/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
>DO NOT OVERCLOCK ON RYZEN 2000 SERIES
If you are on the new X470 or B450 platforms letting precision boost 2 do its job gets better performance
If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO Core i7/5/3 7000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO Ryzen 1000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE Ryzen 2000 SERIES
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2600X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU (Mid range)
>R7 2700X - Best gaming CPU / VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (High end)
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: HPIM1151.jpg (1600x1200, 420K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/gps68Y
youtube.com/watch?v=m6RWEnUsLSY
pcpartpicker.com/list/rBBQD2
geizhals.at/?cat=ramddr3&xf=439_dual~5828_DDR4~5830_UDIMM1~5831_DIMM&asuch=G.Skill&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&filter=aktualisieren&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p&bl1_id=30
youtube.com/watch?v=xb_rzXHRwg0
pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/22sd6h
pcpartpicker.com/list/c3zmkd
pcpartpicker.com/list/3D4F8Y
pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/nwJWXL
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
youtube.com/watch?v=o9ImB56BkY8
ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GTX-1070-Video-Card-DirectX-12-GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD-R2-8GB-GDDR5-/173305709591
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're early, cunt. Old thread hasn't hit its bump limit

More reasonable CPU recommendations for all build levels

>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G5400 - HTPC, web browsing, or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 2600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 2600 for multithread perf)
>R7 2700 / i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

Attached: perfrel_1920_1080.png (500x970, 47K)

Attached: perfdollar.png (500x970, 53K)

Old thread is now at its bump limit You were 12 minutes too early. Don't let it happen again

Reposting ebin build here for advice:

pcpartpicker.com/list/gps68Y

Eat shit shill

Get fucked, cunt.

consider getting better quality RAM since you're going for high end Ryzen

watch the benchmarks here: youtube.com/watch?v=m6RWEnUsLSY

Stuff that dual core meme cpu down your ass where your head is.

About 3% percent worse than the R3 2200G at gaming. I guess the 2200G is a meme, too, eh? Anyway with a 1050, either one will be bottlenecked.

not him but is there a single difference between g.skill's flarex stuff and their trident z rgb stuff if they are both 3200CL14?

check if its single vs dual rank. cl14 is usually the good quality samsung b-die ram, from what i've read.

I keep reading "amd loves ram speed" but what about intel?

If I'm going with intel should I settle for 2666mhz or go for 3200?

Context:
Only for gaming, 1080p high fps target
Probably an acer predator monitor for the G-sync
1070 ti
i5-8400

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm probably gonna go with the Trident Z then.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rBBQD2

FX-8350 owner here.
After seeing pic related i've decided its time for an upgrade.
Should I buy the i5-4670 (160€ in aliexpress, mobo included) or the i7 that gets practically the same performance but has twice as many threads?
Upgrading to a DDR4 platform is out of the question considering the cost.

Attached: 5a9d8f20_Performance-Index-CPUs-07-2013-Gaming-pcgh.png (753x995, 53K)

>gayming
>cherry picked shallow fps games that are gpu bound

4 cores >2 cores
Eat shit shill.

better ram will always improve cpu performance by a few percent, but i think amd ryzen benefits more than most. something to do with core to core communication speed being tied to ram latency, due to the way they designed the cpu

You're right, 4 cores do cost way more than 2 cores for the same perf. Hence, your stupidity.

That's a super old benchmark. The FX perf is slightly better these days, on average about like a Haswell i5 or slightly less, although some games definitely hate the FX CPUs, like PUBG. Definitely don't get the i5 4670. That's a sidegrade unless you're building around a particular game that would much rather have the i5.

In my opinion if you can't get a modern platform, wait to upgrade. Intel will probably have 4c/8t i3s out next. Extremely cheap with amazing performance if the 7700K is anything to go by.

If you're getting the i5 8400, you'll probably want a B360 mobo, which means that the most it can run is 2666. If you're getting a Z370 for some reason, obviously get faster RAM.

Get sick of cancer, shill.

>recommending G5400
dumb shill

>pcpartpicker.com/list/gps68Y
Get 280gb 900p Optane instead.

