Best Linux Distro?

Best Linux Distro?

Attached: FCD02DB3-ABD8-413B-8F64-638107195533.jpg (1600x978, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

voidlinux.eu/news/2018/04/my-little-void.html
linuxfromscratch.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gentoo. Install it.

Install

Best is subjective. Use what you feel is the best. There is no good distro as they're tailored to a specific set of people.

Ubuntu and Linux mint are for beginners.

Arch and Gentoo are for the ones who like to pretty much build their own installations.

and the list goes on.

Gentoo.

Linux From Scratch.

Attached: 1512920747927.jpg (766x758, 236K)

Install Windows

Attached: windows.jpg (1280x570, 215K)

grug would like to make talk right now. what you say is linrocks is not linrocks it is grugnu/linrocks, or what grug now calls it grugnu plus linrocks. linrocks is not just big rockerating system it is part of big grugnu system with gruglibs, shells, rocktools and vital rock components which make full rockerating system which ROCKIX would say yes about.

many rockputer grugs use grugnu every time sun is up. but for some reason grugnu is called linrocks and everygrug is not knowing that they using grugnu system which was made by grugnu project.

linrocks is real and grugs use it but it is just part of big system. linrocks is the rockernel. the part in system that tells rockware what to do with pebbles. rockernel is big part of rockerating system but not good alone. linrocks is used with grugnu rockerating system. whole system is grugnu plus linrocks or grugnu/linrocks. all linrocks things are gnu/linrocks things.

Attached: richard stallgrug.jpg (371x338, 34K)

NixOS

fedora for a stable workstation
arch for bleeding edges and ez mode AUR
gentoo for highly configurable only-compile-what-you-need
ubuntu for if you like mark shuttleworth to kernel panic in your anus

was just about to post this

look
learn
use

Attached: sex.png (700x3000, 266K)

Void Linux, runit is the best init system.

>suck less
>can't even crop an image properly
sounds about right

You should install Arch Linux. These are the no-fail install help for Arch made by grug, for grug. Better than the Arch wiki

Attached: ArchHelpFile.png (924x3386, 281K)

linux is the best linux distro.

Rebecca Black Linux

I don't know, but I know the worst distros: Ubuntu and Mint

slackware, of course.

CRUX easily

It depends on you.

Kubuntu / Lubuntu / Lubuntu+LXQt

*guixSD

slackware

Gonna try linux for the first time. Don't know any kind of coding. Should I go mint or ubuntu?

lisp is nicer than the nix dsl but freetardation will always hold that project back

Kubuntu

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1494611423154.jpg (294x400, 32K)

>Best Linux Distro?
I prefer Windows 7 but Windows XP is breddy guud too

OpenSuse

That this reply is not under the first 10 makes me really fucking sad. Was has Jow Forums become?

I'll try this. Thanks

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Attached: stallman laptop.jpg (2348x1736, 843K)

His cli unix style program had a 200 page manual about how to crop images and he could not figure out how.

Attached: 1390376095893.jpg (235x215, 6K)

>Best Linux Distro

Debian

Attached: 1525497961089s.jpg (250x210, 6K)

home -> arch
office -> debian stable

It's depends on your needs.

For me Void Linux is close to the ideal distro.
I only miss Wine on MUSL.

saved

Go back home to reddit.

>Best Linux Distro
Systemd... Just choose your frontend

Work: Debian
Play: Gentoo
Pray: GNU/GuixSD (religion)

t. Jow Forumsent

>what is /runit/sysvinit(openrc)/shepherd/upstart based distros?

Time to go home lad.

Inferior init systems.

BSD obviously

*hugs you*

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

loonix ment

>not recognizing a shitpost
Honestly user when I came on here I was depressed as shit, the fact that you took you time to reply to my barely witty comment with all that made my day. Also there is more than openBSD

Attached: replying to copypasta.gif (240x225, 1.64M)

thank you for fucking this thread up

Do I really need a CD?

TempleOS

Attached: temple.jpg (360x360, 14K)

Gentoo obviously

The maintainer of Void literally disappeared...

Just install Ubuntu then get back to working.

a bootable usb should work fine

This says a lot about the current state of Linux. Void, without a lead maintainer, is better than most distros

LFS
/thread

Solus!

