/ctg/ - Coffee Technology General

No technology runs without coffee, let's discuss our favourite refreshing drink!

Beans or preground?
Espresso machine with grinder or french press?
Manual grinder and boiler or full automatic machine?
Why are capsule plebs disgusting?
Is Dolce Gusto even a coffee system?

Attached: 1525702707369.jpg (2048x1365, 493K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mky3gR8hNFo
cartelcoffeelab.com/
duluthcoffeecompany.com/
us.foursigmatic.com/collections/mushroom-coffee/products/mushroom-coffee-with-lions-mane-chaga
maxicoffee.com/moulin-manuel-coffee-mill-skerton-100g-hario-p-2873.html
peacecoffee.com/shop/yeti-cold-press-blend
chameleoncoldbrew.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bialetti masterrace

Better than french press/expresso ?

just use amphetamines retards

The Kirkland Colombian coffee is pretty good.

GS3 faggot

youtu.be/mky3gR8hNFo

Rate my buy. Btw I only drink the best.

Attached: coffe.jpg (499x308, 59K)

mr. coffee is under rated

preground because I'm lazy
french press
don't care since I buy preground
I dunno man it's kinda gay
I don't care it's for niggers

Lately I stopped doing coffee at home, if I want some I'll make instant I've hit rock bottom I know, but when I'm out I'll usually go to a cafe and get nice black coffee, something I've been unable to replicate at home, and no I'm not gonna buy a fucking grinder with elephant tusks and coffee beans from ultra underground plantation from fucking nicaragua ok I cbf

Water.

I've been waking up and just drinking water for the past few years and it works.

Maybe because I'm only 25, but still, I've never felt the need for coffee.

does this taste like coffee? is it sweet or bitter?

Not that poster, but monster java is my fav energy drink.

It’s quite sweet, but it depends on the flavor. Vanilla is the least tasty, Salted caramel is the best imo.

Most energy drinks are anhydrous caffeine based and you metabolism that differently than coffee, which I find to feel less pleasant. These have espresso, and anhydrous caffeine which have a potentiating effect, as well as 100%+ daily vitamin values and other supplements.

It’s essentially coffee and other drugs in a can. I get it when coffee alone doesn’t cut through the sleep dep. Amphetemines are probably better, but I quit harder stims a while ago.

Talk me out of falling for the Aeropress meme

Attached: 41eULbaUatL._SX425_.jpg (425x417, 25K)

I'd fall for it if I had 30 bucks to waste... Seems a lot easier than french press, less cleanup and such

get a v60 instead

maintaining and actually owning anything these days that need cleanings.

Starbucks every day bro, why u gotta do shit yourself? its not 70's anymore.

Attached: 12123123123124124.jpg (856x860, 154K)

Why do people keep talking about energy drinks in a coffee general?

i've had one for a couple of years, the only flaws i've found:
only makes 1 cup. if you have friends (don't laugh, it could happen)
you need to make a brew with multiple scoops and pour the concentrate into a jug and top up with hot water.

sometimes if you are too hasty, the seal will break and a jet of scalding coffee will spurt up your arm (gets worse as the device ages, but you can buy replacement rubber bungs)

sometimes you run out of papers at the worst possible moment.

otherwise a nice device to have

Toddy cold brew master race

I like this new general, keep it up!

> paying $4.50 for a cup of ok coffee
> $4.50 x 365
> paying $1,642.50 per year for ok coffee

Attached: 1404095190546.png (246x145, 52K)

This is a good general

I got this thing for making coffee directly into my zojirushi mug to take to college. Works pretty well, I think I need to mess with how coarse my grind is though.

Attached: overst-piece-metal-filter-coffee-set__0551091_PE658381_S4.jpg (500x500, 30K)

le creuset french press

whole beans only

light roast

small batch roasted

if the beans are super dark and oily they were roasted too long and cooked out all the goodness. It will taste like battery acid.

A couple good examples of enjoyable coffee:

cartelcoffeelab.com/
or
duluthcoffeecompany.com/

Tried this stuff and it's pretty amazing too - not totally coffee but good.

us.foursigmatic.com/collections/mushroom-coffee/products/mushroom-coffee-with-lions-mane-chaga

Attached: press.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Shout out to loose leaf organic teas too. Green teas, black teas, herbal teas, all kinds.