2200G or 2400G is perfectly good for stuff like LoL and Overwatch.

Lmfao it's nearly half as bad in some games like Kingdom Come Deliverence and other newer titles. Can't even keep above 30fps in a lot of titles.
G4560 was okay when the alternative was a 2 core i3, there was no 2200G, and there weren't more newer CPU intensive titles coming out. It's a retarded buy now.

I don't think any G.skill DDR4 are dual rank, are they? It's mostly Crucial that makes decent dual rank RAM now days.

Oh right, their 3200 CL14 RGB modules are at an absolutely insane price. geizhals.at/?cat=ramddr3&xf=439_dual~5828_DDR4~5830_UDIMM1~5831_DIMM&asuch=G.Skill&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&filter=aktualisieren&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p&bl1_id=30

You should be doing 3200 on Intel as well, yes. Ryzen slightly favors frequency and Intel slightly favors true latency but both like speed and low true latency.
There are some games where faster RAM improves things more on Intel than AMD.

You should not upgrade to anything less than a 4790k. That chart also looks INCREDIBLY old and outdated. It's on a Titan and at 720p.
If you disable half the odd or even cores on the 8350k doesn't it roughly match a 4670k due to the higher FPU IPC...? Or was that actually fixed in Window's scheduler?

>>R7 2700X - Best gaming CPU
Who made this shit? It's common knowledge the top tier i7 spanks any competition when not gpu bottlenecked. Love or hate it but it's the truth.

Tom's Hardware says the 2700X is the best and they're Intel shills so

Anons kept complaining about delidding and that most people don't OC so eventually op just took it out eventually

And literally every website I've ever seen has the i7 as a superior gaming performer when not gpu bottlenecked. Only some retard would think otherwise (I hope you're not within that category). Also toms hardware gave it it's recommended score based on all roundedness.

Can I get some help here?

Wendel was also having no trouble getting 4.5GHz PB2 overclock on his 2700X either. youtube.com/watch?v=xb_rzXHRwg0

Gaming at 1080p on a 1080ti is pretty retarded.
90+fps is good considering most game engines simply aren't capable of 144fps even with a 5.2GHz 8700k and a 1080ti.

Even if you put on some VRM heatsinks, and shaved them down to fit, there's not airflow through there to make much use of them..

But the hot bits are the black mosfets right near the chokes.
Get a $12 thermal gun, man.

>That chart also looks INCREDIBLY old
its from mid 2013.
i play old games mainly and dont have the money to upgrade to DDR4 atm.
how long will it take for RAM prices to drop? i dont want to stay with this shitty system for 2 more years, and the best i5 from the LGA1150 socket probably beats mid-range current gen from ryzen or intel...

Just upgraded an old build (thanks to all who helped in previous threads). We put $650 into it (new CPU, GPU, mobo, SSD, and RAM)

How did we do? Pic related.

Attached: pc upgrade3.png (1026x894, 88K)

Better SSD.
Could go 900p Optane using your StoreMi.

Also you paid a lot for a 1050Ti. You could have gotten an RX570 4GB for $200 which is about 50% faster.

Oh nvm.. you JUST got that tiny SSD. You could have gotten 480GB for $80. Idk man. Guess I missed your posts and you were too impulsive and someone stupid helped you.

Even if the games you play are old, scheduler updates did improve Bulldozer perf.
>how long will it take for RAM prices to drop
No one knows.

The rx 570 is 250 and it's not even in stock most places

The SSD was last minute and put the build over-budget but the client agreed that the additional $40 for it was worth the price.
Regarding the RX570, two things: first, client specified all parts have to be sourced from Amazon (gift cards I imagine) and that puts it clearly out of the budget, and 2nd, driver support for Radeon cards isn't as robust as nVidia cards when using Linux, which the machine will occasionally be using in VMs.

Out of "arguments" again, are we? You'll probably be the one with cancer since I eat health and exercise, unlike your fat ass

>Tom's Hardware says the 2700X is the best
Lying again. They said it was best all around, not best gaming.

Oh he's definitely a retard.

