/sqt/

/sqt/
Stupid Questions Thread
Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread etc.
Search engine before posting
Prev:

Attached: 1496823261805.jpg (480x360, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/xscx3u.zip
solidworks.com/sw/support/shareyourscore.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Someone threw out an old pc and I took it home. Found out it doesn't have an hdd. Is there a way to install a linux distro on it using one USB?

m8, you can boot linux in live environment using usb but if it doesn't have hdd, where you gonna install the os?

>using one USB
Make sure you have room for a new partition before booting the live session. When you're done just erase the fat32 part and expand your ext2 section.

I'm trying to get the usb to have persistent storage
It doesn't seem possible to me. Once you create a new partition everything on the USB is deleted so how can I continue installing debian when the USB is cleaned.

How long has hot swapping with PCI-e been around?
I just watched Linus literally unplug and plug in a GPU.
>inb4 hurr lnius r gaye
It was a cool video.

So I have a lot of embedded images from the days of sound threads and I'd like to extract the oggs/video/whatever from them to just have because chrome doesn't allow the old media player js anymore, what would be the best way to either get that working to use it's own extracting method or get another program to do the same thing? I tried something called Xripper but it doesn't work

Attached: 1499629883115.jpg (262x278, 7K)

what's a recommended "cheap" SSD I can put into an old laptop? doesn't need to be top tier SSD or those nvme ones

Maybe a used SSD?

Is metadata being associated with my name if i use youtube under a false name with a different protonmail account?

ADATA SU800 is the cheapest SSD that is reliable enough to not die on its own, just get a 256GB one.
Dont buy 120GB SSDs, they last less and are slower.

If I were to design/develop a website for multiple customers and host their websites on my server, which I'm paying a hosting company for - I'm not reselling hosting plans but just hosting all sites in one server, can I be liable for content they post on their website? I obviously know that cheese pizza, gore, malware and shit like that could get me, the owner of the server, in trouble.
But what about a legit adult site. Adult sites are made to comply with US law 2257 and all adult sites must have a page stating they are compliant with the 2257 law. But what if one of my clients doesn't have the 2257 page on their website. If they get in trouble, can I, the person selling them hosting, get in trouble as well?

Thanks for any help.

Just installed Fedora 28 on my HDD (I have windows 10 on my SSD). The thing is, when I boot my pc there's no OS list, it goes straight to windows. I have to manually select my HDD in the boot menu.

I really want to join the mustard race but that's the only problem I got right now. Any thoughts?

Attached: fedora.png (1200x630, 44K)

I get an error when I start PES2017 that d3dx9_43.dll is missing.
I tried reinstalling DirectX twice and also downloaded and pasted the file separately but no dice.
What do?

ED is down — is there a mirror or a torrent or IPFS link?
>i know i could prob use google's cache but don't want to
>or archive.org

Install DirectX package.
Not the gimped one from microsoft but the original one that came with all the D3DX9 files.
Give me a minute and i will upload it.

OR if you are paranoid about trusting another user through the internet:
Download d3dx9_43.dll manually (either the 32 bit or 64 bit one based in the program you are trying to run) and paste it in the folder of the file you are trying to execute.

files.catbox.moe/xscx3u.zip

Upload it to virustotal if you dont trust it, i have it from the 2hu install CDs.

Two questions.

I'm using Avanti to encode webms
Reason being because I'm no computer nerd, and I need a GUI to make sense of it all.
Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge, the most recent Avanti-GUI is several years old

Anyways,
Does anyone here know of any recent/maintained WebM GUI programs?
>Preferably including a way to combine audio and video files
>also it would be fantastic to be able to estimate the file size. (So I can post it on this site)
Pls halp

>AJ webm unrelated

Attached: When the Brain Force Hits and You Have to Focus on Coming for the Globalists.webm (720x404, 1.17M)

Install Webm for retards.

What is it with being a total loser and watching anime?

Also im not trying to be offensive, that is the real name of the program.

Attached: webm for retards.png (1093x488, 106K)

how long do Fortnite server maintenance last?

not him, but I thought that it was abandonware?

No, its still being maintained.
What got abandoned was the Github version because they trew a tumblr about the name, its now in Gitgud.

If I archive a page on the wayback machine, do I need to keep the tab open for it to successfully archive? I mean I have their addon installed, and it opens a new tab showing me it's doing it. I tend to keep it open until it stops loading, but I wonder if I have to. I've closed a few prematurely.

How viable is it to replace a power supply fan?

I have a Be Quiet Pure Power 10 500W PSU but the fan produces an insanely audible ticking/clicking sound.

