What does Jow Forums think of Ethernet over Powerline (EoP)?

What does Jow Forums think of Ethernet over Powerline (EoP)?

I gave it a shot and purchased the Netgear PLP2000 (pic related) for $100 USD. I have a decent router and modem and 300mb internet, but still can't get good coverage upstairs in my house.

After some initial testing, it appears performance varies wildly depending on which outlet you use. The first test I did was only getting 26mb down, worse than WiFi, was very disappointed.

After messing around with different outlets for awhile I found a sweet spot and am getting ~155mb download upstairs.

Haven't tested gaming with it yet.

Thoughts?

Attached: 81v110gpo-L._SX425_.jpg (425x423, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00OTO99VY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Better than wireless, worse than Ethernet. Adapters can drop out randomly, you have to power cycle them to regain connection. It's an okay technology but highly dependent on the wiring in your home and the type of adapters you have.

Attached: detailed_briefing_colonel.jpg (1179x786, 270K)

I rent a bedroom from my landlady. The house doesn't have ethernet wiring through the walls, so it was either powerline or wireless. I hate wireless, so...

I get pretty good speeds on the local network. Not quite as good as ethernet, but still pretty good. Only problem is as another poster mentioned the adapters crap themselves now and then and you have to pull one out of the power socket for a few seconds and put it back in.

House is about thirty years old, so not a super new house either. It's always worth trying out different combinations of power sockets as the circuit itself can affect your connection, too.

I've had the same netgear adapters since Oct. 2016 and they've mostly worked fine.

I bought a $40 unit and it was a fairly noticeable improvement for me. Don't remember the brand off hand. Average download before it was 1-2 megabytes per second. Now it's more like 7-8 and I'm not experiencing my internet dropping all the time which was the major driver for me getting a power line unit. I do live in a fairly old pre-1950s house with old wiring and I'm probably not getting the maximum speeds I could possibly get but I got a decent boost and near constant internet uptime and I'm pretty happy with that. $40 well spent.

If you're in a new small house built to code they're great. They're worse than wireless in old houses or apartment buildings. Consider running ethernet through your walls yourself or pay an electrician to, it's surprisingly inexpensive and worth it.

It all depends on the wiring in your home. I have one since I wanted faster speeds that wireless but sometimes it just stops working for me and I need to plug it out and in again. Pretty inconsistent overall I've found.

OP here. Good replies. House was built in 2001, so pretty modern. The adapter crapping out thing scares me for gaming. We'll have to see how it goes I guess. Will be trying more combinations to see if I can get better than 155mb. Still about half my ethernet speeds, and better than the WiFi speeds I was getting upstairs so I can't complain thus far.

They're decent I found the same problems as you though. I've had random dropouts while using them, but those are very infrequent and if I leave them alone for a few minutes they normally sort themselves out without my intervention. Also wildly different speeds and stability depending on the socket I'm plugged into, I'm currently plugged into one further away from my desk than I would like as for some reason the one nearest my desk just doesn't work well at all despite the one on the other side of the wall in the same place working flawlessly. The adapters I'm using are just a set of TPLink ones.

for some reason I can get 7-8 MB/s on steam but only get 10Mbps on the google speed test. My ISP's speedtest I get 30-40Mbps. It's fucked.

GOG I get about 2-3 MB/s.

Downloading from my Google drive I've actually gotten 10MB/s.

Wireless is 10MB/s everywhere.

I get a little better than 5ghz wifi with mine. My router is on the main floor and my PC is setup in the basement. I've never had the adapters crap out on me or anything either. They've worked fine since I plugged them in.

I'd rather just run ethernet eventually, but the adapters are fine for now.

Was better than the Wifi for me when I had shit internet. I feel for people with multiple stories, no idea how you're supposed to have a decent ethernet setup like that. For me I just drilled a couple of holes and I'm set.
I would probably recommend just getting a better wireless setup if it doesnt work out

It's crap
It's kinda expensive and it generates massive radio jam
And as was mentioned before it's highly dependent on wiring

I got some decent success with it. My meshed WiFi network only used to get to 5mbps from the downstairs router. With powerline adapters, I managed to get up to 150mbps on my upstairs part of the meshed network, it's pretty comfy.

ISPs put speedtests on a special lane. Ping a remote server instead

If your house has Coaxial wiring, you're better off using MoCA 2.0 or Bonded MoCA 2.0 if you need gigabit speeds.

>ISPs put speedtests on a special lane
speak for yourself.

I get 850-900mbps on speedtest.net
I get 850-900mbps from microsoft servers, steam servers, torrents, etc.

Bought the one you have in pic related a couple weeks ago. Works great so far, speeds the same as Ethernet

>speeds the same as Ethernet
For WAN maybe, I doubt you're getting 1gbps LAN speeds through a powerline adapter though.

Aware me, does this work over aerial/cable TV cabling which is pretty common in old houses here?