>best i5 from the LGA1150 socket probably beats mid-range current gen from ryzen or intel...
Definitely not. An i3 8100 is a 4c/4t CPU with a slightly better arch than a Haswell 4c/4t i5

Eh, 4/10. CPU is overkill for the graphics card, mobo is expensive, the SSD is small, and if you actually paid 170USD for that monitor recently, you are retarded. Should have spent way less on the CPU/mobo and bought a better graphics card

>client
Holy shit, he got ripped off.

RX 570 4GB is $399 AUD or RX 580 8GB is $560 AUD
wat do?

While the CPU and mobo are higher-end than the GPU he said that he wants to upgrade to a newer GPU in about a year or so, I figured that a 1050ti would be fine in the interim for what he wants. Again the SSD was last minute, he wasn't even going to get one but $40 for a fast boot drive was something he wanted but lower on his list. Finally, he paid $130 for the monitor but the sale ended.
>client
he is paying me in beer, easier to explain by saying "client" rather than "friend who has money and needs help."

1060 6gb desu

$230 on Newegg earlier today, unless it's out of stock again.
-15% in discounts puts it under $200.

Title was "best gaming CPUs".

uhhh how are those prices compared to RX560, GTX 1050, 1050Ti, and 1060 6GB?

reminder

Attached: 2jdu28hw9dh.png (120x90, 3K)

>superpower by 2020

Is a 5ghz 8700k better than a 2700x with pbo2 when it comes to recording/streaming vidya?

Whats the most powerful CPU that uses DDR3 ram? i7 i assume

No.

5820k maybe? Or wasn't there a 6 core Xeon W?

based r/amd poster

Shit, the pajeets are smarter than you

Hey guys, I got a GeForce GTX 970. What should I upgrade that to?

>just had to emergency order a NH-U12S because I strongly suspect my Enermax TR4 360's pump failed
>sitting at 60c just with a couple of waterfox tabs open and nothing else right now

Attached: 1490372671804.jpg (248x251, 15K)

Thanks user, read some stuff and I think I learned some things. The ferrite chokes are the gray things with the 3 x 3 grid of letters; the mosfets the two tone black eraser looking things without the feet?
It's a thin laptop with an aluminum bottom, so I figured I could put the heat there. It's not overheating or anything, just my first "nice" laptop so I wanted to go the whole nine yards. Even went and got Kryonaut on the heatsink.

A GTX 1170 and a monitor like the $400 1440p MSI Optix

Depends on the game, but streaming probably the 2700X. If you're actually trying to start streaming you need a gaming PC and a streaming PC. For instance chocotaco has an i7 gaming PC and a TR streaming PC

Why would you need an upgrade from that? You wont get a substantial change for the money.

>amd poster
>clearly says intel in the CPU fan in the pic

you morons that insist on using watercooling deserve all the bad things that happen to you

Thanks, champ.

>Lmfao it's nearly half as bad in some games like Kingdom Come Deliverence and other newer titles. Can't even keep above 30fps in a lot of titles.
False. i3 6100 < G5400

Attached: kcd cpu.png (915x835, 79K)

>Lmfao it's nearly half as bad in some games like Kingdom Come Deliverence and other newer titles. Can't even keep above 30fps in a lot of titles.
False, G5400 is better than the 2200G in the new, just released Total War
i3 6100 < G5400

Attached: twb cpu.png (905x858, 79K)

I'm not trying to be a famous streamer with a 1080p60fps stream, I want to be able to record/stream in case something entertaining happens so I can rewatch it or send it to my friends.
Most of what I'm planning to play benefits from single core performance, but I'm not sure if the oc'd 8700k will be able to keep it's advantage or stay equal to a 2700x with pbo2 enabled when you start recording/streaming on the same pc that you're playing on. Would the 2700x's better multicore performance make it take less of a hit while doing that?

Recording video is done using the graphics card (e.g., Shadowplay). It's the transcoding for twitch that requires the CPU

>I'm not trying to be a famous streamer with a 1080p60fps stream, I want to be able to record/stream in case something entertaining happens so I can rewatch it or send it to my friends.
I record some of my for honor gameplay with in nvidia shadow works in a

i5-4440
8gb ram
gtx 1060 3gb

you don't need much unless your livestreaming I think.

