Microsoft open source champion

Have you been paying attention Jow Forums? Did you realize Microsoft is now one of the biggest open source contributors and a rallying point of the open source community?

Attached: mstweet.png (612x721, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dotnet/roslyn
github.com/powershell/powershell
github.com/Microsoft/msbuild
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/03/18/msbuild-engine-is-now-open-source-on-github/
github.com/Microsoft/msbuild/pull/1/files
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents
catb.org/~esr/halloween/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pol & loonix fags on suicide watch.

An implication of this is that microsoft has more open source contributors than linux & related free software projects on github.

Doesn't vscode require you to pull in closed binaries during the build process?

is vscode really that great? i only hear about it here which kinda makes me wounder if people here are shilling it or is it actually good?

It's better than atom.
It is not (yet ?) as good as sublime text.
Keep using Emacs

lol not that i would ever switch

Attached: serveimage.gif (351x398, 105K)

>closed binaries
Prebuilt binaries with bindings. You can compile them manually if you want.

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

8pbp

This

Not surprising considering Linux doesn't use github for development.

Except it's not just "business as usual at MS", they know windows desktop era is over and they're making all their shit multi-platform to survive.

SQL Server 2017 on linux
Powershell now on linux
.NET Core (v3 announced) on linux
Most .NET stuff actively maintained is being ported over the .NET Core (to be run on linux) which as of .NET core 3 now includes WPF desktop crap (apparently).

Since they scrapped their smallest windows server project (windows nano? or something) I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they bought ubuntu or forked linux themselves.

>Microsoft is now one of the biggest open source contributors
>to a browser-based text editor
I'd not boast it if I was Microsoft.

E M B R A C E
X
T
E X T I N G U I S H
N
D

Attached: virtuagirl.gif (232x344, 100K)

It's not just vs code that's open source
pic related

github.com/dotnet/roslyn
github.com/powershell/powershell
github.com/Microsoft/msbuild
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/03/18/msbuild-engine-is-now-open-source-on-github/

Attached: msgithub.png (1122x340, 25K)

Nope. It's just standard MS bs/lies. I would like to see numbers though.

That's pretty stupid. The only thing that MS contributes is their own useless garbage and small tools. Nothing actually important for Microsoft is open-sourced. They are borderline not contributing to the established popular open-source project, except for azure-specific things in linux kernel. Can you name a single widely used open-source technology from Microsoft, except for vscode? .Net core usage is almost non-existent. Where is something big fully open-source tool from MS like docker or git from MS?

Not knowing much about MS platform is a badge of honor to you but its foolish to make comments about it. I linked projects that see widespread use here . I even missed typescript which is killing it in enterprise web dev. .net core isn't as popular as java, but it's seeing rapid adoption by existing .net/ms developers.

I've literally dug through the powershell and msbuild repos when diagnosing issues, and had responses and fixes from both those projects. If your complaining that microsoft is mostly contributing to their own open source projects and not linux/gnu that's quite hypocritical when the caliber of freetard contributions to microsoft projects is github.com/Microsoft/msbuild/pull/1/files (while funny, illustrates the point.)

Visual Studio Code is NOT vscode.
Visual Studio Code is NOT open source. It uses proprietary binaries which include telemetry and potentially other malware. If you want to have the true open source version, you have to compile vscode yourself. They are tricking people on their website thinking they can download the binaries of an open source product, but they are really downloading proprietary closed down software. Microsoft is very sneaky and underhanded this way.

>biggest contributor on github
>according to github
kek

It's free labor

Attached: Untitled.png (312x357, 99K)

Using GitHub doesn't mean it's open source. There's plenty of companies hosting their closed down codebases on GitHub.

M$ already has a Linux subsystem for Windows (to get devs to use windows) and a Linux based OS for its IoT devices.

Can i build php with msbuild on my pc with manjaro? Okay, nevermind manjaro. Is there any non-microsoft open-source project that can be build for windows and uses open-source msbuild for building by default? Is roslyn used somewhere except for microsoft projects? Is features from non-microsoft employes that works on roslyn accepted int main branch or it is only read-only repository+issue tracker?
> If your complaining that microsoft is mostly contributing to their own open source projects and not linux/gnu
Is microsoft contributing to the docker for windows? Windows support for git? Php/python/go or any other established non-ms project that can be used on windows?

Also, open source doesn't mean free software. There's lots of public repositories on Github that aren't FOSS friendly licensed.

"embrace. extend. extinguish."

Bob Grants - Founder and CEO of Men's Warehouse speaking about his strategy towards Linux and open source software

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

Attached: 9c9c6344237e6ed289624d290f4a599e.jpg (736x948, 65K)

Anyone trusting MS deserves exactly what they're going to get a few years down the line.

>to get devs to use windows
Most of the devs in the world are already Microsoft devs. The number of effective Linux devs is miniscule in comparison.

So you trust linux foundation ?

Tbh MS puts loads of effort in developers, tons of resources and info.

Look at this cool kid

Attached: 1525281029302.webm (654x428, 2.99M)

>github
>VS Code
Wow such open, meanwhile on github issues :
"I turned off telemetry but wireshark shows there is still data being send, how do I disable this properly?"
"Don't worry goy it's nothing"
Issue closed

linux subsystem for windows isn't to lure linux devs to windows, if anything its the other way around. nobody is stupid enough to think linux devs are going to jump shit because of a half-baked subsystem. It exists to smooth interoperability and to begin training windows devs in linux.

> open source
Cucked anyway. Free Software is the good stuff.

>omnivorous UK technology journalist; girl with the USB earring; author of 2 Windows 8 books & the Cassidy At Large technomysteries. warning; contains opinions

Attached: mary-branscombe.jpg (270x270, 11K)

>Linux are freetard
wew lad

Interesting. MS is getting all the NEET SC grads to code for free now.

EMBRACE

EXTEND

Loonix fag btfo'd.

Remove telemetry.

Attached: 1494695556349.jpg (282x295, 16K)

EXTERMINATE

But Atom is better than Sublime

Open but not Free

Call me when they license anything under the GNU GPL

Atom is the worst of the three. Least useful and slowest to boot. The fact its also the only one of the three with declining usage should confirm that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

catb.org/~esr/halloween/

I genuinely do not understand how the "MS Open Source" crowd can be so incredibly blind to the company's own fucking history.