So Google announced that Linux apps will be supported on ChromeOS...

So Google announced that Linux apps will be supported on ChromeOS. Will this result in Chromebooks a much more viable daily laptop choice?

Attached: 1515777062122.png (301x267, 56K)

Chromebooks are very low end computers.

Why not format the Chromebook and install a non pozzed distro from the start?

*halts your plan of action*

Attached: file.png (695x391, 238K)

>low end
>pixelbook

What is a "Linux app"? Please provide a strict definition.

How is that different from the beginning?

Attached: chrome os.png (2560x1700, 801K)

This may be controversial here, but thats the best laptop I've ever used

Attached: 1505677927727.jpg (349x328, 13K)

last time i posted links i got banned for 7 days, so instead just go and search for the announcement made by Google today at Google I/O

Two issues, OP!

1. Native Linux apps are said to be running in a VM, slow performance.
2. ChromeOS is only compatible with Chromebooks, meaning I can't install officially supported ChromeOS in my PC. No go for me.

Also is ChromeOS fully open source?

For example Android Studio. Basically they want to make it much easier for people to develop things on it.

ChromiumOS is open source.

>Linux apps are said to be running in a VM, slow performance
This isn't inherent. Hypervisor technology has come a long way, in parallel with recompilers.

>ChromeOS is only compatible with Chromebooks
You can install the open source counterpart which is the same distribution without Google's apps bundled (Gmail, Chrome, etc). You can install them on top, post installation though, so long as there are builds for your architecture (likely)

ChromeOS is (literally) based on Gentoo. There's no reason why they can't do it already.

Probably without Developer Mode so you don’t undermine the security of the device.

Also pretty sure they mean to support only containerized apps through Snap/Flatpak or their own custom solution.

Chrome OS is slowly becoming more and more like a full-fledged desktop OS but with enforced sandboxing for everything not in the OS level. This is great for security and system stability, but it’s sad that it’s Google who’s doing it, because they’ll eventually discontinue it or fuck it up somehow. And that’s not even getting into the privacy violations, lack of updates, locked bootloaders, etc.

Or maybe it’s all bullshit and the fad of putting everything in containers will eventually end. We’ll see.

Can you install support for Android apps in the open source build? Because last time I looked into it, you couldn’t.

Either way the fact that Google could simply block custom chromium OS builds from using their apps at any time should tell you that they eventually will. Look at Android and SafetyNet and the mess they’ve made. Google is gonna do the same thing all over again.

i'm not going to run a google computer user.

it doesn't matter how good it is or how compatible it is with existing applications

onions

Is there no open source equivalent?
For example, on Android, if you don't want to (or can't) use Google's implementation of "Play Services", there is MicroG, an open source implementation that's compatible.

I'm surprised that someone hasen't just shimmed the runtime in there.

>Also pretty sure they mean to support only containerized apps through Snap/Flatpak or their own custom solution.
This is interesting. With the recent hype around Fuschia, I wonder if it will contain compatability layers (ABI compat) for Linux and Android binaries. IIRC, that kind of stuff is supposed to be simpler to implement for microkernels.

Falls in line with the rest of what you posted too. People speak well of L4 for all its separation of processes.

ChromeOS will be more common than MacOS one day.

Stop feeding the botnet.

>trying to fuel the chromeos botnet meme

gtk, qt or some self-contained meme package like snap, flatpak or appimages?

No they made the worst possible choice: debian VM

Why not a container?

If you're going to use nonfree stuff, why bother with Linux and just go with Mac or Windows for shit that actually works and earns you money?

Maybe they don’t think they’re secure enough? Who knows. Containers are clearly the best choice.

I think they’re intentionally crippling the platform so that Linux apps are always second-class. It might be a feature intended for developers considering they used Atom and Android Studio as examples. They’d probably show off stuff like Firefox, Steam, Blender and Resolve if this was targeted at normies.