Can I just replace the fan with a regular case fan (powered via motherboard or one of those SATA to 3pin fan connector adaptor) and increase RPM a little bit to play it safe? I really wish power supply fans were user servicable. Fucking proprietary 2-pin connectors (and fuck Be Quiet for using 135mm proprietary fan dimensions)

If the PSU is failing you replace it, don't cheap in your PSU since it could kill your whole PC.

Just buy a cheap EVGA 500B or EVGA 450 BT if you want to cheap out but still get something good.

How do I thoroughly diagnose problems on Windows other than using Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor?

Attached: 1521686842896.gif (200x200, 91K)

Ryzen 2700, or 2700X?

Also what the muff is the difference between the Aurous gaming 7 and 5 montherboards?

Attached: 1520128596352.jpg (480x230, 12K)

larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo genlop -t www-client/chromium
* www-client/chromium

Sun Mar 11 23:38:20 2018 >>> www-client/chromium-65.0.3325.146
merge time: 6 hours, 11 minutes and 17 seconds.

Mon Apr 23 03:02:44 2018 >>> www-client/chromium-66.0.3359.117
merge time: 6 hours, 13 minutes and 56 seconds.

Fri May 4 18:56:24 2018 >>> www-client/chromium-66.0.3359.139
merge time: 6 hours, 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo genlop -t www-client/firefox
* www-client/firefox

Mon Mar 12 00:01:03 2018 >>> www-client/firefox-52.6.0
merge time: 22 minutes and 43 seconds.

larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo genlop -t www-client/epiphany
* www-client/epiphany

Sat Mar 10 13:08:32 2018 >>> www-client/epiphany-3.24.5
merge time: 49 seconds.

larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo lshw -class processor
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
serial: [REMOVED]
slot: LGA1155
size: 3559MHz
capacity: 3800MHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 100MHz
capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpuexception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp constanttsc archperfmon pebs bts repgood nopl xtopology nonstoptsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor dscpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse41 sse42 popcnt tscdeadlinetimer aes xsave avx lahflm epb pti tprshadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts cpufreq
configuration: cores=4 enabledcores=1

Why does chromium take so f*cking long to compile

>Also what the muff is the difference between the Aurous gaming 7 and 5 montherboards?
Mosfet and VRM quality, huge difference when it comes to heavy overclocking, neat motherboard buttons, better onboard audio, etc.

When someone says "I have a torrent server" are they just saying they have a machine dedicated to leeching/seeding?

Noone says "i have a torrent server".
They call it a seedbox

I'm unemployed and struggled to find a job for a while now (I hold a 'creative' degree). I want to teach myself programming anyway and have already started, but it is unreasonable to think that I may get a job with it within the next 6 months - a year? I am in the UK and have a genuine interest in the field, just never formally had an education in it.

Also, I am starting with Python because of the sheer amount of resources aimed at retards like me and it's supposedly the best beginner language. Someone I know told me that Python is okay but it's not good as a first language because it teaches bad habits (e.g. forgetting about semicolons). Was he correct? If so, where else should I start?

I know these are the silliest silly questions but please help.

Attached: 1466083894899.jpg (447x456, 32K)

My University blocks Jow Forums.org and access to the boards through the browser, but I can go fine into the site with clover, why

so is a seedbox just a machine to seed/leech or am I missing something?

A seedbox is just a rented server that has a torrent client on it that is exposed to the internet that allows you to send it torrents or magnet links via a web based gui or a specilized app.
Having the server allows you higher uptime then on a residential connection

Are cheap projectors worth it? There are loads of chinkshit 3000+ lumens projectors going for 100-200€ that supposedly support 1080p. A lot of them even run android.
Image size aside, how's their image quality compared to a TV in that price range?

If you're smart, then no it's not unreasonable to get some jobs in half a year. Don't expect something major though.

Regarding python, your friend is right. It's a good language for easy and quick results. It's not one where you get hired for...

I don't know about smart but I am sitting around doing nothing except getting rejected for creative jobs because of my not very social personality so I may as well teach myself a skill I've always wanted to learn.

As for jobs I mean looking at internships/low-level positions within that 6mo-1yr timespan.

How do you plan properly your code?

Everytime I work on anything, I have a small bit of code; works perfectly but then I need to make it evolve which introduces new concepts that were not planned when I implemented the initial solution.

I would then plan for longer, and attempt to plan for a bigger solution that would encompass all that is needed and further, however doing makes the project's code grow out of control.

Any tips or should I just keep adding shit on top of more shit and hope it works?

Sounds like either your WLAN runs free, or your it guys did a shitty job on their blacklist settings.

>/csg/

How about some physical labour job, artsie?

Look into roadmaps before beginning a project and learn to order your classes + dependencies better.

Yeah that just sounds lazy to me too.