Mine gives me the speed I would get directly connected to my router, but once in a while the adapters will disconnect from each other and i'll have to turn one of them off and on again at the mains, kind of annoying when i'm in the middle of something. They're okay but not perfect.

Of course.

You might want to use MoCA compatible splitters if your current coax wiring is using super old splitters or something.

amazon.com/dp/B00OTO99VY

Some users report being able to avoid disconnections by constantly pinging their router from their computer.

The constant pings keep the link active and stop the adapters from losing connection.

Unless the disconnection is being caused by high current power draw on the circuit or something.

It sucked between different circuits in the house, particularly on different floors. Worse than WLAN, actually, even if you have to use a repeater for weaker devices.

It was good on the same floor, but that wasn't the intended use. Unconvincing to me.

Only real issue with MoCA in my experience is ping times are a bit slower than pure ethernet.

Adds maybe 3-5ms.

Nothing compared to wifi pings though.

I'd rather bore through walls and lie ethernet than use a powerline adapter. PoE makes the process painless.

I use one in my apartment, since the cable line is in my living room. Speeds are pretty close to what I should be getting, and my connection and ping is great when doing some gaymen. Just like others say, I do get drop outs, but only when watching videos on JewTube???

I had similar behaviour - if I'm playing a game with constant internet communication, my connection very rarely drops.

But If I leave my connection "cold" for a bit I often come back to wonderful DNS resolution errors which requires a manual reset

Nearly broke my electrical wiring.
Don't fucking do it.

Oh and two long ethernet cables cost about half the amount of these adapters, just put it through the attic.

Never once had a Power line adaptor drop out, only lost connection due to a shitty trendnet switch
Maybe you shouldn't buy shitty Netgear adaptors and get a good brand like TP Link

>denies a fact that applies to a bunch of people just to brag about his fast internet speed
kys user

kek, no

The blanket claim
>ISPs put speedtests on a special lane
Is just factually incorrect.

SOME ISPs do that, but don't pretend all ISPs do because your ISP is fucking garbage.

Comcast and Charter do for sure
What makes you think Verizon or any of the others aren't doing that?

Net neu- oh wait.

How else would I get full speeds to other services then?

They have special fast lanes for microsoft, steam, AND torrents?

Come on.

They were doing it then too, dumbass

They could have been fined back then if it was true.

Verizon doesn't bother speeding up speedtests, their backbone has more than enough bandwidth for 1gbps customers to see full speeds.

The real issue is their peering points get saturated during peak hours, especially youtube peering.

1gbps downloads from steam or similar, but watching youtube at 6-10pm on a friday night and i'll be lucky if I can watch 720p without buffering.

Keep in mind that some of these anons bought poorfag tier powerline kits (which you did not) or live in a shithome. I have a set from devolo and they work great, never have them shit out on me and i get the same speed as i get on ethernet WAN. for lan i get around 500mb/s which is still allright.

I currently have a pair of TPLINK Gigabit powerline adapters to connect my downstairs router to my computer upstairs.

For £35 ($40), It's actually pretty good - I get around 940Mbps over LAN file transfers, and 38/10 for my Internet connection (I pay for 40/10 from BT).

retarded idea. if you have your wiring done properly you can easily add/replace another wire in your wall, because were are no longer living in the 50s.

I have never heard of these.

Can someone listen in on what your network is doing by plugging some kind of device into an exterior outlet?

Obvious lie. You didn't even try. 2.4GHz a low voltage high speed digital signal riding on top of a mains 120Vrms sine wave ain't gonna do shit to your wiring and it's not gonna affect any other appliances or electronics since everything will have decoupling capacitors and or common mode chokes that filter that shit out on their inputs.

The wiring in your house acts like a large antenna so anyone sitting in a van a mile away with a suitable receiver can listen to what your network is doing. That said if your traffic isn't encrypted in 2018 you deserve to be spied on.

You've got that backwards, he's getting better speeds from Steam and GDrive than he is from speedtests

Don't use it pls.
Introduces a bunch of noise into your power line throughout your entire house in order to achieve it's goal.
My amplifier sounded like shit, took me a little while to realize that it was due to powerline adapters.

They don't work very well, at least on UK circuitry. I keep getting disconnects every few hours or so.

>it appears performance varies wildly depending on which outlet you use.

This is true.

Two outlets on the same group will work much better than having to pass the signal though the switch box.
Helps to know the schematics of your wiring.

set up a script to ping your router every second.

helps stop disconnects.

I use it to connect my PC to my TV when I use plex, it's like 15m away. One thing I noticed is that it's very very unstable, and by that I mean sometime I could stream films with 15Mbps bitrate while other I couldn't even stream some 720p YIFY shit. That might have to do with my 20+ year old electric implant tho

>implant
fml, I obviously meant wiring

IDK what those are exactly but if they function how I think they do then just one TRIAC switch would obliterate the signal.

I use it on my gaymen pc for gaymen because wifi is asscheeks and I don't want to run an ethernet cord through my entire house.

I use it and it works fantastic.

Huge latency reduction compared to wifi, and I've never had an issue with it.