How would an interplanetary internet work?

How would an interplanetary internet work?

Attached: ethernet.jpg (620x349, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ceptr.org/
holochain.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication
radio-electronics.com/info/propagation/path-loss/free-space-formula-equation.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are we assuming some sort of instant quantum communication?

If yes then like today but with those links in place.

If no then like today on earth, but a separate infrastructure on say Mars with "slow" light speed links connecting earth and Mars. Kind of like accessing amazon.co.uk vs amazon.com. Amazon.com vs amazon.mars.

Very slowly and expensively.
Probably would be easier to just have cloned servers and only have a few services that allow interplanetary communication

>tfw 1,500,000ms delay

Attached: 1524483663623.png (646x595, 323K)

What if they set up relay buoys between Earth and Mars?

just put a really long ethernet cable on the rocket and plug it in when you get there

Seems good to me.

Attached: 1524365956061.jpg (741x568, 73K)

local planetary networks connected by delay tolerant networking
we went over this 15 years ago, where have you been?

Sorry user, but Cat6e can't even extend 100 million miles

Attached: 1495245439993.png (545x530, 234K)

>have to research some stuff on the internet
>open a bunch of websites
>go fuck around for at least 20 minutes

This is gonna be some fun alright

Satellites that would use lifi ? Light is the fastest thing we got
I guess we would neee one transmitter and one receiver

Idiot.

Well obviously they'd be delay tolerant, but why is a series of relay buoys in space a bad idea?

What about active cables and repeaters

High latency, to the tune of 5-20 minutes. But if we really cared enough there wouldn't be any bandwidth constraint.

Your typical internet service would be "independent" and likely be mirrored on Mars, for example there would be Martian root DNS servers, all the big cloud providers would have special Martian instances, there would be big Martian caches, etc.

The only effective way to communicate back and forth would be via e-mail. You could still have radio/TV streams but they would be delayed to fuck.

What would be the purpose? Adding additional hops for pretty much no reason just increases delay and the opportunity for something to fail.
Consider suicide

It would be easy. Send me 0.25 ETH to my address which i will post shortly and i'll tell you my idea

Based on entangled particles. By the time we need internet to mars or wherever. That will be a thing.

Bitcoin and most other cryptocurrencies would be unusable because the block time would be higher than the network latency. There would be a fork.

Post your address then

What if it was all congrouous and used photon particles that we're accurately aimed between buoys?

spooky action at a distance

I hope we never build faster than light communication. I really like the idea of Mars having a mostly separate network for ideas to develop independently.

idk if he'll fall for this bait

Or quantum networks will only be available to the Federation

who the fuck is going to be trading memecurrency on mars

Attached: cashmoney.jpg (500x364, 49K)

Kek, enough shitposting from me then. Alright, why not just use LiFi like said? Seems plausible in the coming decades

Blockchain

Attached: here's the deal.jpg (200x200, 16K)

Wormhole generators establishing an extremely small tunnel between two entities and allowing for faster-than-light information travel.

ayy lmao

Attached: alien_on_computer.jpg (150x226, 8K)

MICRO SD CARD OVER FLYING SAUCER

> IPOUFO

and im deadly serious

Attached: contact.png (688x320, 153K)

Li-fi link with massive bandwidth, FTL information travel is in the realm of sci-fi according to current knowledge even with quantum effects

Itll be like having dialup all over again

We'll see a warp drive before we'll see Quantum interspace networks

Attached: 1500159771573.jpg (240x320, 24K)

/thread

I know you guys are consumer whores so I will enlighten you.

Communications via light (fibre optics) already exists, it's mostly used by enterprises and telcos for uplinks, however it is currently put through a cable. I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to fire the light into space, where there is literally nothing.

You can even multiplex the light so you have a bunch of channels. You can transmit terabits of traffic through a single optical fibre strand about the size of a strand of human hair if you have the money.

With today's technology , any sort of wireless RF communication will have significant delay. One plausible technology would be free-space optical communication using direct point-to-point laser beams. However, due to orbits making distances between transmitters variable, the inconsistency of the latency of transmissions would require multiple satellites in a solar-stationary orbits if you were to create a network around the same orbital path of the planetary body you are trying to network. In other words, it would require many devices lined up within a small margin of error, which often can complicate something as vital as consistent communication.

t. telecom worker.

Attached: title.jpg (400x219, 21K)

Im not that fucking stupid, i know what fibre optics is. But LiFi is relatively new, and although i dont see a point in using it in a home environment, it makes sense for, like you said,
>I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to fire the light into space, where there is literally nothing

Like 15-20 minutes in the best of scenarios, but it will be around 5-12 hours hell when both planets are on opposite sides

Attached: mars.png (637x450, 5K)

ceptr.org/
holochain.org/

Works kind of like this but with a decentralized cluster working as the server. It works for storage and computing power.

