/wt/ Watch Thread, Fidel Castro Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtu.be/uTegSi5qEcA

>Thread theme (also unironically):
youtu.be/am8pPOFJi9g

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

previous thread:
>> 65838214

Attached: C1.jpg (531x700, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uTegSi5qEcA
youtube.com/watch?v=Qad6Q_RbQQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=54YR_nZBerA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yay or nay on this strap combo?

Attached: IMG_20180508_065943_HHT.jpg (4000x3000, 2.96M)

Nice previous thread link bro.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtu.be/uTegSi5qEcA

Seen this, should have used this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Qad6Q_RbQQ0

Attached: lange.jpg (820x547, 83K)

Oops

Attached: 110E0CF3-DE40-4A19-8582-12044BDB9762.jpg (2048x1536, 841K)

Better delete this one and make a new thread.

Should i ?

Yes to be honest.

I like the thread 2bh

You Uncle passed away and leaves you $100,000, but his will states you have to spend it on watches. What do you buy?

Nah, might as well keep this one.

Also, WAY/WT/?

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180507_191147.jpg (2848x2849, 3.36M)

omg wat do

The bristol.

Attached: wellington_bristol.png (912x788, 786K)

Better than leather

This will do for reference
Don't delete

Canada has voted I’m leaving it ^_^

Where did you get that shirt?

Post clock videos.
I suggest you fuckers watch this one, really interesting and some insight on the mechanism..

youtube.com/watch?v=54YR_nZBerA

's up people?

Attached: My Constellation 1969.jpg (1219x1127, 767K)

Grand Seiko VFA SBGH265.
Omega Speedmaster Lemania 5100 Moonwatch 376.0822
Grand Seiko SBGW253
Rolex 16200 Blue dial, baton, smooth bezel, oyster bracelet.
King Seiko 45-7001
Omega Seamaster 168.024
Should all fit under budget, barely.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180504_175840.jpg (1080x1633, 1000K)

Hello, my friend.

Long time no see. How goes?

G. H. Bass & Co. makes them in lots of patterns for a reasonable price.

You just missed one of the biggest shitposting shprees we have ever had.
Thoughts on that?

Looks great

Attached: IMG_20180115_212115_1.jpg (2007x3104, 1.45M)

A Richard Mille

14 285 Casio f-91ws

Attached: Casio_F-91W.png (500x529, 187K)

I think the Palma on yours suits the watch better.

Good I guess, but I wish all that lawyering coud spare me some more time.
My first solo, in a relevant place, photograph exhibition is less tha a month away now, so I'm excited.

kek
I think I kinda saw the last of that rat's ugly tail, but decided to let it pass.

Attached: ff_3786.jpg (790x790, 42K)

>My first solo, in a relevant place, photograph exhibition is less tha a month away now, so I'm excited.
That's really cool. Add anything new to your collection lately?

>My first solo, in a relevant place, photograph exhibition is less tha a month away now, so I'm excited.
Neat. A full watch collection pic is going in the gallery right? :^)

here's the datejust I was talking about a few days ago. It was already moving when I picked it up so I guess it's doing alright.

Attached: JUST.jpg (4032x3024, 1.99M)

SBGE205
SBGA211
SBGA285
Yellow gold Day Date
Resco Blackfrog
A couple G Shocks

post some pics m8

Attached: SLAV.jpg (1280x768, 183K)

REEEdial.
What happened to your hand dudebro?

fpj chronometre bleu
321 pre war chronograph
patek 5959
116420 blue dial dj 36mm
vintage fifty fathoms
patek calatrava

as many of those as possible in that order

re everything lol. I got a bunch of scars in the ocean in mexico during a bad storm.

Attached: Poo.jpg (1280x768, 185K)

What were you doing in the ocean?
Are you a Mexican?

Lange 192.025 and a lifetime of service costs

Hi. Hope you're having a chance to stop and smell the tulips.

Attached: 20180421_184424-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.5M)

>Add anything new to your collection lately?
Probably. What was the last you remember I posted??

ok m8

Attached: Breguet b.jpg (2030x2204, 1.25M)

>A full watch collection pic is going in the gallery right? :^)
kek
Fuck no.
I'm gona exhibit some more relevant work.

Attached: _DSC0910a.jpg (2000x1333, 793K)

just swimming on vacation. The waves were getting large and it was fun but they had put concrete blocks in after a hurricane to hold the beach together. One wave was far too large and it pushed my friend and I under water into a sizable concrete block. My arm and hip got pretty fucked up as did my friends back but we both walked it off.

>Hmt slim
Worth copping or is that just poo in loo shit.

How many average day wages would you spend on a watch.
Talking non grails.

>a custom manufacture royale (40k)
>some bovet (20K)
>a full gold day-date (10k)
>a fifty fathoms (10k)
>some shitty patek to buy into the meme (10k)
>blow the rest of the cash on shitters

This is the type of photo i meant. Was it very sunny that day? Is that why you used such a small aperture?

Fucking phone posting, missing two question marks.

