How do I make this laptop faster? I seriously don’t know what‘s slowing it down. I can barely run Firefox on it

How do I make this laptop faster? I seriously don’t know what‘s slowing it down. I can barely run Firefox on it.

>pic related, specs

Attached: 5E693D54-3753-454C-879D-FE93E5C2AFF3.jpg (3264x2448, 2.12M)

Probably because that processor is pure dogshit. Throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

Run htop and look at what's going on.

>AMD A6
S H I T

Come on, there's gotta be some way I can salvage this garbage

Tuning and using lightweight software can only go so far. What disc does it have? Your best /only options are to switch to a fast SSD. If you end up using more RAM, maybe an upgrade on the RAM will help, but I kinda doubt it.

Debian is great, but it's not a speed demon. You may have to switch distros to something more configurable, to stretch the life out on this thing. Make sure you benchmark and record at every change, otherwise you won't really know if what you're doing is helping or placebo. When you're trying to see what your biggest usage and pain points are, htop, sysstat and pv will be your best friends.

Look at the cpu...

There must be something wrong, I used an AMD E-350 laptop with standard Ubuntu, Firefox with music playing on youtube, Minecraft open, etc with no problems

Get a small ssd and throw a lightweight distro on it.

>1.0 GHz

isn't that, like, insanely weak?

I did. I know, it's like polishing a turd, but there are still ways to probably make it run better.

I would suggest replacing the APU, but that system likely wasn't designed to deliver enough juice to support it.

Cycles don't define perf, but that chip is pretty shit these days.

Nice meme, that chip absolutely should be shunned on clockspeed alone. 1x 5GHz core > 2x 2.5GHz cores.

Attached: spaghett.png (339x319, 117K)

OP when is the last time you dusted out the inside?

Is the BIOS the most up-to-date version?

Do you have a mechanical or SSD installed?

Have you already maxed out your RAM you can upgrade?

It's slow, not necessarily weak. Some processors do more per clock, fetch memory more efficiently, etc. Even single threaded, a 1.3Ghz i7-7Y75 laptop will run rings around the 3Ghz P4 desktop in my basement, despite being less than half the clock speed.

The A6 part of it, that's what makes it weak.

No.

It's a PS4/XBONE class CPU, so you know it is shit.

Install Lubuntu

Op send it to me I'll make it faster

>delete the meme
>install Mint

Install Arch, no I'm not shitposting, a minimal Arch install is the only thing that could run decently on that.

SSD

put windows back on it dumbass

An SSD would help a lot. But you will never truly get past that shitty CPU

this. also, have you checked your temps? it's probably thermal throttling. you might have to clean it out and replace the thermal compound.

Install TinyCore linux or kolibriOS

>that's stupid because an apple is clearly better than an orange

don't use firefox. i have a 10 year old laptop i use daily with debian and it's fast still. i use links2 in graphical mode for browsing the web and mpv for watching videos or streaming music. pale moon might run faster that fattyfox but i don't bother with anything that uses javascript on my laptop. software choice is going to make the biggest difference here. i have an amd e300 dual core that runs just fine with debian also using the same setup (lxde with links2) so it's not the apu that's at fault.

Install Alpine.

a6 1450 is on par with high range core 2 duos, and those by no means were awful (though comparing modern cpus would dwarf their performance). if you're bent on using firefox get the open source graphics stack and make sure webgl can utilize hardware acceleration; that should stem the bleeding somewhat. upgrading to double channel, higher frequency memory and your hard disk to a ssd would help with cache as well (although if you valued privacy you ought to turn that shit off).

all-in-all the processor isn't even that bad and the gpu is around that of the hd4000 so it's got the horsepower for some basic video decode via vdpau and handling hardware acceleration on firefox. saying that a6-1450 is unusable for firefox would mean x61 and previous users are doing significantly worse, which they aren't, i can run firefox just fine on a x61.

also using lightweight software as said would help a lot, use midori, xombrero, or elinks (graphical) or w3m/lynx if you don't give a shit about js.

I want to look at this as bait but there are probably retards on Jow Forums who actually believe this shit.

Switch browser from Firefox to Links.