I have a t430 with 12gb of RAM and all I want to do is play XCOM2 but it runs with a shitty framerate no matter how low...

I have a t430 with 12gb of RAM and all I want to do is play XCOM2 but it runs with a shitty framerate no matter how low I drop settings in the engine ini.

External GPU as an option, yes or no?

Attached: egpu-450x229.jpg (450x229, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xcomrl.blogspot.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>muh games

dude i'm asking about a performance boost and hardware not about games

OP honestly unless your device has a thunderbolt connection your going to have a bad time even then best bet is to get a desktop....

Attached: The+perfect+rock_8e3761_6599328.jpg (234x227, 24K)

>External GPU as an option, yes or no?
if you can't figure this out on your own you're on the wrong board. though it's also obvious that you're on the wrong board when you ignored the sticky and made this thread

you could always try this :)

xcomrl.blogspot.com

>12gb of RAM
All you need is a couple more GBs dude. 16 should do it

not op bout would that really wowrk??? I thought that r.a.m. could only do so mcuch...?//

thanks - brannon

Guide said expresscard would be good but would lose 10/15%, was just curious if anyone had any experience.

External GPUs are hardly ever talked about, I figured this was off the wall enough.

Played around with this, super cool actually; unfortunately doesn't really have soldier classes or anything, hahaha.

>External GPU as an option, yes or no?
>Guide said
Since you've done your research then this is really only a matter of whether you want it or not, so what is it exactly that you're asking us about?

You want us to convince you it's a bad idea because deep inside you don't want to waste money on gayming, or you want us to convince you the opposite because your inner jew isn't allowing you to spend it?

There's like two guides on it anywhere, I wanted to know if anyone had experience with these because they seem like they would be really hit or miss in practice.

Yes it's an option. Using an eGPU with my X230 as I speak.

Thank you, this is pretty much literally what I was looking for. How much did the dock run you, or did you do a premade box?

>farming for the gaming on a non gaming computer meme
Yeah user. External GPUs. Get fooled again.

I'm using an EXP GDC 8.0 and that cost me about £40 GBP from Banggood. Card wise I use a GTX 1050, but if you're gonna get a card yourself I'd suggest a 9xx series one, especially the 960 as they aren't prone to the driver issues the 10xx series are when used as an eGPU. You can get a Dell 8-pin power supply as the power supply for it if it's powered just by the PCI power and not an extra 6 or 8 pin power connector and not worry about using a bulky ATX one. Good luck

Thank yoouuuuuu, from the bottom of my heart.

To everyone else, input like this is why I didn't ask on fucking dumbass /v/.

All good senpai. One last thing, I use it via Expresscard, Expresscard is fine, don't listen to the shills that tell you it bottlenecks, only if you use the internal display of the laptop. If you use an external monitor there's no bottleneck. A little performance hit compared to if you put it in a desktop, but you don't feel it at all.

Man, thanks a lot, you really answered all my questions. I'll be using a pretty nice external monitor but this laptop is too good to kinda cast aside so to speak just to build a full on desktop just for gaming, which I don't really do much of.

Thanks again.

It does bottleneck. 1050 + 8.4d + 2570p here.
40% degradation on internal 1366x768 screen, 30% degradation on external 1920x1200 one.
If he prefers playing on 60FPS he should get at least 1060 3GB which is much more efficient in PCIe signaling than older cards are.

Attached: 1525299282731.gif (300x200, 2.41M)

Nah I have the same specs as OP but 64gbs of ram and the game runs great for me.

are you retarded?
>same specs
which are? OP never said what specs he has.
Quit shitposting.

oh that's weird i don't think my mb (mother board, not megabyte like ona pstwo membery card) doesn't have 16 slots for 4gb (gigabyte) sticks, guess i'll haveot get a new mb (motherbored ahahah

--brannon

Lurk the fuck more shitstain

Egpus are a shit meme. I buy old mobile workstations and even things like quad has well 3.2 ghz still bottlenecks the internal mxm gpu. The gpu is perfectly capable of doing 1080p but the cpu just bottlenecks it with games like overwatch.

It's still moderately playable but the input lag is very noticeable. I'm not meming about 1~2ms lag but it's the type where you move your mouse and a few seconds later it responds. It feels like I'm playing over vnc or something.

An equivalent haswell shitpad would be the w541 and they go for like $500 used with no mxm.

What you Jow Forumstards don't understand is running an external GPU to a 10 year old machine is not fit for gaming by any standard. Enjoy your microstuttering and display latency.
Just get a fucking desktop from all the money you saved on a thinkpad.

eGPUs are not for 60FPS autism gayming. Nobody ever said they are.
But if you're satisfied with 30FPS then its okay.