OK fellas, my 970 crashed when loading up pubg the other day and from then on it has emitted a strong burning smell. Ran valley, temps are fine, load is above average.

What are my options here? Really don't want to buy some overinflated cards like 1060/580 when 970s are more than enough for 1080p.

Do I have to stop scrooging

Attached: image.jpg (384x384, 47K)

Not quite building, but figured I'd ask here.
Need to clean install over my old win7 ultimate for a few reasons. Figured I'd give enterprise with mstoolkit kms a try. This SHA1 is legit, right?

Attached: SHA1 trips spam filter.png (320x17, 1K)

If your filename is en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677651.iso, then yes.

>my 970 crashed when loading up pubg
>pubg
good. But are you sure it's the gpu thats stinking and not something else?

just get 10 1803 and activate it with ms toolkit, will put you on enterprise

100% GPU. Removed it and it's definitely the source of the smell

Here's my 2600X, 1080p build for under $1k for anyone who is looking for that.
>pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/22sd6h
You can save some more on a cheaper PSU, but that's a good PSU and it's on sale now.
May need to update BIOS, but you can update that board's BIOS without a CPU. You just need a USB flash drive.
You could also replace the SSD with 280gb optane+hdd if you need lots of fast storage. Current 500GB SSD prices are great but 1TB ones are a bit high.
Night anons.

That sucks, user.

Yes, chokes are typically grey and the largest non-plastic components on a board, and in your case have that 3x3 grid of letters.
Mosets are black, and USUALLY have text on them but yours don't seem to.. but mosfets are like always right by the chokes.
Also mosfets always have pins ONLY on one side, and the other side is always flat or a bar (where it's soldered to the board).
There will also be a mosfet driver with pins on both side near the mosfet transistors.

You have some black rectangles in a group of four to the left of the blower but I really have no clue what those are... you might be able to read a model number off them to google.

When putting together a gaming computer what am I suppose to look for in a motherboard? Or does all that matter is the ram and CPU it supports?

But it's still working? It just smells like shit?

Garbage build

Fixed: pcpartpicker.com/list/c3zmkd

Yep.
I was thinking about that too, but I'm still on the fence with 10.

>Or does all that matter is the ram and CPU it supports?
that's all unless your buying a high-end cpu as intel needs better vrm's(a part of the mobo) to get it's full performance or for overclocking. As well as to stop your mobo from breaking earlier.

the vrm is a Volt regulator Module, I think. So your high-end cpu's tend to eat more power and need higher voltages so if your mobo is shit it'll fry because they put cheap vrm's on budget mobo's even if the mobo's are from top rank manufacturers

>Fixed: pcpartpicker.com/list/c3zmkd
those pop-tarts sure do bring out the full performance. Excellent build user
>pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/22sd6h
What were you thinking user....
Excellent though

>scheduler updates
what do you mean? isn't a CPU something that can't be updated? i dont know much about schedulers or anything like that
>An i3 8100 is a 4c/4t CPU with a slightly better arch than a Haswell 4c/4t i5
slightly better overall performance and worse performance per core. but still, its way more expensive to buy when you go from DDR3 to DDR4. the RAM factor alone makes the older i5 a better deal.

>scheduler updates
I think he means windows updates.

So I'd get better performance ingame while streaming with a 2700x, but recording with a 8700k would be better than with a 2700x?

what would be a healthy voltage for ryzen 2600?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/c3zmkd
Oh hey, I remember you. I hope you're well.

I mean it's volts*amps=watts. And watts makes the heat and lowers efficiency.
1.4v on a 2600 isn't the same as 1.4v on a 2800.

Bulldozer is unique in that it is 4 "modules, 8 cores.
The module has a cache controller, hardware scheduler, instruction decoder, etc, but then the cores divide up the FPUs and other shit.
Then you have Windows which has a SOFTWARE scheduler which decides which cores to assign threads on.
Well Windows updating to mostly keep threads from the same program spreading across the modules instead of all cores helped a lot.
But games can still override default Windows scheduling and force 8 threads to be created on each core even if they're FPU heavy and there will be a massive performance penalty on bulldozer. GTAV does this and is notoriously poorly performing on Bulldozer.