I would sooner send an extra $200-$300 and get a laptop whose hardware is not a from the piece of shit bin.

Why spend more than $500 on a laptop anyways?
Do you need that much? What do you have a desktop for?
I still use my core2 from 2007 for most browsing, music etc and it just werks

>This is interesting. With the recent hype around Fuschia, I wonder if it will contain compatability layers (ABI compat) for Linux and Android binaries. IIRC, that kind of stuff is supposed to be simpler to implement for microkernels.
This has been announced waaaay back. Fuchsia will run android apps and it already has POSIX layer. Linux compatibility isn't planned (yet?). Too bad they adopted the pos that is POSIX. I was hoping they wouldn't go down that road and we could perhaps finally get a modern OS.

Yes it means when the used thinkpad meme dies (as they become too old, and newer lenovo is already shit) people will use chromebooks instead

you cant, locked bios

Fuck off Google shill.

Ah ah, hold it

Linux KVM support is what's going to be added. Performance drops are very negligible, so you don't need to worry about that.

Also, we're talking about Chromebooks, not trying to run ChromeOS on your desktop. Nobody does that.

Attached: 1475637782136.jpg (500x329, 61K)

In theory, they could just add something new and keep the POSIX compatibility layer, no? After launch and adoption that is.

Definitely

An userspace program, you autistic fuck

Does this mean... FIREFOX ON THE CHROMEBOOK???!!!

Attached: ad30.jpg (917x635, 72K)

Aren't chromebooks just a phone with a keyboard and screen

Having POSIX interface makes it absolutely useless to create something new as developers would never switch. It's part of why i'm working with sel4 in my free time - most people involved with sel4 don't want POSIX, though there are some that do.

Crouton already existed, and you can also install linux and remove chromeos entirly. This is google embracing, extending, extinguishing.

No, although some of them use arm processors they really are generally more lower end laptops for people who plan to store most of their stuff somewhere else.

That being said I don't actually know how well a modern smartphone would handle desktop applications if it was connected to a larger monitor and keyboard (assuming the phone and monitor were designed to be compatable).

Pretty much the same, as phone screens these days are rather high res, and most chromecucks are still rocking 1080p or lower.

What's the point then?

If they make a Surface Pro/Surface Book like device I'll probably switch.

just use a raspberry pi you weapon

Its not exactly a matter of resolution but more of how much little interactive things you've got on the screen at once that bog down the cpu. I mean, if that was absolutely the case, you'd think I would have heard of more phone monitors besides the librem 5 which it is only expected to have that because so much of its available software sucks ass to use on a tiny screen.

I did look up a few other options for this, because I do like the idea of minimizing how many devices I have lying around. Unfortunately none of them can completely replace a desktop environment. There's andromium, but it makes me wonder how hot the phone is going to get if I tried to use that. Their superbook also has the phone awkwardly flopping around on a usb cord. The razer phone has a laptop shaped dock prototype which meshes really well, but I wish it was a 2 in 1 form factor. Because if it was and they actually sold it, I would seriously reconsider replacing my phone.

And how would that work? Like FreeBSD's Linux binary emulation?

Well it isn't a chroot session the way crouton is, which is what this is trying to wipe out. Their goal seems to be to get linux software users who don't want to deal with the hassle of installing a new OS, which crouton is closer to than this. Or maybe their goal is to pretend to go after these people (and I wouldn't know how many of them there really are) with a big enough fanfare to get people to stop trying to develop ways to install linux over machines that run google software.

This isn't your site, redditor. Your opinion is not controversial nobody nobody cares.

hahahahahaha

Attached: Screenshot 2018-05-09 at 8.49.22 AM.png (1366x768, 1.46M)

I've been running GallimOS on a CB3-131 for a couple months now as my daily driver. Let me know when this model can natively run Androids apps like was promised a year ago you fucks.
The only other complaint I have is storage space, but I don't play video games and anything else can be stored on a permanently mounted SD card or a USB.