>Worth copping or is that just poo in loo shit.
I paid 12 dollars including shipping and threw it on some leather band. It keeps reasonable time and feels ok to wind. Given the low cost there really isn't any reason not to buy one.

>tulips
Something like that

Attached: Corum and flowers.png (937x830, 1.04M)

that is a pretty dial

Stop larping, nobody here needs to know the time

you should have gotten this Corum.

Attached: romvlvs-3-1358.jpg (933x1400, 151K)

Slavshit has landed. I repeat, slavshit has landed.

Attached: Screenshot_20180507-170415_Chrome.jpg (1440x2960, 557K)

Sorry for owning a watch and having a job.

Fuck yeah user. DId you get the 020SeUNI

Oh shit I'm sorry!

I just missed out on that special edition 020. They sold out in like 30 minutes.

Attached: Vostok_Laika-04-max-1800.jpg (1800x1200, 227K)

>Probably. What was the last you remember I posted??
March, according to the archives.

Amphibian Classic 710059

Do you ever sell the watches you don't wear much? Part of me thinks I should do that if I don't wear something but then "it'll be really difficult to get that exact model back if you ever want" comes and stops it.

>Amphibian Classic 710059
nice choice m8

That looks great fuck.

I don't know man. I have watches that cost me 300 usd and anothers that multiple that for a hundred and more. It depends on the watch. I really don't care if the timepiece is expensive or not as long as it pleases me.

Yes it was very sunny, but I also used a small aperture to get definition all across the background. If possible, I prefer to control the light with the shutter speed.

Thanks m8. Terrible picture, thou.

Kek not my first option, but maybe next time.

Now that's precision, m8. Although, I meant what watch you remember I posted last.

I have nerver sold a watch, although I have given away a tiny few to close friends and family. Keep in mind, if you don't sell watches, the money you're spending in is practically disappearing. Just do it if you can afford the losses.

Attached: 1491424094653.jpg (1882x1988, 992K)

What's a good alternative strap for this for summer time? The standard rubber strap is making my wrist sweaty. Is pic related ok?

Attached: f91w zulu.jpg (3264x2448, 2.23M)

That's fine

I think some of the DW watches look okay, like the one with roman numerals, but the backward D is just absurd and I'll never wear one because of that

>Now that's precision, m8. Although, I meant what watch you remember I posted last.
As far as I can tell, the last new acquisition you posted here was the Breguet.

>F-91W
>Manual written in Arabic
Uh-oh.

I had the same thought, lol

>a good alternative strap for this for summer time
16 awg solid stranded wire bro

Attached: Casio_F-91W_terrorist-004.jpg (960x550, 156K)

solid/stranded

israel has really cut back my funding lately so I can only afford 18 awg, will that work?

Don't do it Ahmed.

yes

>that endlink fitment and cyclops

that's a weird looking f91, no blue bezel

It's one of a few variations, actually

This snowflake dial is tough to photograph.

Attached: 20180507_211906-2863x1884.jpg (2863x1884, 858K)

Attached: 3hoursingimp.png (800x600, 3K)

Nice pic

Looks like the same texture, probably. That watch is super nice, that's a cool bracelet too it's very Royal Oak. Did you take any movement photos? I haven't seen any pictures of the 9983 online and I'm curious if it looks any different from the 9943.

Attached: DSC_5789.jpg (2000x1331, 920K)

I haven't. How do you open it up? I would have guessed it's a screw back but it doesn't have notches for a case wrench so not sure.

>all the seconds indices are applied (save for the ones around the date window
Dick status: muh

It's probably a snap-on caseback. There should be a notch you can slide a knife into to pop it off, and then it just snaps back into place with some pressure. Don't do it just to take a picture, I don't want you to mess it up or anything. I was just curious if you had already opened it up.

I have it in the incubator right now; I'll be timing it over the next week or two at various temperatures before trying to regulate it. It looks to me like the screw to the right of the battery in this picture is probably a timing screw.

Attached: seiko 9983 ppaulusz inside.jpg (300x252, 114K)

There should be two trimmers, one controls the primary crystal and turning it gives a direct +/- adjustment. The second one controls the temperature compensation crystal so it has a more complicated relationship and can cause the watch to run faster at one temperature and slower at another. I've heard that the twin quartz movements are pretty hard to regulate, see if you can find some sort of manual or guide if you really want to go full autism.

It's running fine so far, and while I'm a little squeamish about messing with it after what happened to my crystron, seems like a waste to not try to adjust it when it has a trimmer.

Attached: Screenshot_20180507-223811.png (1440x2560, 214K)

Do not, I repeat, Do NOT watch videos on you-tube that celebrate watches when drunk.

I just watched one on an unboxing of a new traditional Speedmaster. I never thought something could look so fucking beautiful. I still intellectually prefer to go for the old 145.012, and I know that is what would give me the most long-term pleasure......but fuck man.

New Speedys look really really good. I don't care about the engineering, I don't care about the antiquated movement that never went to the moon, and I don't care about the cam operated chrono instead of column wheel. Right now, with my rum-filled eyes, it's a thing of perfection.