If you already have GPU in a desktop and you want to use it with your non-gayming laptop on the go eGPU modules are ideal for that.

>autism gaming
No, user, you are the autist. Who the fuck puts tumors on his laptop just to run some games worse than a console of its time? Or even a gaming PC from the same year as the game came out?

This desu. Desktop with a GTX 1070 hooked up to a 4k monitor+ Thinkpad X230T for uni is the comfiest combo.

>worse than a console of its time
That's objectively not true you nigger.
I've got quad core cpu in my laptop that's as fast as i5-3570k and nicely shielded expresscard port. Besides 30% FPS degradation caused by slow PCIe I don't see any other issues you've noted. And I'm talking about games like PUBG, CS:GO and others like DOOM, fallout 4, new wolfenstein, etc. All fully playable.
So what you're probably complaining about are cheaper laptops with shit CPUs. This has nothing to do with eGPUs.

It's not about the fps. It's about the input lag.

Most of the time to alleviate the input lag you would have to run at a reduced resolution of 1600x900 or less and at that point you're already way beyond the point of 60fps.

Consoles run their own fucking minimalistic OSs and hardware, they have microscopic latency.
Also I doubt you have had too much experience with gaming desktops to notice the input latency if "fully playable" is your criteria.

> input lag.
Are you talking about gayming on internal screen? Then I agree, there is an input lag and it's because of how Optimus works. Still, nicely shielded expresscard resulting in very stable transmission is enough to make it unnoticeable.
>you have had too much experience with gaming desktops
I'm sharing GTX1050 between desktop and laptop, so I know how it works in both computers.
>if "fully playable" is your criteria.
Our definition of "fully playable" is different. That's understandable. But I'm not sure you're even talking about low tier cards like 1050 (non-ti) to begin with.

It's like taking to a brick wall, jeeze

There's no microstuttering or input lag with an eGPU unless you're using the internal display/running both the iGPU and eGPU at the same time.

>unless you're using the internal display
Well I do enjoy being able to see my games.

Use an external monitor then instead of a tiny laptop screen.

And somehow keep the lid half-closed so I can use the keyboard and actually see the monitor? Is this how eGPU plebs "enjoy" this hobby? Might as well go one step further and build a gaming PC.

How badly do you want to play this game? Find a used desktop computer that you can sell for the same as you bought it for. Play your game for a month and then flog it at a small loss.

Just use an external keyboard like you would normally and use it as a desktop. It's not a hobby, it's quite literally plug and play for the most part.

I use external everything basically then just leave the cords where they are so I can "re-dock" so to speak, external GPU would just be one more cable.

Attached: IMG_20180507_012422.jpg (400x300, 12K)

it is. You clearly don't understand how eGPUs work and you're trying to force everyone into using same "gayming standards" you use. Kill yourself shitpai.

Get a better laptop then you micronigger.
You probably have shitty exposed expresscard and dual core cpu that gets 100% loaded when you play anything.

Or you're using spectre patch that generally fucked up eGPU experience in all cases (including TB3)

I was hoping you'd say that so I could get a good laugh out of it. Are you too poor to get a used $300 dell with i5-2500 in it or do you enjoy destroying the purpose of a laptop?

Actually given the fact that I can go work on homework with friends that you don't have, I'd say I'm using 100% of the laptop's perks.

My sides.
>don't get a desktop, just buy a slightly better laptop
>keep critical system flaws on your cpu for that extra few FPS bro

Nice projection, I have a laptop and a desktop. Both can play the games I like just fine.

Possibility of using spectre in practice is close to zero.
Also it has nothing to do with FPS. You will see same impact on pre-haslel desktop too.

eh, if you wanna play games just sell the t430 and get any other laptop with a decent IGP.

Best of both worlds is the w530/540 with a 1080p display and a 2GB nvidia card, good luck finding one that's not absurdly overpriced tho.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

>buy 15,6" brick instead of nice 14" laptop so you can get 80% shorter battery life and some more FPS
no thanks

>has to use the table as support
Thinkpad users, everyone

protip: the w540 is actually lighter than the t430, due to its shitty chassis. Something had to be sacrificed in order to have a lighter laptop.

I never said my sugestion was ideal but it's still way better than a ridiculous eGPU contraption. I'm rocking a T530 with a QHD screen, a core i7 and a 1GB nvidia card btw. It's insanely heavy but unlike you guys I'm not a manlet so whatever.

Oh, and it has the klassik keyboard installed. Suck on that.