This is a good investment.

Attached: bo-tea-pot-us_03_1500x1500.jpg (1500x1500, 351K)

Oolong is best tea, fight me

Didn't you fucks have a thread on /ck/? Stop pollluting other boards with off topic generals.

Hot water and plastic
mmmmm
yum

I've had one for 2 years user. It is great.
much easier to clean. push the compressed puck of grounds into the trash can and rinse everything off.

Oolong is good

Will still fight you

1-800-FIGHT-ME

the plastic doesn't taint the water, its a special kind of plastic

In my opinion, yes. I alternate between my Bialetti moka pot and my percolator. I only use my French press if I need to put on a bit of a show for guests. The moka has a consistent flavor that gets better with each use. Don't wash the Bialetti with soap, but make sure to rinse it with hot water

Man fuck these faggot ass coffee threads on Jow Forums. Can someone explain to me why they aren't confined to

Took the no caffeine red pill a few weeks ago, starting to finally feel good again. Caffeine is one of the most awful drugs you can ever do and is extremely physiologically addicting. Stop doing it and get back to feeling how you're suppose to feel.

How do you feel different?

They are full of shit and talking out their ass. They are no different then any other self righteous faggot that make a minor change in their daily routine and preach to everyone they meet. Truth be told, caffeine, like every other vice is all about moderation. Some can be beneficial. Too much is detrimental. Its all about balance.

>Beans
>French Press
>Manual Grinder
master race

I'm addicted as fuck to coffee and now i'm using green tea to cut back. Went from drinking 2-3 pots a day to one cup in the morning, then 2-3 strategically timed cups of green tea in the afternoon.

I don't usually drink coffee, because I'm not a disgusting druggie

instant coffee at work

this triggers the Jow Forums

Attached: 51DfxE+G0FL._SY450_[1].jpg (322x450, 20K)

I've stopped drinking caffeine and I don't feel different until I try caffeine now. I had a diet coke the other day and I could feel it for the next 40 minutes and it didn't feel good. It's a psychoactive drug which you build tolerance to. Switching to water was something I wanted to do for ages and struggled to do but now I've made the switch I feel good about it

Imo you should try no caffeine for 2 weeks and if you feel no different just hop back on board the train

Hell yea, oolong 4 lyf

Literally just grind your own beans in any $20 grinder and only buy enough coffee for about a week so you're always using fresh beans.

The difference between home grinding and preground is substantial, even when just doing drip brew with grocery store beans.

Mr. Coffee master race

There's a recipe on the aeropress youtube channel to make 3 cups of servings

but in general if you're serving more than say two people you probably want another device

You're completely full of shit. I actually listened to one of you retards last year and did six whole weeks without any caffeine. It was terrible. After two days the caf crash was gone. A week later the little urges to get coffee when I felt tired went away. The remainder of the time was spent just being generally not that productive. I ended up having slow mornings, meh afternoons, and exhausted evenings every single day. I started letting my house turn into a mess because every day after work I just felt too tired to clean anything.

The day I ended the experiment I nursed a single cup of coffee all day and instantly returned to normal productivity. Caffeine is wonderful.

I actually bought one of these mugsy things on kickstarter.
> in 4 IoShit
It's a coffee machine with a rpi in it. I think it's gonna be fun.

Attached: 21766698_1465672466852617_7989779814178821852_n.jpg (960x639, 74K)

>calling capsules disgusting but offering preground as a legitimate choice or preference

Why manual gronder ?

Not him but automatic ones are fucking terrible and leave behind a ton of fine dust that over-extracts/burns almost instantly when brewing. When I bought a $35 french press it came with a manual grinder and that grinder has done a better job than $100+ automatics I've bought and returned

I have found this grinder maxicoffee.com/moulin-manuel-coffee-mill-skerton-100g-hario-p-2873.html it's enough or i go with the lido 3 ?

I tried both bought cold brew and made my own.

