/ctg/ - Coffee Technology General

No technology runs without coffee, let's discuss our favourite refreshing drink!

Beans or preground?
Espresso machine with grinder or french press?
Manual grinder and boiler or full automatic machine?
Why are capsule plebs disgusting?
Is Dolce Gusto even a coffee system?

Attached: CP-Lifestyle_non-cropped_2048x.jpg (2048x1365, 488K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Coffee/wiki/index
moyeecoffee.com/blockchain-concept/
mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/are-there-ground-up-cockroaches-in-your-coffee
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pic related or espresso machine, can't drink anything else since italian. Preground, thinking about buying a grinder.

Attached: Pezzetti-Moka-Pot-14-Cup-Silver.png (530x530, 109K)

pour over for life. Get youself some local roasted beans, grind not-too-fine (don't worry about measuring/weighing that's for fags), and then pour over with not quite boiling water. Perfect cup every time.

Also I like this general, feels comfy

Energy drinks are better.

Just got pic related in the mail. V60 + LIDO3 is master race

Attached: DSC_0002b.jpg (666x1000, 214K)

How do I get started into proper coffee lads? This general isn't complete without a guide.

reddit.com/r/Coffee/wiki/index

inb4 reddit

The only thing reddit is useful for, finding obsessives and stealing their guides.

Pour over for sure. There’s something about being in control of everything when it comes to making a nice cup of Joe.

It all starts with knowing a good roaster.

Recently moved to a hand grinder and bought the Fellow Stagg EKG+. Perfectly balances and makes for a nice morning ritual on the weekends when I have a little more time. Almost my way of meditation.

Together with the Acaia scale, I can share my techniques. I don’t nerd out about a lot of things but coffee is one thing that if done right you can taste the fruits of your labor right away.

Good taste is hard to come by these days. Who cares if you come off as a pretentious idiot, at least you’re not being told what’s good and what isn’t.

GF has those pre-measured instant coffee packets with creamer and sugar from asian section of grocery store, not bad and sometimes i grab them. Im usually one for ground coffee in a perker - everything from the cheap shit in dollar stores and WalMart, to the high end stuff the coffee shop here roasts in house. ATM, though, im drinking black currant tea.

I do french press. Local shop has Illy blend beans and got a cheap manual grinder from Müller.
The whole set costs less than €30. Set up the grinder by a few turns, not too fine, water almost boiling, leaving it for ~2 minutes then press once, pour and serve.
Cheap, satisfying, full control over the brew, perfect cup every time.

I drink 2 cans of monster every day, get fucked coffee plebs

Enjoy your cancer and hear failure

*heart failure

I use a 6 cup bialetti moka pot. One batch produces enough for two coffees.
I also have a french press that holds enough volume for 3 full cups and sometimes I make coffee and other times I make tea. Any leftover tea/coffee I turn into iced tea/iced coffee.

I use Vittoria Coffee beans and preground. Been thinking about buying some other brands to tryout.

Attached: images (3).jpg (344x355, 11K)

people hype this shit up to ridiculous levels, i own one and it brews weak battery acid tasting shit

Then you use shit coffee, this thing is not at fault here. Unless you bought it from someone who stored battery acid in it.

you're overbrewing it if it tastes like acid. I didn't like it at first until i practised more on my technique

follow the directions - it's not supposed to taste like that.

i love this thing like a brother.
i wish they'd make one from pyrex though

Attached: 41eULbaUatL._SX450_.jpg (450x442, 27K)

>Not taking the pure form of the white pill.

Step up subhuman scum.

Attached: 750902102226.jpg (1500x1500, 169K)

Enjoy your heart failure

Maxwell ground coffee and a french press. Hate me.

thanks

This thread is not a hating. It is a comfying

Isn't this basically a faster French Press?

pretty much, but the rubber plunger allows a little pressure to build up, not quite enough PSI for a real espresso, but the taste is close

And for single cup only. Regular french press is better, I keep a 3 cup and an 8 cup one for larger servings.

