How Hard Is It To Get Into An Elite CS PhD Program?

I want to know what type of chances the typical applicant (high GPA high GRE) would have. Is it still a gamble?

Attached: funnymath.jpg (610x561, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/cdRj3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences
cs.cornell.edu/~bindel/vita.html
businessinsider.com/black-lives-matter-stanford-application-2017-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Diversity is our strength. Why would anyone want 59 students who all think the same way?

This is good, why would anyone complain? The admissions committee know what they're doing and chose the best applicants available this round.

I'm not saying they didn't. I am just trying to figure out how hard it is to get in for a qualified applicant!

Attached: hmm.jpg (623x141, 33K)

The entire sum of a person being boiled down to just their race on some cuck's diversity checklist.

What a world we live in.

I'm half Indian half Malaysian and I am brown as fuck. Why am I a white guy according to people like Bindel?

I feel so sorry for you, user, must be tough

>cornell
not a real ivy

I feel so sorry for you, user, must be confusing.

>we did not get 5 applicants
Did they just pick some random black person and gave them a phd? What the fuck?

I'm an overrepresented minority too. I just fucking hate that we are lumped in with white people.

>asserts people use skin color to think, not their brains
Among 59 white men, no two think the same way.
In US it's increasingly harder if you're not a "marginalized group" - basically if you're white or asian. Rutgers and CMU still don't do this bullshit though and they both have very good CS PhD programmes.
Oxbridge still asesses PhD applicants based on their knowledge. Edinburgh too.
ÉNS and other better french unis are stupid hard to get into and harder to stay in (you take competitive exams together with mathematicians and physicists which determine who will want you in his team).
MIPT and MSU are about as hard to get to as ÉNS, but once you're in you already have an advisor, it's just the workload that kills most students who come to these unis from abroad.

>Among 59 white men
uhmm no sweetie, half of the places are guaranteed for women and minorities. your statement should only count on it.

Do you have a problem with that? Are you some sort of racist or something?

Surely it is better than having 38 students who think the same and 21 that don't think.

Yeah feels real shitty actually being judged on your performance doesnt it Chang? Or should I say Pajeet?

where does he even mention anything about white people? he talks about diversity... I assume there are lots of asians and indians, and not many women, hispanics and blacks.

>not a single transgender
what a letdown

archive.fo/cdRj3

>Among 59 white men, no two think the same way.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences

Its not really a big deal anyways tbqh especially with tech jobs in such high demand.

There aren't enough programmers if anything! We need more H-1Bs but fucking Trump and his small minded base of bigots.

>Among 59 white men, no two think the same way
t. White man

I'm new to programming, can someone tell me why non-whites, non-asian, and/or women are more desirable programmers? What makes the other applicants less desirable than the other?

Thank god, we dont need poojeets stealing jobs and reducing quality anyway

Whites, asians, hispanics and sometimes westernized indians make good coders. Oh and almost always male. Everything else into the trash.

Here is Bindal's CV: cs.cornell.edu/~bindel/vita.html
I'd say it is safe to assume that he knows more about what makes a good CS researcher than some bitter white boys on /g.

Yeah thats easy mate women can vote, bitch a ton, are easily placated, and easily subverted. Same with non Asian minorities.
Took like 5 years to swing radical women exclusive feminism into the new "men are the same and can be women too."

>look at how many new students we have!
ok
>here's how many of them are minorities, we profiled them instead of just counting everyone the same
I'm legitimately confused as to how people are not offended by this. No difference until you divide them up into named groups. I see how it is.

Asians are pretty subverted except many exiled koreans/vietnames

~ Cornell ~
~ we have more blacks than you ~

CS PhD student here.

I applied to 4 public universities, and 2 accepted me. The bigger you go, the more difficult it will be to be accepted. Letters of recommendation are at least as important as, if not moreso than, your GRE scores. It's helpful to have a professor who likes you, who knows a professor at your target institution. Connections are important.

You probably won't be passed up for by a less qualified minority like you seem to be worried about though. From the pictures you've posted, you'll note the University in question went above their budgeted amount of students to be more diverse, rather than replacing other students. In graduate school, it is quality, rather than quantity that matters. You're going to end up paying the majority of your students to be there, so your want to make sure you generate the most and best quality research.

>(((bindel)))

>choose the best applicants
>choose based on “diversity”
Pick one. It is blatantly obvious they do not pick based on merit when choosing by diversity, and yes, studies have been done on university acceptance to prove this is the case at every university

Holy shit did he just admit to hiring every black person that applied just because they're black?

You're acting like Bindel did nothing.