Opposite. Streamer side on 8700k will be better. Viewer side (which is the important part) will be better on a 2700X.
What that user said is a misnomer. Nvidia and AMD both have recording that can be done on their GPUs but they aren't high enough quality for something that gets reencoded like twitch does, so streaming to twitch should be done on CPU so your stream isn't unwatchable bad quality.

Pop tart diet keeps me ahead of the pack.

Trying to improve airflow and reduce dust in my case, I have a 140mm on the bottom from, 140mm on the mid/front bottom, h80i exhausting out the rear and two fans up top (140mm and 120mm) pretty sure those are superfluous but im trying everything right now

My biggest issue right now is two 140mm fan holes in the side of the case letting in dust and letting out air

tl;dr would it be worth it to get cover plates

Bottom front rather

Go to the store and buy some programming socks and stockings and use the stockings to filter dust.

>I mean it's volts*amps=watts. And watts makes the heat and lowers efficiency.
>1.4v on a 2600 isn't the same as 1.4v on a 2800.
Ayo. All's I know is you'll want a beeter vrm on your mobo if your getting high-end cpu. It's what they all preach

Can I get some guidance for a poverty build?
The machine I'm on right now lags on 720p content and it feels like pouring salt onto my wounds. My goal is to play games (OW, Fortnite) at least 30fps on medium settings, with a budget of $300.

I can salvage 6gb ddr3 and my hdd from my current machine, but there's little else that will be relevant or good.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3D4F8Y

Pick your own case though, this one is for memes

posting specs could make your current bottleneck more obvious

2200G will do double that (as in, 60fps) but it's going to be more around $425.

pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/nwJWXL
You can skimp on the SSD and get a HDD instead, but it's just not worth what you lose.

It's probably best off that you try to sell what you have. I'm guessing your PSU and stuff is trash too if you can't even do 720p 30fps in Overwatch.

>500GB SSD most costly thing
>slow RAM for an already bandwidth starved iGPU
This is the opposite of a poverty build.
Surely he could salvage his HDD.

>slow ram
Look at the voltage and the rest of the specs. IF you knew half a shit about choosing RAM, you'd already recognize that model, too.

But yes, maybe he could salvage his HDD and that drops it close to $300. But SSD are super nice.
If SU650 are still on sale, that's like $80 for 500GB. But I couldn't be bothered to edit the build.

>>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
>pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
This isn't working for my Ryzen 2700x and XVII. Has anyone been able to install Windows 7 on those parts yet? I might try to buy a PS/2 keyboard/mouse later today to see if I can get past the language installation.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/3D4F8Y
That shit RAM is almost surely not going to run at the advertised speed on a 2200G.
It's better to get actual good 1.2v RAM and manually overclock. And APUs like dual rank. You can get highly rated RAM and get it to run, but only quality RAM, which is expensive.

>AMD FX series processors have each pair of cores share a FPU/cache
If I disable each 2nd core in a FX processor, will i get better single-threaded performance ?

Attached: piledriver-600x281.jpg (600x281, 40K)

You buy a Ryzen

Yes. AMD had to release a hotfix to do just that. Windows should primarily use cores 0,2,4,6 and park the rest until you go past needing 4.

Anyone?

Did you use your USB2 or your USB3 ports to try and install it? USB3 doesn't work natively on W7.

I tried using my USB2 port on my VII but I still couldn't move my mouse or use the keyboard on the install screen. Same issue when I tried disabling xHCI in the BIOS. I'm starting to wonder if I have to buy a PS2 mouse/keyboard since my MOBO has an outlet for that. I'm not sure what else I can do besides trying PS2.

Have you tried injecting the USB3 drivers into the W7 image before installing it? I've never tried it myself but I know you can do that,

I did try that but no luck. I followed this video:youtube.com/watch?v=o9ImB56BkY8

ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GTX-1070-Video-Card-DirectX-12-GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD-R2-8GB-GDDR5-/173305709591
Would you buy it?

I'd just give up and install 8.1. But maybe PS/2 is the solution