What if Microsoft had gone with Unix instead of Dos?

they originally planned this but abandoned the plans.
what if it had happened?

Attached: th.jpg (474x280, 27K)

MacOS but more popular.

/thread

>tfw there is a timeline where Microsoft is somewhat okay

Betcha it wouldn't look as nice as macOS

>macos
>looks nice

um, sweetie, have you ever seen KDE?

Yes. It's garbage.
Also
>two clocks

Friendly reminder that UNIX was trash in the 80s and 90s, and didn't get any good until BSDs and UNIX-clones appeared.

If Microsoft implemented a Unix, they'd simply do what Novell has tried for decades (only they'd be successful), and we'd be stuck with a trash *NIX and no clones and no POSIX.

>tfw there is a timeline where Microsoft is much worse.

>two clocks
Sure, if you add a second one yourself..
lurk more before shit talking, its embarrassing

>have you ever seen KDE
Yes. I use KDE.

Not him, but KDE is horeshit and utterly useless. It was the best DE in existence up until they decided to rewrite everything from scratch in version 4 and broke compatibility. I ditched it 10 years ago and I've never looked back.

t. disgruntled KDE 3 user

also not him but

>literally hasn't tried software in 10 years
>must still be shit

i don't even use kde, but last i tried (2 years ago) it had gotten much better.

Where?

Attached: file.png (1600x900, 1.06M)

>10 years
Cue GTK+ thumbnail view meme

Just because 10 years has passed, doesn't mean it's good and has somehow magically matured. KDE still clings on to the shitty plasma widget concept they introduced in version 4, which is flawed BY DESIGN. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

Giving your opinion isn't a friendly reminder.

never said gtk was good, dumbass. also, you do realize nobody is forcing you to use the widgets? iirc they don't really focus too hard on them anymore.

>didn't get any good until BSDs and UNIX-clones appeared
Friendly reminder that BSD has been here since the 70s you retard.

>shitty plasma widget concept
Then don't use it?

>never said gtk was good, dumbass.
Way to miss the point. The point is this: 14 years has passed, and yet a seemingly trivial feature has not been implemented despite recurring requests.

That's why I specifically said BSD clones, retard. You know, {Free|Open|Net}BSD...

>don't use plasma
Literally the only reason people uses KDE.

I use KDE bc its faster than GNOME on my system and I prefer Qt.

XENIX was originally sold to OEMs instead of directly to customers, so assuming MS would unify the whole thing into one distribution channel we'd end up with something like NT but better and more reliable.
It would probably implement most of POSIX but be subtly broken in some regards as to fit MS's EEE strategy.

>BSD clones
Those are not clones you faggot. They are a direct continuation of the original code base.

>They are a direct continuation of the original code base.
That would be a copyright violation, so nope.

>you can use other parts of the de while ignoring widgets
wow what a novel concept

>this one ui lib has a shitty filepicker thats been like that for years, therefore all parts of kde must be shit
is that your point?

>is that your point?
Your point was: HURR DURR 10 YEARS HAS PAST MAYBE IT HAS CHANGED?!!!!

My point is: When the foundation is flawed, it will remain shitty at the core regardless of the time spent.

Until they rewrite from scratch and ditch plasma entirely (no, not the widgets you fucking dimwit, the plasma concept), it is retarded.

How can you use modern KDE without using plasma? Are you confusing widgets for plasma?

Of course not you autist. Current *BSDs are based on 4.4BSD Lite which doesn't have any proprietary parts and is permissively licensed.

>Are you confusing widgets for plasma
Probably to be honest

>HURR DURR 10 YEARS HAS PAST MAYBE IT HAS CHANGED?!!!!
considering I've used it in the past 10 years and you haven't, i think my judgement might be a bit more valid.

>Current *BSDs are based on 4.4BSD Lite which doesn't have any proprietary parts
Except 386BSD (which is the basis of FreeBSD and NetBSD) was sued, and they avoided the lawsuit by rewriting the entire code to not include any of the proprietary parts of 4.4

Considering that you are mentally retarded and impaired cognitively, underlined by the fact that you think plasma is synonymous with widgets, I'd say that your judgement is worth dogshit.

lol

Oh wow, you really are brain-dead.
The work on 386BSD began before the lawsuit with AT&T (based on 4.3BSD) so of course it contained the parts that AT&T claimed were proprietary.

Windows would be a standard OS, instead of forcing their own shittier """standards""" onto people.

People wouldn't use it because it would be too slow. Average desktop computers couldn't really handle complex OS's like BSD or NT until late 90s.
friendly reminder that unix went to shit after sixth edition.

Attached: plan9bunnywhite.jpg (1376x1492, 164K)

>friendly reminder that unix went to shit after sixth edition.
Agreed

>complete rewrite
>b-b-b-but it's still unix by heritage
BSDfags clinging to straws

I'm waiting for the part where you're claiming you were only pretending.

>i-i-i-it's not a clone, i-it's a proper UNIX!!!

The future that could've been

Attached: Apple_Unix_with_Netscape.png (640x480, 127K)

>they originally planned this but abandoned the plans.
What plan was that? IBM never wanted the PC to be a Unix system, it was a business machine competing with CP/M boxes for fuck's sake, nobody in that market needed or wanted such an expensive and resource-heavy operating system, and it wasn't even viable on the PC until the 286 came out.
PC/IX and Xenix were always expensive options for users who absolutely needed a multi-user/multi-tasking operating system, they were never going to replace DOS at any point, rather DOS was intended to grow in capability to occupy their roles (something which never ended up happening either)

we’d be getting fucked in the ass by someone other than Microsoft as the PC would have become just another one of IBM’s expensive personal computing blunders that didn’t understand its target market

nobody wanted an expensive weak-ass multi user system trying to be something it would never be, PCs were not workstations

Then Jow Forums would be bitching about how shit Unix is and would fetishize DOS

VMS would be a lot more popular here

Multi-user home PCs were a mistake.

>$900 for the operating system alone
lol no

yes, but i don't like it at all. i don't like it even more than windows 10 gui for some reason. cinnamon is really great and stable (mint implementation at least - it just werks™ on laptops).

Qt applications look like shit, KDE has terrible icons too.

>Qt applications look like shit
>GTK+ applications look like shit
>Ncurses applications look like shit

Just stop it. All applications look like shit. They’re not supposed to look good. They’re supposed to work and they’re supposed to be easy to use.

In a couple of years when the design paradigm changed again, today’s applications that don’t look like shit will, guess what, look like shit.

Illiterate, or just too lazy to brush up on a comment chain before injecting your retarded opinion into it?
You can make excuses for it and cry about how "it's just supposed to werk and be easy" all you want, it looks like shit. That's the debate, not whether your mediocre ass cares about it or not. If all you want is something that just werks, why are you even here? Just get a Mac and fuck off. Some people want more out of their system than something that just does its job and nothing else.

>Over priced computer instead
lol no

Attached: 1524750798151.png (959x720, 447K)

What?

Assuming they would "extend" UNIX away from POSIX, like the dickheads they are

>caring about posix compliance
>supporting posix
Hello undergrad