless list of bugs?

Attached: 1518481300626.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

Every OS sucks you tard.

Still a pain to make it work 100% on laptops.

>I want to use an OS from the 90's

How is it better than pulse?

You're one old retard, then.
Nice to see you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Well there are only about 10 laptop models that can run macOS, meanwhile there are literal hundreds that can run Linux, so if your point is that is compatibility, it makes no sense.

You are not going to convince me to use a shitty virtualizada layer of Linux on top of Windows 10 dude.
Fair enough. But even then it doesn’t work without adjusting and tuning. Speaking about stuff like battery life and god damn ndiswrapper tier shit. It’s not Linux fault but still.

There is also the advantage of using proprietary software. I run Linux everywhere else but I don’t care about free software philosophy.

>Fair enough. But even then it doesn’t work without adjusting and tuning. Speaking about stuff like battery life and god damn ndiswrapper tier shit. It’s not Linux fault but still.
Idk what to tell you, I have had several devices running Linux just fine without this, my XPS 13 gets like 7 hours with normal usage in Fedora. I mean you can tune it, but that's not the same as having to do so.

>There is also the advantage of using proprietary software.
And what is stopping you from running proprietary software on Linux? Availability?

Unix system with actually useful commercial software

Loonix Freetards don’t have a sense for beautiful design, they think with their Stone Age functional mindset (these people probably also wear cargo pants)
Meanwhile macOs is a product of a blend of two monumental design philosophies (Steve jobs and Jonathan ive)
The people behind apple have a certain sense for aesthetics and they tend to focus on it
This is the reason why I as a designer only use Mac products and would never use something else

Fcpx killed final cut as a contender for serious editing

Most people use premiere, media composer, or resolve

>Cobbles together a go cart using wood and a lawnmower engine
>Man this thing sucks, cars are useless

I’m probably outdated as fuck in matters related to Linux on laptops. I plan on running OpenSUSE on my late 2011 MBP when the operating system updates stop. And yeah availability for software counts.

I’m also neck in deep into iCloud stuff.

It's really not. You can't span monitors. The only real good part was the ability to have a menu and dock on each monitor.

>Over Windows
Generally much more stable. The experience is smoother, you'll never have to deal with random reboots or updates. I have to use a surface pro at work and it's frustrating having to deal with it randomly freezing or rebooting every few months. Also the MacOS filesystem is a lot better and you dont need to worry about fragmenting your disk etc.
>over Linux
3rd party software

design snobs are far worse than freetards.

> You can't span monitors.
Retarded. I'm doing just that right now.

Yep, he is my dude

Proof?

>no ads, no botnet
stopped there

> t. Windows 10 user

Over windows its a good development platform but Gnu/Linux is better than both