Why do you think I am lazy? When I say 6months I mean studying 4-5 hours a day because I have nothing to do.

Very stupid question here. Can i use a Kingston 3x4gb KVR16R11S8K3 RAM on an EVGA X58 sli? I found out it's server ram but not sure if there's an issue

Attached: w.jpg (213x237, 9K)

Where can I start learning about computer science and programming

how does a workstation gpu compare to a gaming gpu for non gaming tasks? is a gtx 980m 8gb going to be a lot better than a k1100m with 2gb for things like solidworks inventor and blender?

>(I hold a 'creative' degree)
You poor bastard. What did you major in, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm thinking leverage that artsy experience to learn webdev. I have a friend who says if you can google, you can do webdev. You might get results faster than learning programming from the ground up.

No

>4-5hours a day
And then you do what? If your answer is nothing, you got your answer.

Codeacademy, a good book relating to your interest, go to a university/college. There's actually more option than reason to this question.

While yes, I'm not really sure if you even know what you're on about. If it's for work ask your IT for advice on what they can supply for you.

I saw a 32gb ssd msata 2 for 12€, what do you think is too much?

I have a choice between a thinkpad w540 with these specs:
Lenovo ThinkPad W540 i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz 16GB 256GB 15.6" 2880x1620 K1100
for 950AUD second hand or a gigabyte laptop with these specs :
Core i7-4720HQ(2.60GHz, 3.60GHz Turbo), 17.3"FHD, 16GB-RAM, 2x128GB-SSD, 2000GB-HDD, GTX980M, DVD-DL, WiFi-n, Bluetooth, Webcam, Card Reader, VGA, HDMI, USB3.0, Windows 8.1
for 999AUD brand new.

It's for work that's entirely solidworks based, but I have to buy it myself. I'm happy to get a new laptop anyway so I can do my own solidworks and blender stuff on it but I'm struggling with the choice. it's my understanding that workstation cards are somehow better for CAD, but i also realise 8>2

solidworks.com/sw/support/shareyourscore.htm
I'd still go with the 980, but I hope that this helps to make up your mind on your own too.

What do I do now? I can't initialize the disk because I get a CRC error and I can't make a partition on it to run a check disk.

How can I make the drive usable? I don't care about the data on it, I want to repair it.

Attached: Capture.png (650x453, 20K)

Try changing sata cable and port.

wait, is that a USB stick?
It's probably just fucked.

In VLC why do I get stuttering with Direct3D11 video acceleration but not with DXVA 2.0? What's the difference and what could be causing it? I tried various drivers, same results

thanks for the advice user, if I could make up my mind if stay the fuck away from Jow Forums

If I buy an antenna for this does the coax plug need to be male or female? When I search for FM antennas they all seem to come with a female plug, while the socket on the radio already seems to be female.

Attached: antenna.png (204x152, 64K)

>And then you do what? If your answer is nothing, you got your answer.
What do you mean? I was under the impression that after a certain amount of time you just begin building and start learning more through solving the problems in your own code. I wouldn't apply for jobs without examples of my own projects.

film. I have no regrets about studying it as I enjoyed it, but the industry and rampant nepotism is not for me and neither is the social media/marketing type roles where those skills transfer (not very social person). I wasn't looking at webdev, but I have some digital art skills I could probably carry over.

It's a coming and going, just avoid sitting in front of it all day.

You've got definitely a female on picture, if you're sure your antenna is too, you might wanna get a male male cable

Attached: 2ETsCJf.jpg (1072x1440, 208K)

Yea it's a ZIF drive connected by USB.

Thank you so much user it worked!

>You've got definitely a female on picture
> you might wanna get a male male cable
STOP OPRESSING ME

Would there be any point in setting up a raspberry pi vpn server if it's still connected to my home network? Can the ISP still see the outgoing data from that server or is it encrypted?

I just bought a FreeSync monitor because it was on sale. I was planning to get a new 1070 ti in the near future, but would it be worth it to instead get a Vega 64 if I can find one at a humane price?

Is there an antivirus software that isn't complete botnet? Is Emsisoft good in that regard?

Common Sense Pro Plus 2019 Ultra edition

Where can I get official WIndows 10 1803 Enterprise ISO? Has to be untouched

is there any way to fast app search in menu on Android 8 (Xperia xz1)?
swipe down in menu used to start app search (z2 android 6.0.1)

Bump

Attached: 1521346650792.jpg (720x887, 382K)

uhm I can't reserve an ip for my device. the settings is like this:
>[1] 192.168.1.1 > [2] 192.168.0.1 > [3] 192.168.0.2 > [4] 192.168.0.106
where [1] is my main modem router, [2] is my first wired linked AP, [3] is my second wired linked AP linked to [2] and with dhcp disabled. [4] is the device I want to reserve the IP for. Since I have dhcp disabled on [3] I should not reserve the IP on that AP, so I did that on [2] but it keeps taking .106 as IP. is this impossible since my device is connected to an AP with dhcp disabled?

