/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=WCtT1RmwTd4

>Thread theme (also unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

previous thread:

Attached: f91w_silver.jpg (488x488, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cheapestnatostraps.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pray for horology and confess your /wt/ sins.

Attached: confess.png (1229x1160, 58K)

Why are dumbass mods banning these?

I like this. I have the one with the metal links but it always catches my italian arm hairs

i want a Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz, is something wrong with them?

>hard to maintain
im more into the case form rather than the movement, is there any alternative?

Because it's mostly shitposting and /fa/ tier stuff.

That being said, I like the this multi-timezone Casio. I have another basic analog Casio with a plastic strap, and it gets itchy with sweat. This one doesn't, and it looks better for my white collar job. I was hoping that I could look at the top left dial and keep the digital output on the other time zone I wanted, but it is hard to read. It's very stylish, and fits well, so it actuality benefits me.

Attached: PSX_20180508_202048.jpg (2238x2581, 1.05M)

Maybe the third time will be the charm. Third for the Lemania 5100.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20170428_132936.jpg (1277x1277, 834K)

>1530
ye, they go for double the price than the Oysterquartz

>Because it's mostly shitposting and /fa/ tier stuff.
so a mod that likes to post on /wt/ just banned it for a picture? moderation can suck my balls at this point

wtf guys

Attached: 1523831790652.jpg (4032x3024, 2.03M)

They should ban all the avatarfags instead of the entire thread. Why is everyone being punished because mods are too sorry to do the job they volunteered for?

No kidding.

mine is on the way boseph

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 7.34.27 PM.png (1544x688, 185K)

where to get the best nato traps?

I get them on ebay. You can find them cheaper on ali but you can get nato brand nato straps for $12 on ebay, that's where I got my good ones. Seller in pic related

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 7.37.08 PM.png (1034x668, 236K)

Tasteful and stylish, you are my horological superhero fat brah.

Wasn't sold on G Shocks, but damn this thing is great with the solar and atomic timekeeping

Attached: IMG_20180429_171942.jpg (2000x1500, 1.14M)

they look very chinky

I've got a couple more strap options coming for this watch. I found a good source for brushed finish shark mesh and I ordered a genuine sailcloth strap to try out.

Being so picky about which watches I actually want to buy means I experiment a lot with strap options on the watches I have.

nah those are the good ones IMO, swiss made, they break in and are of good quality

:S not trusting you user

I have four of them I don’t know what to tell you

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.39M)

Attached: 48AF6F9E-6F16-4712-AB93-C379557899E0.jpg (2401x2981, 1.34M)

so not chromed? i clicked the wrong article then, but still looks very chinky store

What exactly did you mean by that image?

I like Maratac straps.

They are swiss

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.63M)

Thank you to the mod who got rid of that freak.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.79M)

and so is cheapestnatostraps.com/

k

There was a chick (I hope) just posted here, what was her sauce?

ciara from /b/

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 11.20.48 AM.png (1332x1166, 1.86M)

You need some perlon boi
G Shocks are great, I can’t tell what’s going on in your negative display sub-dials though.

Attached: 0D1ED23C-CB56-45CF-B510-B74C7C7C7F42.jpg (2868x2919, 1.9M)

How fucking dumb are you?

>I can’t tell what’s going on in your negative display sub-dials though.
Yeah that's my only complaint really is they are a little too dark

Attached: IMG_20180216_214440.jpg (1400x1500, 719K)

>and so is cheapestnatostraps.com/
those are only 10. something inches with the buckle, mine are 12 without

lol wtf

>You need some perlon boi
maybe one day

Not very, why? If you're implying reverse image searches, all the engines return nothing, cunt.

I’ve thought about getting a strapcode bracelet for my Mako II but I’m worried that money would be put to better use stuck in a piggy bank saving for a luxury watch. Are hollow end links that big a deal?

>Not very, why? If you're implying reverse image searches, all the engines return nothing, cunt.
post more of her feet please

>Are hollow end links that big a deal?
Only if you're an autist. Granted they are the weakest part of the watch, but the rest of the bracelet is damn good.

I put my SKX on a nato, but I left the Ray on the bracelet because I really liked it.
I wouldn't bother upgrading the bracelet honestly, put the money into a better watch.

Attached: SKX007.jpg (1280x720, 155K)

what sapphire is that?

Not sure. There's a ton with different AF colors for the SKX

>Only if you're an autist. Granted they are the weakest part of the watch, but the rest of the bracelet is damn good.
I wear mine on perlon most of the time anyway. It’s a shame though, the rest of the Mako bracelet is really nice. I wish I could buy solid end links by themselves for it.

Going on work related conference that will last over a week. Will be 80% informal 20% formal/dinner/suit wear.

During the informal times I will be pretty physically active.

Which one(s) should I take?

The GS on the left has been replaced with another GS, sbgv009.

Attached: IMG_20180324_104414.jpg (2960x2585, 1.22M)

what size is the Exp I?

GS formal

Explorer active

Much appreceiated.

Explorer for general use, metro for formal.

36mm, 114270

Sounds like a good idea user

np

Why did you replace that GS with an ugly one? You downgraded for sure.
I guess take the Nomos for formal time and your ugly GS for wakeboarding or whatever

I'd like to make an offer on the Exp I

I've tried the metro at formal events and surprisingly enough it sort of sticks out. Even more so than the Explorer and GS you see in that picture. It's weird.

If it says Explorer at 12:00 it's 36mm, if it says Explorer at 6:00 it's 39mm.

Attached: DSC_5874.jpg (1500x998, 568K)

Really? You'd think something with a simple silver dial & a leather strap would fit the bill.