How did they do it Anons? How did they manage to get a face that looks absolutely perfect in from every angle? How did they manage to make it look EVEN MORE ATTRACTIVE with a Hesalite crystal?

Jesus....do not...do not look at watches you want when you're drunk....it amplifies the desire a hundred fold while smoothing out any potential critiques that may exist.

That is all....hope you are all well.

Attached: Real Speedy.jpg (960x1063, 143K)

drunk xD

>you wake up in Australia

Attached: IMG_20180508_124559.png (802x496, 52K)

Nice.

Attached: Screenshot_20180310-130351.jpg (1080x1920, 178K)

Attached: rick.png (348x360, 165K)

>$160
Holy shit.

is this elaborate satire?

cheapest is $98 on ebay. May as well get an skx

Speedmasters are just really fucking nice. They are not memes and any classic looking speedmaster you get is a good decision.

jesus christ man

sorry anons it seems I must abandon hope of getting a dive watch for now. Maybe at Christmas or something

Attached: d3150f9b851bf41bcdb5c93ad618e69f_e6f8ae33-272c-4efe-9ab4-bdc06d436f1c.jpg (1000x1200, 129K)

NO. No no no. No.

I decided to relax and watch the AWI lecture by Roger Smith about practical clock movements, but I thought 'let's relax', so I poured myself a rum and coke. Of course, after watching it I thought, 'well, I could make a watch too, it's easy, isn't it?'. Incidentally, I learned about his perspective on why a lower beat mechanical would be better off in the long run (i.e. 5 beats per second instead of the 8 or 10 that we see these days), but only if you have an escapement that is frictionless or nearly so. If you do, in his argument, you can reduce the power necessary from the mainspring, and furthermore, you don't need to have the high-beat which is normally used to offset the isochronism that occurs when climate influences the lubricant. Without lubricant, you don't have climate-variation, and thus you can reduce the beat rate, and have less wear and tear on the watch....Sorry, that's backwards. You don't need high-beat, thus you don't need extra power.

But during the process I also thought, 'now...wait a moment. There must be a way to decrease the friction EVEN more during the impulse...there's got to be a way, even if it means repositioning the pallets further off the center point, perhaps putting them 'late'...then you could minimize it less than 1.1mm in terms of travel. Isn't it possible to do a single point of contact and impulse? There must be a way...'

Of course, I'm not stupid enough to think that a drunken ramble can solve the friction problems of escapements, and then my mind wandered into why, if there was a truly practical benefit, no one aside from Omega picked up on it. And then I meandered to the unboxing by a gregarious Australian of his friend's brand new Speedmaster. And now I'm here.

It might be blasphemy, but I'm going to say it anyway. I still think it's more attractive than the Newman Daytona. I know the Paul Newman has a lot of historical significance...but I think it's an ugly as hell watch.

Attached: Not of light..jpg (799x800, 185K)

Didn't I tell you there were expensive, or was it another user I was discussing diving with yesterday? Mine cost more than a thousand dollaroos....but as I said before, if you safety depends on it, then you might as well pay the price. I trust Suunto...they've served me best. What are you looking for?

Attached: P2140112.jpg (4288x3216, 2.78M)

I'm the freediving user. I knew they were expensive but I didn't realise aus was basically barred from the budget range. Mid range prospex are about the same as US prices here but the lower end are just a complete ripoff marked up 100% or more. I've tried to cut down my budget here and there but I'm not willing to sacrifice my gear anymore than I have. Like I said, I'll get one eventually but it'll probably have to be 6 months down the line

You know the thing that really shook me this evening. Yesterday I was thinking about the differences between finishing in watches, and how we seem to go from 1500-3000 for an excellent timekeeper that is finished average to 10,000+ for an excellent timekeeper that has awesome finishing....and I remember looking at Pateks and shit, and then going back to the darling Speedmaster. I think it was one of those Watchfinder+Co videos where they compare the finishing between a Speedmaster and a Patek.

Anyway, the point is that the Speedmaster finishing looks like shit under magnification, and I know that's the point. I'm not saying it's fair...as the Patek in the video was many many times more in terms of cost. But the video rattled me a bit...because it's so clear what we're paying for. We're not paying for the actual working of the watch necessarily, when we get to the 50,000 price point (unless we go watchmaker like Dufour or Smith or whatever...handmade to the extreme).

What we're paying for is...finishing that may or may not affect that actual technological benefit of the working of the watch. For a moment...for a brief moment, the Speedmaster looked like an unrefined piece of antiquated junk. Yes, the face was beyond question...but the movement looked like it came out of a junkyard when you compared the finishing.

Tonight it was the opposite effect...the finishing didn't matter...the performance didn't matter. What mattered was the most beautifully perfect face, proportioned and coloured for legibility under any adverse condition. The perfect fucking watch, which my gut instinct tells me is the Speedmaster but my intellect tells me slightly otherwise.

Perception is a fucking dangerous thing, especially when it's affected by Alcohol.

Attached: Speedy.jpg (1536x1152, 254K)