No blocks so blocktime isn't an issue and you can have peers that would be on your planet and communicate out at intervals to create redundancy.
Mozilla is helping this team, they have been working on it for 10 years. Pretty fun to look into.

LiFi uses visible light and would have issues with dispersion over long distances. Its a technology designed to replace short distance wireless communication. What you're wanting is this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication

Attached: 1351709077526.gif (200x152, 1M)

Minimum latency is 3 minutes and maximum latency is 22 minutes.

There would have to be a local server farm that big hosting companies pay into to replicate their data to. Do everyone else, there would have to be a service on earth that goes a bit like this.

Assuming Light is the medium of transfer, 10 times redundant transmission ect, all that layer 2 stuff, boring.
It will work like a bus system. You send your request for a web page out to the "internet", it gets a bus ticket for the soonest available bus seat. The bus leaves with your request and arrives at earth. Once there, it goes to a virtual client where that client makes the request to the server, does all the normal tcp/ip, ect, and gets the full web page. The page is then compressed and given a bus ticket to Mars. once the bus leaves and arrives back in Mars, it gets sent to your computer, and you have your web page.

Of course as this becomes more of a thing, web companies too poor to provide a local cashe will streamline it so it only requires one round trip to get the usable information.

They aren't going to use light. It will just be radio/microwave links like they use now.

with radios

They'd probably have a local planet cache that slowly trickles in updates that the average joe wouldn't notice.
Just don't do anything that involves real time :^)

you get better bandwidth from laser comms,

immutable, content-addressed websites will become a lot more important since they will be easier to mirror

Same shit in a vacuum, microwave is as fast as light.

That's because microwave is a spectrum of light dipshit

>When all the planets align!

Lasers. Probably microwaves for the long haul shots.
Main ground stations around the world to relay satellites in geosynchronous orbits who then shoot to the next relay satellites spread throughout interplanetary space. Would look like a giant chain from point A to point B. I couldn't tell you the specifics of how far apart each relay sat would need to be; you'd have to physics that shit once you know the capabilities of your transmission system.
Wouldn't matter on what axis/direction you're shooting as long as you make sure there's no obstacles in the ways (which is highly unlikely but possible). Transmissions would be in short bursts at fixed intervals. Transmitters would have to be extremely powerful and precise.

Attached: 1487429080347.gif (500x700, 999K)

No shit nigger, I'm just pointing out that the latency won't change if that was the other posters concern

I'll be like the 90s again!

Hey now, watch it with the N word there buddy

fiber

Microwave will be a longer wavelength than light. It will have more distance have less throughput. If we're talking about networking two planetary bodies together, you will want to increase bandwidth. Microwave is fine for talking to single devices but for a larger network that demands more bandwidth, the speed of light is not the concern.

Attached: 1333124554614.gif (200x200, 1.83M)

>fucking martians get off the server
>you're laggy as shit fuck off

back to plebbit, kike

>Post to thread on 4chins
>Archived

Run a really long pole between the planets and then rock it back and forth to transmit data faster than light. Add more poles to increase bandwidth.

Why would you use such hateful language? I think you need to either calm down or go back to your cesspit

Yes, that's why I originally said assuming light is medium. You want as much fucking bandwidth as possible so that the round trip "bus tickets" are not so expensive that no one can afford it. Or if it will be free, not so delayed that you're reserving a seat days away.

And to dive into L2 of it, we're talking so much overhead. A solid burst of Retransmissions for packet reconstruction at each end, it's going to be taking up tons of bandwidth. Not to mention dead times when LOS is blocked.

Unless we can figure out some type of quantum network hub, that will likely be the only viable option.

RANDY YOU'RE LAGGING THE SERVER

That would only travel at the speed of sound. Far far slower. But it's not possible anyway

Sound can't travel through space dude. Regardless the pole only needs to move a fraction of an inch, which could be done in way less than a second, so it's faster than light speed.

My work in telecom is entirely L1, L2 with limited L3, so I mostly am thinking from a L1/2 standpoint. The only way I can imagine it working well is setting up a ring of satellites in the same path of the planet you are trying to interconnect so that there will always be available a closest possible path for the signal to transmit. From there there would also have to be multiple geostationary orbits around the planet being networked. This would average out the travel time for communications, no matter the position of the planet. So yeah, it would require a massive team to maintain.

Nah, I think we can just do planet to planet directly, I'm just not sure how fast we can go without error.

The lenses and tracking system would be a feat of fucking engineering though, that's for sure.

imagine online games that are chinks playing against martians, you'd have to wait years for it to register your input at the server

802.11t(achyons)

Except when there are other astrological bodies in the way, like the sun. If we're talking about networking Mars and Earth, Mars's closest approach to earth is 54.6 million kilometers, which doesn't happen very often. The farthest apart they can be is about 401 million km. The average distance is about 225 million km. With a single point to point connection, assuming there's no star in the way, would have a massive variable of bandwidth able to be communicated between the two bodies.

