What's Jow Forums's opinion on the 80 column rule?

What's Jow Forums's opinion on the 80 column rule?
And if you don't follow it then what do you follow?

Attached: 1508616810226.png (128x128, 21K)

Come on.

I went to 99 personally.

But it's generally a good idea, if only because you can see multiple files at once on the same monitor.

I have 100 as a reminder and 120 as a hard limit set up.
Mostly I stay around 80 or so though.

Only Java pajeets with 64 character method names dislike it.

Bump

2fuckingtrue
80 is impossible in Java

but this

2 space or 4 space tabs?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-09_00-46-45.png (1023x472, 59K)

That's my reason for favoring spaces. You can't use tabs for alignment, so you are forced to mix. So you might as well keep things simple and use spaces everywhere.

monitors are wide enough nowadays that you can probably expand it to like 100-120
depends on the naming conventions for whatever you're working on imo

I don't have a line length limit. I'm not going to cuck my code to some arbitrary limit so some brainlet who is too low in the IQ department to even read it doesn't get triggered. This isn't the fucking 80s where it's normal for a computer to have an 80 wide character screen. If your autism is bothered by it so much, set your editor to wrap at 80 lines. I'm not going to coddle tards and their tard feelings.

Attached: 0c234c4c-7f94-49e6-8804-54117e403b24.jpg (500x269, 37K)

This only works if everything being aligned is at the same indentation level.

Meanwhile using spaces for everything always works

why the fuck would you want to align things at different indentation levels?

Ah, the classic "why would you want to do that" argument

it's not an argument, i'm genuinely curious

if two adjacent things are on different indentation levels, then one thing is nested inside the other.

Why, then, would it ever be appropriate to align them together?

I personally use the 80 row rule where you combine rows until you're left with 80 lines. This way you don't need to scroll up and down. The only downside is that it's quite hard to do in Python but usually with enough lambdas it works out in the end

Maybe I want a block of comments to the right of that code to be aligned?

you mean assembly-style comments per line of code? you'd always use spaces there, regardless of whether you're indenting with tabs or spaces.

fn foo() { // This really
do_something(); // isn't all that
return 1; // hard to
} // understand

Meanwhile, in unexpected-length-tab-for-indentation-land:
fn foo() { // This really
do_something(); // isn't all that
return 1; // hard to
} // understand

oh i see, that makes sense
in that case, i'd agree that spaces for indentation is the way to go.

is that style used much in practice? i've personally never seen it

>is that style used much in practice?
I hope not and doubt it, but that's not the only instance of tabs-for-indentation fucking up spaced-alignment. It's better to just use spaces all the time for everything and always guarantee correctness than to use tabs sometimes and hope nobody ever does anything with tab-incompatible alignment.

80 columns because I think it looks better.

>Meanwhile using spaces for everything always works
Exactly. Meanwhile, is there any argument for using a mix of tabs and spaces?

Jow Forumsuys i know always spaces for everything
but 2 space levels or 4?

i always thought 4 was the standard but lately i've seen so many 2s. is it a js thing?

>is there any argument for using a mix of tabs and spaces?
The only argument is "I desperately want to use tabs but claiming they work for alignment is too retarded even for me. Hopefully nobody notices if I just use them for indentation"

It depends on what you prefer. I personally like 2, and have never had an issue with it being too small to tell an indentation level at a glance.