Cold brew fucking sucks, the worst meme I tried so far.

what do you dislike about it?

Properly made cold brew is some of the smoothest strongest coffee I've had.

There are beans roasted specifically for cold brew... peacecoffee.com/shop/yeti-cold-press-blend

also try chameleoncoldbrew.com/

Hario Skerton is enough as a girnder, or lido 3 ?

Cold brew master race reporting in.

Got 2 mason jars in the fridge, how about you?

At least tell us what the fuck it is and what rpi stand for.

For cold brew, do you use more coffee grounds than when making hot coffee?

If I drink iced coffee is that the same as having a cold brew?

Attached: t3_67olq7.png (1200x992, 144K)

I like the Starbucks columbian blend. Never had Folgers so I'm going to try it next

1lb to 9 cups of water

I was always wondering this - how and why do some ppl order coffee in the morning in a coffee shop? The fuck would I dress up clean my face all asleep traveling to get my morning cup when you can just do it yourself when leaving home within 4 minutes? The whole point of the coffee in morning is wake up mojo before leaving the house.

Attached: 6Swh.gif (500x225, 958K)

Also, cold brew makes a concentrate in case you didn't know, 3x as strong as normal coffee

La merde française dans toutes vos bouches

And how many cups you get with that?

People in cities go to coffee shops to socialize and convince others to invest in their retarded ideas, often involving coffee

The whole point of the Starbucks experience is to go in with your most hipster-looking getup, bring in your Macbook Airs, order overpriced, burned coffee or sugar bomb latte, sit down, connect to their wifi, and pretend that you're doing important work to impress the wamens while you're actually just browsing facebook, being a total tool and waste of space.

Then there are the other cockholsters that hold business meetings there just to boost each other's status as successful and valuable businessmen.

>all the plebs here that drink coffee for it's energizing properties

cockholsters use wework which is even worse

Back in college, I barely ever drank water, because I'm a wuss who demands instant gratification so I'd only drink flavored stuff. So I was pretty much mainlining black tea and yerba mate as my only liquid intakes. At some point I scarfed down too much chocolate too quick, and had a massive labyrinthitis episode. I thought I was fucking dying, I could barely sit down beside the garbage bin in order to puke, which I ended up not even doing.

Thus I learned the tea plant, specially as black tea, and yerba matte have a lot of caffeine, and the substance, as well as chocolate's theobromines, directly affect your innver ear, and the blood sugar peak from eating too much chocolate too fast makes it all even worse, wew

J'baise ta mère la grosse chienne

I always thought these things tasted gross, but it's been a long time since I've drank one. For how expensive they are (where I live over $3.50 before tax for a 16 ounce can) I wouldn't recommend trying unless you get it on sale.

Don't think you belong here

Attached: villiersej4.jpg (595x405, 58K)

bought a pour over filter and a thermos. already had electric kettle. coffee is solved.

Disgusting dirt water for the unrefined.

Same reason the watch threads aren't on /fa/

A handful of faggots thinks that thier particular idea of 'board culture' is worth several less actual technology threads and fucking the board. Special autistic snowflakes.

Beans or preground?
beans
Espresso machine with grinder or french press?
aeropress because i'm poor and does the job of both for $30
Manual grinder and boiler or full automatic machine?
manual
Why are capsule plebs disgusting?
because they prefer speed to taste
Is Dolce Gusto even a coffee system?
no
current setup:
>aeropress
>honduran french roast (whole bean) from a small company i can't pronounce
>laura lynn spring water because the tap water up here is shit
>brew it at 160F and then shock it with ice when it's done brewing
>add butter, cayenne, and whisky if i wan't my life more interesting for that particular afternoon

Moccamaster + capresso master race

Single origin coffee
Always whole bean
Roasted within the past month
Grind only when ready to make
Burr grinder always
Manual brew methods, never auto
Water at a perfect 200ºF

These are the truths of a perfect cup of coffee

I got tired of cleaning the French Press Plunger (as I insisted on having the plunger be perfectly clean) so I bought a Pour Over with a Mesh Filter and after I let the coffee steep for several minutes I just filter it through that.