>half Indian
do you shit on the toilet seat

Is that any surprise? Have you ever seen comparisons of GPAs required by students to get into various universities based on their diversity?
Did you not hear about the sand nigger that wrote nothing but “#blacklivesmatter” 100 times on his Stanford application and got accepted based on his “inspiring passion”
businessinsider.com/black-lives-matter-stanford-application-2017-4

>different colours and genders automatically means thinking differently

You absolute spastic.

Sounds like a problem with America's shitty college system.

Any university worth going to is public here. No university would ever ask what your race is - pretty sure that would be illegal.

shhh, most of Jow Forums is just bitter because they couldn't even hold their own against a pajeet. Why do you think there's no genuine discussion about technology on this board? Nothing but shitflingfests, Apple v. Windows v. Linux v. Android v. iOS and "lol let's make fun of this person that can't do fizzbuzz" because most people here don't actually know shit about technology or CS. Just slightly better than the average person.

So when they get rejected from a CS department or a job, it's easier to blame the blacks & jews than to look introspectively and realize it was their own (lack of) skillset.

>Psychology
>Freud
Oh boy. Empirical evidence over a soft "science" - companies that were behind the most influential innovations were full of white men and indeed most inventions are white mens work. Surely a diversity of thought is needed to innovate. How did white men invent all the stuff if they lack diversity of thought?
Even worse, Jewish who emigrated from Russia.
The incarnation of devil for a modern american who has had everything served on a silver plate.
Your company is going to fail if you restrict the freedom.

so basically 100% acceptance rate for niglets, around 3% for asian/white bois.

meh it's not like CS is a real academic field anyway. i could write a paper now on "Deep Serverless Reinforcement Machines" and be considered a star professor

Money is worth a lot more than academic fame in terms of money.

Attached: equality.png (586x329, 51K)

Attached: walking_lawsuit.png (566x379, 61K)

Why would anyone want to cuck their lives up with more school?
Do you know how expensive Cornell is?
I'm a medfag, going to be 200k in debt and I'm already /cantgetoutofbedwithout200mgofcaffiene/ tier depressed. Im doomed to be a wage slave for the rest of my life

>What makes the other applicants less desirable than the other?
Explain, user.

>mentioning the Rutger in the same sentence as CMU
LMAO

Attached: hm.jpg (582x289, 59K)

>Do you know how expensive Cornell is?
PhD students probably get about 20-30K a year to attend.

>(((Diversity))) means unique and independant viewpoints
>every single nigger and feyminist (((diversity hire))) votes Democrat
Hmmn....

If you're into theory, Rutgers has a very competent math (and physics) department allowing for ambitious cross-disciplinary projects.
They have a team that's been working on a whole new approach to formal verification using tools from algebraic topo for example. Interesting stuff not seen even in the french CS, which is *heavily* focused on theory and especially formal verification.

If you're white, start looking for positions outside the US immediately.

>and 21 that don't think
Kek.
Pretty good, user.

>start looking for positions outside the US immediately.
Like where? Argentina?

Anywhere else, really. I've been hearing good stuff about ETH in Zurich for a CS PhD.

>veiled Jow Forums thread
>losers are butthurt about black people and women applying to a CS class (among 1300 applicants...)
sage goes in all fields

Cornell is the most cucked of all the ivies, you're talking about a college that despite a prestigious reputation allows anyone that gets accepted to design their own custom degree around the softest courses.

Cross this with pass/fail grades rather than actually discriminating on ability and the average Cornell degree is completely indistinguishable from another.

Did he do it for the feminist pussy, /g?

Attached: chad.jpg (611x302, 62K)

if he's so into diversity why won't he step down then
by his own process, the head of admissions would made a better job is it was filled by Latifa

shut up closet racist

Why is he announcing this shit?

>muh loser
>when you don’t have an argument why nigger females with 2.8 GPA deserve university acceptance before white males with 4.0 GPA
>because there is no argument, it’s retarded

Attached: lolclassy.jpg (413x395, 19K)

Why is this bad? Why does someone deserve a position based on academic merit? People have been getting things based on wealth and nepotism forever, and now some cucks let a few blacks and women in to fill a quota and white manlets and crying out injustice as if injustice is something new? I bet you hypocritical fags didn't even speak out against institutional prejudice until it was you that got the short end of the stick.

Attached: Internet.jpg (271x234, 13K)

If he was really committed to diversity he would kill himself and bequeath his job and all his belongings to a strong woman of color or a transperson, anything less is the white privlege of a bigot.

Attached: 30442810_1670578212997156_7021823915193454197_n.jpg (641x859, 48K)

I'm asking what makes women a more desirable hire than a male for example. What is the reasoning?

