8gb of ram has been the standard for 10 years now

>8gb of ram has been the standard for 10 years now
Why did technology stop progressing?

Attached: ram-500x500.jpg (500x262, 27K)

>needing 8gb
Bougie as fuck. 4gb is more than enough for most users. It's called efficiency.

Since when was 8GB "standard" in 2008?
Maybe on high end PCs at the time but 2-4GB was what you mostly found on new PCs at the time. It's only now that you are finding 8GB on anything that isn't sub $300 bottom-end PCs

Why would you ever need more than four GB? Are you using chrome?

It didn't. RAM just got too expensive.

Except it wasn't. Check Steam's records if you believe that crap.

If technology progressing means being subjected to more and more bloat, then I am perfectly okay with stagnation. 8gb should be more than enough for another decade.

Attached: 469028d51eac49932098facf9bba2830.png (500x400, 175K)

Attached: Capture.png (1288x1026, 50K)

It's relatively easy to make games run on less ram for consoles so they never put more than they absolutely had to in them, and all the devs lived with that.
Obviously cad users and other professionals used wayy more than 8gb.

The increases aren't as high as in the last decade. Steps between CPU generations were 50-100 % in the early 2000s, currently 5 % steps are common.

>8GB of RAM has been the standard for 10 years
Are you high? 8GB started becoming a standard around 2012-early 2013. In 2011 the standard was 4GB of RAM if I remember correctly. 8GB was insane in 2011.

>he thinks 8gb ram is still standard
Hate to break it to you, user, but if your Desktop PC doesn't have at least 16gb in 2018, it's shit.

My 800 € HP workstation PC came with 2 GB in 2007

>wangblows
Found your problem.

You BTFO'd those brainlets.

Stupid linux toddler.

We've had plenty of hardware for at least 20 years; it's the software that's lacking.

Problem?
The problem would be using Linux and not being able to play games with my friends.

This.

I run Linux exclusively and I find Xonotic satisfies my gaming needs, although I find I play less games as I get older

I stopped playing toys when I was 8 years old.

Sounds like a bad childhood. I only stopped playing with LEGO because my computer got more interesting when I was around 13.

That's what game consoles are for.

Never heard of, and no one of my friends plays it.
That's very mature of you. I'm almost 30.
Consoles are shit, we all know it.

>That's very mature of you. I'm almost 30.
Yikes.

Why would anyone ever need more than 640K of memory?

Macfags and their “low battery” RAM and everyone trying to “copy” Apple. I have a real laptop with 32GB.

Wow bro you're so cool for hating on Apple and having a laptop with twice the amount of RAM you even need. High five broski!

Attached: image.jpg (644x800, 79K)

Yet here you are using a strawman to attack some anonymous person on the internet. How mature of you.
By the way video games are just interactive simulations of anything you can imagine. They are an incredibly complete medium for representation of just about anything.

same user, at around 12 I sent my legos to space and started going more on my PC. where I met Jow Forums.

Yeah, you can use your imagination with a superman doll, too, doesn't mean playing with it is an artistic medium.

I have a 32GB-ready laptop and I bought only one 16GB bank of RAM, since I believe an upgrade to 32GB in the foreseeable future would be needed

I'm almost 40, what do I win?

A free prostate exam

luckily enough, I've a 25 yo buddy who exams my prostate on a daily basis

no homo

One firger or two?

>TFW no BF who exams my prostate

I hope you're posting fake quotes ironically?

>thinks 8GB standard is bad
>too underage to remember when 256MB was standard for years during the early 2000s and resulted in millions of Windows XP machines taking 15 minutes of hard drive suffering just to boot up

>tfw no longer RAMlet
bought a 16 gig set of memory, feels good not having to close programs anymore

That wasn't necessarily because of the RAM though, it was because hard drives are slow

A combination of slow HD and lack of RAM because the system was paging from all the installed bloatware, a common occurrence for pre-builts. 256MB wasn't sufficient and it took ages for 512MB to become common place. Taking one of these machine and putting in another 256MB stick is like giving it a new lease of life.

>Recently upgraded the memory of my HTPC to 16 Gb
>No differences to 8 GB
>Lots of programs open

>TFW 1.5 GB in my laptop 2006
Felt like a king

>Why did technology stop progressing?
Not enough gamers in this world to push the envelope forward any more.

I had a lot of legos and built shit even after I got a computer and it was interesting, only stopped playing with them completely when games came out that allowed me to play with infinite amounts of legos, not just a 30 pack of legos for 10$

could never get into 3d modeling, far to un intuitive

Exactly this was what I did, leveldesign for CoD. I didn't play regular COD anymore, I just experimented and played mods.

Illegal price fixing by DRAM manufacturers. I think I remember hearing about a fine coming their way soon.

are we going to call something poverty tier standard or what?