Have a Bialetti 4 and 6 cup and grind my beans with this grinder.
I usually use Lavazza red

Attached: 61q-mNkZHqL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 13K)

italiano here too. I recently started to appreciate "American style" coffee too.

The fact is that the moka sould be the best method to extract flavor from coffee (the water temperature reached with just boiling it is not sufficient), but is too much easy to extract substance that are not good in sense of flavor.

Also American style coffee has more caffeine and I can smoke while drinking it, and it's heaven

I only drink water :)

This is how I coffee.

Attached: buttercaf.jpg (640x480, 37K)

I have to try this. Next morning. Or now with decaf.

I also want to try it.
But I'm too scared I might like it.

My brothers.

I just grind beans with hand grinder and then I just pour it with hot not boiling water. Feels pretty good senpai

Is blockchain coffee a meme?
moyeecoffee.com/blockchain-concept/

The fuck are you buying, that Lavazza shit?
Buy real coffee from Coffe&Factory or whatever,
and learn to set an appropriate heat level so the coffee doesn't come out too slow or too fast, but just perfect with natural froth as its coming out.
Then it won't taste like acid you stupid nigger.
I've been boiling coffee on both fire and on electric plates and it was always fine in either case though i prefer plates as coffee is impossible to burn that way.

10-12 oz of fresh coffee
1 tbsp grass fed butter, kerrygold is best
1 tbsp of coconut oil, unfiltered for more flavor
Blender works best.

I don't have blender so I use a drink shaker and it works good enough.

Attached: cococafe.jpg (680x453, 79K)

Get a nice burr grinder for the moka. Its how I have my coffee every day 'americano'-style with a bit of hot water.

Yes, it is shit because the water is too hot.

>coffee
pick related is you
who modafinil + amphetamine stack here?
i dont give a fuckķkkkk

Attached: 1517021410730.gif (413x243, 51K)

15 € double-walled stainless steel french press from aliexpress ftw

i tried ginding beans myself but found it not worth the effort compared to preground

coffee hipsters should be gassed just like beer/whiskey/other hipster hobbyists

>tried ginding beans myself but found it not worth the effort

This is how we know you have shit sense of taste.

Holy shit it's good! Thank you good sir for the tip!

Have to try this one out later as well

Bulletproof coffee is basically Keto coffee, so it's also healthy and improves your liver function if you cut carbohydrates out of your diet to a maximum of 30 grams a day.
That can also be your measurement hint of calculating how much butter to use in your coffee.

Yea it's pretty much a game changer. Enjoy.

Got a Keurig commercial model for free. I got one of those reusable cups and have been making really damn good tea and coffee. Probably not as good as you french press and moka guys but I am expending way less effort. I will say though that the pump can be heard from across the house and the boiler sounds like a rocket liftoff.

You can't make good coffee from bad beans, self grinding or not. You have to buy the good stuff and grind it yourself.
Also if you grind too fast you can burn the coffee and make it sour or just generally shit, so be careful. My experience shows one turn per second gives you good speed while not fast enough to burn the coffee.

I bought a good grinder and alternate between using a French Press or Aeropress.

It's good stuff. I love the taste of coffee.

Bought an espresso machine not long time ago, and shit, does the result taste great. Now I'm alternating between that and a moka.
The only thing I hate is that the filter has to be freed from coffee every other week (I'm talking needles), but using a less fine ground tastes like dirty water, and I like my coffee thick.

Gotta love this, using Folgers coffee, this thing makes everything taste way better.
Dolce Gusto tastes good but ain't as this

Attached: talega.jpg (337x450, 37K)

is this the thread where we LARP about being developers while we sit in cafes looking for jobs and coding up fizzbuzz?

This shit is great, especially when on a low carb diet. Perfect breakfast replacement tbqh.

Attached: 1525631863667.jpg (1200x900, 86K)

No this is the tread where we LARP about being developers while we drink our coffee at home.

For sure. I usually drink them early in the morning and don't get hungry till noon or later. I gives me more energy than plain coffee. I think coconut oil is good for brain function too.