Very tasteful collection.

yeah you have a tasteful collection brah, good job

I would like one of those weird paper display seikos myself

ty :)

Would you rather have a used (1989) Day-Date, a new DateJust, or a new explorer?

I like it user.

I think it's the blue green areas that make it stand out.

You can make plenty of offers in places like Chrono24 user. I won't be selling mine.

Attached: IMG_20180428_082224.jpg (3028x3111, 1.6M)

I was kidding, I don't think anyone who owns an Exp I would part with it.

I'm seriously considering buying one, I need to try one on (considering my height and wrist-size, it may look off). we'll see. I can't do the 39mm one, I feel that's heresy.

Is there something like a F-91W with automatic time sync?

Of those I'd probably do the Explorer as casual and your new GS as formal.

Though I'd seriously consider the 62mas re-issue just to see what it was like on the wrist as I've never handled one up close.

Anyone got a real breakdown on GS servicing?
I'm going to buy my first /real/ (non-vintage) watch within the year and I want to know how much of a pain they are to get serviced and how often they need it.
I'm considering either a Hi Beat or Spring Drive.

Attached: sbgm021-b.jpg (600x700, 93K)

You can find Z series 114270's for competitive prices if you look hard enough user.

I bought mine while spending some time in HK. The explorer I, small watches in general, aren't popular there. So dealers will often have them for some fairly decent prices.

I bought mine from a guy who's business name is "Alex Pig". Went to his shop to personally inspect the watch after bidding on it online. He's legit, so you might want to keep an eye on his online stores.

Attached: IMG_20180324_115455.jpg (2858x3651, 2.12M)

I've read that supposedly if the watch is carried by the official Seiko AD's that servicing is pretty standard. You just mail it and they handle everything.

The 9F GS's are serviced here in the USA, if that's where you live. You can find the estimates for the model or movement on the SeikoUSA website.

I will probably need good water resistance and a solid lume, so I will make that my second choice for the daily while I'm out there.

Also, by "there" I mean Asia in general.

Look for reputable HK or Japanese sellers.

:O gorgeous and perfect

It's not like you need to get it serviced very often. Probably once every seven or eight years will do fine, and I'm sure you could even stretch it out longer than that if you don't care about it being off by a few seconds a day. I'm sure you just mail it to Seiko and they'll fix it up and send it back in a month or two.

once it's discontinued, you will NOT be able to buy parts for it.

SAD!

Wait, you bought a real Rolex in Hong Kong?

I would never do that, given how many fakes there are. I would be afraid of getting ripped off.

Boctok.

Attached: IMG_20180508_170248.jpg (1920x2560, 1.28M)

Pic is a screenshot from watchuseek. They’re quotes for overhauls
Keep in mind the Spring Drive shouldn’t need to be serviced as often as the mechanical.
GS keeps a 30 year supply of spare parts.

Attached: 522A3832-AB95-4987-A857-EBD3B6473CC9.jpg (633x674, 90K)

oh 30! NICE!!

stock vostok look always shit but the mods are pretty gud improvements, Iv seen on with a sand blasted case, new dial and hands that was perfect!

You'd have to step up to a 5600 series

excuse my stupidity my brother, what model is this watch?

1989 Day Date so I can act out my Glengary GlenRoss and American Psycho fantasies.

Now excuse me, I need to return some video tapes.

not op, but it's a Casio AE1200WHD-1A

Also not OP, but my local Walton's Market had a flash sale on their jewelry counter and I picked one of these up for $15. Really like it, one of my few digital pieces

I think I might be a horosexual watchkin. Is there a surgical procedure to aid me on my quest for horological excellence?

Attached: rolexpenis.png (511x367, 279K)

Yeah. I researched the guy for a long time and he had good reviews from the Rolex and WUS forums.

I also bought the watch through escrow. First thing I did when I got back home was to get it verified by my local AD which was nice enough to take a look at it.

Are you the guy I took all those photos of the serial numbers and paperwork for? Glad you actually bought it and it was legit.

Attached: IMG_20171223_185048.jpg (1200x1600, 413K)

Philippe Dufour you say? I agree. The best.

Attached: Dufour.jpg (1178x899, 364K)

What are other brands with Dufour level of beveling?

Good info, thanks.

>7 or 8 years
Really? I heard the Hi Beats need servicing more often due to the, well, high beats.

I have a good vintage collection. Used to that. There are always parts somewhere.

Wow, that's not bad, I expected way worse.

Yeah that's me. I also had the watch serviced not long after the escrow cleared by an AD, so it was an extra step for peace of mind.

Thank you for taking those photos.

I'm pretty sure the Chopard and Lange photos are taken through a display caseback that has smudges and stuff on it, they're definitely not ideal comparison photos. But also, the Chopard and Patek look surprisingly rough, and it looks like that plate underneath in the Patek photo has some pretty rough perlage too.

Probably very few, and probably mostly independent watchmakers rather than companies.

There aren't.
Semi-related, anyone know how RGMs are finished. They're like ALMOST getting interesting. I like how they've been improving over the years.

pls 2 post collecshun

Does Jow Forums have any interest in Jaquet Droz automata pieces? They're neat as fuck, I don't care what people says, it's awesome to have moving mechanical sculptures on your wrist

Attached: Jaquet-Droz-Tropical-Bird-Repeater-5.jpg (1000x851, 244K)

tacky as fuck

Interesting, but gaudy and not something I'd ever wear

I'm thinking about getting a Grand Seiko SnowFlake SBGA211G, anyone going to try to talk me out of it?

There are better looking GS.

Like?