The greater difference in upbringing, environment, and culture the greater the chance of different perspectives. By combining drastically different perspectives we can arrive at a better idea of the truth, much like measuring the distance of stars via parallax.

There's no point in doing it if you aren't virtue signaling.

>not stating a prior distribution of applicant

Sounds like a shit CS program.

amen

Attached: cb5.jpg (680x689, 41K)

No. do you even know how to read?

Folks you’re missing the real joke here, which is getting a PHD in Computer Science

Let's go kill some niggers. (Maybe CIA-niggers)

I don't get it

He's an autist

So how feasible is it to manage a masters/PhD program while working? I understand an online program would be the easiest route but I'm wary of how the quality of those programs would compare to a traditional school

Masters would be doable with huge sacrifice to your free time and sleep, PhD would be impossible by any practical means

Hmm I'm getting fucked by our CS curriculum. Perhaps I'm a brainlet. Wish we had grade inflation.

>We didn't reject anyone who applied and wasn't a white male.
Good for you?

>Why does someone deserve a position based on academic merit?

Worst bait in the history of baits.

India

>Tech related topic
>don't have any arguments
>call it pol

Don't you sjw ever learn? Your "pol" has as much power in here as "racist/islamophobe/mysoggykneest/etc" in real world.

Simply not true. You can do diploma thesis with the company you work for, given it's accepted. There are plenty of people from Honeywell and RedHat doing their master's in our uni. And there's one guy from Honeywell in PhD program.
The study workload for master's is 30 hours/week which easily fits into your schedule if you're working.
For PhD the only time-consuming mandatory work is teaching and i'm sure you can negotiate time for this with your company. Everything study-related can be done from home, you only need to attend the yearly assblasting of slave- i mean PhD students and seminars your team gives. After your mandatory teaching is done, you only have to show up about twice a month.
This isn't just CS, i know people who did PhD in organic chemistry while working for pharma. If your company does something interesting, you can easily get PhD while working. If you're an average front-end shitter you can't, but an average front-end shitter couldn't get PhD anyway so i'm assuming you're capable and have an appropriate job.

>How Hard Is It To Get Into An Elite CS PhD Program?
Anyone who writes like this shouldn't be able to graduate elementary school.

Are you black? 100% acceptance.

> By combining drastically different perspectives we can arrive at a better idea of the truth, much like measuring the distance of stars via parallax.
Some of the biggest diversity advocates are inspired by a philosophy that rejects object reality. Also Nazis do have different perspectives.

>>No. do you even know how to read?
>59 New students, 5 African-American
>We could not done this previous year -- we did not get 5 African-American apllicants.
Yes I can.

My money is on this guy turning up in a #metoo.

> (((bindel)))

Attached: (((bindel))).jpg (400x400, 17K)

>implying all people of a given demographic think alike.
Liberalism. Not even once.

Attached: diversity is great.jpg (470x449, 67K)

>Among 59 white men, no two think the same way.
Most people from similar groups think the same way. But I agree that it's not right to generalize them together.

>Like where? Argentina?
Fuck off we're full.

Well, you can't become a negro, but becoming a tranny might be the way to go. Plenty of Jow Forums leans that way as is.

Jokes aside, up to and including recent diversity trends, PhD entry is 50% past achievements 50% nepotism.

stop posting this stuff it makes me want to transition

That might be true in braindead activities like politics, where indeed communists (or any other group) think alike, but it's just not true for creative process.
When you let 59 members of the same group design and implement a system, you'll end up with 59 different results. The approaches to both design and implementation will fall into certain categories, but that's not something you can "fix" by including members of different groups - it's simply engineering procedure. If you want to "fix" this, you can do so by hiring incompetent candidates who don't know how to use any tool and see what they come up with (hint: it's shit and on the rare occasion that it's not shit, it's one of the tools your competent candidates already know).

I know this is bait, but

So we should also prioritize people of diverse political or social beliefs, like neo Nazis, incels, and people with autism?

Surely if diversity is our strength, those groups would be damn near the top of the list.

Yep, nazis and incels have a perspective to offer too. Of course people collaborating need to want to collaborate, so it's not a matter of diversity is the only requisite to success/truth, but it helps.

>all engineers/programmers are 'beautiful mind' snowflakes
>what are design patterns, language memes, common architecture

Attached: 1249892990136.jpg (189x200, 11K)

b..but senpai, this is the *bad* kind of nepotism ੨( ・᷄ ︵・᷅ )シ

Attached: pain12.jpg (400x420, 15K)

It's pretty easy to claim to be transgender. I did it for a scholarship essay and I got it. Showed up to the award ceremony looking normal and just told everyone I'm planning to transition right after graduation.