Upside: Just as good as French Press Coffee. Way easier to clean. No Plunger cleaning
Downside: You got two coffee containers you have to clean instead of one.

If you're annoyed by the French Press top like me give it a try.

Fully agree except I think 205F is better.

yes, 200-205 is always a safe bet for consistency

>what rpi stand for
wellcum to Jow Forums

coffee is bad for you and destroys your sleep and your gut.

>Beans or preground
Beans, bought every 3-4 days

>Espresso machine with grinder or french press
Manual grinder, french press

>Manual grinder and boiler or full automatic machine
See above, and Kenmore kettle

>Why are capsule plebs disgusting
Convenience

>Is Dolce Gusto even a coffee system
No opinion

>le creuset french press

How fancy. My mom has a Le Creuset casserole dish that she shills every time someone is over for dinner. Thing is practically indestructible, gotta give it that.

I personally use a cheap IKEA French Press. Works okay but seems to lose heat pretty easily. Does the Le Creuset do anything about the heat issue?

In second year university I was at the height of my caffeine addiction. Drank 7-8 cups of coffee a day. I had this permanent "floaty" feeling, as if my mind and body were detached from one another. I was pissing constantly and my mouth was dry because I was so dehydrated (I would drink 1 cup of water for every 2 cups of coffee but this wasn't enough). Didn't feel good and it actually affected my performance in class. I feel much better now that I'm off the stuff.

Going cold turkey is completely shit; believe me I tried that in December 2016 and it did not end well. I started slowly weaning myself off caffeine starting in summer 2017, and midway through third year I was off it completely. I feel much better now; I have no trouble concentrating, I stay alert for longer periods of time, and I can think more clearly. The key is to get plenty of sleep (at least 7 hours a day, but preferably 8) and exercise regularly, even 2-3 times a week for an hour each time is fine, but if you can even get half an hour of walking in on your off days, that is better still.

>Burned
This is my major complaint with Starbucks. The product is overpriced, yeah, whatever. But it's overpriced while simultaneously being irredeemably shit, which is 100x worse. Every cup I've ever gotten from them, across the country, has been burned. I swear they're heating their brew in a fucking blast furnace for how totally destroyed every nuance of flavor is. You can taste the sadness of ruined coffee through all the flavoring and sugar too. It's just pathetic.

coffee is a s.o.y.-tier boost

The blond roast(ie) is okay, but McDonalds has undeniably better coffee for half the price. And it's not like they're a bastion of quality either.

In Canada, Second Cup always had better coffee, but they're getting consistently murdered by Starbucks. Not as much in the way of marketing dollars or coolness factor for the hip millennial crowd. Which I think is really unfortunate, even if I don't buy their stuff that often.

The worst, in my opinion, is Tim Hortons. People treat it like some sort of national icon but the coffee tastes like heated dishwater unless you load it with sugar and cream, and the baked goods are all crap. As bad as Starbucks is, it can never be this bad. You're better off paying $4.50 for their burnt shit than you are paying $1.79 for completely irredeemable rubbish.

Attached: second-cup-storefront-1.jpg (1600x2133, 199K)

I've never had their blonde roast but I have had lots of McD coffee and yeah it's not awful.

Next time my choice in coffee is Starbucks or bust, I'll order blonde.

Hello, I'm trapped in a rural town in England, also known as coffee hell.
Only really has a Costa, which serves awful coffee and the local cafés, despite having decent beans, aren't very good at turning them into something enjoyably consumable.
How does one into coffee?

About 8 cups, so 24 cups of strong coffee per pound

Starbucks wants a consistent product but starts with a wife variety of beans. So they over roast it to kill the nuances

Still sounds better than Costa, nothing but hot and overpriced milk.

It hurts to say it, but while I can't say that McDonalds coffee is good, it's by far and away the best out of the major chains. It's depressing that people waste money on Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. If you're going to drink garbage you might as well drink better garbage that happens to be cheaper as well. Though I McD stopped doing their $1 any-size-coffee deal, not sure how much it is now.

get a french press and go buy some grounds you fuckwit

Taylors of Harrogate is a good brand. Try our their lazy sunday roast for a mellow start

Thanks, bro.