/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: stronk.jpg (1920x864, 298K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Leather-Carbon-fiber-Vinyl-Skin-Stickers-Cover-For-HP-Elitebook-8460P-8470P-14/272203689780?hash=item3f609aaf34:m:mkKTDWUKBjY9Ry1XzaGrCoA
us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/346.22/README/randr14.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1st post?

x220 awesome!

Now that I have the 1st post I would like to expand. The "vintage" lenovo keyboard is not a meme. If can get for example x220 and pimp it, go for it. You won't regret if you are able to appreciate grate typing experience than soon will fade only to be remember by some old and fat fucks on some obscure Chinese cartoons forums.

>Bus door crushed my bag (T430 inside), backlight is dead
what happened to muh magnesium bullet-proof lid?

Displays are still sensible to pressure.

2570p and elitebooks in general are very competetive to thinkpads.

Attached: 1525704498743.jpg (3840x2160, 2.67M)

that's some grade A autism I just read holy shit
but isn't muh magnesium mil-spec chassis supposed to distribute the pressure?

Attached: Screenshot_20180427_231448.png (848x475, 312K)

>what happened to muh magnesium bullet-proof lid?
That's only 20 series and earlier, kek.
But what if I want a backlight keyboard senpai?

Attached: 1525697764655.jpg (900x876, 373K)

you left out the part where they're all 8 pounds, don't have a middle click, the track point sucks and the display somehow manages to be worse than the t420

>display worse than t420
Is such thing even possible ?

>flat chiclet keyboard

>HP
Latitudes are better, apart from Thinkpads

Learn to touch type. You will give yourself a big pat on the back afterwards also how many people have a fucking light on top of the screen? How awesome is that?

apparently so
and this of course

So I went to check on that W701, very clean unit overall, but : 3GB of ram, 1440*900 screen, lowest tier i7, and no webcam? I ended up not getting it, it felt like half a good deal anyway, some stuff is easily replaceable, but I was not sure I could fine a screen upgrade for cheap so I didn't want to rush into it. I'll probably get it for a friend of mine who's looking for a cheap replacement desktop.

Attached: IMG_0244-2.jpg (1500x1125, 692K)

>pounds
>2018
Lol.
2570p weights from 2 to 3 kg, depending on configuration. Of course if you pack to HDDs and 9cell battery it will be heavy.
Which laptop are you talking about?
Which is actually okay. All new thinkpads, elitebooks and latitudes have chiclet keyboards. Deal with it.
For some people - for sure.

The docking station for it is pretty neat though.

Attached: IMG_0245-3.jpg (1500x1125, 728K)

pack two HDDs*

>All new thinkpads, elitebooks and latitudes have chiclet keyboards
And they suck for it.

He also has T410s for 100€, they're in very decent condition, he has a box with like 15 of them, various specs. Not interesting for me, but I found him 2 buyers already.

The OS install is half assed though, as you can see, I guess he just drops an image on them without looking any further.

Attached: IMG_0243-1.jpg (1500x1125, 893K)

SHOULD I GET THIS FOR MY 8470p??
ebay.com/itm/Leather-Carbon-fiber-Vinyl-Skin-Stickers-Cover-For-HP-Elitebook-8460P-8470P-14/272203689780?hash=item3f609aaf34:m:mkKTDWUKBjY9Ry1XzaGrCoA
obviously I would go with the black carbon fiber

I didn't go for nothing either, he was supposed to get me a new palmrest, but ordered the whole top, keyboard and everything included, for the wrong model, the keyboard fits though so I got a new one for free. I also picked up a miniDP -> HDMI adapter for my colleague's W530, free as well.

He has a couple of other thinkpads due for inspection, but couldn't tell me which models yet.

Attached: IMG_0248-4.jpg (1500x1125, 971K)

>All new thinkpads, elitebooks and latitudes have chiclet keyboards.

But AFAIK they aren't FLAT, which is what he was complaining about.

Having flat key surfaces makes it very hard to touch type because you can't feel your way towards the key centers.
I am no fan of chiclet keyboards, but modern Thinkpads at least have decent travel and nicely shaped tops.