Are there any epub converters where you can separate the chapters an set info about the book in the metadata

grab the mediacreationtool from ms and it'll let you either do a tmp download and burn to usb or download an iso file to do what you want with

I recently got my hands on 8 20 year old computers. The most powerful of which had an Intel i5-750. What should I do with it? It'd be a waste to toss it but I have no idea what to do with such old hardware

Does anybody know how i use this to mount hdd's? Been looking for a while and can't figure it out.

Attached: 20180508_173553.jpg (3264x1836, 1.86M)

Can you elaborate, what are embedded images?

According to PRISM from a few years back, everyone has shadow profiles fed by all major tech companies, so all major tech companies are collecting data on everyone. They probably can't use all the data as part of their business model due to having to admit to collecting it, so i choose to believe this dystopian level intelligence only matters at a state level, and advertisers/businesses are sticking to the underhanded but mostly harmless crap mentioned in the terms of service.

You almost certainly should get a lawyer for this if its going to be part of your business.

dhcp requests get broadcast through the whole network if that's what you mean, but I'm not sure I understand your question desu

Which ports does DynDNS use?

basically settings an address reservation in my APs didn't work and I wanted to know why. I also re enabled dhcp since why not. In the end I set static ip on my client with dhcpcd but I would rather have router managed static IPs

is it bad that my phone is awake 25/7. how do I stop this

Attached: IMG_20180508_173147.jpg (720x286, 17K)

>i5-750
>4-core w/ turbo boost to 3.2GHz
That's still suitable for regular desktop use, perhaps fix it up and find someone that needs a basic desktop. I wouldn't use it as a server due to 95W TDP.

>25/7
holy shit that's not even human standard

Question:
Why bother trying to make 3nm CPU transistors ?
Why not just make the transistor grid bigger ?
It will be less expensive to make, no ?
I don't see the problem of using more material,
Maybe a problem of electrical power ?

im an ignorant but I think the smaller the faster

You need to
1) only have 1 device acting as a dhcp server
2) set that device to a range that excludes your static ip range.
I'm not sure how your dhcp server crosses subnets, but i would stick everything on the same subnet to make things easy, so 255.255.0.0 looking at your IPs. (Admittedly im not a networking guru.)

No because what make speed is, obviously, basically the number of transistor,
so, why trying to make more on a cm2 and not juste increase the surface ?

Smaller means less energy/voltage needed to power it. Less power means easier to cool so increased clockspeed. Also means they can fit more hardware in the die (lots of things from movie decoding to XML parsing now have hardware acceleration in modern CPUs.)

For general work on electronics, should I get the ESD-safe screwdrivers or the 1000V insulated ones? I do poke around in PSUs from time to time.

need *.0 because my father is lazy and he doesn't want to mess with the external antenna he's using to bring internet to his office 100m away from my home. I can just convert the whole system to *.0 but I'm lazy as well

So yesterday a friend of mine gave me this security camera. He said it worked but some features weren't working because he was using a (((mac))). It's made by a company called Edssz, but I couldn't find anything on the internet when I searched it up. My power supply is bolted to my desk in the garage and my router is in my room and I don't have any ethernet cables that are long enough to reach so I can't plug it directly into my router. I know it works though because when I plug it in the IR light turns on and it tracks my movement. Is there any way a winfag like myself can get it working? Thanks.

Attached: IMG_1517.jpg (3264x2448, 1.27M)

you can easily have more than one dhcp server as long as you make sure their ranges don't overlap

Is there a YouTube URL search filter for `Longer than 20 minutes` like those below?

For View count
&search_sort=video_view_count

For Rating
&search_sort=video_avg_rating

And upload date
&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

All i know is you will get issues if you have multiple DHCP servers leasing the same ranges, so ensure that isnt the case, then set the static ip exclusion on the server appropriate for that range. If you've already done this than i must have misunderstood.

In that case it would be better to get both, ESD-safe ones like the ones that come in iFixit kits are only good for about 8-10 volts. However, I work at a factory that makes electric engines and by 30v + the drivers start to get a lot heavier and harder to get into small places. I would just get both.

Pls respond

I think the side screws go through those guide rails, but that's just speculation. I have never seen those before. Did the case/pc come with any HDD carriers?

Yeah no, in my experience they either work or they dont

Friend, I don't think a RBP doesn't have the computing power to operate as a VPN server