Attached: DQmadHpQpNzkp67DsGJ7JUP3n7MVcb74bh4Ug86a6Mb6QPP.jpg (2560x1337, 217K)

you see a qt alien grill on interstellar dating app, but she died 10,000 years ago, because that's how long it took for the data to arrive, you tell her to open bobs, 10,000 years after you die, you get an error message that she doesn't exist

Attached: 9k=.jpg (278x181, 7K)

fucking ni/g/Jow Forumsers,
a whole board and nobody knows the fundamentals of space communications
radio-electronics.com/info/propagation/path-loss/free-space-formula-equation.php

you cannot have a 4niggawatt transmitter on e.g. voyager, you cannot send data from mars via an antenna with 10000dbi gain,
so, with a simple formula you know how far you can transmit a couple values.

Stuff being in the way can be calculated and planned for. Downtime will be a way of life. 100% Isa stupid goal for a first implementation

>log into Half Life 3 MMO Alpha
>Mars servers still not up :(

>Perpetual God Emperor Trump
>Nationalizing anything

doesn't really matter in itself, we'd get rangebanned in 12hours anyway. it's more important to figure out how to evade a planetary ban

the obvious and no retarded choice would be to have local caches and asynchonous chron jobs to keep them updated every few hours?
obviously there would need to be "real-time" comms for shit like government red-lines and shit assuming space colonies

>"instant quantum communication"
>mfw he fell for an IFuckingLoveScience meme

Attached: 1525622183848.jpg (600x600, 59K)

Given the limits of our current understanding of the universe, interplanetary internet will never be anything more than a same-day postal service.

Attached: 1514692319470.jpg (1920x1080, 678K)

>GET
>not blazing trails in space and defeating the Beings in the Warp
>not unifying the galaxy

Attached: 462.jpg (646x720, 87K)

Interesting stuff, desu

Attached: wtf 1523740499245.jpg (435x490, 49K)

the absolute state of Jow Forums

Bitch lasagna.

lasers all the time, on delay of course, due to the differences of time and Einstein physics.

Actually due to the sun's gravity effecting mars less they would we waiting for you due to time dilation they will in the future, while you in the past.

There would have to be a ring of buoys near the orbit of each planet, and another ring of buoys between them above and/or below the solar plane. There would also have to be Lagrange point buoys around each planet to function as initial and final points before you hit the planet wide networks on either side. Ideally you would have two rings, one above and one below the solar plane for redundancy.

Traffic would travel through the planetary network to the exit nodes at a Lagrange point (think of it like the ultimate edge router). Once it leaves that link it would move through the buoy system. Based on constant low level communication among the buoys themselves they should be able to determine the fastest path between each Lagrange point node. If the fastest path is congested switch to the second fastest, etc. Once it paths through the buoys it would then hit the Lagrange point node and begin traveling through the other planet's network.

Like it already does when NASA communicates with its rovers. Here's a hint: It's awfully long delay.

Then to complicate things even worse there are periods of time when Mars will be behind the sun since we don't orbit at the same speeds. When this happens there will be no communication possible period. This happens every 2 years and lasts over a week.

>got ripped off by those fucking volus again

Attached: ME3_Citadel.png (797x535, 520K)

Problem solved. The boomarange takes 5-12 hours to come back to Earth btw.

Forgot image

Attached: 1506180924865.png (637x450, 11K)

WE WILL HAVE CAT 50 BY THEN

Light is not a likely candidate for interplanetary communication. At least, not this close to the Sun. There's too much noise. The Sun emits most of it's EM radiation in the light spectrum. The tolerances on a laser that keeps a tight enough beam for accurate decoding across the kind of distance we're talking about would be insane. Better to use microwave and radio, as has been said. Actually, we're more likely to use X-ray than light. But I don't think bandwidth would be much of an issue between planets, since you could use the entire radio/microwave spectrum in tight beams.

Just to be clear, the Sun emits over a billion times more energy in the light spectrum than radio.

Attached: solar_em_spectrum_smoothed_graph.gif (732x428, 15K)

>who the fuck is going to be trading memecurrency on mars
Due to international treaty, no country is allowed to claim land on celestial bodies which means no official existing currencies. It's not a far out idea to image colonists establishing their own cryto memecurrency as their official form of currency.

But what if someone just decides to make a country on Mars?

relays

if any of you go to mars remember to bring your programming socks!

Attached: 1488397975326.jpg (768x1024, 375K)

>The speed of light
>Light travels at approximately 186,282 miles per second (299,792 km per second). Therefore, a light shining from the surface of Mars would take the following amount of time to reach Earth (or vice versa):
>Closest possible approach: 182 seconds, or 3.03 minutes
>Closest recorded approach: 187 seconds, or 3.11 minutes
>Farthest approach: 1,342 seconds, or 22.4 minutes
>On average: 751 seconds, or just over 12.5 minutes

Comparatively, it takes ~159ms to get from Syndey to LA

sm h tb h fa m

Lasers don't have to be visible light ya know...