8gb, when windows 7 rolled around, was affordable, but was still in the realm of you don't need it. Hell, personally the moment I got an ssd something like 7 ot 8 years ago I also got 8gb of ddr2 ram for I think 100-150$

then 3-4 years ago 8gb eas fuckin painful so I got 16gb of ddr2 for 30$ holding out for zen to come out

now im running a 1700 and 32gb of ddr4 and thanks to chrome I still find 32 gb to not be enough

People like me. Price goes down: I buy and update. Price is the same: I look more at it. Price goes up: I dont update.
Coin miners have near made a total standstill of the PC gaming community. Honestly may have affected VR advancement.

>stop progressing
>using 8 gigs in 2018
are you a ramlet op ?

Attached: ramlet.png (202x60, 1K)

>10 years
No, more like 5 years.

Then uninstall Chrome and download an actual good browser.

you have chrome and chrome based browsers, and you have firefox.

chrome is the less shit choice

I use a lot of web tabs for research.

DESU 12gb is the ideal amount of memory. But at that point you might as well get 16gb.

Well, get a better Chrome based browser, like Opera. Firefox is better than Chrome by the way.

Why do we need to progress?
99% of the retards out there don't know what to do with current computers, why allow for more bloat?

open every page on a Jow Forums board as a stress test, then if the browser does not lock up close them and see if you get the performance back.

FF still holds onto the fucking ram and needs to be reset when you do this, chrome just asks for more resources and does not give one fuck.

IfI have to use a version of chrome, im going to use what the most people use as its the best bet to getting all the extensions/scripts to not having weird issues.

You do realize optimization on a PC and optimization on a console are very different, the g board isn't for you, idiot

RAM shouldn't account for 50% of computer cost.

Yeah that 4 gig is probably the shit you have installed, it's pointless showing ram usage since everyone's usage is different, you just wanted a way to justify throwing that much money on something you don't use 20% of

multiplats

it didnt for me
bought it at the time when it was pretty cheap

what kind of shitbox are you running that 32gb even at this inflated price is half the cost?

hardware evolved, data sets didn't
few home users multitask enough to justify a 16/32GB standard and memory is expensive enough as it is
plenty of cheap mainstream shitboxes shipped with 8GB/1TB disk as early as 2008-2009

Just play super tux kart you fuckass

Because ramlets are too cheap to invest in powerful computing technology.

Which then leads to even more bloated software that doesn't take advantage of the genuine power that we now have.

you sound mad bro ya ok ?

>8gb of ram has been the standard
wait when did that happen?

Attached: Screenshot_20180508_155634.png (660x279, 3K)

>t. faggot communist that's poor af

memory prices are mostly affected by the huge cloud infrastructure and data center rollouts

A while ago.

Attached: Screenshot_20180508_131929.png (658x37, 4K)

prebuilts were being stuffed with a fuckton of RAM back when it was cheap in order to give an impression of "higher specs". Now we're at a point where common shit could actually use all that RAM.

There is no "standard" RAM size. Nothing is stopping you from buying more either. More RAM in a typical PC doesn't mean progress either. I have 64GB of RAM at home. I've hit up to 32GB usage before.

This. I forgot when 8gb became the standard. Was it 5 years ago?

i only have 4GB, and even then, I rarely go above 400-500MB in terms of actual use.

I don't get why people would need more unless they're running multiple VMs or opening something like 200 tabs full of javascript

same here. it's just marketeers telling you to buy more ram, even when you don't need it. or people that don't realise that they've been brainwashed into shilling for free. it's sad really.

This. 4gb was the average in 2008 with most midrange laptops at around 2gb. The X58 I built in '08 was 6gb which was mildly above average. Then a year later I added another 3x2gb and shot for the clouds with a heady 12gb. I was an absolute madman.
Also, triple channel memory is cute.

I can't get by on that, but most users needs don't exceed a few internet tabs for facebook and an office app or two

when using chrome

Attached: ThoseFeels.png (822x694, 65K)

>>itt retards who think they have low ram usage when they are actually thrashing their storage 24/7

This

WIth a couple chats and a couple tabs...

windows is retarded

Attached: ghey.png (1905x955, 64K)

GOOD
you're using ram instead of storage

10 years ago, "vista ready" normie shit was still shipping with 512mb I shit you not.

Just because you're using 4 gigabytes with 8 times the amount of memory in windows, doesn't mean someone with 4 gigs would be using 4 gigs

Through much effort, I manage to game on linux.
WINE is really good these days, 90% of games more than a year old or so work right out of the box, some games even work right on release.
They even have a good bit of DX11/12 support now.

So much bloat Jesus Christ you might aswell install micro torrent at this point

WINE supports pre-Win7 games better than W10 does.

here, and I pretty much never go into swap, to the point where I'm wondering if there's any point in it at all

Eight gigs was standard in 2008? I'm pretty sure I was running a Pentium 4 machine that had maybe 1 gig of memory.

I was running a Phenom II with 4GB, which was considered overkill for most people.

If that is actually true, that's sad as fuck.

My 2009 laptop had 8 gig, the one I got in early 2016 has 32

>Pentium 4

Attached: image.jpg (447x437, 33K)

But 16GB is the standard now? The only reason you don't see more people with 32GB is a mixture of high prices right now and for laptops, the limit of LPDDR3. Otherwise you would see plenty of people opting for it.

name one of those that are bloat