>1GB nvidia card
Careful running the command prompt in fullscreen, you might run out of memory.

what do you mean exposed expresscard?

>t. x200 owner

Fuck of already you dumb thinkpad shill. W540 and quadro cards are not for gaming. It's a worse idea than eGPU and T430.
OP, get cheap EXP GDC and 750ti/960 4GB/1050 2GB/1050ti 4GB/1060. If you prefer getting better laptop buy Dell 7577 with actual 1060 6GB in it and don't listen to these autistic niggers shitposting about W540 being a gaming laptop.

unshielded connection between expresscard port and chipset on the motherboard which allows EMI to fuck up (slow down) already slow PCIe communication. I've seen this in shitpad x230.

>I literally told the guy to GET RID of his memepad and get "any" laptop
>I'm a memepad shill somehow

Do you frequent /v/ by any chance? I've heard the average IQ is on the fucking floor over there.

you're clearly recommending another memepad:
>Best of both worlds is the w530/540 with a 1080p display
This is plain retarded and I've just pointed this out.
>Do you frequent /v/ by any chance?
No, are you? Because you're very emotional and unable to read properly. Nigger.

how do you "shield" it because I might have that issue myself

>w530/540 with a 1080p display and a 2GB
The K2000M/K2100M are rare and expensive.
I have a W530 K1000M and it's pretty good for must stuff though.

by purging shitpad and buying better quality laptop. Lel.
This is a design fault (pretty understandable by the way, as EC was never meant to host GPUs) but you can't just rework motherboard or add aluminium foil on it.
What laptop are you using?

>ITT: thinkplebs unable to use eGPUs
Top fucking kek. Should've got EliteBook instead.

Attached: 1525475588844.png (461x529, 27K)

>unable to read properly
you try reading right above that first sentence you pointed out.

Also the guy clearly likes something about thinkpads or else he wouldn't have a T430 in the first place. The "big" thinkpads with Nvidia cards are quite capable of running games as long as you dont try to do something stupid like maxing out settings of a current AAA game. Something like the t540/w540 gives him a smooth med/high xcom2 experience + the benefits of owning a thinkpad, so how is it retarded?

damn. I have an x230 myself and I get occasional crashes that might be attributed to some kind of interference. I'm building a new desktop anyways so won't be using it for much longer

are you using EXP GDC? Which version?
Pre-8.0 had shit hdmi cables that could be the problem also.

yeah i have the 8.0 myself, would a later version be better?

>Also the guy clearly likes something about thinkpads or else
more like he fell for yet another /tpg/ meme.
>so how is it retarded
Wasting money on 5 year old shitpad with very inefficient and power hungry GPU. It's much better to just buy cheap gaming laptop that will not be deprecated in next 6 months.

Does the PCB say it's 8.0? Or is it some strange version like 8.5c?
8.5c is known to be very unstable because of misaligned +3.3V pin in HDMI port.

Oh bollocks you're actually right, it does say 8.5c. I'll get myself an 8.4D soon enough if that's good enough. Thanks for pointing that out user

doing something like this will probably fix the issue tho. Kek.

Attached: 412.jpg (2048x1536, 246K)

>Wasting money on 5 year old shitpad
he obviously has no problem with that. Why do you? oh right, you like gay vidya-ready laptops that won't even last 5 years.

>very inefficient and power hungry GPU
and somehow a fucking external GPU that needs a completely separate PSU is MORE efficient?

>cheap gaming laptop
>gaming laptop
>cheap
inwhatuniverse.webm

>that won't even last 5 years.
his t430 will be long gone in that time.
>is MORE efficient
Yes, it is. Efficiency has nothing to do with mobility you dumb nigger. 1050 eGPU is MUCH more efficient that some shitty quadro/nvs card in old cumstained thinkpad.
Yes, Dell 7577 is cheap. Cheap as fuck to be precise.
>being poor

Attached: 1480250776729 (2).jpg (640x640, 55K)

Thinkpad chink seller/shill spotted.

I just realized I could not care less about what OP or you guy(s) do with your money. Have a good day.

>>cheap gaming laptop
>>gaming laptop
>>cheap
Last year's model, bruh. Unlike Macfags who still demand a thousand dollars for a decade old laptop, PC equipment depreciates faster than a new car. Buy used or stolen on Craigslist and save big money. I bought my RoG i7 for $600 two years ago and still use it today.

Even more so in a college town, because trust fund faggots with rich daddies consider everything they buy to be disposable. It's a shopping spree of high-end appliances when they move out at the end of every school year. High-end appliances all day long. Nice washer/dryer sets, refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, etc.

Nice argument you got there, thinkshill.