Attached: Coffee-Compass.jpg (1024x1024, 133K)

Into the oven with you.

Attached: 20180508_080700.png (1080x1078, 1.19M)

sorry for the insta filter shit. This was a pic I did for my friend's coffee company's insta page of my machine.

>Beans or preground?
Most often preground though I do own a nice grinder.
>Espresso machine with grinder or french press?
Both are for plebs like every other (((coffee maker))) I use a pot of water and make cowboy coffee every morning just like John Wayne did.
>Manual grinder and boiler or full automatic machine?
Literally worthless tech doomed to a future at the Goodwill before becoming landfill fodder.
>Why are capsule plebs disgusting?
Because prepackaged anything is trash.
>Is Dolce Gusto even a coffee system?
Dolce Gusto? WTF even is that? Sounds like an Italian made dildo.

This is fucking fagshit. The only variables that matter are time and size.
Too strong, add water. Too many particulates, increase size or decrease filter size.

I can agree that monster tastes good, but it contains so much garbage that you should really limit your consumption to once or twice a week.

No, pic related is you having a psychotic break on day 3 of your stim binge.
From what I understand, Modafinil isn't that bad for you, but amphetamines are neurotoxic and just overall awful.

Heat matters too.

Dumping boiling water over your grounds is going to result in a much harsher flavor than 170F water.
Cold brew, for example, tastes different because the heat is very low but the time is very long.

>Beans or preground?
if you ever buy preground coffee you're a fucking retarded cuck, you can argue all you want about methods of brewing, but there is not a single fucking argument for buying preground coffee unless you're poor (in which case buy a cheap hand grinder you piece of shit)

heat absolutely matters, if what you said was true there would be no point to cold brew and cold brew tastes radically different than methods using high heat

>Beans or preground?
Beans, unless you enjoy cockroach parts in your morning beverage:
mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/are-there-ground-up-cockroaches-in-your-coffee

>Espresso machine with grinder or french press?
French press is nice for a full consistent beverage, I use mine every morning

>Manual grinder and boiler or full automatic machine?
Literally no point to a manual grinder.

>Why are capsule plebs disgusting?
Spending $.50 + cost of machine for a cup of meh coffee that takes almost as long as doing it yourself.
It's for people who have no inkling of taste or economics.

>Is Dolce Gusto even a coffee system?
It's packaged sadness.

Who use chemex

I have a ceramic funnel thing. It sits on top of a mug. I put a paper cone in the ceramic cone. Then I dump a couple spoonfulls of beans in, dump a cup of hot water over those, and wait 30 seconds.

Tastes alright. Zero maintenance. Works with grocery store pre-ground coffee just fine. Almost no cleaning (toss the filter and rinse the funnel). Takes just a little longer than waiting for a jeurig to get going. If you want to be a snob and spend an inordinate amount of time and money on coffee, you can, but you don't have to. Someone inevitably complains about pouring hot water over coffee being too hard. Pourover is the UNIX of coffee making.

On the other hand, french presses are the Arch Linux of coffee making
>no you have to pacman -Syyyu every day
>Oh crap you weren't thorough enough in double checking your conf files
>Looks like there's a library conflict with harfbuzz and now X won't start
>THE MAINTENANCE ADDS CHARACTER
>YOU'RE NOT A REAL HACKER IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS
>vs
>You have to take the time to clean it thoroughly every time
>Must be attended lest it overbrew really fucking badly like you can not fuck up a pourover unless you use too much water to not enough coffee (protip: 1tbs/4oz) but you can make some really nasty french press coffee
>Need a special coarse grind you have to have ground yourself, because it's so rarely sold pre-ground
>THE MUD ADDS CHARACTER
>YOU'RE AN INFERIOR COFFEE ENTHUSIAST IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THIS

Attached: 1482902535708.png (1028x941, 1.04M)

You got only french press ?

I sadly don't have room for much else.

Do you know Chemex ? I don't know what to buy for another coffee maker
Which french press do you have ?