How bad is the screen on the 420/430? I'm switching from a 510 to 430.

that's your opinion familia. I have no problem with using this keyboard.
Most of the time my elitebook is docked and I use stationary thinkpad keyboard anyway, and when I'm no the go I prefer having lots of resources to do the job rather than nice keyboard and weak CPU.
I'm not saying elitebooks are objectively better than thinkpads. I'm saying they've got some things ThinkPads/Latitudes do not have, and vice versa.

This is true, Thinkpad chiclets are probably the least bad. Flat surfaces and no travel is really what makes chiclets horrible.

>Having flat key surfaces makes it very hard to touch type
Never had issues with typing on this thing, and I don't ever look at it.
Maybe he needs shaped tops to do that correctly. Meh.

by T410s, do you mean the actual T410s model or the plural of T410

plural

I've just finished modding another T440P with a rare B140HAN01.0 ( AHVA IPS, 300cd/m^2 , 800:1, 16,2M colours (6-bit + FRC) ), an i7 4th Gen MQ @ 37W TDP, added some adhesive copper tape on the inner back cover to supplement the default aluminium tape in areas previously not covered, cleaned with 2-propenol and re-pasted with kryonaut
4K vids play just fine on an external 4K monitor (the quad core i7 with 6MB L3 cache gets enough bandwidth to render those; on the i5 the GPU is per se more than enough (20% load) but it doesn't get enough bw)

Is a T440 an upgrade from a T420? Or downgrade because of shit chiclets?

Downgrade because of more than that...
>chiclet keyboard
>soldered ULV CPU
>shitty trackpad (can be swapped for one with buttons though)
>no ThinkLight!

Attached: ThinkCat21.png (475x472, 445K)

I solely use the Thinkpojnt. I heard it also sucks on the 440

Jokes on u, key actuation is the fucking same.
T440 is shit because of meme soldered U-series processor, 1 soldered 4GB RAM bank, no FHD option ; there's a reason if only T440P gets considered usually
>le thinklight meem
no reason to fall for it if you can have backlit keyboards
>but I use it to read papers while sitting in the dark
yeah, no

Alright boys here are my options
1: X1 carbon 5th gen that was used as a display model at my universities tec store ($500 no warrenty)
2: X1 carbon 4th gen from the same place/brand new in box ($450, 3 year warranty)
3: Refurbished by arrow direct T450s, Grade A condition for $600
What do yall think I should do?

the problem with the *40 series is that there is no dedicated trackpoint buttons, however the trackpad assembly can be swapped with one from the *50 series

I am Canadian. And I'm telling you I paid $150 CAD for a T410 two years ago. It's not a super great price, in my opinion.

To be quite honest, the keyboards on modern Thinkpads are great in terms of feel and mechanics and match the older ones in this regard. The X300 is the only "old" keyboard that I would definitively say is better. Rest comes down to personal taste. For me, the problem is that they have too few keys. I don't necessarily think I'm going to miss the old keyboards per se, but I think I am going to miss having a proper 7-row layout.

The ULV CPU is not really much of an issue because they will all pretty much outperform an equivalent Sandy Bridge model. The complicated part comes if you are comparing it to an xx30 with the Ivy Bridge processors, because then you are trading performance for battery life and power efficiency. In short, the soldered memory bank would be more of a concern than the CPU.

Nice Cat
Here is other cat.

Attached: IMG_20180402_182251_20180404070450721.jpg (1839x2097, 750K)

Nice cat as well.
Here is a GatThinkCat.

Attached: ThinkCat37.jpg (3264x2448, 728K)

Still disappointed x220 and x230 don't have socketted cpus yet the HP equivalents do. Only quad-core option is the i7-3612qe mod but it's too costly to make it worth it.

For this reason, the xx40 series are a fucking steal. All the bashing of the trackpad and the keyboard and the screen hinges (none of which are really major issues) means you can get a fairly solid business laptop for next to nothing. I was looking at replacing my T61 with a T420, but ended up nabbing a T440p instead. For $50 more than the average i5-based T420, I got a machine with an i7-4702MQ and 8 gigs of RAM. Add another $20 for the T450 trackpad and you have yourself a really solid value proposition. Lots of machine for the money.

Aside from the backwards/forwards keys, I don't miss the old keyboard all that much.

"Move one fucking inch before I take the picture. I fucking dare you."

Attached: thinkcat.jpg (4160x3120, 1.26M)

nice finger dumbass.

(what a waste of quads)
get a mac.

