Elementary os

the most beautiful linux disto.

prove me wrong.

ps: you can't.

Attached: elementary.png (1280x1024, 984K)

install gentoo

It's so beautiful ;_;

The only thing I don't like about eOS is that the devs completely disabled the desktop. That's totally retarded in my opinion.

My wife's son loves it.

>Wife's son. Not my son.
Step son.

The icons are ass and launcher at the top is a poor ergonomic choice for mouse users. The store is ugly because there’s seemingly no standard for icon sizes.

It’s called pantheon, you can make other distros look like this too.

>disabled the desktop
What do you mean exactly?

You can't place files or folders or even right click in the desktop. The desktop folder itself doesn't exist.

Attached: 1494674928573.png (2560x1600, 223K)

You can't place icons, etc. Though in my case I end up doing that on my box with xfce myself because I know that otherwise I'll have clutter that I'll never clean up there.

Oowhhh, who cares? It will keep the desktop looking pretty, placing shit on the desktop is retarded, especially if you have a dock.

Literally GNOME with mac-like dock.
Fuck this, use real mans DE, like KDE on OpenSUSE.

Aesthetically, Pop!_OS by system76 is superior to Elementary. Sorry not sorry

>Pop!_OS

It's just GNOME with a flat theme

why don't you losers just use Chromium OS?
CloudReady OS even supports Flatpak apps, and the OS is actually designed with minimalism in mind, not some weird abomination of dated OS design with new techniques slapped on top

Attached: Screenshot 2018-05-07 at 6.30.39 PM.png (1366x768, 149K)

A lot of people use the desktop as a kind of temporal folder where they place the files and documents they're currently working on.
The lack of a proper desktop could conflict with their workflow. not to mention that new users could think that this is a sort of bug or anti-feature.

It's a stupid workflow, good that it's not allowed.

>temporal folder
esteban...

yeah no

Attached: Screenshot_20180426_202322.png (1366x768, 1.38M)

ew conky, what is this 1995?

can you stop posting your ugly nonfunctional desktop

I like solus

>topbar
>beautiful
>keksimus maximus.jpg

>Disabled desktop

What the fuck is the point of that? A desktop is not about forcing everyone to have a pretty picture on it, its meant to be a space to work on in any way you want.

What is ironic, is that you could simply get rid of that stupid bar of forced icons down at the bottom there, and instead just place ON THE DESKTOP a selection of links IN ANY ORIENTATION YOU WANT, which could include just having 10 icons laid down center as in OPs pic. This is a meme distro.

What the fuck even is a distro anyway? Is it just a package manager and built in DE/DM?

Pantheon is shit compared to Plasma

Your face your ass. What's the difference?

Why do you need two cursors?

Attached: 1525533275798.gif (250x255, 2.84M)

>Botnet OS
>worst container

What's nonfunctional about it?

>eOS
it's called Elementry O's

it's not really that good looking

>Chromium
>Botnet

loljpg.bmp

Ah yes, the distro that calls non-payers cheaters of the system, whatever that means.

For being a super noob friendly distro, I've had the hardest time installing it on actual hardware. The beta preview on the daily ppa looked ok at least.

>debian-based

Are we judging the DE or the actual distro here?

Attached: thisisbait.png (625x626, 66K)

Attached: asdsasd.webm (1366x768, 1.05M)

It's an ugly piece of trash, built on top of gnome (that uses gtk+, dead toolkit) using modules. It is bloated, uncustomizable and non-unixy.

Missing the point entirely, plebbitor

I think Pantheon is excellent, but eOS itself is way behind the curve and devs are weenies.

>It is bloated, uncustomizable and non-unixy.

I concure

>get any distro
>install gnome
>install plank
>install some generic icon set
>set some photo with high depth of field as wallpaper
why is Elementary O's a thing?

>why do people want a complete package instead of just bulding gentoo from scratch???
Because some people want to actually use their PCs rather than working an unpaid tech support job in their own house.

You understand that it takes less than 5 minutes and exactly two installs (plank, gnome) to do what I said, right?
>>This distro doesn't come with _ pre-installed? I need it for my job! Better try to find a distro with it installed because I don't know how to install anything!
If you even knew what you were talking about, you could have come up with far better defenses for Elementary O's, but you can't.
kys, gb2 wangblows

KDE is good but it seems ti be like a puzzle with wrong pieces. It still doesn't look solid. I prefer Gnome because it gives you the feel of being a unique piece with all the programs. But remains the fact that GNOME has 3 good functionalities while KDE has a million of programs and tweaks. I'm waiting for Solus KDE to give KDE another chance.

afaik pantheon needs a shit ton of libraries to function as it does in a native eos install so if all you want is the visual experience it's not worth it to do it the hard way

>anything gtk
>ever beautiful

Why run pantheon? Just use GNOME and your favorite GTK theme. You can still install Plank.

Why not just open the filemanager and place the files there just dont close the filemanager?

Just install macos if you like that shitty ass desktop

because the smooth animations and fonts come from pantheon

Then install pantheon on another distro, should work fine

again - why bother doing it the long way?

My only point is that achieving a certain aesthetic shouldn't necessitate making a whole new distro. Clearly daniel just wanted to be a macfag without being a macfag.

Why do people care about distro quantities? elementary is just ubuntu LTS underneath it all, it doesn't introduce any fragmentation or anything. Just think of it as a quick way to install a preconfigured DE package.

The overabundance of distros creates a confusing, hostile environment that's the main culprit of Linux's pitiful market share on the desktop.

Most user-friendly distros already have preconfigured DE packages, e.g. Ubuntu's repos already have all of the DEs configured when you install them.
People confuse DE and DE configs with distros, which leads to kids distro hopping to "find what feels right" when they have no idea what distros actually are, and perhaps picking a system that isn't right for them because it looks pretty out of the box.