It's just a flask, man.

Use one of these like a normal person.

Attached: 26ace972-f83e-4138-a77c-cbf9830b40b2.jpg._CB318754845__SL300__.jpg (300x300, 6K)

I brew Black Rifle coffee. Sometimes I'll mix it with Folgers black silk dark roast. I have an electric perculator maker, but honestly it brews coffee way weak unless I barely add water. My daily use, never let me down machine is literally a $25 Black and Decker standard drip pot I bought like 5 years ago. The water reservoir is removable for easy filling. Brews in 10 minutes. Brews strong.

Pic related. My coffee.

Attached: CAH_31af0485-bb71-454b-b375-145395e7caa0_large.jpg (480x480, 16K)

>10 minutes for a pot of coffee

Normies.

Where do you buy the lido ?

Yup. I'm a coffee normie and proud. Keep all your fancy shit, which I'm sure is totally worth the cost and hassle. Drip pot + top tier coffee is all I need.

Why normal person, chemex is not for a normal person ?

>Cost

$5 pack of filters every 3 months
Coffee maker itself was $8 at the department store and takes maybe two minutes to operate, microwaving the water included
This is my setup. Stay bloated.

Attached: IMG_20180507_181557.jpg (2034x1146, 1.05M)

microwaving water....fuck me, you Americans.

>oi m8 buy a separate appliance to heat water

My process:
Local, freshly roasted coffee beans
Barzata Virtuoso Grinder
Electric temperature controlled gooseneck kettle
Precision electric scale
Chemex pour over
Unbleached paper filters

1) Scale out coffee at 1g per 16g of water.

2) Heat water, rinse filter in chemex, discard water

3) Grind beans at 30-32 on my Virtuoso for 833ml of coffee

4) Begin pour at 211f to account for temperature drop as grinds are contacted.

5) Pre infuse 3x coffee weight in water and allow to bloom for 40 seconds.

6) Continue spiral pouring until all water is added by 2m 30s

7) Time brew to ensure it completes in 4m to 5m

8) Enjoy spectacular coffee.

Espresso machine with electric grinder.

I went with this common semi-cheap setup a bunch of years ago. Easy and nice enough.

Attached: 2813_original_classic_vario_metal.jpg (800x800, 47K)

I've got the same grinder

>He brews a single cup at a time
Lol.

What, you don't have a fucking stove top? How the fuck do you cook?

I like making cold brew

>He drinks more than one cup a day
Lol.

With a stovetop. What else? Why are you heating water on a stovetop? It takes forever and doesn't actually change the properties of the water significantly, concentrating impurities if anything. Hot water is hot water. This only really matters if you're heating a teabag in a mug because the water is not heated evenly, but if you heat a mug for two minutes and pour it into another mug it's the same thing but faster.

I think it is a pretty great grinder. Fast & the timer does okay for getting a known dosage into a portafilter (or grinding whatever quantity of loose grounds you need). I don't see myself replacing it soon.

What machine did you go with?

Are Li-ion drill battery powered coffee makers are worth it?

Better manual or electric grinder ?

I don't think so myself, but if its the only reasonable way you can get coffee on your job and a sippy (zojirushi or thermos or whatever) insulated 0.5 liter or bigger can won't suffice, eh why not.

How many water/coffee for 833ml

>HOT WATER ON PLASTIC

ENJOY UR AIDS

EVERYTHING THEY SUBSTITUTE FOR BPA-FREE IS EVEN WORSE THAN BPA

See for a good electric grinder. You could get something cheaper if you need to, but it makes life as a coffee drinker easier & doesn't cost all that much anyhow.

This

Attached: 20170321_090233.jpg (4032x3024, 3.8M)

There is a difference for the coffee is you use electric or not ?

Attached: 20170224_130421.jpg (2016x1134, 817K)

You can make 3 servings in an Aeropress, the founder even uploaded a video on how to do it on the youtube channel

Basically just add more grounds and water and press slowly, and you have a larger shot you can split between cups or water down