>bought something on ebay that's normally $300 for $50
>auction immediately closed
>ebay immediately emails me telling me the account was compromised

What's the point? It's not like you'll get to keep the money, I paid with Paypal.

Attached: loud house.png (1162x300, 151K)

So I've got a T400 (7417CTO) that I use at work for a few "support" activities like chat clients / music / information resources / etc. I'm running a very lightweight distro, but with only 2GB of RAM it still bogs down sometimes, and is running on an ancient HDD with who knows how much life left in it.

I can spend ~$110 to upgrade it to a 256GB SSD & 4GB RAM.

Or

I can spend ~$200-250 on a X220/X230

Or

I can buy my friends T440S for $200.

What would you guys do? Do you think the T400 will remain viable for another 4-5 years with a few upgrades? I don't want to just sink money into it if it's going to need to be replaced soon anyway. Cheaper now doesn't always mean cheaper in the long run.

On the other hand, I really don't want to just buy a redundant device and then retire the T400 prematurely because I no longer had a use for it.

>T400
it has Core 2 Duo, no?
that's borderline obsolete, don't waste your money.

chinks gonna chink

How do I bend a USB plastic rectangle thingy on my X220 back to its proper position? I can't insert a USB in there.

Upgrade it. X220/230's are currently too expensive because everybody memed them.
Also
>T440s
Ugh.
dubs checked.

We G40 nao.

Found out there wasn't a wlan card installed, whatev. At least I got that new keyboard.

Attached: IMG_20180507_214806_1.jpg (2240x3968, 1.43M)

Ok, so if I didn't have a budget and wanted to get one of these ThinkPads, how much would I be looking at?

Yeah, it's got a Core 2 Duo P8600, not even one of the good ones. Of course, you can buy much better CPUs that will drop in for $15-20, I just haven't bothered. Even with the obsolete CPU it does fine most of the time.

Dropping in a second 2GB stick and swapping the SSD in would be easy, think it's worth the extra disassembly to drop a higher end CPU in while I'm at it?

>X220/230's are currently too expensive because everybody memed them.
Yeah, I noticed. I try not to pay attention to memes or it would ruin everything.
>T440S
>Ugh.
I told them to get a T440 or T440P, but "muh weight, muh thin".

$100-$2000.

>think it's worth the extra disassembly to drop a higher end CPU in while I'm at it?
That takes 20min at most. Of course it's worth it.
I also got a T400 with a P8600, but I don't know if I could drop a T9600 or an X9100

>one chance at life
>T420 is the battery-draining NVS model
>"just disable it in BIOS bro lmao xD"
>cant no longer use the DisplayPort
should i just kill myself?

Attached: images.jpg (219x230, 5K)

Put the laptop in Optimus mode and use the built in nvidia-drivers optimus support.

You can use the Intel card as the render sink and the Nvidia card as the output, keeping it in the lowest power state.

So ive got a T420 and an old GPU laying around, whats the cheapest way to pair these two together? Dont really care about a fancy case or anything, just wanna be able to run some low end vidja

a Core 2 Duo struggles with "modern" JavaScript-ridden websites, and it's only getting worse.

it can't be helped, disregard anyone telling you otherwise. Trash it and get a decent iGPU model.

im using Arch. when i switch on Optimus from BIOS and reboot, will it break it?
im not trolling. genuinely concerned

Attached: tenor (1).png (640x604, 237K)

The P8600 has an average CPUmark of 1540.
I can stay with a 25W CPU and put in a P9500 that benches @ 1765.
Or I can go to a 35W CPU and put in a T9600 that benches @ 1928.
I wouldn't want to risk a 44W chip in this ancient shitbrick.

Either one is like $15-20 on eBay, I'm leaning towards the T9600.

The most resource intensive thing I run on it is Slack / Bandcamp.

Yes.
us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/346.22/README/randr14.html

Read this before you try it.

expresscard exp gdc adapter + cheap atx psu

Why do people tell me not to use Win10 LTMBWTFBBQ on old Thinkpads? It seems like they would be great for that since the hardware is so barebones.

I'm using 10 ltsb on my x60, werks fine.

LTSB Is basically a barebones version of Win10. You only get monthly security updates, and it's less ram-intensive. Although you might get rid of the telemetry just in case.
I'll keep this in mind. Thanks lad.