Void

Yo guys,
I've been using Arch for a year or so and I love the customizability and everything but something has happened recently.
I've been getting into Emacs (Spacemacs) and I've discovered that I can do within it a lot of things that I do with my Arch configured programs: text editor, file manager, terminal emulator, even music player, etc.
So I'm thinking about ditching Arch for a simpler (pre-configured) distro and just use Emacs for all these functionalities in it. It even is portable, so I can use it when I need to use Windows or another PC.
What distro do you recommend me?

ubuntu mate

>calling Systemd an init system.

I was gonna try Void but I took at look at the package repos first:
So many packages are significantly outdated. Why can't they get their shit together?

Why does Jow Forums still have this discussion? It's completely based on your needs.

ubuntu, any flavor you prefer.

Currently looking for a stable distribution, coming from Void, any ideas that'll be close to Void ?

For a server: CentOS
For a desktop: None.

> Unlike trillions of other existing distros, Void is not a modification of an existing distribution. Void's package manager and build system have been written from scratch.
Basically, pick any distro that has a stable branch.

isn't void stable? i'm a normie, so i have no idea. i started on slackware in 1994 and then moved on to red hat, then mepis, then ubuntu, so i go for distributions that aren't obnoxious time sinks since i have a social life.

Goddamn. Why Jow Forums have the best pastas.

it's stable because the packages are stale

Id juzt lige to inderject for a momend :DD wat youre referrign to az LinuxXDDiz in factXDD GNU/LinuxXDD or az ibe recendly tagen to gallign idXDD GNU pluz Linux :DD Linuxiz nod an oberatign syztem undo idzelfXDD but rader anoder free gombonend of a fully functionign GNU syztem made uzeful by de GNU gorelibzXDD shell utilidies and vidal syztem gombonendz gombrisign a full OS az defined by boSIX :DD

Many gomputer uzerz run a modified verzion of de GNU syztem ebery dayXDD widout realizign id :DD drough a beculiar turn of ebendzXDD de verzion of GNU wighiz widely uzed todayiz often galled "Linux"XDD and many of idz uzerz are nod aware dat idiz bazigally de GNU syztemXDD debelobed by de GNU broject :DD

dere reallyiz a LinuxXDD and dese beoble are uzign idXDD but idiz juzt a part of de syztem dey uze :DD Linuxiz de gernel: de brogram in de syztem dat allogates de machines resources to de oder brogramz dat you run :DD de gerneliz an eszendial part of an oberatign syztemXDD but uzelesz by idzelf; id gan only function in de gondegzt of a gomplede oberatign syztem :DD Linuxiz normally uzed in gombination wid de GNU oberatign syztem: de wole syztemiz bazigally GNU wid Linux addedXDD or GNU/Linux :DD All de so-galled "Linux" disdributionz are really disdributionz of GNU/Linux :DD

GNU *LINUGZ . . . :DDD XD

ARGH LINUGZ

Attached: images(3).jpg (512x512, 12K)

oh fugg :DDD dhis is now a sburdo dhread :DDDDDD

BOID LINUGZ
Friendzhib iz Magig

voidlinux.eu/news/2018/04/my-little-void.html

Attached: images(2).png (540x568, 29K)

Linux from scratch

linuxfromscratch.org/

Attached: images(4).jpg (384x475, 28K)

For most purposes, Arch, unironically.

i got so used to gnome that when i try to use anything else, it feels wrong. i am end up hating it and going back to gnome

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-15 02-25-57.png (1366x768, 563K)

i end up hating*

Linux described in 1 sentense.

Chrome OS will soon be a serious option

Let me enlighten you. First of all you shouldn't use Linux.
Instead you should get rid of the metal roads that goes to your cpu, except for the ones that provide power to it, lmao. Then you plug a few wired in there and start inputing electric signals directly into your CPU.
Then you can create the ultimate botnet and hack everypne on the planet, because you will have access to the real data that is going on at the core. You will actually see the Matrix.
Your'e welcomr, have fun;).

It doesn't matter, it is just one guy out of a whole team.
Not enough manpower/dedicated maintainers, it is really easy to add a package to their repos (just git clone, add the recipe and ask for merge) but that means some things might end up unmaintained.
Furthermore, they aim to build for musl and glibc wherever it is possible and might hold an upgrade if they need to fix musl, or patch stuff for LibreSSL.

Sailfish OS

Hannah Montana Linux™

Attached: It's not GNU Linux.jpg (804x931, 362K)

Can you change the size of those tablet-like buttons around the UI?

this

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180509131953.png (625x408, 66K)

Windows or MacOS