Linux's pitiful market share will see a bump when more third parties write software for it and when you never need to touch the terminal. Not saying that's a good thing btw
Kids almost always get recommended ubuntu or Mint, and it's very hard to fuck those up if you have the minimal attention span and googling skills. But distro hopping isn't a negative at all, hopping helped me learn a lot about Linux

Tell me one thing you learned about Linux from distro hopping.

it is gnome with a dock
wow

how different package managers work, how repositories work, the real world difference between rolling release and fixed release, how different DEs handle their settings etc.

So nothing.
Neat.

hope you had fun shitposting. see ya

How did I know all of those things were exactly what you were going to say?

because it's a pretty simple concept that I shouldn't have to explain

I'm using fedora for a month now, first linux distro I've mantained full time, not my first linux experience.
I'm thinking of hopping to arch, should I?

But we don't know what you are looking for in a distro. If you want what Arch offers, then yes.

Looks like mac but shit, manjaro defaults look better than this lol

install deepin

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20170826193137.png (1366x768, 824K)

>Chinese software
worry

>chinese botnet
>tablet sized interface
no

it's so ugly that it is unusable

> I don't like it thus bad.
fuck off kid.

Can I put different wallpapers on different workspaces? What about multi monitor support and wallpapers on them?

Just use your filemanager tard

>still 0.4.1
It's been on this version for well over a year, hasn't it?

>bloated
>buggy
>unresponsive
>bad design choices
>devs are disgusting numale attention whores who beg for money
>cheap ass FagOS rip-off
>a fucking Gnome fork
>a fucking Ubuntu fork
>neutered, locked down DE
>limited ricing possibilities
>ships with shitty tailor-made Pantheon "apps", installing anything else will look out of place aka like horse shit

Listen fuckwit, I do not use desktop as temp folder. Other people do. And you are a piece of shit for being ok with limiting what people can do. It is their workflow, and they shpuld be able to use it.

It's pretty nice, but
>GNOME 3
It's nice looking, but not very practical or useful once you actually start using it. I suppose you could give it to a parent or confused grandparent and they'd have an easier time using it and not fucking up their computer.
It's just like the OS it's ripping off, pretty to look at, but not all that practical. The only difference is that with mac, it's even less practical than it appears.

>Hurr durr fuckwit blablabla retardations arguments.....
They can fuck off to another distro or fork the code themselves. Making retarded behavior impossible is great, the desktop is supposed to be one big background image not fucking clutter and don't reply to me again you stupid little kid. You can't convince me with any of your arguments because I place my blind trust in these design choices like they're the word of god. Fuck off go back to your momma.

totally untrue, yeah you can install those packages but they will give you tons of bugs if you just do that

you haven't even tried and your point is so stupid that for some reason you made me reply

>the way desktop always worked
>retarded behavior
you fucking idiot. Making desktop fucking useless picture only is retarded behavior. Don't want icons on desktop? Wel, don't fucking put them there. Does it relly hurt you much that some people want to have dektop that isn't fucking useless picture?

Whats next?
>hurr durr lets remove wallpapers because your programs are covering desktop 99% of yhe time anyway!

FUCK OFF RETARDED SUB HUMAN BEING, I TOLD YOU NOT TO REPLY WHY YOU REPLY AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH
FUK U MANG I FIHND GEY PEPLO SCARIE,
YOU WILL REGRET THIS, MY AUTISMB SHALL BE SHOWINGB YOU WHY YOU WILL REGRET DISSS

Attached: b5224b8131656dca93119f036d719355--v-for-vendetta-quotes-v-for-vendetta-.jpg (683x1024, 120K)

being so wrong must hurt. why do you think it's called a DESK TOP? because you keep your work on it. is your actual desk just a framed painting? christ.

Cluttering your desktop with files is stupid, the windows you open represent you working on a desk. Why the fuck would you be sticking stickers of icons on your desk, putting folders on your desk? Fuck that clutter, keep it clean and keep everything organized inside the file cabinet

You are welcom to do that. But why would you force that on people that use desktop for more than wallpaper?

Because then in screenshot threads the distro doesn't look like autism

>2018
>still searching for apps instead of having a menu
lol

"This is a pretty easy mistake to make. GNOME has been around a long time and there are quite a few distros that just ship with a modified version of it. But, elementary OS ships with our own home-grown desktop environment called Pantheon. Just recently, Pantheon has been recognized in both the freedesktop.org menu specification and in AppStream.

Unlike GNOME Shell, Pantheon is made up of a number of individual components. The panel, window manager, and dock are all separate programs, as are many other small helper programs like the Polkit Agent which handles authentication dialogs. In GNOME Shell these are all part of a single monolithic program. We believe that our choice of architecture makes the desktop environment more robust and ensures that others are able to benefit from our work by remixing it into their own distributions.

Another major notable difference between GNOME Shell and Pantheon is choice of programming language. Pantheon is written in Vala, while GNOME Shell is written in JavaScript (Specifically,GJS). Just to reiterate, these are totally separate unrelated code bases and are not derived from each other at all."

So much ignorance in this thread. Truly the dumbest people speak the loudest.

lmfao the font you've used for those stats are like toothpicks in my eyes

"Empty desk is sign of empty mind" Adolf Enshtain.

> I do not want to see icons in screenshots on vietnamese anime board thus prevent icons on desktop
Good thing you are just random faggot oninternet and not someone with any power.

I actually am a manager of a relatively big company

>manager
that explains why you have shit opinions that limits other people just because you do not like something.
And Being manager of random company doesn't give any usefull powers