Manjaro XFCE is my favorite for ancient Thinkpads.

What's the pros of using the thinkpad screen far back like that?
I had a laptop that did the same and I did nothing with it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want to know how much I would expect to pay for top tier thinkpads.

Does take a specific type of RAM to upgrade and x250? I'm looking at getting a 4GB version since I have some 4GB SODIMMs around, but I'm not sure the ram will be compatible. Will any ddr3L work?

Oh wow. Didn't realize cute girls were into Thinkpads

Attached: 1378529469466.jpg (400x348, 14K)

>girls

need a qrd on the differences between x200, x200s, x200t, and x201

so these are the new thinkpads?

Attached: 1523941815068.jpg (1200x900, 89K)

The C2D are still fine for light tasks.
Buy second-hand RAM and another HDD.
But if you really want an SSD, then why not buy a smaller one (i.e 128GB)
> and maybe a caddy if you need more storage, so you can slap an HDD there.

But, if you want something newer, then go for one T420 bc the screen size and the comfy keyboard.

X200:
>medum voltage CPUs (25W tdp)
>9-cell battery support
>no trackpad
X200s
>similar to X200, but with low voltage CPUs (17W tdp)
>higher resolution screens
X200 Tablet
>similar to X200s, but with Wacom digitiser on screen.
>IPS displays.
>single hinge that rotates clockwise.
X201
>practically an X200 with 1st gen Core CPU's (standard 35W tdp)
>trackṕad, but you can install an X200 palmrest

>That's only 20 series and earlier

No it isn't. Stop trying to make the xx20 series go up in demand so you can grab all the superior xx30 ones, negro.

>superior xx30 ones

Attached: 1522182370604.jpg (800x1200, 719K)

Hello do I qualify

Attached: 3.jpg (491x633, 34K)

C'est qui le vendeur ?

tripcode when are you gonna be my gf

brand new t480 here
so i'm trying to download some drivers from the lenovo website and it tells me i need to install tvsu first and gives me an option to install. i click install and nothing happens

after some googling it looks like lenovo vantage replaced tvsu. i can't download driver updates from that though

what do

post more

Toughbook or a Let's Note?

Why haven't you drilled holes into your chassis for more air?

Attached: IMG_20171217_115811_preview.jpg (1518x2048, 476K)

so do T420s just run hot or something? I've re-pasted the CPU and dusted the fucker three times and I still cant get temps down. just sitting idle with a Firefox window open it hovers at ~45c, but as soon as I do anything REMOTELY taxing (like running disk cleanup) the thing overheats and starts thermal throttling. even watching a video will push it into the 70s. is Speccy just not displaying the right temps or something? it cant even run PS1 emulators without overheating (something my old busted ass P4 gateway laptop can do just fine).

>inb4 ps2 emulator

I ran it for 5 minutes to see if this thing even could (shockingly It could, for about 5 minutes)

Attached: rip.png (1600x900, 140K)

lets note, i still want a toughbook but they are fucking expensive. just unboxed so shits all still japanese

P O W E R

Attached: 4.jpg (849x498, 42K)

V G A in an 11.6 because reasons

Attached: 5.jpg (864x277, 32K)

overclocking is mandatory lad

congrats user, you have the best computer this thread has seen in ages
stop taking such dogshit pictures though

they run hotter than other laptops with the same cpu because of pathetic cooling, but it shouldn't be that bad
your install is probably fucked, try a linux live cd and check out the temps.
grab a debian xfce one or ubuntu mate to reduce system overhead as much as possible.

alright so i just updated using the Device Manager and now my videos and little animations aren't choppy anymore
hooray

>Why haven't you drilled holes into your chassis for more dust?

got a rec on something for monitoring temps on linux? I actually Dual boot win7 + lubuntu (pls dont bully am relatively new to linux)

T520 reporting

how do i stop being a pleb

would also like to point out that I'm only using 550ish megs of RAM with FF open meanwhile windows uses 2 gigs just sitting there doing nothing.

I really should switch to Linux for daily driver duty.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-05-07 19:24:57.png (1600x900, 582K)

yeah just install lm-sensors and acpi, then run watch sensors, it'll update your temp output every 2 seconds.
I'm assuming you're running in a live environment and don't want to install a bunch of shit.

explain further.